Options

Shooting motocross 2009 style.

Comments

• Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    good point, I should have checked it. I was chatting with the owner of #15 as the day was over. Thats my black Saturn. Just making small talk as we were parked next to each other. He hadn't raced in 2 years, I didn't recognize him from last year.

Seems he broke 5 vertabrae at work and had to sit a few seasons out. eek7.gif

The light was just too good to not take the shot. I should have shifted a little and lost the porta can and pick up truck and car.

523709989_YGjcN-X2.jpg
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    You seriously are asking that? Come on..if you don't know that that photo is just plain old bad... geeez.

I'll put it another way... say you were asked to provide your very best photo for the day and it would hang on a wall the motocross hall of fame....that's the one you would of picked out from that day of 900 shots?

Sorry to be so harsh... but I'd hate to see the other 899 if that was so.

amadeus wrote:
    so would you have deleted it? Its one of my favorite of the 900 I took Sunday.

521703697_k6sxa-X3.jpg
  • Options
    SwedeSwede Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Just a few from an event close to the house. Nothing too special.

505456398_gvHRY-L-2.jpg
    496487285_dc4r9-L.jpg
    505754836_3KHnA-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2009
    j-bo wrote:
    I'll put it another way... say you were asked to provide your very best photo for the day and it would hang on a wall the motocross hall of fame....that's the one you would of picked out from that day of 900 shots?

I never said it was the best. I said it was my favorite. Have you ever done anything like that on a bike, or is that run of the mill for the kind of riding you do.

which is it, or should I answer my own question like you do yours.
  • Options
    tdinardotdinardo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    I think you're being a little too sensitive. j-bo's comments are on the mark. The shot is OOF, the background is bad, the exposure is off, the post processing is not good...it's just not a good picture. I personally would have culled that one in camera.

Your response leads me to believe that you've not actually looked at j-bo's work. You might want to do that....

If you're going to post a shot like this as "your favorite" you might want to proactively explain why you like it in the future. Posting something like this shot without the back story on why you find the shot interesting and compelling, and then expecting a lovefest, is a little odd.

Complaining about the feedback you receive, particularly when it's spot on, is a good way to reduce the number of folks who will give you feedback. I'd be careful about that.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2009
    tdinardo wrote:
    If you're going to post a shot like this as "your favorite" you might want to proactively explain why you like it in the future. Posting something like this shot without the back story on why you find the shot interesting and compelling, and then expecting a lovefest, is a little odd.

who's being sensitive?

I didn't post the shot as my favorite, I simply posted it.

I did later state it was one of my favorites, and I did then proactively explain why.

the only person who's opinion really matters is #282 as far as I'm concerned. if someone wants to take the time to point out to me that its out of focus, well thanks but I already knew that. rolleyes1.gif

there is more to sports photography than perfect focus. the OOF shot of 282 on that particular jump is the only one that exists, so deleting it can always be done at a later date right? deal.gif

515358504_pFoBy-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    Great shot of a Pursang!!!!

Btw, not dogging you, just trying to help. mwink.gif

I'm partial to Husky's, but anything vintage is ok in my book.

I wonder if the guy who took thiis should have tossed it, the blue smoke kind of ruins it. :D

500707583_VnhvB-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2009
    What does my riding have to do with anything?

You posted a photo... someone asked why you would post that photo and instead of explaining yourself, you come back with a smart ass question of your own. I felt like answering that.

Take whatever road you want, but you ASKED and too bad if you didn't like the answer.

You post photos on a photo site, be prepared to take critique.

Sure.. I could have sugar coated things ( I hate when people post that non-sense and are afraid to tell someone the truth about a photo), but I seriously didn't think that YOU were asking a serious question.

But you are right, there is more to sports photography than perfect focus, but that photo wasn't even close.

Oh.. I just re-read..sports mode explains a little.

Happy shootin!
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2009
    j-bo wrote:
    You post photos on a photo site, be prepared to take critique.

I wouldn't have posted an out of focus shot if I wasn't. 10944573-Ti.gif
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Here's a few from this year's first race;

499032582_JFCPL-O-1.jpg

499032490_nuauB-O.jpg

499032484_FJBgB-O.jpg

I shoot mostly panning shots, except for the start shots;

499032592_67mDY-O.jpg

I also used the SB600 for fill flash on the panning shots.

Next races wil be next Sunday. Thinking about mixing it up a little, instead of shooting mostly panning. I'll have to wait and see what the clouds do, as far as the lighting conditions, and how that relates to my shooting locations. mwink.gif

As far as vintage, here's a couple from back, when they were 'new';

mm2.jpg

Marty Moates. RIP.

That shot is one of my Top 5 favorite MX shots. :D

lackey.jpg
    Brad Lackey.
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Here's a few of my fav's
    Here a couple i have taken so far this year,going to a race tomorrow at
    the same track.

