Options

Sensor cleaning

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 5, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    I just tried placing my finger over the red tip. Air sucks in the same speed either way. Nothing is getting sucked in through the top as far as I can tell.

I have the largest of the three sizes of the Giottos rocket.
    David, please do this simple test. Squeeze and release the bulb. Hear that whistle when you release it? Now squeeze the bulb, and place your finger over the red tip. Release the bulb. Note that there's no whistle. That whistling noise is air rushing into the red tip when you release. Unless I miss my guess, you will also notice the bulb filling significantly more slowly with the red tip nozzle covered.

And how could it not be so? On one hand you have the inlet with a check valve. On the other hand, you have an open nozzle with no valve. Why on earth wouldn't air get sucked into the nozzle? It doesn't even have the restriction of the check valve on the inlet? And yes, I have the large Giottos Rocket as well.

Any other Rocket Blower owners want to try this?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited November 5, 2005
    sorry to disappoint
    Well, what can I say different? Mine doesn't whistle. Mine has no air rushing into the tip. Mine doesn't fill at any different speeds, regardless. My copy works great.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Well, what can I say different? Mine doesn't whistle. Mine has no air rushing into the tip. Mine doesn't fill at any different speeds, regardless. My copy works great.
    If the blower does indeed fill at the same speed regardless of which orfice is covered, then 50% of the return air comes in through the nozzle. It's irrefutable physics.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    My Canon 20D, under warranty, has a few issues, so I need to send it back to Canon for "repairs". :cry Two weeks or so w/o a camera, but the birders say to do it now while the birds are out in the fields, so I will have the camera here when the eagles come back hungry.

That is the bad news. The good news is:

CANON WILL CLEAN MY SENSOR FOR FREE WHILE IT IS THERE.clap.gif

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    That is the bad news. The good news is:
    CANON WILL CLEAN MY SENSOR FOR FREE WHILE IT IS THERE.clap.gif

ginger
    Good luck with that. I just got mine back from service and the sensor was dirtier than when it went in. On the other hand, they fixed my camera and that was all that mattered.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    kdog wrote:
    Good luck with that. I just got mine back from service and the sensor was dirtier than when it went in. On the other hand, they fixed my camera and that was all that mattered.
    I even added a note saying that the man had promised the service. Mine is super dirty.

Yes, if I could just get my camera back. And in good shape! Actually they weren't problems I couldn't live with, but any worse, or a decision to sell the camera, and I would wish I had had it fixed. So I bit the bullet!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Good website reference on Sensor Cleaning
    Have you seen this site?

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

It has really thorough reviews of products and instructions on cleaning your sensors.

cheers,
    Trish
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    You can get this done professionally while you wait at FotoCare in NYC for $50. Given my frustrations with it in the past, that might be a good deal if you happen to be in the neighborhood.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Wow, this thread has saved the rest of my hair. I just got my first ever dSLR a month ago and had no idea dust would be a problem. So I was all sad when I saw motes in my blue sky vacation photos and, seeing some dust inside the lens that couldn't be blown off, assumed that was the problem. I glanced at the sensor but didn't see anything, so I was pretty sure it was the lens dust.

11doh.gifDon't tell that the dust was actually on the sensor. I just got the RMA replacement lens today and..the spots are still in my photos. So I took a closer look at the sensor and saw something.

And then couldn't get it off.
    And then started thinking I'd have to send it to Canon to be fixed/cleaned.
    And then thought to search dgrin.
    And then saw this thread and realized it was dust, not a defect...

This forum has fast become my first stop any time I have a photo question. clap.gif THANKS!!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    asd wrote:
    And then thought to search dgrin.
    And then saw this thread and realized it was dust, not a defect...

This forum has fast become my first stop any time I have a photo question. clap.gif THANKS!!

thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Cleaning the "Wet" way works!
    EDIT: OOOPS - forgot to mention that YMMV - but It worked for me.

After reading all the posts in this thread, I figured I would take a look at the condition of my sensor. I thought it would be pretty good.

