Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #29: They're Playing Our Song (Exclusive Monthlong Challenge)

Comments

• Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    sepplett wrote:
    Hello Everyone!

I am fairly new here, have never entered a challenge, but often thought of doing so. I think I will this time around, is that okay? I am actually working a spread, based on a song I LOVE!! And this would be a perfect chance to jump in a get a good education. Do the pictures have to be in color or b&W or will anything go as long as it represents a song title?

Are there any other rules a newbie should know?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the DG Stephanie..wave.gif I look forward to seeing your work..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Oh, and it looks like I had my discography incorrect. Their first album was release two years after I was born, not before. Whoops.

Ok I feel old now, I was in high school when Llywellyn was born.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Just looked to find out if one of my fave artists is coming in July this year, nope Aug 9th. He stops by and plays in our township gazebo for about 20-30 of us every summer. One of his song titles is perfect, he's just a Skinny Little Boy From Cleveland Ohio come to drink your women and chase your beer. (youtube clip)
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Judt did a little more digging, he be passing by in a week, maybe I'll get something of him after all. He always sings an anniversary song for my wife and I, she's out of town, boy will she be upset.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    (tap tap tap) Hey is this thing on?
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    achambers wrote:
    (tap tap tap) Hey is this thing on?

lonely out there isn't it? This place has been a ghost town for a couple of days.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    lonely out there isn't it? This place has been a ghost town for a couple of days.

:lol4
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    SO,,, What is a mudtographer?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    SO,,, What is a mudtographer?headscratch.gif
    takes pictures of mud?

ok, I give up achambers, what is a mudtographer?
    (inquiring minds want to know.)
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Well, at least we know Donna is alive and kicking....mwink.gif

how is your song shoot going Donna? Any ideas yet?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Well, at least we know Donna is alive and kicking....mwink.gif

how is your song shoot going Donna? Any ideas yet?
    too many ideas, a couple of pictures, none good enough for what I want. I been busy with fireworks (last night) and the wildlife refuge (today).
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    so how did the wild refuge go? any good shots? any new ones for the local gallery there?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    so how did the wild refuge go? any good shots? any new ones for the local gallery there?
    http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/gallery/7564198_UMU2o/1/582938002_cAb8w
    these were the better ones. love my dragonflies, Laughing.gif
    It was a cloudy rainy day. Not too bad for my camera. It doesn't do as well on dark days.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Awesome.. Will go check them out..:D

As for me.. I have been busy catching up post processing on shoots gone by.. I have let them stack up on me..trying to get caught up...portraiture is not my strong point, still learning, and the processing on the skin tones is giving me a tough time..
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/gallery/7564198_UMU2o/1/582938002_cAb8w
    these were the better ones. love my dragonflies, Laughing.gif
    It was a cloudy rainy day. Not too bad for my camera. It doesn't do as well on dark days.

Nice captures Donna.. I really like the Snowy Egret with all of that green around him..:D

well,, things sure are slow around here.. I guess I better get back to work on the post process.. I needed a break.. I have been going at it all day long.........eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    takes pictures of mud?

ok, I give up achambers, what is a mudtographer?
    (inquiring minds want to know.)

I am the photog for a local truck night, which entails standing in 6+ inches of sticky clay mud. In past seasons this has been the biggest revenue generator for me, guys that spend thousands (in some cases tens of thousands) of dollars on their trucks are willing to pop a few bucks for a picture. Unfortunately we're down rebuilding this season, so the cash cow is in a coma.

This truck belongs to a friend, everyone jokes that he travels with his own personal photographer. If you have 20 grand laying around and have a need for a 600 hp S10 with 22 inches of lift he might be convinced to part with it. (In this picture he has the small tires on it.)

