Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    agallia wrote:
    Hi, David. Please see my post #217 this thread on this subject. Suggestion for feature upgrade
    Tools/This Photo - Suggest adding a "Copy to Gallery" tool.
    Tools/Many Photos - Suggest adding "Copy to Gallery" and "Copy to Multiple Galleries" tools.
    Hope Smugmug team can do!
    Yeah - I have seen this request many times. Heck, I have probably posted in the past, too. Just adding my $0.02 to this request.

I've seen it so many times, I'm trying to link to each and every request here:

Uber-Thread for "Copy To Gallery" / "Virtual Gallery" Feature Request:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=110537
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    The thing I don't like about posting in this thread is that it's impossible to have a focused discussion about a single topic in this thread. After all, by defintion, this thread is conglomeration of a zillion topics.

It's also impossible to have a meaningful thread topic line that will attract other people to comment on your posting because the thread topic line is already fixed for the feature request thread and it's generic. If people aren't "in" to reading all the feature requests, they will never see your posting.

I get that you're trying to make it easy for Smugmug employees who don't regularly read forum postings to browse feature requests and I suppose that's a good thing, but certainly you can also understand why some people want to have their own focused conversation about a new feature that isn't interleaved with all the other postings in this thread and somewhat "hidden" in the forum because it doesn't have it's own thread subject line in the forum.

Exactly. I even found what I thought was a perfect solution to the problem: sub-sub-forums.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=935987#post935987

Andy could set up a "Feature Request" sub-sub-forum and each request could have its own thread in there. All the requests would be in one place, for easy browsing by both SM employees *and* users.
  • Options
    OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    More compact statistics view
    Is there some way of getting a more compact statistics view? The diagrams are nice but it's difficult to get some kind of overview
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Opps wrote:
    Is there some way of getting a more compact statistics view? The diagrams are nice but it's difficult to get some kind of overview
    Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Sound Recordings
    darryl wrote:
    Hi Harald. You can store sound files. It's not included with your regular SmugMug membership though. SmugMug recently started a service called SmugVault for storing files of any type:

http://www.smugmug.com/price/smugvault.mg
    Is that true ? ... Can I treat also Sound files like an Image file? And put them in categories and subs and galleries ???

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • Options
    kensingtonkensington Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Photo count for Galleries
    I like how Categories and Sub-Categories show the number of Galleries and photos contained within, I would like to also see this at the Gallery level.
  • Options
    ericmweaverericmweaver Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Shopping Cart Stuff
    This might have been noted in an earlier thread. If it has I apologize in advance. Are there plans for a "comment" or "notes" during the check out process that can be gallery specific? I know it could potentially open a can-'o-worms for unwanted client requests/questions, but I just shot a marathon and gave the option to put the finish times on their prints. I put a print delay on the gallery so I could make the proper edits then upload. There's no easy way for them to indicate which images they want times on or any other "special instructions"

Just a thought.

Thanks,
    Eric Weaver wephoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2008
    This might have been noted in an earlier thread. If it has I apologize in advance. Are there plans for a "comment" or "notes" during the check out process that can be gallery specific? I know it could potentially open a can-'o-worms for unwanted client requests/questions, but I just shot a marathon and gave the option to put the finish times on their prints. I put a print delay on the gallery so I could make the proper edits then upload. There's no easy way for them to indicate which images they want times on or any other "special instructions"

Just a thought.

Thanks,
    Eric Weaver wephoto.smugmug.com
    Thanks for the FR. For now, set your galleries for proof delay, and email your buyer to get their times thumb.gif
  • Options
    ericmweaverericmweaver Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Will do =) good idea.

Thx
  • Options
    k00kykellyk00kykelly Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2008
    homepage block - Category X Galleries
    I'd like to see one of the homepage blocks that you can add be a category block. All the galleries in that category would show under that block or it could be set to only show the x most recent.

This way you can use the categories to organize your pictures, but still have a few galleries from each category showing on the homepage to draw a visitor in.

