Options

The Keeping Divamum Sane Thread

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    mmmmmmm....a hot belgium waffle with melted butter and warm maple syrup and a cup o coffee sounds good about now! This thread talks about way to much food. You all are making it hard to get through the season without tempting me to eating myself into a new dress size!:eat

I'll second that mmmmmm on the waffles. No time to make homemade today though. I have cookies to bake. So, cookies for lunch probably.

On that other subject... My clients who purchase a disc also get the images downloadable through smumug. So if something were to happen to their disc, they still have access to the files. And even if my external drive fails, I at least have my important jpgs on smug.

I finally called a repair shop for the imac now that it's been over a week (so stubborn, I know). It'll be $90 for them to diagnose the problem, and of course they may not have time to get to it today and they'll be closed from tomorrow until Monday.

Caroline
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    what that stuff called that is made up of chex mix, coconut, sticky honey kinda nummy stuff and chocolateness too?

im eating some right now and it sure is good....

i cant stop until its all gone....:ivar
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Now y'all are making me want to bake some more... which is DANGEROUS! It's at the point where I don't dare bake because if I make it, I eat it ... and eat it... yummy!

That said, we did have fresh bread with dinner last night (I love my bread machine!)
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    so my question is? has everyone enjoyed "not" having my opinion in almost ever thread?:D
    (i truly hope that isnt too true)(but im sure it is for some)thumb.gif

anyway,
    all's well, im just saving it all up for C&C.... my axe & blades are getting sharpened as we speak....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    so my question is? has everyone enjoyed "not" having my opinion in almost ever thread?:D

anyway,
    all's well, im just saving it all up for C&C.... my axe & blades are getting sharpened as we speak....

Shhhhh....! You'll scare them off and then we'll REALLY have nothing to do!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 23, 2008

anyway,

I miss both you and divamum comments on my work! :cry And no I am not trying to :buttkiss .:D
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    hahaha..... yes my sarcasm can read one way or the other.....

all should know im just a good guy looking to talk photog,( with just a sprinkle of crazy talk ), right??...

anyway, i look forward to all the entries, i have no doubt it will be the usual amazing work...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    I miss both you and divamum comments on my work! :cry And no I am not trying to :buttkiss .:D

rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    hahaha..... yes my sarcasm can read one way or the other.....

all should know im just a good guy looking to talk photog,( with just a sprinkle of crazy talk ), right??...

Heeehheeeee... welcome to my world, dude! (And you have just described what I love about this forum - serious photog talk mingled with a dose of healthy insanity and LOADS of dry humour to wash it all down thumb.gif)
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    JAG wrote:

Bwahahahahahahahaha...

I promise I'll make up for it when I don't have to sit on my hands any more!!
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    mmmmmmm....:eat

Got ya rolleyes1.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    <

I discovered the secret to youth!!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    I discovered the secret to youth!!!!clap.gif

Well my avitar was suppose to change.....but apparently I cannot get it to change with a gif file or an avi. So here it is from flickr..
    3132655956_ccf232ec35_o.gif

The punch line is....I found the secret of youth is through my children!
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2008
    But it did change! (and adorable it is, too :)
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    3132655956_ccf232ec35_o.gif

rolleyes1.gifIf only we could mimic that for real. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2008
    i just ask to have all the extra energy these little buggers got...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2008
    i just ask to have all the extra energy these little buggers got...

You're not kidding (and it will be a very early morning tomorrow, you can be sure of it...!)

And on that note - Happy Holidays one and all!
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Whirled Pea's to all and to all a good night! wings.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    Merry Christmas and stay sane everybody :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    ok, ive offically gone crazy waiting for this round to end....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    and im at workie today...anyone feel bad for me?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    and im at workie today...anyone feel bad for me?