So, I mounted my 28-75 onto the camera, stopped it all the way down, zoomed all the way out, and pointed it at the white screen.

Got, as expected, a very nice gray image. But, wait! What are those few little dark spots. Just a couple. Thought I was doing good.

Loaded it into PS, apply AutoLevels. OH MY GOD! :uhoh:cry This is what I found....

Large55904946-L.jpg

Time to try to clean this little beast. Took out my trusty little brush, charged it. Did the "almost touch the sensor" thing and .....

NO CHANGE

Time to call in the big guns. I looked around found the Canandian company and the PRICES!! rolleyes1.gifscratch

Then, I went to Cooper Hill. Reading the information on the site, it became clear to me that this guy is not out to make a killing - just a buck or two. Fair enough - that's what business is all about.

So, I place the order with Cooper Hill on Sunday (5 Feb 2006), asking for the cheapest shipping they offered - figured I would see the package show up in a week.

I was delivered TODAY (7 Feb 2006). OK, UPS did their thing, but Cooper Hill REALLY did their thing in getting the package out the doorclap.gifthumbclap.gifthumb

I re-read all the instructions - don't want to totally screw up the sensor (or even screw it up just a little bit). The sensor swipe came already wrapped with a PEC Pad - I guess just to show the less mentally well-endowed individuals (like me) how it's supposed to be done. Took this little joy and PRACTICED on a CD jewel case. GOOD ADVISE thumb.gif It showed me where I was doing a less than wonderful job with the swipe.

OK, I've practiced. But, nothing gets done until the rubber meets the road. Time to give it a try. Sweat rolling down my face, dripping off my chin, and the rest of me looking like I'm working out in some place like the Amazon (I HATE the heat!)....
    • I load up the swipe with another, clean PEC pad (that wasn't so hard)
    • Mount the camera on a tripod, pointing up at approx 45 degrees - three hands are nice!
    • Pop the lens off the camera
    • Crank my head around to see the controls/LCD so I can put the camera in "sensor cleaning" mode (remember the angle of the camera?)
    • Wet the swipe with the MetOH
    • Move it across, down, and back
    • Turn off the camera (on the 20d this closes the shutter, pops the mirror back down...)
    • Re-mount the lens on the camera
    • Take the picture of the white screen
    This is the result of the first attempt at the "wet" solution:

55904944-L.jpg

OK, we're going in the right directionclap.gif

But, I'm not satisfied. I do this routine a total of 10 times before I get the following (it's not perfect, but it sure is better then what I started with).:

55904945-L.jpg

So, what's the take-away?
    1. Cooper Hill is a stand-up out-fit. No playing around. You order something and, based on my experience, you get it!!
    2. I'm a little long-winded
    3. The brush thingy may work for some, but it didn't work for me
    4. The wet solution did work
    5. There is some stress with doing the wet thing, especially the first time. But - after the 5th or 6th time, it gets to be old-hat!
    6. If I can do this well, most others will be able to do so much better
    7. Be sure to stop-down the lens all the way. For a drill, I did it wide-open once. Couldn't see any dust bunnies!
    If you have any doubts - do it - it's not bad at all!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Excellent post, Scott. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    I have horrible dust visible at f18 and above. But I am far to wussed out to try and clean it myself. Can I send this to Canon and pay for a cleaning? How would one do this?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 11, 2006
    Scott-

thanks for the post-

just ordered from copperhill-

george
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I have horrible dust visible at f18 and above. But I am far to wussed out to try and clean it myself. Can I send this to Canon and pay for a cleaning? How would one do this?
    Just take to a reputable camera shop...they do it here for about $30 USD equiv & its a brillient job. I go to onehere that sevices the local medias cameras & pick it up 3 hours later.

Remember i said reputable....i have never seen so many dodgy camera shops in my life as when i was in the US.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    Scott-

thanks for the post-

just ordered from copperhill-

george
    Please understand, I have no business connection to Cooper Hill (aside from the one order mentioned).

