Options

Shootout '07: Glacier National Park--info/lodging/signup

Comments

• Options
    DougNorCalDougNorCal Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2007
    Airport delays
    Several of us were on the Horizion flight to Seattle which was late leaving and arrived about 20 minutes late in Seattle. It was raining there, so maybe head winds as well as a late takeoff. Don't really know.

Steve Cavigliano, Chris and I were on the Alaska flight to SJC and it was late leaving because the "equipment" arrived late in Seattle, but Horizon still didn't have enough time to get our luggage to Alaska so we arrive home w/o any bags. ne_nau.gif

Bags should arrive in SJC in an hour or so and then get delivered with in 2-4 hours after that. I want to sleep, so I asked for morning delivery. Luckily I didn't put anything critical in there.

Good luck to all the rest in getting home. Had a wonderful time and nice to meet all of you. Hope to go next year!
  • Options
    digital_gopherdigital_gopher Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    The Northwest flight out that was scheduled to leave at 1:50 pm finally left at 6:00 pm getting us into Minneapolis at 9:43 pm. At least I got home tonight.

Jeremy
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    As Jeremy said, we got here a little before 10. Of course there were no more flights to anywhere near b-more by then. So, we leave tomorrow morning for Detroit, then from there we'll head home.

Even with all the hassels with travel it was an amazing week that I wouldn't trade for anything. Meet some awesome people and learned more about photography in 4 days than I have in any other time. Thanks everyone!
    Travis
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    I hope everyone who was stuck made it home safely.

No more all day photography for me for a while... its back to doing that thing that pays for the lenses. :cry
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    We made it home too. We were supposed to go to SJC but before we got on the plane to Seattle they said we would never make the SJC flight so we got on a later one to Oakland where we arrived with no bags and our car trapped in San Jose. The Oakland airport sounds more confused than SJC as they said they'll call us 'sometime' to give us a 4 hour bag delivery window, but they have no idea what flight our bags will make it on. Shizam will be begging a ride to the SJC airport to get the car while we're on bag duty! But before all that we had a FANTASTIC time.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    If I knew that I could have flown to Seattle still catch the flight to SJC without my luggage like Doug, Chris and Steve, I would have taken it. Sigh. The guy at the ticket counter made it seem like we would miss the connection to SJC competely and get stuck in Seatte over night.

Instead, I was rebooked on another airline that carried Nikolai, Jack and Sharon to thier final location through Salt Lake City with a three+ hour lay-over. I did have a great time chatting with Jack and Sharon (wonderful people) over dinner, but I didn't get home until midnight. So tired....

Beth: Tell Sam to give me a call. I'm taking the day off and catching up on work e-mail. He can stop begging for a ride....

The bad news is that I lost a 4g CF card in the process. :cry The sunset shoot was backed up, but i lost everything else in the day.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    I'm back... Finally, the joy of internet :-)wings.gif
    Sorry about the airport delays. :cry
    You guys need to move to West Coast, we have only two types of weather here: good and great :-) (that is if you are ready to deal with draughts, fires and earthquakes ;-) mwink.gif
    And now I'm up to this (more later) ...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DougNorCalDougNorCal Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    April, sorry to hear about your CF card. I hope you find it.

Our flight from Kalispell to Seattle was to leave at 1pm MDT and we left a little late. Our connection in Seattle was to leave at 3pm PDT and we left a half hour late. We didn't plan on not getting our luggage. mwink.gif It just didn't make the flight. The bags just got delivered.

Sounds like your were booked on the later flight from SEA to SJC.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    April, sorry about your loss! Hope it was all good apart from it (and maybe the darn card just stuck somewhere in the pocket or in the bag)
  • Options
    ttorres33ttorres33 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Where's my luggage?
    I'm sitting in the airport in Chicago (on my way to Detroit) wishing my luggage made it home from Seattle. Nothing like a mid-west / east coast tour without a jacket. Wish me luck.

At least I have internet access, some great photos and a toothbrush. :-)

Teresa
  • Options
    ChrisP6ChrisP6 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Great Fun, Thanks to All
    OK, I'm the biggest newbie here. Though this is my first post, I feel like I was initiated in Glacier at the Shootout. I had such a blast, and really enjoyed tuning up my rusty nature photography skills. Thanks to everyone for being so sharing, kind and helpful.

I too need to get back to the day job, but pushed to get some photos posted on Smugmug at this link www.pqphotography.com/gallery/3572975. They're not all processed, but I did take advantage of Marc's training and create my first panorama. It's 15" by 79" at 240 dpi, so I think I need a bigger house to hang it in.

I'm also sorry to hear about April's card, and wish everyone the best getting their photos and luggage home safely (mine arrived a few hours ago).
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    The bad news is that I lost a 4g CF card in the process. :cry The sunset shoot was backed up, but i lost everything else in the day.

April, any chance the CF card could have ended up in that blue backpack you lent me? And I know its no consolation prize, but I think you ended up with my 2GB CF card in your Rebel XT with a few crappy IR pics.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Finally home! It took 32 hours to get from Kalispell to Baltimore. WTF is wrong with my travel mojo lately? it's got to stop. :bluduh

I hope everyone else had a speedy flight/drive home and I look forward to seeing photos and sharing snapshots over the next several weeks.
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    My flights back to Newark were not much better. My 8:15 am out of Kalispell was 1 hr late leaving because of computer check-in problems. This caused me to miss my first connecting flight in Minnisota. My next rescheduled flight out of Minnisota was diverted to Detroit instead of Newark and was also delayed in leaving due to problems with baggage handling. My flight to Detroit was late causing me to miss my connecting flight to Newark. Northwestern had to re-book about 200 people on that flight. By the time they re-booked me, I had 10 minutes to board the last flight to Newark that night. I finally got to Newark at 11:30pm and home at 2:00am. That was only 7 hours longer than scheduled so I guess I was luckier than most. eek7.gif
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Kate and I made home at 6:00 Monday evening. All is good.
    Now to go get the dogs and put all this junk away.

