Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    micknewton wrote:
    Some way to easily save all of your customization code and settings to a single file would be a great feature.

I recently spent several weeks of painstaking work to customize my site. It required lots of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript code in dozens of locations to get it done. To protect my investment, I periodically back up all of my customization code in files on my hard disk and make copies of them on CD. It's a very time consuming, yet necessary, task. It would be very nice to have a control panel option that would automate the whole process.

Would it be possible for me to get access to Smugmug's API so I could develop my own utility for this?

SmugMug API info is here: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/API

But there isn't anything in there that would give you access to your customizations. That'd be a cool addition though.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    micknewton wrote:
    Some way to easily save all of your customization code and settings to a single file would be a great feature.

I recently spent several weeks of painstaking work to customize my site. It required lots of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript code in dozens of locations to get it done. To protect my investment, I periodically back up all of my customization code in files on my hard disk and make copies of them on CD. It's a very time consuming, yet necessary, task. It would be very nice to have a control panel option that would automate the whole process.

Would it be possible for me to get access to Smugmug's API so I could develop my own utility for this?

I second your feature request. Ideally, Smugmug would even keep a few versions for you so if you mess up, you could go back to yesterday's version.

As a workaround n the meantime, one thing I recently realized is that if you go to your homepage in Firefox and do a File/Save Page As to your hard disk, it will save a bunch of stuff. In all that stuff it saves is all your customization and it could all be recovered from there in case of disaster with a little cut and pasting.

The custom header and footer code is between comments in the HTML for the saved page itself. The top and bottom javascript sections and the CSS section are each in their own file in a sub-directory below where you saved your HTML file.

The same feature exists in IE so it can probably be done from there too, but I haven't tried it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    SmugMug API info is here: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/API

But there isn't anything in there that would give you access to your customizations. That'd be a cool addition though.
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I'm surprised that the API doesn't provide access to this info. So, if you can't get the info, then there's probably no way to set it either. That would seem to preclude developing any sort of remote configuration utility. That's too bad.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I second your feature request. Ideally, Smugmug would even keep a few versions for you so if you mess up, you could go back to yesterday's version.

As a workaround n the meantime, one thing I recently realized is that if you go to your homepage in Firefox and do a File/Save Page As to your hard disk, it will save a bunch of stuff. In all that stuff it saves is all your customization and it could all be recovered from there in case of disaster with a little cut and pasting.

The custom header and footer code is between comments in the HTML for the saved page itself. The top and bottom javascript sections and the CSS section are each in their own file in a sub-directory below where you saved your HTML file.

The same feature exists in IE so it can probably be done from there too, but I haven't tried it.
    Yes, but even with the Save Complete add-on, it doesn't save all of your custom code. For instance, any HTML code that you might have in each of your gallery descriptions. It does save most of your custom code though.

Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    micknewton wrote:
    Yes, but even with the Save Complete add-on, it doesn't save all of your custom code. For instance, any HTML code that you might have in each of your gallery descriptions. It does save most of your custom code though.

Thanks for the reply!

It wasn't clear to me in your original request that you wanted a place where gallery descriptions were backed up. My understanding is that we were talking about the control panel customizations.

Curiously enough, you can get gallery descriptions through the Smugmug API, so to your original question about the API, gallery descriptions could be backed up via the API.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    This would be a great feature and would save having to ALWAYS go to customize settings after every gallery you create. Then, if you don't like square thumbs, you just save rectangular thumbs as your default quick setting. FYI, I don't think quick settings are available via the API so that's why no uploaders support them.

Hey John:

Turns out the API does support Quick Settings, via a method named smugmug.albumtemplates.get

What do you use to upload? Lightroom? Picasa? Guess we need to whine about it to those developers. (Hey wait, isn't the Picasa plug-in developed in-house? If so, SmugMug should really update it to support Quick Settings!)
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Hey John:

Turns out the API does support Quick Settings, via a method named smugmug.albumtemplates.get

What do you use to upload? Lightroom? Picasa? Guess we need to whine about it to those developers. (Hey wait, isn't the Picasa plug-in developed in-house? If so, SmugMug should really update it to support Quick Settings!)

I mostly use StarExplorer for uploads because it has much more robust error handling, auto-retry logic and persistent upload queues along with the ability to upload to multiple galleries in one, unattended overnight session.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    It wasn't clear to me in your original request that you wanted a place where gallery descriptions were backed up. My understanding is that we were talking about the control panel customizations.
    I meant all customization code. HTML code in gallery descriptions, code in the bioBox, custom themes, and all the control panel stuff too.

jfriend wrote:
    Curiously enough, you can get gallery descriptions through the Smugmug API, so to your original question about the API, gallery descriptions could be backed up via the API.
    So, if I want to give it a try I should request an API key, is that right?
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Lens Support
    I'd like to suggest that PRO users, or all users even, have the ability to add in the lens information for their photos.

As we all know - EXIF data is available under the photo info link - but I think it would be nice to also be able to add which lens was used for particular photos.

We could have a listing of available lenses - similar to what pbase.com has - and choose lenses that are saved to a 'my lenses' listing, then be able to add those into a gallery via mass update similar to adding key words and captions.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited October 14, 2008
    I'd like to suggest that PRO users, or all users even, have the ability to add in the lens information for their photos.

As we all know - EXIF data is available under the photo info link - but I think it would be nice to also be able to add which lens was used for particular photos.

We could have a listing of available lenses - similar to what pbase.com has - and choose lenses that are saved to a 'my lenses' listing, then be able to add those into a gallery via mass update similar to adding key words and captions.

That would be a welcome addition. The lens max and min focal length are actually available in the EXIF data that Canon dSLRs produce--I imagine this is also true of other manufacturers. SmugMug would need to parse the field and add it to the Info display.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    S4perS4per Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    just adding a big 'me too' for the following features:
    1. virtual galleries
    2. password protect categories - - this is the big one for me. Right now I password protect my entire site, but I want to share a gallery here or there with the general public. With this feature, I could start with 2 high level categories: public and private, and require a password for the private category. Within private, I could have my usual hierarchy of categories (vacations, adventures, etc.) and friends and family could view everything within 'private' with just one password.
    Thanks!

-Per
  • Options
    C_lawgikC_lawgik Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    S4per wrote:
    just adding a big 'me too' for the following features:
    1. virtual galleries
    2. password protect categories - - this is the big one for me. Right now I password protect my entire site, but I want to share a gallery here or there with the general public. With this feature, I could start with 2 high level categories: public and private, and require a password for the private category. Within private, I could have my usual hierarchy of categories (vacations, adventures, etc.) and friends and family could view everything within 'private' with just one password.
    Thanks!

-Per

I second the private category
    http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
    Really good upload program for smugmug^^^

• Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I mostly use StarExplorer for uploads because it has much more robust error handling, auto-retry logic and persistent upload queues along with the ability to upload to multiple galleries in one, unattended overnight session.

Man, I hate that the discussion of this feature request: Default Quick Settings is spread throughout this post, making it very hard to follow. I'm creating a separate discussion thread for it here.

(My follow-up is a question about why StarExplorer doesn't support Quick Settings.)
  • Options
    MikeCMikeC Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2008
    Stats Page - Suggestion
    Hi Guys,
    Just a couple of suggestions regarding the stats page. I use this fairly heavily to see when clients/prospects are looking at their photos, so these are coming from that perspective.

1. Nominate a gallery for stats.
    I don't need to see the stats on all my galleries all the time. I'd like to be able to nominate those galleries that I want to see, as well as an "all galleries" option. Some of the nomination options might be "galleries viewed this week (last 7 days), galleries viewed this month etc, as well as specifically nominated galleries so you can track what is happening is a particular subset.

2. Gallery Stats Sorting
    It would be great to have an option in stats that sorts galleries by activity or other criteria. That way the more active galleries sould be at the top of the list, allowing a quick glance to see activity and what's popular.

Hope this is at least a little helpful to others as well.