In addition, YMMV but I hope it doesn't.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 11, 2006
    didn't really consider it but thanks for mentioning it--

just impressed with your post enough to go for it myself--
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    It's a pity you don't know someone who cleans their own. Once you see it done, you'll realize it's no big deal. 5 minutes and you're done.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    It's a pity you don't know someone who cleans their own. Once you see it done, you'll realize it's no big deal. 5 minutes and you're done.

I am sure you are right, but I don't actually know anyone with a DSLR other than me, so unless someone can demonstrate, I am very uneasy about doing anythign that would void my warrenty.

Do you know if B&H does this kind of service? Any NYC "Reputable" camera shops?

Thanks.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    Durability of lens coatings
    First of all, which lens makes have the most durable coatings?

If there is this cardinal rule "never touch the lens", but you have to get rid of the dust, etc., and air jets won't do a good job, what next?

And finally, how much "touch" can the best (and on down to the worst) lens coatings take before you've adversely affected the properties those lenses were designed to deliver in the first place?
    Steve-o
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    Forehead wrote:

If there is this cardinal rule "never touch the lens", but you have to get rid of the dust, etc., and air jets won't do a good job, what next?

And finally, how much "touch" can the best (and on down to the worst) lens coatings take before you've adversely affected the properties those lenses were designed to deliver in the first place?

Dont read too much into it. Use a small hand held dust blower 1st...then a soft brush...then lens cleaner on paper lens cloth. Thats it...over & out for me.
  • Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    I have a 1D Mark 2 and a 20D and have never cleaned them (though I know they are mostly clean). What is the recommended package for a first time copperhill buyer?
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I am sure you are right, but I don't actually know anyone with a DSLR other than me, so unless someone can demonstrate, I am very uneasy about doing anythign that would void my warrenty.

Do you know if B&H does this kind of service? Any NYC "Reputable" camera shops?

Thanks.
    Sorry, Justiciero, I lost track of this thread.

The answer is yes, some Canon dealers that do repairs will clean your sensor for a fee. Be sure to test the results: point your lens at a bright, even surface, set it at f22 and take a shot. Do a before and after, so you can see how good a job they did.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    Forehead wrote:

Just use a good quality lens cloth. Google and you'll find a bunch, microfiber is popular these days.

Don't cram down really hard on the lens and you'll be fine.
    Sid.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    BBones wrote:
    I have a 1D Mark 2 and a 20D and have never cleaned them (though I know they are mostly clean). What is the recommended package for a first time copperhill buyer?

Just a bump...as I too have the same question but different cameras.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Just a bump...as I too have the same question but different cameras.

FWIW I've used the copperhill method and I must say that I'm not that impressed with it. When I get the chance I think I'll be trying the brush method next.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    FWIW I've used the copperhill method and I must say that I'm not that impressed with it. When I get the chance I think I'll be trying the brush method next.

Explain yourslef please, so we may understand what is left to be desired by this method of cleaning. headscratch.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Explain yourslef please, so we may understand what is left to be desired by this method of cleaning. headscratch.gif

I just didn't like it. I followed the directions exactly but the only thing that happened is that I just moved the dust around on the sensor. I had to repeat the process like 5 times to get a reasonably clean sensor.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I just didn't like it. I followed the directions exactly but the only thing that happened is that I just moved the dust around on the sensor. I had to repeat the process like 5 times to get a reasonably clean sensor.

AAAAAAAh...I see it is not as easy as Andy and others have led us to believe.....hmmmmm
    Thanks gives me at least something to ponder prior to purchasing a cleaning kit.

So has any one used any of the Visable Dust porducts??

Linky : http://www.visibledust.com/

looks a tad pricey, but then again this is to clean a pricey tool isn't it. :D

I guess I am just like almost everyone else..looking for the safest, best, easiest and of course LEST EXPENSIVE way to clean my tools.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    That's the brush method I was talking about. I like this page http://www.visibledust.com/long_term_sensor_cleaning_test.html