I suppose a work around for this would be to feature all the galleries in a certain category, but then you have to choose only one category.
  • Options
    pancamopancamo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Paypal as Payment Method
    Sure would be nice to offer paypal as a payment method... Even Southwest Air does paypal now:ivar
  • Options
    FliggygFliggyg Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    I am not sure if this has been asked but I got tired of trying to look through the requests.. Would it be possible to give a total count on each photo viewed in the gallery stats? That way we could see which photo was looked at the most as total views (for all sizes). also a sorting option of most viewed (total count) would be awesome. I am new and still trying to determine what poses and setups interest people the most and it gives me indication by the number of times a photo is viewed...

Thanks,
    jay
  • Options
    pavepave Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Videos playing during slideshow
    Thando wrote:
    Got an idea? Give it to us here. All of the SmugMug crew read this thread so feel free to share your ideas. Go ahead, give us the requests.
    For me the most wanted feature is having videos start playing automatically during slideshow (it doesn't even have to be full-screen slideshow). Right now, when you have photos and videos mixed together in a gallery and want to see it all, the experience is very poor. Unfortunately, flickr and picasaweb win here. :(

PS. Turns out I'm not the only one. Some support for this feature request may be found here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=103650
  • Options
    BCinDCBCinDC Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 13, 2008
    Add "Sharegroups" Section to Homepage, Separate "Categories" & "Galleries"
    It would be really helpful to have the option to add a "Sharegroups" section to the homepage, just as there is are "Categories" or "Galleries", "Feature Galleries", etc. sections now. Second suggestion, allow both "Categories" & "Galleries" sections. The either or nature of this seems a little arbitrary.

Bob
  • Options
    mduff1mduff1 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Payment options suggestions
    In looking at the payment page when checking out, I have a few suggestions that I would like you to implement. I'm not being demanding, but the page needs some information that will let buyers feel more comfortable when purchasing.

So here are the suggestions, but below the suggestions I have modified your payment page (snapshot image with photoshop changes) that will hopefully give you a clear indication what I am looking for.
    • Make it clear that the buyer is on a secure sever. I know you guys are using SSL (https), but most people don't even know what that is. So a simple statement at the top like "You are on a secure server" would help.
    • Make a statement about how you will not send spam or sell people's information
    • Put the icons for each of the cards, or a drop-down list for buyers to choose from.
    • Allow users to use PayPal as an alternative (this is a big one)
    Here is the example I mentioned above:
    http://duffpoint.smugmug.com/gallery/6563317_DH9x4#417699088_NdEDJ

6563317_DH9x4#417699088_NdEDJ

I hope you consider these suggestions.

Thank you, mduff1
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Video Start button
    Can the Video Start button be made translucent so the photo behind shows
    through? It covers too much of small photos and can't see what subject is.
    Thanks
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Can the Video Start button be made translucent so the photo behind shows
    through? It covers too much of small photos and can't see what subject is.
    Thanks
    Thanks Al, I'll make sure the team sees this!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Whizzy new customization idea
    See this thread for a discussion of a new feature request: "Assign your own CSS class names to a gallery" and how cool it could make CSS customization.

Easier, more flexible, more maintainable, easier to troubleshoot, expandable in some really neat ways, gets rid of arcane gallery numbers in CSS, etc...
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    andycarlosandycarlos Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2008
    Specify Gallery URLs
    I would like the ability to specify the URL by which individual galleries may be accessed, so that the addresses are easier to give out and easier to remember.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    andycarlos wrote:
    I would like the ability to specify the URL by which individual galleries may be accessed, so that the addresses are easier to give out and easier to remember.

Have you seen vanity URLs? They let your views type a more friendly name that will then redirect them automatically to the actual gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    andycarlosandycarlos Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2008
    Re: Vanity URLs
    jfriend wrote:
    Have you seen vanity URLs? They let your views type a more friendly name that will then redirect them automatically to the actual gallery.

Unfortunately, this doesn't keep the "vanity" URL in the address bar as typed, and furthermore it is a good deal of work to manage, if you have a lot of galleries. Keeping it in the address bar is essential, as otherwise there is the potential for confusion in your clients as they browse. The biggest problem is really just that it's an unwieldy hack, and is hard to manage with many galleries.