It was great to see all of you, and I can't wait to see all the shots from the trip.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Hi Folks wave.gif

Well, sorry again for some of the crappy rooms at the Inn :( And the daily running out of food at the restaurant.

The good news is that we have a better place picked out for next year, with supremo accomodations and awesome food. And they don't "close for the off season."
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Folks wave.gif

Well, sorry again for some of the crappy rooms at the Inn :( And the daily running out of food at the restaurant.

The good news is that we have a better place picked out for next year, with supremo accomodations and awesome food. And they don't "close for the off season."
    PS: I've heard that some of you would like a bit more "structure" around the shootout, and the daily shooting events, etc. Thanks for that great feedback, and I'll do my level-best to make that happen deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    I'm already thinking about the pre-shootout for 2008 :D
    Andrew

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    hi y'all, eh! We dropped Nick off at the Calgary airport at 1 p.m. He should be home shortly, assuming all goes well for him.

Maxine, Christina and I are at my house, having just finished a good home cooked meal.

We had a great trip, lots of good fun and a whole lot of laughing. Oh, yeah, the photography was pretty good too.

Now, sometime over the next while, I have a lot of processing to do!

I really enjoyed spending time with old friends and making new ones. I sure wish there were a way to havve shootouts more frequently.

ann
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 1, 2007
    Well, we had a great day in Yellowstone today. WX is snow and rain. So
    the shots from the day reflect that :D

Gus got to experience his first -1.5 C day. That was followed quickly by
    -6.5 C :D He's been a real trooper. We shot Old Faithful (which took an
    hour to go off--the whole while we stood outside at the viewing area. He's
    got some great shots and he's got an Elk, Moose, Bison & Deer.

We made it to Grand Teton through the snow. Clouds prevented any real
    view of the Teton range but we did make the Church of the Transfiguration.

Hanging out in Jackson Hole. Starting home tomorrow.

It's been a great trip so far (I've never laughed so hard for so long).

Personally, I had a great time in Glacier and I'm glad to have met many of
    you.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ChrisP6ChrisP6 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Pre-Shootout 2008
    I'm also thinking about a pre-shootout trip for 2008. I know Southern Utah pretty well, and would love to see Zion, Cedar Breaks, Bryce, Kodachrome Basin, Highway 12, the Burr Trail, Capitol Reef, Goblin Valley, Hall's Crossing at Lake Powell and a hundred other things on my way there. The trouble will be picking and choosing to make the trip manageable.

Chris
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 1, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Finally home! It took 32 hours to get from Kalispell to Baltimore. WTF is wrong with my travel mojo lately? it's got to stop. :bluduh

I hope everyone else had a speedy flight/drive home and I look forward to seeing photos and sharing snapshots over the next several weeks.

damn schmoo, looks like you took about the same time as me :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Well folks Im home now as well. It only took me about 6 hours with layovers. mwink.gif

Thank you to Smugmug and all the folks who came out. I also want to thank all the people I got to hang with over the week, including my roomies Fred and Andrew. Next year one of you guys can have the Queen bed. thumb.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    I'm home with no problems, well except I still have no floor in my bedroom. Long story don't ask. Hope everyone ends up with their luggage and sanity after such bad luck for so many getting home. A big thanks to Andy, Marc, Dave, and last but definitely not least DavidTO. Also thanks to Ann for setting up an awesome pre-shoot. All of you that saw Christine's great shots from the shoot out, that was just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe I'll actually post some one of these days. For now it is bed for me and work tomorrow. I hope I still remember what I actually do for a living.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    I'm home with no problems, well except I still have no floor in my bedroom. Long story don't ask. Hope everyone ends up with their luggage and sanity after such bad luck for so many getting home. A big thanks to Andy, Marc, Dave, and last but definitely not least DavidTO. Also thanks to Ann for setting up an awesome pre-shoot. All of you that saw Christine's great shots from the shoot out, that was just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe I'll actually post some one of these days. For now it is bed for me and work tomorrow. I hope I still remember what I actually do for a living.

Thanks, Nick! thumb.gif

I want to thank SmugMug, who covered so much of the cost of this trip. Pro photographer workshops aren't necessarily cheap, and having SmugMug cover their costs is one sweet deal! Plus the nice meal they threw in, as well. All this because you registered for a free forum (or even have a friend who did).

Kudos to SmugMug, and Andy!

clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Yay, I just got home, and Thanks guys! It was an awesome trip, I had a blast!

April,
    Good luck on finding your 4 gig card, that always sucks to lose shots.

Nikolai,
    Now I don't feel so bad with my 30 gigs of pics... :)
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    Nikolai,
    I was bracketing a lot :-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    People pics
    In case you haven't seen it yet, here are some faces for (and of) you:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=72688
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Bendr wrote:

I'm still waiting to hear the week's total gig count for devbobo, what with his Speed Panos :giggle
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 2, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I'm still waiting to hear the week's total gig count for devbobo, what with his Speed Panos :giggle

haha...not that much....I switched to jpg remember mwink.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos