Options

Picture of your local firetruck request...

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 23, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    Do you know if it's an older fire truck or a new one?

It's interesting to see the different colors fire trucks are. Red, white, yellow -- and one of the Carolinas has some blue trucks!

The soft plush fire truck is really neat too!

My son love firetrucks.. as well he sleeps with the truck pillow... the gold one is old .. it is in a collection of one of my students his grandfarther is the fire chief of our small town they restore them ..they had this one at a local car show...thumb.gif
  • Options
    Cota1992Cota1992 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Hi CJ!
    I came across this ite by accident as well and I will post some of my photos from the nation's Capitol here for you. We live in the North West part of Dc in sight and hearing of DCFD Station 31. You can see them going out in the winter (No leaves on the trees) and hear them all day and night long, in fact we have trouble sleeping some times when they have a quiet night as we are used to hearing them go out.

This photo is from last December right across the street where we live, DCFD Engine 28-Cleveland Park- taking the hose up after a false alarm. Almost all of the DCFD units have the name of it's area painted on the front, so you can always tell how far away from home it is. Cleveland park is only about two miles down the road and the next closest station.

I will have some more, I hope you enjoy!
    Art
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    Here's two DCFD Ladder Trucks making a arch with a large American flag on Constitution Ave between the White House grounds and the Washington monument (just to the right of the photo) for this years Saint Patrick's Day parade (Which should have been called the firefighter's parade as they were about half the entries)

Art
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    Classic Mack
    Here's a 1963 custom built Mack pumper from the Rockville MD Vol. FD. at the Parade.
    While just used for Prades and shows, it's still on the department roster.
    Art
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    Last one from the parade, and there were a LOT to choose from, This is the heliport crash rig from the Pentagon, the replacement for the rig destroyed in the 9/11 attack.
    Art
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    Engine 9 in the rain
    Two weks ago we had a fire in the building behind us. It was pouring when we ran outside (I just grabbed the camera on the way out the door) and I caught this shot of Engine 9 (U Street) in the rain. You can see how hard it's raining in the spotlight. Coming up Connecticut Ave in the background is DC's Hazmat 1.
    Art
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    The Fire Truck Next Door
    Last, here is Engine 31, that lives next to us, where it is parked, taking up after the fire, is less then half a block and in direct sight of the firehouse.
    I hope I didn't post too many, It's just hard to pick and choose from. If you would like to see more, just let me know.
    This is a wonderful thread and I signed up for this site just to post here.
    Art
  • Options
    fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    It's amazing to me how many different truck manufacturers make fire trucks!

However, I had no idea they were tracked during their lifetime. What stories some of these trucks could tell!

It's a freak show with some of these guys. I know one that can tell you withing about 5 minutes the entire history of every Mack CF model fire truck ever made. Who knows! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    From a recent fire down the street from me.

82848554-L.jpg
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    I love those old trucks. Wolfies' and Cota's shots of the old ones look great. There's something about their round body work and agressive grills and wheels that's strong stuff.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Nice night shot
    I'm glad it was a false alarm. CJ would probably tell me that's a pumper truck! Thanks for posting, I look forward to seeing some more!
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    That's a pretty dramatic photo!
    Cota1992 wrote:
    Here's two DCFD Ladder Trucks making a arch with a large American flag on Constitution Ave between the White House grounds and the Washington monument (just to the right of the photo) for this years Saint Patrick's Day parade (Which should have been called the firefighter's parade as they were about half the entries)

Art

CJ reads quite well, so I'll let him read this tomorrow when he comes to visit.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    That's pretty cool!
    Cota1992 wrote:
    Two weks ago we had a fire in the building behind us. It was pouring when we ran outside (I just grabbed the camera on the way out the door) and I caught this shot of Engine 9 (U Street) in the rain. You can see how hard it's raining in the spotlight. Coming up Connecticut Ave in the background is DC's Hazmat 1.
    Art

I can see the rain, but U Street on the truck is pretty neat! A good selection of photos for CJ to see tomorrow. Thank you!
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    Post away! :-)
    Cota1992 wrote:
    Last, here is Engine 31, that lives next to us, where it is parked, taking up after the fire, is less then half a block and in direct sight of the firehouse.
    I hope I didn't post too many, It's just hard to pick and choose from. If you would like to see more, just let me know.
    This is a wonderful thread and I signed up for this site just to post here.
    Art

CJ never tires of looking at the photos and he's really appreciative of all the wonderful people who post and continue to post photos of all kinds of fire trucks!

I thank you for signing up on dgrin just to post in this thread -- that really means a lot to me!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    A white engine for Saturday
    Here's PG County Maryland Engine 222 at the Saint Patrick's Day Parade. Prince Georges County is east of the District.
    Art
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    A white one!
    Cota1992 wrote:
    Here's PG County Maryland Engine 222 at the Saint Patrick's Day Parade. Prince Georges County is east of the District.
    Art

I lived in the District for a couple of years.... way back when.

CJ got to see the pictures yesterday. He was very impressed with all the new additions to "his" thread!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    Keep them coming!
    CJ and his mom were visiting yesterday. I showed him all the new photos of fire trucks that were added to "his" thread. I told him how lucky he was that there were so many nice people taking pictures and posting them here. CJ can read most of the posts by himself, but he can't type and spell very well yet. (but he's learning how!)

Dee
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    Glad you Like them!
    Here's a 1941 Diamond T from the Gaithersburg Washington Grove Fire VFD in Montgomery County MD
    I took this this morning while out and about,.
    Where did you live in DC? We live on Connecticut Ave NW about two miles north of the zoo.
    Art
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    Cota1992 wrote:
    Here's a 1941 Diamond T from the Gaithersburg Washington Grove Fire VFD in Montgomery County MD
    I took this this morning while out and about,.
    Where did you live in DC? We live on Connecticut Ave NW about two miles north of the zoo.
    Art

Wow! That is a beautiful rig!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    It sure is!
    I wish I could have gotten some better shots, but it's tighter in there than it looks and trying to get a back to front angel was out as it is was too bright outside.
    Here's a shot of it next to the reserve Seagrave, it's sure a differance in size.
    Here's a link,

http://www.gwgvfd.org/museum.cfm

I am going to have to check and see when this is going to make a parade run or something to get some better shots myself.
    Thanks
    Art
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    Cota1992 wrote:
    I wish I could have gotten some better shots, but it's tighter in there than it looks and trying to get a back to front angel was out as it is was too bright outside.
    Here's a shot of it next to the reserve Seagrave, it's sure a differance in size.
    Here's a link,

http://www.gwgvfd.org/museum.cfm

I am going to have to check and see when this is going to make a parade run or something to get some better shots myself.
    Thanks
    Art

Heh. I know how tight fits go. I am currently running as the battalion chief while our BC is out of town. I will try and remember to take my camera with me on Monday, since I can go anywhere in the district I want, and take some pictures of our oldest firehouse. The engine barely fits through the doors.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2006
    Sharing the house
    Here's a not too good photo (In fact the first firetruck photo I took the day after I moved in, we live in the big building in the background)
    This is DCFD Station 31. Right now due to a remodle project that's 3 years and 7 MILLION dollars over budget and time, Engine 20 and Truck 12 are still sharing Station 31.
    Truck 12 takes up the bay to the right while Engines 20 and 31 share the left bay. When everthe rear engine gets a call the first engine pulls out and stops traffic and then backs up and becomes the rear engine in the bay. It makes for lots of horns and sirens, but I am not complaining. In fact if the other station ever gets finished, it might get kind of quiet around here...
    Art
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    4 Truck coming
    Here's a 2005 Seagrave ladder truck, I think the newest in the DCFD.
    Art

Also I have been told that whenever you see Roto-Rays, the spinning lights on the grill on DCFD equipment, those have been put there by thier own crews with thier own money, which is why you see diffrent color combos, they look great at night and it's my goal to get some good night shots one of these days of them spinning.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    4 Truck going
    In this shot you can see the tillerman moving the rear of the truck around at low speed.
    Last december I saw Truck 14 come uppast my paratment and swing out still going a pretty good climp and make a very sharp turn just slowing a bit. Having spent part of my life driving cattle trucks and flat beds I was impressed to say the least.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    DCFD on Parade
    This should have come first, sorry about that, you can see the flag hanging from the two ladder trucks, Consitution Ave Saint Patrick's Day 2006
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    Makings of a nice afternoon
    My wife Dawn, DCFD E-13 and the National Mall on a nice saturday afternnon.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    And with that...
    Here's my "Artsy" shot of 12 Truck backing into quarters at Station 31 at 1 am.
    I am also going to call it a night and go to bed...
    I hope you enjoyed
    Art
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    okay..so I didn't get to sleep too long
    I hate being on meds...

Here's Bethesda Maryland MD T6 in front of DCFD Station 31 covering mutual aid while the DC Units were fighting a house fire down the street.
    Decemeber 2005
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    Sign on the side of Bethesda's T-6
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    Hehe...
    Cota1992 wrote:
    Here's my "Artsy" shot of 12 Truck backing into quarters at Station 31 at 1 am.
    I am also going to call it a night and go to bed...
    I hope you enjoyed
    Art

I like the "artsy" shot!

I once sat (well, three times, to be honest) in my car in front of a fire hydrant in the middle of the day trying to get the correct exposure to blur the traffic rushing down the road.

Wouldn't it be cool if you had a fire hydrant nearby and got a speeding fire truck in front of it???

I'm glad you aren't bothered by all the noise of a fire house across the street :):