Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    You just divide the boost by 14.7 to get the theoretical gain. I'll look around for more, but ESS might be the only one. ESS started not too long ago (I think like 10 years ago), and they sorta trickeled into the market and then took off. They're the biggest guys out there for this BMW supercharging. There also used to be RMS which was an American company, but it looks like they are long gone. Other guys to look to are Alpina, Hartge, AC Schnitzer, RD Sport. I doubt any of them make anything, but they might (I think RD Sports might be only aerokits and wheels now in fact).
    The only thing shifty about that ESS site is that they say my stock hp is 286, when its actually only 215 :shifty
    <o:p> </o:p>
    http://www.esstuning.com/default.asp?c=shop&cat=93&subcat=180&subcat2=182&id=146
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    I think I may just get a low mileage M62 super charger from a junk yard and custom make something. That’ll save me about 5k :)
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    The only thing shifty about that ESS site is that they say my stock hp is 286, when its actually only 215 :shifty
    <o:p> </o:p>
    http://www.esstuning.com/default.asp?c=shop&cat=93&subcat=180&subcat2=182&id=146
    I'm thinking typo. ESS is pretty well known, and also known to have good support. RMS is still around actually...racemarque.com It's worth asking them if they have 530 kits. IIRC they used to make one. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the guys at Korman (kormanfastbmw.com) or Brett Anderson - who has put a V12 in a E34 (koalamotorsport.com...a friend of mine used to work for him actually) could give you some leads.

Also, how could I forget, Mosselman (www.mosselmanturbo.com) and Koenig Specials (www.koenig-specials.com). Both of their websites are outdated and incomplete, but these guys have been around since the beginning of time. I would be very surprised if they had nothing to offer. Why the heck did that guy post a picture of his friends M5? Is crack free on Wednesdays or something? I guess I'll join in the spirit and throw out something random. 2 days ago I got rid of the final squeak in my car. It feels so good to drive it now, I feel like I'm Eddie Murphy and it's 1985 (listening to Axel F with the windows and sunroof open while wearing sunglasses at dusk helps this). 74mph in absolute silence, even when hitting the joints on the highway. I think this feeling will be fleeting once that lumpy cam gets in there, I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    This one's for you Andy
    This was developed as an age test by an R&D department at HarvardUniversity.

Take your time and see if you can read each line aloud without a mistake. The average person over 50 years of age can't do it!

1. This is this cat
    2. This is is cat
    3. This is how cat
    4. This is to cat
    5. This is keep cat
    6. This is an cat
    7. This is old cat
    8. This is fart cat
    9. This is busy cat
    10. This is for cat
    11. This is forty cat
    12. This is seconds cat

Now go back and read aloud the third word in each line from the top
    down.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 4, 2006
    You just divide the boost by 14.7 to get the theoretical gain. I'll look around for more, but ESS might be the only one. ESS started not too long ago (I think like 10 years ago), and they sorta trickeled into the market and then took off. They're the biggest guys out there for this BMW supercharging. There also used to be RMS which was an American company, but it looks like they are long gone. Other guys to look to are Alpina, Hartge, AC Schnitzer, RD Sport. I doubt any of them make anything, but they might (I think RD Sports might be only aerokits and wheels now in fact).

Part of the problem is a lot of these guys stopped putting their older stuff on their websites. Dinan stopped putting their older cams on their website for instance, AC Schnitzer never puts anything older than the previous model up...it takes some e-mailing for the older cars.
    You guys are making my head head spin. You do know that Dugmar (on this site) is the guy who sells all the parts at Turner Motorsports, right? They make lots of really cool bimmer stuff. And I bet if you have questions about bimmer go-fast parts in general, he'd know. Just sayin'.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You guys are making my head head spin. You do know that Dugmar (on this site) is the guy who sells all the parts at Turner Motorsports, right? They make lots of really cool bimmer stuff. And I bet if you have questions about bimmer go-fast parts in general, he'd know. Just sayin'.

Get out of town. I've never even seen that user name, but still that's really cool. Dugmar, if you're out there, when will we see a Shark Injector for the V8's?
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    I think I may just get a low mileage M62 super charger from a junk yard and custom make something. That’ll save me about 5k :)

Wait...which M62 was supercharged?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Well, not 176mph, it was a D, so we needed a slight downhill and I managed some good speed on the Autobahn - Ivar has piccies ... stay tuned deal.gif
    We didn't go that fast really..... rolleyes1.gif

99948494-L.jpg

99948470-L.jpg

99948679-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    ivar wrote:

Heh, that's a good 6mph faster than the top speed on my car at present. I bet it was a blast.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    OH: :marlin (: marlin)

I just realized what you were saying here. HAHAHAHAHA, AWESOME! :marlin :marlin :marlin :marlin :marlin
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Let's just say that getting out of the car at gun point is an experince you don't want lol3.gif

Been there, Done that. Not for speeding, and they let me go right away (then wrote me a ticket for headlamp being out the jerks). But yeah getting out of the car at gun piont, with a K-9 unit trying to take a chunk out of your unit, is not a fun thing.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    ivar wrote:

99948494-Th.jpg

99948470-Th.jpg

99948679-Th.jpg

Good times thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Good times thumb.gif

200kph is only 124.28mph.

Boring, been there, done that. How bout some real high speed stuff?
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006

fast enough for me lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006

Yes, but have you been there and done it one the Autobahn? It truly is an experience to be on the German Autobahn, the lane discipline, the use of turn signals, the lack of cell phones by drivers' ears.

Also, I'm curious how long you've been there and done that. In my experience, above 110 on a public roadway for more than 3 hours starts to kinda wear you out.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006

Yabbut did you notice our newest smilie?

:dragon
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Yes, but have you been there and done it one the Autobahn? It truly is an experience to be on the German Autobahn, the lane discipline, the use of turn signals, the lack of cell phones by drivers' ears.

Also, I'm curious how long you've been there and done that. In my experience, above 110 on a public roadway for more than 3 hours starts to kinda wear you out.

Laughing.gif No not on the autobahn. And not for that length of time but it was on a public highway, top speed was bout 135, and didn't last that long because it was a public highway and I wasn't interested in seeing cops, and guns, again that day.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Laughing.gif hey when did I get a smilie. I like it. :dragon
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:

You're in a smilie mood, aren't you? I like Dragon's better. It's not animated. umph.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You're in a smilie mood, aren't you? I like Dragon's better. It's not animated. umph.gif
    as soon as i find the nosepicking smilie, it's you!
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Animated smilies pwn. This one should be Zac mechanic.gif

You edited my post? Sir, you forget yourself. I demand satisfaction. I challenge you to a duel:duel
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Google nose pick smilie, some things come up.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Google nose pick smilie, some things come up.
    Already did naughty.gif and it's on it's way to the smilie-queue
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Animated smilies pwn. This one should be Zac

You edited my post? Sir, you forget yourself. I demand satisfaction. I challenge you to a duel:duel mechanic.gif
    If antrieb can stick around long enough, he may just get one lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I await with bated breath.
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    You edited my post? Sir, you forget yourself. I demand satisfaction. I challenge you to a duel mechanic.gif
    Like 4 pages ago.
    Erik

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    If antrieb can stick around long enough, he may just get one lol3.gif

I know we're off the car talk thread but I want the "crutch" (:hurt) smilie named after me . . . okay, so I'm vain . . . rolleyes1.gif

:hurt :hurt :hurt :hurt
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Back onto car talk.

Ok Did we ever figure out what monster engine is going in that MB. Is it a 5.4, 5.7, 5.6, 5.3, 4.0, 4.6, etc etc etc.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Like 4 pages ago.

No, not you. Andy. I had suggested a smilie post to be named after Zac, and Andy deleted the smilie.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Back onto car talk.

Ok Did we ever figure out what monster engine is going in that MB. Is it a 5.4, 5.7, 5.6, 5.3, 4.0, 4.6, etc etc etc.
    I'll give you a hint...one of the sizes you said is it...or at least was it before the slight boring (big as we can go without resleeving).