I do appreciate the suggestion, but my request still stands as something I think would be useful for smugmug to offer.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    andycarlos wrote:
    Unfortunately, this doesn't keep the "vanity" URL in the address bar as typed, and furthermore it is a good deal of work to manage, if you have a lot of galleries. Keeping it in the address bar is essential, as otherwise there is the potential for confusion in your clients as they browse. The biggest problem is really just that it's an unwieldy hack, and is hard to manage with many galleries.

I do appreciate the suggestion, but my request still stands as something I think would be useful for smugmug to offer.

I don't mean to take anything away from your feature request of Smugmug, feel free to press them for it.

But if you have a problem today with your viewers remembering or typing unweildy gallery numbers and you don't see another solution coming from Smugmug soon, vanity URLs do give you a pretty name that a viewer can both remember and type. They can solve that part of the equation and many people use them successfully just for that.

As for how unweildy it is, I guess that's a matter of opinion. Once you have it initially configured, you just add one row to a table for every gallery that you want to have a vanity name. You'd be typing the vanity name into some screen in Smugmug anyway even if they had that feature, so it's really just an additional matter of copying and pasting the URL. I don't find I need a vanity URL for every gallery, just the common entry ponts to my site and viewers then browse from there.

You are right that it doesn't keep the pretty name in the browser bar (for security reasons, browsers will only display the real URL in the URL bar). But most people find that once people are in the gallery, their navigation from there is more about what's on the screen (bread crumb links, navbar links, other custom links you add, etc...) than it is about what's in the URL bar. After all, how does a pretty name in the URL bar help them find the next gallery they want. That's more about using page navigation aids to browse your site.

I don't mean to be argumentative here. You are free to use or not use vanity URLs. I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss the parts of the equation that they can help with.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Bulk Thumnail Crop
    I love the new square thumbnails, but I find I have to spend a lot of time editing them manually. Why? I shoot sports, and many of my pictures are portrait action shots.

The default setting for square thumbs - which takes from the middle - usually cuts off the player's head!

I would love a "bulk crop" capability that lets me choose which area of the photo is chosen for the "crop". The most basic fix that would probably meet 90% of the need would be to add an option to just start the thumbnail crop from the top on all portrait images. Allowing users to choose a specific area of the image to use (as with the image-by-image thumbnail crop utility) would be even better.
  • Options
    havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Blackberry Storm needs some Smug Love
    Anything in the works for a Smug app on RIM's BB Storm?

(yes I'm the one person who doesn't have an iphone)
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    Is filename display busted?
    According to item 43 in the FAQ:

2008-11-20_1847.png

One should be able to show filenames with this CSS, but several of us cannot get it to work. We have filenames enabled in customize gallery, but the fileNamBoxWrapper object in the page is empty and does not contain a filename so even when we show it, there's nothing to see. Is this busted? No longer supported? Some other magic incantation required to make it work?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    According to item 43 in the FAQ:

2008-11-20_1847.png

One should be able to show filenames with this CSS, but several of us cannot get it to work. We have filenames enabled in customize gallery, but the fileNamBoxWrapper object in the page is empty and does not contain a filename so even when we show it, there's nothing to see. Is this busted? No longer supported? Some other magic incantation required to make it work?
    Not busted, not a bug

20081121-caugptrx9q83q4grchscifcxp9.jpg

Where is it not working for you?
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Not busted, not a bug

Where is it not working for you?

Working OK for me. Pilot error.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Working OK for me. Pilot error.
    yup, no problemo, case closed :)
  • Options
    8foldpath8foldpath Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 21, 2008
    Keywords in Private Galleries is ABSOLUTELY Critical
    Keywords in Private Galleries is ABSOLUTELY Critical. Two examples : "Private Gallery with Children from School", "Photographing Private Art Collections". Keywords are absolutely critical in these situation.. Or else they just seem like a bunch of random photos.

Let's get on this feature!! Please.

xxclixxx wrote:
    Features Requested:
    • Enable keywords within private galleries (so I can tag children's photos and send their parents to a private gallery they can just click their kid's name and see only their kid rather than 1000 random photos)
    • Face recognition (like PicasaWeb so I can do the above but much quicker)
    • Sort galleries by popularity (based on viewing larger sizes, so our better shots get shown first)
This discussion has been closed.