3416679514_8f56f25e95_o.jpg

3415869509_a98144593d_o.jpg
    Kyle Keast

3419046438_76c765574a_o.jpg
    Kyle Keast
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    airbrushjohnairbrushjohn Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2009
    here are a few of mine

IMG_0651a.jpg

IMG_0506a.jpg

IMG_1574a.jpg

crop1-10.jpg
  • Options
    NwestrnrNwestrnr Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Cool thread guys! Posting dirt moto is like taboo in most forums:cry I might add to this one thumb.gif
  • Options
    NwestrnrNwestrnr Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    From this spring just having fun in the Idaho desert

514002249_sHmDw-M.jpg

A little HDR on these BTW mwink.gif

506012616_jxkxo-M.jpg

And one more from the local track in Boise

522507494_6rqzy-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    Here's a few from this year's first race;

499032582_JFCPL-O-1.jpg

499032490_nuauB-O.jpg

499032484_FJBgB-O.jpg

I shoot mostly panning shots, except for the start shots;

499032592_67mDY-O.jpg

I also used the SB600 for fill flash on the panning shots.

Next races wil be next Sunday. Thinking about mixing it up a little, instead of shooting mostly panning. I'll have to wait and see what the clouds do, as far as the lighting conditions, and how that relates to my shooting locations. mwink.gif

As far as vintage, here's a couple from back, when they were 'new';

mm2.jpg

Marty Moates. RIP.

That shot is one of my Top 5 favorite MX shots. :D

lackey.jpg
    Brad Lackey.

great shot of Moates and the big LOP Yamaha. Did you take it and the one of Lackey?

I used your note about fill flash and got off my ass and read the directions for my Nikon and for better or worse went out today under overcast skies and let her go. I'd been wanting to try to start using the flash. Just the onboard flash not a add on. Got some good shots and some not so good but it beats staying home and doing laundry. I was also playing with S priority mode and got some good results, though I had it confused and for a time was shooting A mode when I thought I was shooting S and still got some keepers. Shot sall day with the 18-55 lens.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    great shot of Moates and the big LOP Yamaha. Did you take it and the one of Lackey?

I used your note about fill flash and got off my ass and read the directions for my Nikon and for better or worse went out today under overcast skies and let her go. I'd been wanting to try to start using the flash. Just the onboard flash not a add on. Got some good shots and some not so good but it beats staying home and doing laundry. I was also playing with S priority mode and got some good results, though I had it confused and for a time was shooting A mode when I thought I was shooting S and still got some keepers. Shot sall day with the 18-55 lens.

527599736_ENfGQ-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    527619575_BxGaW-X2.jpg
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    ok... i'm new here and i'm jumping in with all you big dogs ;)

I happen to be at the track with my camera and this kid started hammin it up for me, gave me some good shots.

Gimmie your critique:

DSC_3026.jpg
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    It looks like a caste over the entire shot, you think it might be glare?. It seems to take a lot of saturation away from the colors.

Secondly, did you sell the shot to the kids parents?.. :D
    Rags
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Cmrc/Gopher Dunes May 3 2009
    Here's a few I shot yesterday.

528279709_b5U3Y-L-1.jpg

528281931_5GqJE-L-1.jpg

528280760_KFUeC-L-1.jpg

528279458_m2vnL-L-1.jpg

528279542_AYQ9U-L-1.jpg
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    #2 is great... unspoiled.. #5 needs to a little crop.

good cam technique but jeeze some of the backgrounds ruin the shot. That said, if the client likes it, it's perfect... rolleyes1.gif

Rags
    Rags
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    torags wrote:
    It looks like a caste over the entire shot, you think it might be glare?. It seems to take a lot of saturation away from the colors.

Secondly, did you sell the shot to the kids parents?.. :D

Could be, i don't have a lens hood yet. My telephoto lens hasn't arrived so i shot this standing about 15 ft away. Dell has disappointed me yet again with their shipping procrastination so i'm canceling the order and getting it somewhere else.

I ended up giving him the photos because right now i'm just getting in everyone's good graces at the track and building a portfolio. Part of the reason i'm on smug now... selling some work would be nice!
  • Options
    tdinardotdinardo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    I ended up giving him the photos because right now i'm just getting in everyone's good graces at the track and building a portfolio. Part of the reason i'm on smug now... selling some work would be nice!

With all due respect, once you set the expectation that you work for free, it will be very difficult to get anyone to pay you, no matter how good your work may become. Further, it sets the expectation in the purchasers mind that photography has very little value. Building a portfolio should not involve giving away your work. If you're getting signed model releases for stock usage in exchange for a copy, that's a different matter. You may want to rethink that strategy....
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    tdinardo wrote:
    With all due respect, once you set the expectation that you work for free, it will be very difficult to get anyone to pay you, no matter how good your work may become. Further, it sets the expectation in the purchasers mind that photography has very little value. Building a portfolio should not involve giving away your work. If you're getting signed model releases for stock usage in exchange for a copy, that's a different matter. You may want to rethink that strategy....