Cheers,

Mike
  • Options
    stubblestubble Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    Contacts-only privacy, & dated albums
    After using Smugmug for a while, I have a few requests. 1 & 2 are the BIG ones for me. The rest would be really great.

1. Be able to date albums, and sort the album listing by date. Phanfare does this really well, (auto dating from EXIF even), and it allows for a nice maintenance-free chronological homepage view.

2. A new privacy level for "Contacts Only". Albums would be unlisted to the general public, but would show on the homepage to friends/family.

3. A privacy option to allow RSS for non-public albums.

4. An option to allow custom referer limitations for external links. E.g., only mysite.com can link to this album.

5. As previously mentioned here: Default quick settings.

6. Last, longer HD video. 15 minutes? For now I've got to give Motionbox my money for this.

Can anyone comment on the status or likelihood of any of the these? Thanks guys!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    stubble wrote:
    3. A privacy option to allow RSS for non-public albums.

You can currently use RSS feeds on unlisted galleries. Just copy the feed URL from a public gallery and change the Data number to be the gallery ID of the unlisted gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    I would love it if the Edit Gallery Description box were larger than four lines of text. It would make creating html-only pages so much easier if I have didn't have to scroll so much, especially when editing. :D
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    I would love it if the Edit Gallery Description box were larger than four lines of text. It would make creating html-only pages so much easier if I have didn't have to scroll so much, especially when editing. :D
    Add this to your CSS.

#newDescription {height: 400px !important} /* edit desc box */
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    rolleyes1.gifI should know by know that anything can be customized and not to take for granted that it is the way is.

Thank you so much Allen, that is exactly what I needed! wings.gif
  • Options
    adammhaileadammhaile Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2008
    Guest Logins for Private Galleries
    I like the feature of being able to mark a gallery as private, but the downside I find to it is that I have to actually tell people what the link to it is. It would be great if you could either be able to create "guest accounts" for people to login and view anything you give them access to, or be able to mark a gallery as viewable by any other particular SmugMug member. Granted, the latter requires that the have a paid SmugMug account, so I would much rather something like the former. Just something as simple as an basic guest account that gives no functionality other than to be able to view galleries that are normally not visible.
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Wish List for Upload Log and Email Uploads
    Now that I have started occasional email uploads and allowed my wife to do so also, I have a couple of enhancement requests for the Smugmug team.
    1. Please consider adding a "confirmation email" sent to the account email confirming that the email photos have been received. As it is now, I am not always aware that she or others have emailed photos to my Email gallery. An email in my inbox telling me that new email photos have been received would be great.
    2. Please add sender email address column to control panel "upload log". As of now, there is no quick way to determine which uploads were emailed (only by clicking on item to see if it comes up in Email gallery) or which were uploaded via computer. Seeing this email address would immediately tell me what and from whom.
    Are these items something the Smugmug team can address? Regards.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    Now that I have started occasional email uploads and allowed my wife to do so also, I have a couple of enhancement requests for the Smugmug team.
    1. Please consider adding a "confirmation email" sent to the account email confirming that the email photos have been received. As it is now, I am not always aware that she or others have emailed photos to my Email gallery. An email in my inbox telling me that new email photos have been received would be great.
    2. Please add sender email address column to control panel "upload log". As of now, there is no quick way to determine which uploads were emailed (only by clicking on item to see if it comes up in Email gallery) or which were uploaded via computer. Seeing this email address would immediately tell me what and from whom.
    Are these items something the Smugmug team can address? Regards.
    Thanks for the feature requests, I'll make sure the team sees them! :D
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the feature requests, I'll make sure the team sees them! :D
    Thanks, Andy. I'll look forward to hearing further on it. I resisted trying to use the email upload option until recently. Works great but I thought adding the two features would really help. Regards.
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    bfrankbfrank Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2008
    Public Photos
    Thando wrote:
    Got an idea? Give it to us here. All of the SmugMug crew read this thread so feel free to share your ideas. Go ahead, give us the requests.