NOBODY should be at work the day after Christmas - Boxing Day should be a legal holiday everywhere, not just in the former Empire!!!! :D

I've kept myself sane this round by planning how to spend money I don't have - or THOUGHT I didn't have. Happily, my family listened to my pathetic pleas for cash-for-camera-gear for Christmas (we embargoed spousal gifts in the wake of my jobs for next year evaporating, but my parents still were giving - but they usually like to get something *tangible* instead of financial contributions or gift cards so I wasn't expecting anything.) In any case, I just ordered me an ste2 which, for some reason, seemed to be on sale at Amazon. As in... the REAL Amazon. Woohoo! Off camera flash at last! (unless I get an email telling me it's not really available - apparently it was the last one in stock. I still can't figure out why it was cheap since it's new - maybe an open box or something? I guess I'll find out, but since it was about the same price as KEH but didn't have their whacking great shipping charge, it was a no-brainer. Here's hoping it isn't a loss leader of some kind..... I'll cling to the good thought that since it was Amazon-for-real it isn't a scam and the worst that will happen is that they don't really have it in stock and I'll have to keep scouring the used listings on FM and POTN until I find one....)
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    NOBODY should be at work the day after Christmas - Boxing Day should be a legal holiday everywhere, not just in the former Empire!!!! :D

I've kept myself sane this round by planning how to spend money I don't have - or THOUGHT I didn't have. Happily, my family listened to my pathetic pleas for cash-for-camera-gear for Christmas (we embargoed spousal gifts in the wake of my jobs for next year evaporating, but my parents still were giving - but they usually like to get something *tangible* instead of financial contributions or gift cards so I wasn't expecting anything.) In any case, I just ordered me an ste2 which, for some reason, seemed to be on sale at Amazon. As in... the REAL Amazon. Woohoo! Off camera flash at last! (unless I get an email telling me it's not really available - apparently it was the last one in stock. I still can't figure out why it was cheap since it's new - maybe an open box or something? I guess I'll find out, but since it was about the same price as KEH but didn't have their whacking great shipping charge, it was a no-brainer. Here's hoping it isn't a loss leader of some kind..... I'll cling to the good thought that since it was Amazon-for-real it isn't a scam and the worst that will happen is that they don't really have it in stock and I'll have to keep scouring the used listings on FM and POTN until I find one....)

Oh boy!

The photography world is about to be up-ended!!!

I am excited for you!!!...and BTW have made MANY gear purchases from and through Amazon. In fact I will more than likely be ordering a 50D and 50mm F1.4 lens through Amazon in the next week or so.

Also....I got an email offer today for a Pantone Huey....a calibration device for $69. That's a bargain as well....but I already have a device. If interested lemme know!

FWIW, I used the STE2 and a pair of 580EX flash units to light all my Christmas photos.

This first is a shot of my seafood gumbo cooking on the stove. You can just see one flash unit at the top right corner of the frame ...the black object atop the shelf.
    442373575_rSPi3-S.jpg

That light was set up to bounce off the kitchen ceiling above the table....where my father-in-law was seated for this shot.

442371446_MUHJz-S.jpg

I also had another set up to bounce off the living room ceiling...for when my niece was getting down to business.
    442388650_ZdL7j-S.jpg

I set things up differently for Christmas morning since I didnt need to light the dining area, and used two units in the living room...

443083652_RtoBE-S.jpg

...and of course....the gift of photography to my oldest girl...
    443085096_fNaaQ-S.jpg

among other doo-dads..
    443085517_Krc4k-S.jpg

The STE2 is very good at this...that is...lighting smaller areas and keeping you from having to wheel a camera mounted flash around. Good Stuff!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    Heeeheeee! Yeah, we've bought loads through Amazon over the years so I'm not worried about it per se, just baffled as to why they'd be selling a new ste2 for $165. But I am SO not complaining!

Sending you a pm about the calibrator, since that's the 3rd item on my shopping list :)

And I love how you manage to turn THE most ordinary things into fun pictures - looking forward to the next one :) (I can practically smell that gumbo - yum!!)

jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Oh boy!

The photography world is about to be up-ended!!!

I am excited for you!!!...and BTW have made MANY gear purchases from and through Amazon. In fact I will more than likely be ordering a 50D and 50mm F1.4 lens through Amazon in the next week or so.

Also....I got an email offer today for a Pantone Huey....a calibration device for $69. That's a bargain as well....but I already have a device. If interested lemme know!

FWIW, I used the STE2 and a pair of 580EX flash units to light all my Christmas photos.

This first is a shot of my seafood gumbo cooking on the stove. You can just see one flash unit at the top right corner of the frame ...the black object atop the shelf.

That light was set up to bounce off the kitchen ceiling above the table....where my father-in-law was seated for this shot.

I also had another set up to bounce off the living room ceiling...for when my niece was getting down to business.

I set things up differently for Christmas morning since I didnt need to light the dining area, and used two units in the living room...

Those are uploading now, and Ill have to add one for you later.

The STE2 is very good at this...that is...lighting smaller areas and keeping you from having to wheel a camera mounted flash around. Good Stuff!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    divamum wrote:

Congrates on your new Camera stuff! I didn't get any camera "stuff" other than some kenko tubes before Christmas (part of my smugmug winnings from bnh) But I did get two gift cards and if I have my way they will be spent on gear!

Today is a workday for alot of us....I had to take the dog to the vet as we found a cist a couple days ago that came back all the sudden....she goes back in again on Monday for the surgery. Then I came home and shoveled the 3 feet of snow off the porch and deck out back so we could get out the back doors. Had loads of snow that fell for 24 hours all through Christmas day!

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    Lovely x-mas indeed :D
    Lotsa food, sleep and sauna iloveyou.gif

Finland is starting to liven up again, we jump the gun and do most of the Christmas stuff on the 24th. Boxing day is a national holiday, but the whole country isn't at home eating ham like the day before.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited December 26, 2008
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    JAG wrote:

Must've taken quite a few drinks for the guy being chased to think it was funny :D

I'm guessing that's from Churchill, Manitoba, where they get invaded by polar bears every summer as the Hudson Bay melts.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Must've taken quite a few drinks for the guy being chased to think it was funny :D

I'm guessing that's from Churchill, Manitoba, where they get invaded by polar bears every summer as the Hudson Bay melts.

Naww...the laugh was from the guy who stood there taking pictures of his buddy being chased by a bear! You would have thought he would have helped him scare the bear away. However the guy was in some serious danger and that is no laughing matter.

fyi...the pics were taken in Barrow, Alaska....both of the trucks in the pics have Alaskan license plates.
  • Options
    KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    I had to work today too... but I celebrated Boxing Day by giving notice to my employer... yes, in a crappy economy, I'm willing to give up a job...

See, my soon-to-be-former employer (AT&T), through a joint venture between labor and management, is helping pay for me to go to umpire school, specifically the Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring. It's being held in Kissimmee, FL, the spring training home of the Houston Astros. We're actually using the Astros complex (classroom, fields, batting cages) for training.

As crazy as them helping pay for it sounds, that's not why I decided to give notice today. Before finding out I'd been given the money, I had already asked for a leave of absence to go. I'd been told by my mom that she'd loan me the money if AT&T didn't pay.

No, the reason I decided to give notice is this. A week ago, I found out my request for a leave of absence had been turned down. It was almost as if they were saying, "Hey, here's the money... but you can't go." They were trying to claim that the work that was coming in next month was so important that they couldn't let me go, and they needed all hands on deck (tell that to the people who sit around on their asses all day not doing a damn thing). So, today, I wrote out my resignation and handed it to the same manager that was surprised I made it through training almost 5-1/2 years ago because I spent most of the first week with my head down on the desk because of a severe case of sinusitis (it was so bad that I went in that Friday with a temp of 102.1).

It's possible that going to the Evans academy will lead to a job in minor league baseball (one can hope), but even that small chance at a job I would absolutely love made it worth it to give up the job I have...

Thanks for listening to me rant... when they told me the leave request had been turned down, they took me into a room and shut the door because they were afraid I was going to start yelling. Only reason I didn't was because it wasn't the fault of the people telling me.
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II