I completely undestand that logic. For this particular kid it was more cross promotional since i gave him watermarked images and he put them on the sponsorship page so i get my name out there. :/

trying to attract more bees with honey strategy to get people to see/hear my name.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    I completely undestand that logic. For this particular kid it was more cross promotional since i gave him watermarked images and he put them on the sponsorship page so i get my name out there. :/

trying to attract more bees with honey strategy to get people to see/hear my name.

But your logic is flawed. Sorry. Although the photo is okay, is it one you want people to think is your best stuff?

The better strategy is to get some good shots, PP them to even get them better, then place your mark on them so people go "wow, that dude takes some great shots". As it is with that photo, if I were to see it, I'd say.. eh, not so great.

Don't be so naive to think that a watermarked image will drive people to your website either, just doesn't really happen.

I can hear it now, that j-bo is a butthead..

But really... I'm just trying to give you some good advice to help you get the ball rollin and to others, critique is just that, I'm just a bit harsher than most. I don't get the reason to sugar coat things.

The biggest issue I'm seeing in a lot of these posted photos are focus issues. Some have color problems and some have contrast issues.

If you're shooting in sports mode, mx is very difficult to shoot that way, get off it! Try aperture priority or manual. Panning? Shoot in manual or shutter priority. And REALLY get off of manual focus!

Don't get so involved with slow shutter speed to "show motion". Yes, it's good to show US, but most riders/parents just don't go for those shots. Dunno why, but that's what I get from my experience. It could be because most aren't very good at that and the photos probably look OOF to them is my guess. They'd rather have frozen like they see in most magazines.
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    amadeus wrote:

Yes, I took those two. FWIW, the pop-up flash really isn't strong enough to make much difference. Also, since you using non IF lenses, you really need to get some rain/dust protection.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    squiddy wrote:

do it your way and if it doesn't work, who cares. if you're out there for money I think you're out there for the worng reason anyway. there is nothing wrong with selling and I had some decent sales last year but for me the reconnection with the sport has been priceless. I chatted with a 15 year old yesterday for 15 minutes about his 2006 KX 85. That was HIS bike and at 15 that means a lot. The shots I got of him were'nt great but I'll be damned if I'm going to pitch them. I throw a LOT of free shots up on the local tracks websites and more and more kids come up to me and bs. if it pays off in the end, great. last year all my sales went to a local rider who caught some big air on a jump and came down into the raised bucket of a front end loader.

it wasn't pretty. lost his leg, a lot of teeth and a lof of blood and damn near his life. 10 months later he's riding.

10. months. lost his leg above the knee.

motocross is the most sacred thing man ever created. enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    j-bo wrote:
    If you're shooting in sports mode, mx is very difficult to shoot that way, get off it! Try aperture priority or manual. Panning? Shoot in manual or shutter priority. And REALLY get off of manual focus!

Don't get so involved with slow shutter speed to "show motion". Yes, it's good to show US, but most riders/parents just don't go for those shots. Dunno why, but that's what I get from my experience. It could be because most aren't very good at that and the photos probably look OOF to them is my guess. They'd rather have frozen like they see in most magazines.

I don't follow what you're saying. sports mode seems to throw the highest shutter it can based on available light. doesn't aperture priority allow you to chose aperture, and in turn on overcast days wouldn't it pick a slow shutter?

if most riders/parents want the "frozen" shots why not let sports mode chose? I'm trying understand what you're saying.
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Ouch!! Rough crowd! Haha, J-Bo, I leave to shoot the Vegas SX tomorrow! I am so freakin pumped. Yesterday, I asked for credentials to Freestone. It's going to be up to Tony Miller on how many photogs he'll let Holeshot have. I think there's a good chance that he'll take care of us. Now, we've just got to get you some credentials. Maybe you can work your magic like you did in Nola. That was funny as hell. It will sure be nice not to have to deal with the opening ceremonies ruining the first moto at freestone like it did in Nola. Hey, did you ever see my thread in the journeys section from my visit? I figured not because you didn't post to it. Anyway, here it is: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124670

Thanks so much for your advise on where to go on that Friday after the press conference. BTW, we freakin love Cafe De Monde and their Bignet's. We even bought a few pack to make at home. I made some one night and they were good but they didn't puff up like they do there. Nola is now one of our favorites cities. So many people told us about how bad it was, but we loved it and will definately be back.

I have tickets to Freestone this year and this is one from last year. I will be getting there at the start and have to leave after the finish but would say hello if our paths cross.

311548528_jV47c-M-1.jpg
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    I appreciate the comments.

I don't think anyone is a butthead! :D.... yet lol.

I just operate differently than some I guess. I'm not out to make a million right now I'm practicing, building a site/portfolio and having fun. If i can make any money i'll be happy. I have a career but this is a big hobby of mine and i want to get better. So advice/critique is good for me.

This was also a practice day at the track and there were a total of 4 people... not much material :/ There are some racing coming up and the owner of the track said to come on out and be careful. I can hand out business cards and people can find their number.

How did ya'll get your names/businesses out there?

Here's another. It's one of my first motox shoots back in 06
    go to town j-bo :)

33.jpg