Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    JustbcuzJustbcuz Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 1, 2008
    Here is my next businesscard.
    273291222_d3HKL-X3.jpg

Howdy all ... Ill get the hang of this sooner or later but I figured I needed to get my feet wet. What better way than to jump right in!
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I finally designed a new card to include my recently acquired LLC status and my recently purchased domain name.

280397062_aqpzd-M.jpg
  • Options
    DizzleDizzle Registered Users Posts: 240 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    New cards to go with the new focus of my photography...mostly clubs, events, parties...NIGHTLIFE!

23_biz_cards.gif
    Dizzle
    DeNic Photography | Portfolio | Group Blog
    Canon 50D | 50 1.8 | 17-50 2.8 | 70-200 4L
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    TNicole wrote:
    New cards to go with the new focus of my photography...mostly clubs, events, parties...NIGHTLIFE!

23_biz_cards.gif
    Probably my favorite biz card in this thread. Way to go. clap.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    snapstackssnapstacks Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Finally posting mine
    Finally came up with one that I like, though suggestions are welcome. I like the simplicity of this card, and the feedback has been terrific.

263316325_w3RNw-M.jpg
    Teresa Childers Stacks
    www.bffphotography.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    snapstacks wrote:
    Finally came up with one that I like, though suggestions are welcome. I like the simplicity of this card, and the feedback has been terrific.
    Nice card !!
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    Guys im about to do some new cards & was wondering if anyone else leaves the www off their web page. I mean its a bit silly that the entire world uses it i think...its not like there is an option to use something else.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,459 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    snapstacks wrote:

I don't care for the font (script). IMO it's way over-used.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Guys im about to do some new cards & was wondering if anyone else leaves the www off their web page. I mean its a bit silly that the entire world uses it i think...its not like there is an option to use something else.

I thought about removing my 'www' too, but I left it because it "fit" with the rest of my card (e-mail/phone number). :D
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    Also what Metric template is everyone using in photoshop ? The US ones online uses 2" (5.1mm) wide when the australian (metric) one is 5.4mm wide.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Also what Metric template is everyone using in photoshop ? The US ones online uses 2" (5.1mm) wide when the australian (metric) one is 5.4mm wide.

I'm in the US and using Illustrator instead of Photoshop, but 9 x 5.2cm is what I would use including the bleed.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    I'm in the US and using Illustrator instead of Photoshop, but 9 x 5.2cm is what I would use including the bleed.
    Tks mike i was aware of that which is why im asking for metric. I have one of marc muench's cards & its 5.1mm like all the templates i find on the net but australian business cards are 5.4mm.
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Tks mike i was aware of that which is why im asking for metric. I have one of marc muench's cards & its 5.1mm like all the templates i find on the net but australian business cards are 5.4mm.

I guess it really depends on where you get your cards printed. I am just preparing my first business cards at the moment and plan on using Vista Prints. Their pre-defined Photoshop template uses 90mm x 52mm (full bleed) and 87mm x 49mm (document trim size)

http://www.vistaprint.com.au/vp/ns/propath/ChooseProduct.aspx?pfid=079&pf_id=079#Products

Hope this helps...
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    I guess it really depends on where you get your cards printed. I am just preparing my first business cards at the moment and plan on using Vista Prints. Their pre-defined Photoshop template uses 90mm x 52mm (full bleed) and 87mm x 49mm (document trim size)

http://www.vistaprint.com.au/vp/ns/propath/ChooseProduct.aspx?pfid=079&pf_id=079#Products

Hope this helps...

The cards here are 55mm (not 54mm as i initially thought) x 90mm & 3mm all round for the bleed. Thats a standard Australian size.

Man i was a bit loose with that decimal in my last few posts.
  • Options
    charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Hmmm. .
    Hey there. I might be wrong on this--and everyone else please jump in if I am--but I think that some websites start with http, without the www.

My advice: Make things completely unambiguous, make it as easy as possible for customers to get to you.
    gus wrote:
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited April 20, 2008
    gus wrote:
    You're right - there shouldn't be any reason to include the www. The only time I might suggest that you include it is if you were using an odd domain (ending) that isn't readily recognized as a web site identifier. Seems to me like <yourName>.com or .net or .org or .au - should be easily recognized as a web site name.

--- Denise
  • Options
    DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Hey there. I might be wrong on this--and everyone else please jump in if I am--but I think that some websites start with http, without the www.

My advice: Make things completely unambiguous, make it as easy as possible for customers to get to you.

I'll break it down for you.

www is just what's called a cname or in some cases a subdomain. The domain, whatever comes right before your .com so in my case dev-inspire.com is what's important.

if your web server is configured to use just the domain name for serving up your web page, then you can leave your www off. (try just puting your domain in the address bar, no http:// no www and see if it works).

The problem is that in many shared hosting environments where multiple web pages exist on the same IP address and the way the server tells them apart is by the address that you asked for, it may or may not be configured to serve up just the TLD(top level domain).

My best advise is to test what you plan on putting on your card. Best practice would dictate leave off the http:// as that's always assumed(you wouldn't put an FTP address on your card would you?) and add the www.yourdomain.com The www is a psychological indicator that says "hey, I'm a web page" if you just put your domain on there it looks ominous and vague.

Kind Regards,

Joe Hancuff
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    You're right - there shouldn't be any reason to include the www. The only time I might suggest that you include it is if you were using an odd domain (ending) that isn't readily recognized as a web site identifier. Seems to me like <yourName>.com or .net or .org or .au - should be easily recognized as a web site name.

--- Denise
    Thats what im thinking thus i will print my cards without it.

The biggest issue here that can confuse some people re finding a web address is people leaving off the .au ie .com or a .com.au (for australian)
  • Options
    DizzleDizzle Registered Users Posts: 240 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Probably my favorite biz card in this thread. Way to go. clap.gif

Thank you so much Mike! Just got back in town and found the cards on the porch...they look GREAT!!!!
    Dizzle
    DeNic Photography | Portfolio | Group Blog
    Canon 50D | 50 1.8 | 17-50 2.8 | 70-200 4L
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    I did a little more tweaking, added a back to my cards, and placed my order on Friday... so hopefully they'll ship and arrive sometime this week :)

The final product below:

281216415_jisBP-L.jpg
  • Options
    Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    My Business Card
    Hello there all. This is my first post and I figured what better way to into myself than by sharing my business card. check out my site at www.digitalillusions.us thanks. thumb.gif

272201290_jB5K6-M.jpg
    Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
    Digital Illusions Photography & Design
    1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
    Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown
  • Options
    cjoconn22cjoconn22 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2008
    I'm not a pro...not yet anyway :) Need a card anyhow.

But i wanted to go for an eye-catching card to have around. I ordered 100 of these tonight from overnightprints (freeship code gives free shipping)

front:
    284342057_JJYSS-L-0.jpg

back:
    284342059_9Q3cD-L-0.jpg
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Not sure if I ever posted mine here... but basically this is my only card now. For the past 18 months or so i've been shooting primarily photos at fire department events (car accidents, fires, etc...) so naturally my card was designed around that, and basically it wasnt designed to make money but it was jsut so much easier to hand out a card to fire chiefs/firefighters then have them write down my website. Ive taken a few orders for photos from people so they already paid for themselves (only cost me maybe $30 anyway for a bunch).

The photos are my own on the card:

Front:
    front.jpg

Back:
    back.jpg
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Here's my new one....:D wouldn't dare to post the old one :cry

rich56k
    it's visible in safari - but not FF?!?!
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    lendur2lendur2 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    ginger_55 wrote:
    20342487-L.jpg

Where would you all suggest I get it printed inexpensibly on the internet?
    Or as cheap as possible.

g

Below was mentioned business card stock. I have used it and think it stinks. Not thick enough, even micro-perf is ragged, and the regular perf is worse. You get 10 and all that paper is wasted.

Go to your paper store and get 108# diamond-white paper for around 15cents a sheet (~$35/200 sheets). If you have an ink jet, fine. If a laser, you have to open up the back, since this stuff doesn't bend much. At least not willingly. Beware the inkjet ink isn't permanent. Maybe you can concoct a surface (a spray from an art store?) to seal and preserve it. I've never tried; but have used both types of printer and I most vehemently prefer the laser.

Get yourself a good drawing program. There are some free ones on the net; inkscape from Source Forge is one, though I have never used it. Can use a painting program, and photoshop is upbiquitous; I prefer a drawing one. Suit yourself. Photofiltre used to be free, though I think it now costs; but Gimp is free, and from Source Forge as well. I have always used Apple Works. For your fancy picture, you need a modicum of transparency (~50%). If it be already there, ducky; otherwise you have to create it. Ergo a sophisticated art program. To be complete, I'll add that you can use a DTP program after picture files are in hand. Handy if you want to get fancy like with text wrap around pictures (objects). (Again Source Forge offers a free one called Scribus. Again never used it, though a friend who seems knowledgeable on such things says it's anemic; way less capable than their Gimp which he says is at least as good as Photoshop; maybe better--he thinks so.) AppleWorks drawing module is also rigged for DTP, and I've tried some of that fancy stuff, though not on cards. They're just too blooming small; I prefer the simple clean look, though have experimented successfully with the pictures as you have exemplified. The one you have supplied looks of a different aspect ratio; again a reason to go with "roll-your-own" cards.

For cards of 2" x 3.5", set your margins at 1/4" all around. (Some printers cannot accomodate it. I have met two.) You get 12.

Make a grid of grey, position it most carefully, and anchor it. (I also group the lines. And if you want to remove it before saving, not only that, but also stick in a stray line outside the card matrix so you can easily click on it to select without also selecting the stuff which is part of your cards) Before laying out the cards themselves, experiment by printing them on plain paper. Use a sheet already printed on one side which is relegated to the waste heap. Look for the line to be the faintest discernible. On the other hand if there is sufficient contrast between adjacent cards, this fussy fiddling is probably unnecessary. But you need lines to be able to set up on your workpage; they can be deleted just before saving/printing.

