Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Well guys I think I found myself a new daily driver. It's light, compact, prolly not so great on gas though. But I don't think I'd have a problem getting people out of my way. I don't think the kid's car seats will fit though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Street-legal-Indy-car-Dallara-Race-car_W0QQitemZ190046050848QQihZ009QQcategoryZ98064QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Crap! I knew I should have held out and not jumped on that Miata I just bought! And at ~$36k that thing is just too cost effective to pass up.

I have to take issue w/ you calling it 'compact' though.. A ~16' long car w/ a ~120" wheelbase is hardly 'compact'.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Crap! I knew I should have held out and not jumped on that Miata I just bought! And at ~$36k that thing is just too cost effective to pass up.

I have to take issue w/ you calling it 'compact' though.. A ~16' long car w/ a ~120" wheelbase is hardly 'compact'.

Ahhh I was reffering to height. And I know it's street legal in michigan too cause I have seen people street driving them with those mods before.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 7, 2006
    Ahhh I was reffering to height. And I know it's street legal in michigan too cause I have seen people street driving them with those mods before.
    i wouldn't drive on the streets of michigan with an A1 tank!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    i wouldn't drive on the streets of michigan with an A1 tank!

Well duh, A1's are better offroad.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    Well duh, A1's are better offroad.
    exactly.

i was always astounded that "motor city" has the worst roads in the country.
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    gotta love detroit, messed up priorities
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    At the risk of getting photography related..
    So one of my new 'net addictions is miata.net, for obvious reasons. The other night this guy posts that he just picked up an '04 Mazdaspeed Miata and shows off some pix. The guy ain't bad w/ a camera.. not bad at all. Check'em out..

http://asianguywithacamera.com/miata/

These are what he calls 'snapshots'

http://asianguywithacamera.com/miata/images/110306/

More galleries from his homepage..

http://asianguywithacamera.com/
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    Cool car and you're right, some great shots from your Asian guy with a camera. lol3.gif (great name)
    Erik

• Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    109077812-L.jpg

My car in front of the dealership today at the monthly BMWCCA meeting.
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited November 9, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    My car in front of the dealership today at the monthly BMWCCA meeting.

I hate to ask you this...but did you tow it there or is it running again? If it
    is, congrats on getting it running.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I hate to ask you this...but did you tow it there or is it running again? If it
    is, congrats on getting it running.
    Hmm, you must have missed the post.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRLwo3Z8ecs

• Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Why is the dealership closed off with Police Caution tape??? headscratch.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Ol' Cra$h here started working on his own beamer(s). W/o that revenue the dealership went out of business! :D
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Why is the dealership closed off with Police Caution tape??? headscratch.gif
    They are adding 4 BMW service bays, that means more possible jobs for me thumb.gif

So I just bought some new wheels for my bimmer. They are off an e39 5-series ('97-'03). They are very similar to mine except they are 17x8 instead of 15x8 and they have that nice big polished lip that I love.

Old
    109086187-M.jpg

New
    109138614-M.jpg

• Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Nice photochop young man! That car does indeed look good... just don't get carried away and turn it into another smurfmobile. Understated is a good thing.
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Nice photochop young man! That car does indeed look good... just don't get carried away and turn it into another smurfmobile. Understated is a good thing.
    Thanks!

I agree completely, and I didn’t make the smurfmobile!
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I think the wheels are very conservative, and look great on the car and are not over the top at all like the old ones were.
    Mods will be kept to a minimum, and I will only use BMW parts except for the suspension.
    • European side reflector delete
    • M5 steering wheel
    • M5 shadowline trim
    • M5 side skirts
    • 50% tint
    • Real Euro smoked “smiley” headlights that my friend picked up in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">London</st1:place></st1:city> last week
    Suspension will be Ground Control coilovers with Koni adjustable shocks, and Racing Dynamics sway bars.
    There will be no trunk wing, no clear corners or taillights (amber looks great with this color), and no huge thumping sound system.

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    gus wrote:

Rice Rice, Baby Baby
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Rice Rice, Baby Baby
    Man i got double german.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Neat car, indeed, and its not coming to the US, as we have the Si. However, from what I read, Honda has once again failed to bang it out of the park. The engine in this new "R" really isn't that much more powerful than the Si we have readily available here, and the chassis only differs in that you all get a hatch (which would win me over, but not enough the rest of the US).

+10 for Marlin's snob rating since he can so easily write off what have historically been some of the best sorted factory tuner offerings to the general public from one of the oldest and best car companies in the world, so be it.
    rolleyes1.gif (this should be my smiley, btw)
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    +10 for Marlin's snob rating since he can so easily write off what have historically been some of the best sorted factory tuner offerings to the general public from one of the oldest and best car companies in the world, so be it.
    rolleyes1.gif (this should be my smiley, btw)

It's not rice simply because it's a Honda, it's rice because of

http://www.seriouswheels.com/2007/2007-Honda-Civic-Type-R-Interior-1280x960.htm
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    It's not rice simply because it's a Honda, it's rice because of

http://www.seriouswheels.com/2007/2007-Honda-Civic-Type-R-Interior-1280x960.htm

huh
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    huh

That interior is a combination between a video game and 2Fast 2Furious, on top of which it's got about a million billion buttons on the console, and digital speedometers are great and all if you like eye fatigue. Also notice how the passenger is totally ignored - can't reach the climate control buttons, doesn't have a clear view of the Nav. And this is just a guess since it's hard to tell from a photo, but from the looks of the speedometer placement, tach placement, and size of the steering wheel hub, it looks to me like many drivers are going to find themselves having to choose which one they want a quick view of. Also, look how far below eye level the tach, fuel gauge, and coolant temp gauge are. Not exaclty checkable without taking your eyes off the road.

"Hey, I have an idea! Let's make a car really 1337zors!!!!11!!!1"
    "Yeah, totally FTW, W00T! But, should we look at how functional the design is?"
    "Naw, since when have the people of the present day cared about function? Let's put a start button on it too, since that makes so much sense in a road car, plus, it's one more thing that can go wrong and leave you stranded!111!!!!!!111"
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    That interior is a combination between a video game and 2Fast 2Furious, on top of which it's got about a million billion buttons on the console, and digital speedometers are great and all if you like eye fatigue. Also notice how the passenger is totally ignored - can't reach the climate control buttons, doesn't have a clear view of the Nav. And this is just a guess since it's hard to tell from a photo, but from the looks of the speedometer placement, tach placement, and size of the steering wheel hub, it looks to me like many drivers are going to find themselves having to choose which one they want a quick view of. Also, look how far below eye level the tach, fuel gauge, and coolant temp gauge are. Not exaclty checkable without taking your eyes off the road.

"Hey, I have an idea! Let's make a car really 1337zors!!!!11!!!1"
    "Yeah, totally FTW, W00T! But, should we look at how functional the design is?"
    "Naw, since when have the people of the present day cared about function? Let's put a start button on it too, since that makes so much sense in a road car"
    I have to disagree with you on just about all counts, but for the same reason. I've driven the SI and ergonomically, I have to say it was one of the best cockpits around. From what I see on this photo, it actually looks very similar. I think your missing depth from the flat photo. The "upfront" speedo is kinda a love-it/hate-it feature, but I do have to say its positioned well.

And pray tell, show me a normal car where you don't have to glance down to view the tach/oil/fuel. Are you serious? I can't think of a non-race specific car that does NOT have them all in the same place as this Honda (in the dash behind the steering wheel). You alright this morning? You're even stodgier and grumpier than usual and I think your vision might be blurry, cuz I really don't get your rant at all, its way off base. I don't care, bash the Honda all you want, but your claims just don't add up. headscratch.gif

And you're right, just because its not flat drab "classic", and has a hint of color, it must suck.
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And pray tell, show me a normal car where you don't have to glance down to view the tach/oil/fuel. Are you serious? I can't think of a non-race specific car that does NOT have them all in the same place as this Honda (in the dash behind the steering wheel). You alright this morning? You're even stodgier and grumpier than usual and I think your vision might be blurry, cuz I really don't get your rant at all, its way off base. I don't care, bash the Honda all you want, but your claims just don't add up. headscratch.gif

And you're right, just because its not flat drab "classic", and has a hint of color, it must suck.

Well...I was under general anesthesia yesterday. BUT, yes you have to make a slight glance in all road cars, but because of that up top speedo hump your eyes are going to be higher than it would otherwise be, which means you're looking down more than you would in most other cars (you want everything as close to your line of sight as possible without being in the way, in this case the tach/temp/fuel could all be higher without getting in the way because they could all be where the speedo is).

And too many buttons doesn't make a unique/modern design, it makes an inefficient and cluttered design.
    And there is unique/stylish (say, a Colorado Orange BMW 2002) and then there is gaudy/tasteless (that interior) (besides, the last time digital speedos were considered modern was 1990).

And when did I say it sucks? I said it is rice, and then later that it wasn't designed with function as the primary objective.

There are good modern designs. The Automotive press hated it, I'm guessing either because they are not of the computer generation or they are just slow, but the interior of the new (well..newish now I guess) BMW 7 series is well laid out. I know it took me about 45 seconds of playing without the aid of an owner's manual to figure out I-Drive, and that interior is well laid out in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    Well...I was under general anesthesia yesterday.
    Everything a'ight?
    BUT, yes you have to make a slight glance in all road cars, but because of that up top speedo hump your eye going to be higher than it would otherwise be, which means you're looking down more than you would in most other cars (you want everything as close to your line of sight as possible without being in the way, in this case the tach/temp/fuel could all be higher without getting in the way because they could all be where the speedo is).
    See my above reply - the angle on the photo really doesn't do this justice. It's taken from high up, so it skews the vertical distance. The speedo is a good 20cm in front of the usual dash hump, very near the front of the windshield. I applaud them for putting the MOST important info just a touch higher (and by most, I mean for driving on the road, not a track)... glance down a little, see speedo, glance down just a hair more, tach/fuel/oil. Like you say, digital tachs are kinda lame, so there really isn't room in that sliver for a proper tach.
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Everything a'ight?

See my above reply - the angle on the photo really doesn't do this justice. It's taken from high up, so it skews the vertical distance. The speedo is a good 20cm in front of the usual dash hump, very near the front of the windshield. I applaud them for putting the MOST important info just a touch higher (and by most, I mean for driving on the road, not a track)... glance down a little, see speedo, glance down just a hair more, tach/fuel/oil. Like you say, digital tachs are kinda lame, so there really isn't room in that sliver for a proper tach.

I have a friend with a Civic Si (little hatchback thing, not sure if there are other versions). If I take a seat in that is it the same setup? I want to disapprove of this thing first hand.

And yeah, everything is alright. They said I'm supposed to take it easy and be monitored for 24 hours...apparently they haven't gone to Davidson College - I woke up from anesthesia at 10:37 and was in class at 11:30.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    I have a friend with a Civic Si (little hatchback thing, not sure if there are other versions). If I take a seat in that is it the same setup? I want to disapprove of this thing first hand.
    They discontinued the hatchback for 05 (or is it 06 headscratch.gif) - so no, you would have to sit in the latest Si, which is a coupe. Again, ours is not identical to the one in the picture we've been talking about - the rest of the world gets a completely different hatchback Civic, we apparently hate hatches. However, our coupe does have the similar speedo.

US Civic Si:
    113980562_f55d4ffeb5.jpg
    (not my photo)

and outside, coupe:
    06.honda.civic.si.f34.500.jpg

If your friend has a hatchback, the inside looks like this:
    Dash-md.jpg

and the outside like this:
    HON2003100835634_pv.jpg

And yes, for the record, I love Civic Si's - they hold a special place in my heart as a 1984 Civic Si was my dad's first new car ever, and our first car after moving the US. That car was awesome. They are totally bulletproof, well sorted daily-driver pocket rockets. If they hadn't switched back to a coupe for 2007, I may have one instead of the GTI. I actually enjoyed the drive I took in the new Si, and liked that it was naturally aspirated as opposed to my 2.0T, however, the coupe is just too small and impractical for my everday use. GTI won that hands down.

Go easy on yourself, listen to the Dr. thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    dude your doctor gave you an easy out for a long weekend. you shoulda taken it.
    www.zxstudios.com