Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 24, 2006
    Don't get me started on the current state of the american publics IQ.

Objects in mirror appear to be loosing.

11doh.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    I still challenge the 2002 as the first sports sedan since the Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 I think should take that badge...it was faster and it was bigger, and there were a handful (IIRC 7...maybe 3, it was a single digit number) of them made in 1967.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 24, 2006
    Maybe it's the turbo I'm thinking of, but I'm pretty sure I once read a write up on an M 2002 that was the first M car and never saw US shores (and only saw a handful of sales) because it was offered right smack dab in the middle of the 1973 oil crisis.

googled the turbo, yup thats the one i was thinking of, it was the coloration of the stripes that made me think M.
    Yeah I think there are less than 10 in the states at this point. Not to hard to make a copy of one though.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    I still challenge the 2002 as the first sports sedan since the Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 I think should take that badge...it was faster and it was bigger, and there were a handful (IIRC 7...maybe 3, it was a single digit number) of them made in 1967.
    Ahh but the 2002's began before '67
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Ahh but the 2002's began before '67
    I thought they started in 68? Bah, either way, 1967, 4000lbs, 0-60 in 6.0 and 1/4 mile in 14.4 if you had a euro version. Then you take that, put in an msd ignition and high flow injectiors high flow fuel pump and your in the 13.7 1/4 mile range.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    BTW, had you heard about that BMW publicity stunt where they were restoring a 2002 inside a glass service bay near that four cylinder BMW HQ?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    BTW, had you heard about that BMW publicity stunt where they were restoring a 2002 inside a glass service bay near that four cylinder BMW HQ?
    Great idea. Link?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Are you a BMWCCA member? If so do you remember the Roundel where some guys made an extremely powerful one on the cheap? I forget the specifics, but I remember it being very cheap, very ratty, and very fast.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Are you a BMWCCA member? If so do you remember the Roundel where some guys made an extremely powerful one on the cheap? I forget the specifics, but I remember it being very cheap, very ratty, and very fast.
    nope, just joined last fall. It's easy to get out 300bhp from one of those engines though.

my buddies 2002
    19712002ConcordMotorsport017.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 24, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Cool. I love car restoration. I want another 2002.
    It wasn't a restoration, it was a buildup of a 2002 from all NOS parts. And they did it at the Mobile Tradition facility, very, very cool. It was in one of the BMW owner's mags my dad gave to me last year somewhere. I may still have it, look tonight, maybe.

BTW, since this bunch of misfits has become my extended family, I'll toot my own horn: I put on a good show at my oral qualifying exam this afternoon. I'm one step closer to actually being Dr.It.
    :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Good job Doc!

I also have good news. I just sold my 325ix :):

Big-blue-e34-that-everyone-hates here I come!
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Only one thing I can say Doc: The whistles go wooooooo

Zac (I should probably ask rather than guess, I've seen both, Zac or Zack, which do you prefer?), there is one thing you can do to make that e34 acceptable in my eyes (isn't it everybody's goal to earn my approval?): mod the heck out of the engine to the point where it'll make this look slow
    http://www.squidcar.com/videos/SatishT.mov
    The old 4 valve S600 engine in a 560SEC is what that is, running a 3.07 final drive.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Only one thing I can say Doc: The whistles go wooooooo

Zac (I should probably ask rather than guess, I've seen both, Zac or Zack, which do you prefer?), there is one thing you can do to make that e34 acceptable in my eyes (isn't it everybody's goal to earn my approval?): mod the heck out of the engine to the point where it'll make this look slow
    http://www.squidcar.com/videos/SatishT.mov
    The old 4 valve S600 engine in a 560SEC is what that is, running a 3.07 final drive.
    Richard
    Yeah right now the engine in there is really pokey for that car. I might pick up a cheap M3 engine which would be 168hp vs 275hp. Either that or a Turbo. I think i might like the turbo better
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Yeah right now the engine in there is really pokey for that car. I might pick up a cheap M3 engine which would be 168hp vs 275hp. Either that or a Turbo. I think i might like the turbo better

Oh man that's a 525? Sheesh all show no go...you might want to take off the aero stuff to reduce drag rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifYes, I know I know, I'm a fine one to talk driving (well not driving) a 3900lb car with 155hp and 196lb-ft (though it comes in at 2750rpm) but mine doesn't look fast either. Then again, there really is nothing like doing a 4 wheel drift in a car that's 196.7inches long
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Oh man that's a 525? Sheesh all show no go...you might want to take off the aero stuff to reduce drag rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifYes, I know I know, I'm a fine one to talk driving (well not driving) a 3900lb car with 155hp and 196lb-ft (though it comes in at 2750rpm) but mine doesn't look fast either. Then again, there really is nothing like doing a 4 wheel drift in a car that's 196.7inches long
    Yeah I know all show no go but I'll have to fix that but it probably won't be until next summer because an m3 enigne is 5k and a turbo is 4k so either way, not happening this summer.

I have 3 car shows in May and June and I hope to win the 5 series award!
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Yeah I know all show no go but I'll have to fix that but it probably won't be until next summer because an m3 enigne is 5k and a turbo is 4k so either way, not happening this summer.

Well, as long as your waiting...2 words and 1 number
    Merlin 632 Hardcore http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=28641&parentCategoryId=10763&langId=-1
    My only excuse for this post is that I haven't slept since Saturday night.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Well, as long as your waiting...2 words and 1 number
    Merlin 632 Hardcore http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=28641&parentCategoryId=10763&langId=-1
    My only excuse for this post is that I haven't slept since Saturday night.
    Ohh no! Thats hersey! Non BMW engine in a BMW?!

J/k of course but it would be much easier (bolt in) to drop in an m3 engine than to put in any other kind.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Ohh no! Thats hersey! Non BMW engine in a BMW?!

J/k of course but it would be much easier (bolt in) to drop in an m3 engine than to put in any other kind.

What about like an E34 540 engine?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Eh big V8 not too sure about that especially with gas prices as they are. The best bet for low fuel consumption would be a turbo plus I love that BOV sound :D
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Well it's official. I go the down payment from a moderator on www.bimmerforums.com who bought my car. He lives in NJ so my friend who is driving to NYC next weekend is going to bring it down there.

After I got the down payment from the 325ix, I sent it right on to Brent for this

IMG_0695.jpg

thumb.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 25, 2006
    I still disapprove of the fairly hideous glue-on attachments to that thing, but it's a heck of a deal for a 525. nice work Z thumb.gif

I'm gonna need to see me that thing in real life some day this summer. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I still disapprove of the fairly hideous glue-on attachments to that thing, but it's a heck of a deal for a 525. nice work Z thumb.gif

I'm gonna need to see me that thing in real life some day this summer. nod.gif

It's hideous but as long as he is happy with it. We all do stupid things when we are young after all sometimes when we are alittle older even.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

So, at the very least, are the headlight eyebrows going to go?
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    How 'bout replacing that little blue girlie-wing with a great big a** faux carbon fiber wing!rolleyes1.gif

Actually, it seems like you got a pretty good deal, Zak.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    So, at the very least, are the headlight eyebrows going to go?
    Whats wrong with these headlights, they're stock.

Plans for this summer
    Take off stickers (yucky carbon fiber, gold leaf, ect)
    Take off eyebrows
    Get euro bumper trim and paint it blue
    Euro smiley headlights with 6k HID conversion

Next summer
    Forced induction of newer engine

Thanks for the comments guys, It's a real all go no sho car but I hear it does handle well.
    -Eibach pro kit
    -Bilstein sport shocks
    -Racing Dynamics thick sway bars
    -Racing dynamics strut bars

Oh and there is literally $24k invested in this car since 1991 so yeah I got a great deal.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Whats wrong with these headlights, they're stock.

Plans for this summer
    Take off eyebrows

Euro smiley headlights with 6k HID conversion

You say it yourself, take off the eyebrows. I didn't say there's anything wrong with the lights, I said with those eyebrow things. Think twice before doing an HID conversion. Usually the conversion kits have no high beam, and those are junk. You're better off just putting some Cibie's in there (www.danielsternlighting.com is where I got mine) along with some +50 bulbs.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    You say it yourself, take off the eyebrows. I didn't say there's anything wrong with the lights, I said with those eyebrow things. Think twice before doing an HID conversion. Usually the conversion kits have no high beam, and those are junk. You're better off just putting some Cibie's in there (www.danielsternlighting.com is where I got mine) along with some +50 bulbs.
    Sorry read your post wrong.

6K HID kit for low beams is what I'm after. The kit is about $300 shipped.

Usually you'd only want low beams anyway.

Oh and the car also comes with strobe lights, but not installed. Anyone know what I can sell these for?
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Sorry read your post wrong.

6K HID kit for low beams is what I'm after. The kit is about $300 shipped.

Usually you'd only want low beams anyway

Why would you only want low beams? Also, FWIW, HID's suck in the fog. Also, a $300 HID kit? Who makes it. More money doesn't always mean better I agree, but typically they are double that. Still though, don't believe all the hype about HID, most of what they do is just blind other drivers. Cibies will give you greater light output AND create less glare.
This discussion has been closed.