Set up your text and imaging as you see fit.

A good paper cutter is best by far, but I always used a scissors. Tedious, but it's either money or time and I was broke after buying the paper That's a dead giveaway that I'm no pro. :D Just that a lot of people like you to make them business cards if you will agree to (my work is always free, and I supply all materials at my expense), so I've made them in their thousands. Using scissors, that's an all-nighter! rolleyes1.gif

I hope this helps you. A good business card is a *definite* asset. Once again, I *do* like yours.
  • Options
    lendur2lendur2 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Great Thread Ginger....I too like to see others cards never thought of starting a thread for it.

Here is mine, it too is a really bad scan of it. I need to figure out how to better use my scanner to get better results. The card looks great in person.

Anyways.....here it is...

There is a free lesson that is pretty thorough: Scan Tips
    http://www.scantips.com/
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    lendur2 wrote:
    Below was mentioned business card stock. I have used it and think it stinks. Not thick enough, even micro-perf is ragged, and the regular perf is worse. You get 10 and all that paper is wasted.

Go to your paper store and get 108# diamond-white paper for around 15cents a sheet (~$35/200 sheets). If you have an ink jet, fine. If a laser, you have to open up the back, since this stuff doesn't bend much. At least not willingly. Beware the inkjet ink isn't permanent. Maybe you can concoct a surface (a spray from an art store?) to seal and preserve it. I've never tried; but have used both types of printer and I most vehemently prefer the laser.

Get yourself a good drawing program. There are some free ones on the net; inkscape from Source Forge is one, though I have never used it. Can use a painting program, and photoshop is upbiquitous; I prefer a drawing one. Suit yourself. Photofiltre used to be free, though I think it now costs; but Gimp is free, and from Source Forge as well. I have always used Apple Works. For your fancy picture, you need a modicum of transparency (~50%). If it be already there, ducky; otherwise you have to create it. Ergo a sophisticated art program. To be complete, I'll add that you can use a DTP program after picture files are in hand. Handy if you want to get fancy like with text wrap around pictures (objects). (Again Source Forge offers a free one called Scribus. Again never used it, though a friend who seems knowledgeable on such things says it's anemic; way less capable than their Gimp which he says is at least as good as Photoshop; maybe better--he thinks so.) AppleWorks drawing module is also rigged for DTP, and I've tried some of that fancy stuff, though not on cards. They're just too blooming small; I prefer the simple clean look, though have experimented successfully with the pictures as you have exemplified. The one you have supplied looks of a different aspect ratio; again a reason to go with "roll-your-own" cards.

For cards of 2" x 3.5", set your margins at 1/4" all around. (Some printers cannot accomodate it. I have met two.) You get 12.

Make a grid of grey, position it most carefully, and anchor it. (I also group the lines. And if you want to remove it before saving, not only that, but also stick in a stray line outside the card matrix so you can easily click on it to select without also selecting the stuff which is part of your cards) Before laying out the cards themselves, experiment by printing them on plain paper. Use a sheet already printed on one side which is relegated to the waste heap. Look for the line to be the faintest discernible. On the other hand if there is sufficient contrast between adjacent cards, this fussy fiddling is probably unnecessary. But you need lines to be able to set up on your workpage; they can be deleted just before saving/printing.

Set up your text and imaging as you see fit.

A good paper cutter is best by far, but I always used a scissors. Tedious, but it's either money or time and I was broke after buying the paper That's a dead giveaway that I'm no pro. :D Just that a lot of people like you to make them business cards if you will agree to (my work is always free, and I supply all materials at my expense), so I've made them in their thousands. Using scissors, that's an all-nighter! rolleyes1.gif

I hope this helps you. A good business card is a *definite* asset. Once again, I *do* like yours.
    Ummmm.... Replying to old posts is often a bad idea.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=60680
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Cat,

I love your card!!!!thumb.gif How did you add the multiple photos on the front? Are you using Photoshop?

Thanks,
    Shima wrote:
    I did a little more tweaking, added a back to my cards, and placed my order on Friday... so hopefully they'll ship and arrive sometime this week :)

The final product below:

281216415_jisBP-L.jpg
  • Options
    NewEraChildNewEraChild Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    gus wrote:

Gus, from a graphics design standpoint I believe that whether or not you include the www. is entirely up to you. Personally I have simply used the www. because in most of my designs the www. seems to offset the .com on the opposite side in terms of balance. However, if you are simply doing sample.smugmug.com, please please please leave off the www.

the extra www. before that just looks tacky, elongated, and unprofessional. the simpler the website name, the more likely a person is to remember it and go there. So in short, there really is no need for a www. at the beginning of the website name. The .com is quite simply enough for anyone that you will meet.

As for myself, I will be posting my own business cards as soon as i have them all squared away.