301396721_ukrJg-M.jpg
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Nice captures Donna.. I really like the Snowy Egret with all of that green around him..:D

well,, things sure are slow around here.. I guess I better get back to work on the post process.. I needed a break.. I have been going at it all day long.........eek7.gif
    yea, I've been feeling blah for a few days. I think I am going to go on to bed and try to get a good nights sleep. Maybe that will help some.
    Have fun with your PP. Can't wait to see what you have going this time.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    achambers wrote:
    I am the photog for a local truck night, which entails standing in 6+ inches of sticky clay mud. In past seasons this has been the biggest revenue generator for me, guys that spend thousands (in some cases tens of thousands) of dollars on their trucks are willing to pop a few bucks for a picture. Unfortunately we're down rebuilding this season, so the cash cow is in a coma.

This truck belongs to a friend, everyone jokes that he travels with his own personal photographer. If you have 20 grand laying around and have a need for a 600 hp S10 with 22 inches of lift he might be convinced to part with it. (In this picture he has the small tires on it.)

ohh.. I see now... You literally do mean mud..:D

Man that must be hectic on your equipment..headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Hmmm, might have to get my friend to tear up his yard. I could do Brad Paisley - Mud On The Tires.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    ohh.. I see now... You literally do mean mud..:D

Man that must be hectic on your equipment..headscratch.gif

I've come home and cleaned mud out of places in my camera that users were never meant to see.:D
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    yea, I've been feeling blah for a few days. I think I am going to go on to bed and try to get a good nights sleep. Maybe that will help some.
    Have fun with your PP. Can't wait to see what you have going this time.

Thanks Donna.. I am kind of sweating this one..Well I suppose that is a good thing as I do best under pressure.. I am looking forward to seeing what you pull out of your hat as well... perhaps that Choctaw country song.. ha ha ha.rolleyes1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwPrcuo_cUE

blbl.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    achambers wrote:

301396721_ukrJg-M.jpg
    :) I thought that was probably it! Nice shot. That is a nice way to make some money.
    I just sold some from the rodeo I was at a couple of weeks ago. The princess' grandmother wanted pictures. I was just shooting that for myself so it was nice to sell some. She bought about 9 prints. :) not much but it felt good.
    well, as I told Kat, I gotta get off here and get some sleep. Have a good night!
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    achambers wrote:
    I've come home and cleaned mud out of places in my camera that users were never meant to see.:D

I thought that might be the case... your brave..

Love Brad Paisley and I am not even a country fan.. but I own that CD..thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Thanks Donna.. I am kind of sweating this one..Well I suppose that is a good thing as I do best under pressure.. I am looking forward to seeing what you pull out of your hat as well... perhaps that Choctaw country song.. ha ha ha.rolleyes1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwPrcuo_cUE

blbl.gif
    hmmmm.... hadn't thought of that one.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    I thought that might be the case... your brave..

Love Brad Paisley and I am not even a country fan.. but I own that CD..thumb.gif

I've taken a few shots myself too, this one hurt.

583118058_VVxaK-S.jpg
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    achambers wrote:
    I've taken a few shots myself too, this one hurt.

583118058_VVxaK-S.jpg

ewwww.. well... I imagine there is a real niche market in this..thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Well.. I think Paisley's mud on the tires is right up your alley then... thumb.gif

Would be an interesting shot too see, especially if you can pull off the whole bright white outfit..:D
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    ewwww.. well... I imagine there is a real niche market in this..thumb.gif

We have two competing truck nights located about 5 miles apart, on a good night they draw over 700 trucks between them. It's a big niche. My friend sold his big truck this spring, the red one used to be the "small truck".
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Well.. I think Paisley's mud on the tires is right up your alley then... thumb.gif

Would be an interesting shot too see, especially if you can pull off the whole bright white outfit..:D

Unfortunately we don't go to the competing truck night. The people there are less controlled, it's hard to place an investment like this somewhere where someone might get out of control and total it. I'm not sure if any of the other bogs that we travel to are running in July.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    wow,, that is a lot of trucks.. Heck,, I would just shoot the entire show and then post it all on the smugmug account and let everyone log on and buy prints of their own truck.. lucrative for sure.. Men love their toys...thumb.gif

I still don't see how you keep the lens clean.headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif