Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    dude your doctor gave you an easy out for a long weekend. you shoulda taken it.

And pay for it for the rest of the semester? No thanks. Weekends for me are all work anyways, but if I miss a day of class, then I've fallen behind, and each day there is so much work to do that once I fall behind it becomes very hard to catch up.
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    And too many buttons doesn't make a unique/modern design, it makes an inefficient and cluttered design.
    So you would rather have BMW iDrive which is one button for 90% of the controls?
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    So you would rather have BMW iDrive which is one button for 90% of the controls?

Yes. Like I said in my post I found iDrive to be a pretty easy to learn system (and that was the 7 series iDrive which is much more "complicated" than the 5 series one). Then again, there is another question to ask and that is do we really need so many controls? Most people would say yes, though I might not, but if we must have them I rather it be uncluttered.
    Honestly though, what controls are found to be lacking here? 19601681-L-1.jpg If someone says a NAV system I'll bonk them on the head with a fish - is it really that hard to use a map?
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    I have to agree w/ the snobomiester, that new Civic is just loaded w/ excess glitz.. inside and out.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Like you say, digital tachs are kinda lame, so there really isn't room in that sliver for a proper tach.
    Digital tach? You mean digital spedo, right? After driving my Miata for two weeks, I have to suggest that if there is room for 'proper' gaues in that little thing, then there is room in a Civic too!

This guy has mod'ed the gauge faces, but you get the idea.
    364012_37_full.jpg

Our neighbor bought a Civic Si a couple months ago. She is beside herself about it, thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. I just can't get excited about it. And I too find the interior to be simply aweful. I loath digital speedos.

I have similar issues w/ my buddy's Hybrid Civic. Very cool car, until you climb into it!

The one redeaming feature I see about that Type-R is the hatch. I agree: why can't more makers bring cool hatches to the US. Tops on my list w/ that gripe is Ford for not brining the Gen2 Euro-Focus to the US. At least Mazda brings the platform in the form of the Mazda3. I'll never understand why hatches aren't more popular here.
    Then again, there is another question to ask and that is do we really need so many controls?
    Again, forced to agree. I really have no interest in customizing the exact duration the interior lights stay on after I close the door. A factory setting is good 'nuf fer stuff like that.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    MMM hatches... Like BMW's 130i with 335 NA hp mwink.gif

Wish I could see those running around the states.

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 10, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    I have to agree w/ the snobomiester, that new Civic is just loaded w/ excess glitz.. inside and out.
    Digital tach? You mean digital spedo, right?
    No, everything I wrote is correct. You just missed it, but I'm not re-explaining it.
    :deadhorse
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    No, everything I wrote is correct. You just missed it, but I'm not re-explaining it.

Everything you wrote is correct? Now you're starting to sound like me.
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Mmm-kay. Sorry I didn't/don't follow you.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Mmm-kay. Sorry I didn't/don't follow you.
    what part of beating a dead horse don't you get? I'm not saying "I'm right, you're wrong". I'm merely pointing out I didn't make any typo's, so reread it and take a second to interpret it if you care to do so.

Apparently, I'm the only one that has spent some time behind the wheel of a Civic Si, so why don't you guys do the same before ripping it to shreds. At least on the points I'm trying to "argue".

Sheesh, damn kids!
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    Everything you wrote is correct? Now you're starting to sound like me.
    Scary, ain't it? lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Scary, ain't it? lol3.gif

Not really cause at least you will admit a good car when you see one. Heir Snobmeister can't admit a good car when he see's one unless it is german, and even then he can't admit a bad car when he see's one if it was made in germany.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    Not really cause at least you will admit a good car when you see one. Heir Snobmeister can't admit a good car when he see's one unless it is german, and even then he can't admit a bad car when he see's one if it was made in germany.

Hey now. I think those Datsun 240Z's are kinda cool, and I think the MB C-Class is junk.

It's not my fault that TypeR is cluttered (inside) and ugly (outside and in)

Plus, I like that Alfa Romeo 8C, and the interior on that is not at all what I would call classic (plus it's not German), but I think it did what Honda wished they could have done with their interior.
    And don't forget that I also like the new Mustang.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Good he can look at my Golf then...the one that had a dead starter at just 600klms & has spray gun marks across the bonnet (hood) & roof. Next time i might just buy the little holden astra turbo diesel...still made in germany.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Good he can look at my Golf then...the one that had a dead starter at just 600klms & has spray gun marks across the bonnet (hood) & roof. Next time i might just buy the little holden astra turbo diesel...still made in germany.

To be fair, VW isn't exactly my bag, plus the German content in them is what like 70%?
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    before we get too serious about a silly semantic argument... I too appreciate simplicity. remember I said we had the first Civic S(i) imported to the USA (1983)? Probably one of the best cars we ever owned. Fun, simple, reliable as all get-out.

here, have a laugh, on me:

54231091-M.jpg

yeah, that's me with the sweet technicolor dreamcoat. lol3.gif

my dad drove us around half the country in this car. I don't remember how long we had it for, but it had well over 150k miles on the clock when we finally parted with it. The entire time we owned it, nothing was replaced besides: oil, tires, brakepads, and the left headlight. If only I was another year or two older at the time, it would have been my first car. There was really nothing wrong with it, but by that point we weren't dirt poor immigrants anymore and dad had deserved himself a new car so it was just time to trade up.
    Erik

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Hey now. I think those Datsun 240Z's are kinda cool

Well now you do have some taste after all. I guess there might be some hope for you yet.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    To be fair, VW isn't exactly my bag, plus the German content in them is what like 70%?
    On what do you base this? where the parts are made? its right on par with BMW, Audi, MB in terms of where all the pieces come from. Don't fool yourself.

My GTI is assembled in Germany, as are all Rabbits.
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    before we get too serious about a silly semantic argument... I too appreciate simplicity. remember I said we had the first Civic S(i) imported to the USA (1983)? Probably one of the best cars we ever owned. Fun, simple, reliable as all get-out.

here, have a laugh, on me:

54231091-M.jpg

yeah, that's me with the sweet technicolor dreamcoat. lol3.gif

my dad drove us around half the country in this car. I don't remember how long we had it for, but it had well over 150k miles on the clock when we finally parted with it. The entire time we owned it, nothing was replaced besides: oil, tires, brakepads, and the left headlight. If only I was another year or two older at the time, it would have been my first car. There was really nothing wrong with it, but by that point we weren't dirt poor immigrants anymore and dad had deserved himself a new car so it was just time to trade up.
    Shot in RAW ? I would prob do a curves adjustment followed with some selective contrast on the background...look at a sharpening method (actually where is ruttne_nau.gif )
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    On what do you base this? where the parts are made? its right on par with BMW, Audi, MB in terms of where all the pieces come from. Don't fool yourself.

My golf is covered in bits that says "Made in Italy" Im way too scared to look at any writting on a wiring loom.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Shot in RAW ? I would prob do a curves adjustment followed with some selective contrast on the background...look at a sharpening method (actually where is ruttne_nau.gif )
    lemme check and see if I have that file...

rolleyes1.gifrofl
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Based on the window sticker.

But yeah, looking at BMWs MBs and Audis (well that one's a duh) you can tell the parts suppliers are all the same (though, there are slight differences in the parts, for instance on older (it's been a while since I looked) VW's the grab bars were the same thing as in the E39 5-series, but in the VW when you let go they slapped back in place and on the 5-Series they go back smoothly). Heck, Porsche even uses ignition switches from VW.

That's why I have a soft spot for pre-1991 Mercedes S-class vehicles, just about all the parts were made in house. If you go back to the 60's the screws were even in house. BMW uses Getrag, ZF, and GM for transmissions? Mercedes used (and I think still uses, though I haven't looked) Mercedes for transmissions. On the pre-1991's even the headliner fabric was made in house. The only thing I can think of that wasn't are the wheels, but those were forged, which I don't think very many companies but on the cars stock even today.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    lemme check and see if I have that file...

rolleyes1.gifrofl

There is a color cast to that image, right (I'm being serious - I want to make sure my monitor isn't way off or something).
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    ...On the pre-1991's even the headliner fabric was made in house. The only thing I can think of that wasn't are the wheels, but those were forged, which I don't think very many companies but on the cars stock even today.
    It's a different economy today. Just look at how you and I met, and communicate, right - internet, international! These days, if I saw on the window sticker that everything was made/assembled in-house, I'd either (a) run away cuz it would be garbage, or (b) I'd be looking at something like a boutique-ish Bugatti Veyron. You reckon they even have window stickers? lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    There is a color cast to that image, right (I'm being serious - I want to make sure my monitor isn't way off or something).
    there you go, taking all the fun out of it.

Yes, your monitor is fine, it's reddish. My mom has hundreds, maybe thousands of old photos. I got her a smugmug account last xmas... she's only up to 1989!!! Scanning and archiving is work enough, she certainly doesn't take time correcting each one, cut her some slack, eh? lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    there you go, taking all the fun out of it.

Yes, your monitor is fine, it's reddish. My mom has hundreds, maybe thousands of old photos. I got her a smugmug account last xmas... she's only up to 1989!!! Scanning and archiving is work enough, she certainly doesn't take time correcting each one, cut her some slack, eh? lol3.gif

It's funny, because when I scan in old film (especially old slides) I get those same purple cast issues and I really can never get them corrected proper, there's always something a little off with them. Newer film doesn't seem to do this.

Did you see the post about that film scanning service? It was cheap enough where if I hadn't already bought a scanner and had a lot of scanning to do I'd use them.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

gus wrote:
    My golf is covered in bits that says "Made in Italy" Im way too scared to look at any writting on a wiring loom.
    Owned.

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Owned.
    there is a difference between parts "made" and "assembled". so who's been owned? methinks the hasty youth with the maroon bmw. nod.gif

(man you guys all respond so fast - take a second to READ!!!)
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    It's funny, because when I scan in old film (especially old slides) I get those same purple cast issues and I really can never get them corrected proper, there's always something a little off with them. Newer film doesn't seem to do this.

Did you see the post about that film scanning service? It was cheap enough where if I hadn't already bought a scanner and had a lot of scanning to do I'd use them.
    In the case of mom's old photos, I think the photos themselves have a cast. From what I have seen, her scanner does a pretty true-to-life job. Fading, crappy lab we used for developing 20 years ago, the photos run the gamut.
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    there is a difference between parts "made" and "assembled". so who's been owned? methinks the hasty youth with the maroon bmw. nod.gif

(man you guys all respond so fast - take a second to READ!!!)
    No biggies mate. I still grin from ear to ear driving it. I am hoping to score an R32 as a loaner when the golf goes in for its next service. Ive told them i want to buy one so that should work.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    gus wrote:
    No biggies mate.
    Yeah, I know - I was just trying to make the point that assembly of the various parts is just as or more important than where they come from. About 8 years ago, when there were VW Golfs in the US from both Mexico and Germany, I feel there was a noticeable difference, even though they used essentially the same parts. I've you've ever visited more than one vehicle assembly plant, you'd know this too - amazing complex places!
    I am hoping to score an R32 as a loaner when the golf goes in for its next service. Ive told them i want to buy one so that should work.
    lol3.gif you're a smart man. I can't wait for the mkV's of those to show up in the states. I'll pull the same line on 'em at my dealership and we can compare notes.
    Erik