Summary of FRs implemented from the prior thread:
    * automatic resize of too-large and too-many mb files
    * holiday cards!
    * RSS Feeds for unlisted galleries, for logged in users
    * Don't count owner hits in stats
    * Give owners easy way to download files (Owner Save)
    * Give an easy way to see Visitor View
    * Store Raw, DNG and other non-jpg files
    * Paypal (alright, it's a lame option, but it's there)
    * Give Pros the name & address of buyers
    * Improve news to customers
    * Outage notifications (http://smugmug.wordpress.com)
    * Captions in slideshow
    * Detect if flash needed for slideshow
    * Square thumbs
    * Flash Slideshow
    * Lower prices (we did, on 5x7s, 8x10s, 8x12s)
    * Speed up the shopping cart
    * Power Accounts get Custom Domain Names
    * Power Accounts get Right Click Protection
    * Make the photo tools easier to use
    * Make SmuggLr work with Phanfare & PicasaWeb
    * Allow individual photos to be hidden
    * Let power and pros decide about stretchy variables
    * Increase the video limits (Pros can go to 10 mins)
    * Improved video quality

Summary of "hot requests" (NOT implemented yet!

Virtual Galleies
    Backup Customizing!
    Customizing widgets
    more levels of categories
    Coupons packagages
    Pro 'lightbox' or 'favorites'
    Better organizing!
    Self Fulfilmnet
    More Pro Lab Options
    Metallic Prints
    Improve Bulk Setttings in many ways
    PWD protect a category
    EXIF in display copies
    Better control over true/auto
    Improve the Search- vastly improve it!

Prior Threads here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=79593
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=71342
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=57396
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47572
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40139
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29858
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23482
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=1349

When this thread is closed, you can be sure that all of the feature requests have been shared with everyone at SmugMug.

I am looking for a feature that allows only certain photos in my albums to be made public. I do not want the all the photos to be public- only few from each album.Any help for that?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    bfrank wrote:
    I am looking for a feature that allows only certain photos in my albums to be made public. I do not want the all the photos to be public- only few from each album.Any help for that?

Do you know about the Hide Photo capability? I can't tell if it meets your needs or not, but it allows you to designate some photos in your gallery that are in the gallery, but are only viewable by you. See here for more info.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Do you know about the Hide Photo capability? I can't tell if it meets your needs or not, but it allows you to designate some photos in your gallery that are in the gallery, but are only viewable by you. See here for more info.
    The HIDE option is a fine and much needed feature. The main issue I see is that the HIDE check box is displayed indiscreetly by the TOOLS for each photo. It doesn't catch my eye. It would be very nice if there was some sort of "flag" displayed on thumbnails to show "hidden" photos at a glance so Owner doesn't have to look at each photo in a gallery to see what was hidden. Just my thoughts on this issue....
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 21, 2008

Have a look at thread. Though it doesn't give you the lens used, it does give you the focal length as described in the EXIF info.

Is that something you could use?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    I would like to be able to disable cropping on checkout.

When a person orders a print it goes as big as the paper size they have chosen allows and has white borders on the other two sides.

I understand Proof Delay, but this has the problem of my "fixing" a crop chosen by a customer, and then their not receiving in the mail what they ordered.
  • Options
    WingrWingr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2008
    Watermarks based on image size
    Hi,

I've seen this asked in several ways but I haven't been able to find an answer. I would like to have watermarks show up on the larger size images, not on the regular album size image. Can this be a feature?

Thanks!
    Chris
  • Options
    videooppvideoopp Registered Users Posts: 103 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Licenses for Digital Downloads
    Would it be possible to make the wording of the Commercial licensing be custimizable? Most all of the images that I am selling for stock do not have model releases and should be used for editorial purposes only. If you cannot set this up, could you please provide a Editorial license option for us to choose? Thanks

Frank
    Frank Spangler
    Business: www.panopro.com
    Stock Images: www.worldviewimages.com (Smugmug Site)
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/videoopp
    Blog: www.untotheleast.com
This discussion has been closed.