Options

RIP Whipping Post

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Tony, we don't do this. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt!

Nobody is any kind of control freak. You're dumping on the very volunteers that run this joint, they aren't paid, and yet they show up, day after day, in the face of some really nasty stuff.

We love criticism, and we can stand it - all of us - but give it in a positive, courteous and civil manner. Thanks.

Andy, unless you read every PM sent out by YOUR mods you have no idea what is sent out.....You can pray and hope that there is not any snippiness going on but you cannot say with total certainty there isn't.......

There is usually 2 reasons people volunteer for whatever.....1 is to truly be helpful to the organization they are volunteering for.....

2- is because they have a need to be in control....power freaks, control freaks all the same.......show a little interest in something.....be friend some one on the board of directors and ask for a volunteer postion but not just any position...a position of power..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Andy, unless you read every PM sent out by YOUR mods you have no idea what is sent out.....You can pray and hope that there is not any snippiness going on but you cannot say with total certainty there isn't.......

There is usually 2 reasons people volunteer for whatever.....1 is to truly be helpful to the organization they are volunteering for.....

2- is because they have a need to be in control....power freaks, control freaks all the same.......show a little interest in something.....be friend some one on the board of directors and ask for a volunteer postion but not just any position...a position of power..............

Our PM thread:
    DavidTO wrote:
    Art, I'm very sorry but for housekeeping reasons I had to delete your post. Your comments are really important to us, and I would appreciate it if you would repost them for me. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. Really.

You can post it here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1163270#post1163270

Here's what you wrote the first time around:
    Art Scott wrote:
    FoR house keeping reasons?? Yu need to explain yourself...........
    DavidTO wrote:
    The first poster in a thread is the author of that thread. When I moved yours and mchswiss's posts the discussion thread was no longer by me, and since it's an official air your grievances thread, it had to be from me, not someone else. I can't change the posting date/time, so this was the only way around it. Again, sorry for the inconvenience, and I'm certainly not trying to quash your comments, I just needed to make sure it was clear that the dgrin moderators were soliciting input, not another user.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    And I am the person who has received your PMs. You set the tone.

My tone:

July 2, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Tony,

Please take a look at the Whipping Post rules. The WP is for your best work. I've deleted your post. Please re-post something that you consider to be among your best. thumb.gif

--Dave

July 13, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Tony,

Please take a look at the Whipping Post rules. The WP is for your best work. I've deleted your post. Please re-post something that you consider to be among your best. thumb.gif

--Dave
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Tony, we don't do this. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt!

Nobody is any kind of control freak. You're dumping on the very volunteers that run this joint, they aren't paid, and yet they show up, day after day, in the face of some really nasty stuff.

We love criticism, and we can stand it - all of us - but give it in a positive, courteous and civil manner. Thanks.

My "feelings" were not hurt. I was simply irritated both times when submitted photos were rejected - deleted, not moved - because I indicated in the text that I wanted suggestions for improvement. That's excessive control in a forum where critique is sought in order to improve our photos.

The accompanying PMs were, in my opinion, greatly lacking in tact, warmth, charm, or helpfulness. One could almost feel "dumped on" by the tone. (Howzat for a "civil" critique?)
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    My "feelings" were not hurt. I was simply irritated both times when submitted photos were rejected - deleted, not moved -

From the WP rules:
    Take Note: This forum is moderated, which means that all critique posts are approved by the moderators before they become public. Make sure your posts follow the rules above, and they'll be approved. Moderators will not edit your posts to comply with the rules. They will either be approved or rejected. If you have any questions, contact one of the moderators of the forum.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    The accompanying PMs were, in my opinion, greatly lacking in tact, warmth, charm, or helpfulness. One could almost feel "dumped on" by the tone. (Howzat for a "civil" critique?)
    Thanks! Maybe you missed the thumb.gif Smilie that David used, and the two times he said please. I'm very sorry that this behavior met with the reaction you had. It's your reaction, you're entitled to it.

Moving On!
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Since the WP IS closed, might I suggest that the mods look at the open threads left there and decide which subforum they might be moved to. Perhaps they can continue to get some c&c over in those, perhaps even from folks who haven't been traveling to the WP.
    (Maybe you did this already, I just couldn't tell....)
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    My tone:

July 2, 2009

Please take a look at the Whipping Post rules. The WP is for your best work. I've deleted your post. Please re-post something that you consider to be among your best.

July 13, 2009

This horse is well dead, but that message strongly implies that the photograph is substandard and not of sufficient quality for the Whipping Post. However, a text comment seeking comments for improvement caused the rejection.

The fact that the above macro reply is so obviously devoid of tact or civility, but that the Mod does not see it in this way, tells much.

This is one of the images involved. Is it substandard and not worthy of the WP? I have doubts about the balance of the composition (something wrong about it I can't figure out) , but I think it qualified for the WP where advice might have been available.

523634317_FmaUo-M.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Just wanted to pop in and mention how thankful I am for DGrin and the folks who keep things running smoothly. I've been a forum mod before and it's impossible to keep everyone happy and it's impossible to do things in a way that pleases everyone all the time.

I'm glad to be in a place where we can critique people's actions or decisions without imputing motives or attacking their character.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    This horse is well dead, but that message strongly implies that the photograph is substandard and not of sufficient quality for the Whipping Post. However, a text comment seeking comments for improvement caused the rejection.

The fact that the above macro reply is so obviously devoid of tact or civility, but that the Mod does not see it in this way, tells much.

This is one of the images involved. Is it substandard and not worthy of the WP? I have doubts about the balance of the composition (something wrong about it I can't figure out) , but I think it qualified for the WP where advice might have been available.

523634317_FmaUo-M.jpg

I would have critiqued this knowing full well that it could take several hours to several days for you to see my critique.....I probably would have asked you what you thought was wrong in the first place....just to get an idea of what you saw and if you could see it from a perspective other than as your own photo.........
    Want it critiqued.....sent it to me as a PM.....gladly do it for you.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    or.... goto a forum.

wait..... na, lets just raise hell and attack David...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Hey Tony, there is a dude in Landscapes who offers free critiques. I don't know if it's worth anything, but you can't beat the price...:-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    Art and Tony,

You've both made your point several times. As Andy said, it's time to move on.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Just wanted to pop in and mention how thankful I am for DGrin and the folks who keep things running smoothly. I've been a forum mod before and it's impossible to keep everyone happy and it's impossible to do things in a way that pleases everyone all the time.

I'm glad to be in a place where we can critique people's actions or decisions without imputing motives or attacking their character.

Thanks for the comment, Pupator!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    Since the WP IS closed, might I suggest that the mods look at the open threads left there and decide which subforum they might be moved to. Perhaps they can continue to get some c&c over in those, perhaps even from folks who haven't been traveling to the WP.
    (Maybe you did this already, I just couldn't tell....)

We'd happily move any at user request, but otherwise we're just going to leave them.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Art and Tony,

You've both made your point several times. As Andy said, it's time to move on.

You do have a prob don't you???!!!!

Tony posted one of the photos you denied a critique to and all I did was offer a private one.......I could have sat here for a couple hours and posted the critique here but I did not....the offer was not about nor did it have any thing to do with you.......but you have to come in and try and make it about you don't you.....DUD YOU ARE NEED OF SOME SERIOUS COUNSELING......

• Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    You do have a prob don't you???!!!!

Tony posted one of the photos you denied a critique to and all I did was offer a private one.......I could have sat here for a couple hours and posted the critique here but I did not....the offer was not about nor did it have any thing to do with you.......but you have to come in and try and make it about you don't you.....DUD YOU ARE NEED OF SOME SERIOUS COUNSELING......

No, Art, you didn't just offer a critique. Sorry, but this cannot continue.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    WIP Demise
    Not to get in the middle of the "art vs mods" discussion - but about WP going to the digital bit-bucket, I have some mixed feelings.

I personally learned a huge amount from critiquing pics up there, and how to extract really good pictures / images from so-so shots, or make good pics better. This has helped to inform my own shooting, with a corresponding improvement of the result.

In addition, the WP was the one place where people could get exposed to a number of different aspects of photography, from macro to people to animals to landscapes and lots of in between, where one could have a good and reasoned discussion about what made a picture good or bad and some of the seemingly contradictory trade-offs that one has to consider in such things. I think this "one stop shopping" format also facilitated the cross-fertilization of ideas across the different photographic disciplines.

Requiring critiques that used to go on WP to be done in the individual forums makes that extremely difficult if not impossible.

My issue with the WP - and what I thought moderation was supposed to solve - was the amount of absolute crap that got posted there, including pics from cell phones of all things! Or just as bad, time and again low-post-count people put something on the WP as their first post, and then never respond to critiques, etc.

IMO, that the "WP is moderated" change was "done in order to make moderation more obvious" without filtering out the chum from the good stuff (or in one case, an initial post w/no pic in it!) was a policy and administrative mistake of the first order.

I also agree with the prior comments that delays caused by moderation approval in it's later form eliminated the informal give-and-take of the forum, and contributed to a reduction in my participation.

So - does the WP diminish the other forums? I don't think so - I know I'm not going to lurk in all these specialized sub-forums looking for pics to critique - I don't have the interest or the time to do so.

What should be the ultimate solution? I'm not sure. But IMO completely eliminating the WP is a step in the wrong direction. Another solution needs to be found.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    What should be the ultimate solution? I'm not sure. But IMO completely eliminating the WP is a step in the wrong direction. Another solution needs to be found.

Thanks. Great feedback!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Hmmmm.... Well, I dropped by the whipping post to look it over because greensquared suggested a few weeks back over in challenges utilizing it for posting our challenge entries for some extra tough critiques and find it closed.

I have to say, after reading this entire thread, I agree with Art and Hoofclix. I understand changes are inevitable, but if something is not broke why fix it?

I will say that I have been through the other forums and even when someone asks for a critique, people seem real sensitive when they get them. Whereas in the Whipping Post, the poster was prepared for a strong and critical critique.

I think that it served a strong purpose here on Dgrin and as someone else mentioned it was unique compared to other photo sites...

Now... as far as the Grad School, I looked it over and at first I was kind of excited, but then after a few weeks I was right back to googling targeted walk throughs and tuts for my specific needs.

I think the WP was a more competitive choice and deserves the slot. The majority of people out there go to the NET for tutorials, and if you have seen these sites on the net they blow Grad school out of the water because digital photo and graphic tutorials and walk throughs are their "main focus" and there are a ton of them out there. Once your on one of those sites, you will find links to thousands of other tutorials and walk throughs too. Then there are the Scott Kelby's and others and their blogs and tutorial sites too....eek7.gif.. Dime a dozen...

Whereas the Whipping Post was RARE indeed..!!!thumb.gif

I have grown to love dgrin and smugmug both and always appreciate the MODS and have found them to be kind. I do agree that censoring critiques is a bad idea and will only chase away the people who give honest critiquing. I think it is more prudent to cancel the account of a person who is causing problems or breaking rules.

I really wish you would at least consider reinstating the WP...:cry as some of us where just gathering the guts to post on it..

Please Consider It...bowdown.gif

Kat
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Me wrote:
    Now, Marc has Landscapes covered a la Muench University. Howzabout doing the same for the other forums using other artists-in-residence? Nothing like being whipped by a pro whipper.
    We certainly do. B. D. has done a great job dishing out the dough in his Framing Exercise as well as leaving critiques for threads all around People, Weddings, and beyond.

We have more stuff up the pipeline too.
    We're going to replicate what Marc Muench has been doing, in Muench Univ - with B.D. Colen - and more AIRs. Dunno why anyone would complain about that
    That would be most awesome Andy et al.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    I'm very disappointed in the behavior of a very few towards our volunteer moderators. Sadly, we closed the WP, for what was felt to be valid reasons. We got some great feedback here and also some childish retorts and some poo poo thrown our way. That's fine, we all have thick skin - but for the good of Dgrin, we stick to our rules, and the rules say NO Personal Attacks. Period.

Civilized debate is welcome and all points of view are taken.

We'd love to hear from more of you, with any suggestions, comments you have.

Thanks.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    I'm sad to see the whipping post go. I dropped in there when I wanted to see some awesome work, and read the critiques to better my own photography. It really had a different vibe than the other sections.

I appreciate all the volunteer energy put into this site. I would probably have just thrown my hands up at some point and walked away!

Caroline
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Sadly, we closed the WP, for what was felt to be valid reasons.

FWIW, I for one am glad it's gone. Now, perhaps there will be more meaningful comments in the shot forums.

Would it be feasible to have some indication for those who want critic...like a little icon that one could see without even opening the post to see if the poster wants a critic.

I know in the wildlife forum that some great guys whose opinoin I would love to hear are nowhere to be found....maybe lack of substance is the reason they are gone.

Pats on the head are nice....but if you are serious about improving you need more than that.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    FWIW, I for one am glad it's gone. Now, perhaps there will be more meaningful comments in the shot forums.

Would it be feasible to have some indication for those who want critic...like a little icon that one could see without even opening the post to see if the poster wants a critic.

I know in the wildlife forum that some great guys whose opinoin I would love to hear are nowhere to be found....maybe lack of substance is the reason they are gone.

Pats on the head are nice....but if you are serious about improving you need more than that.

Plenty of people already put C&C or something similar in their posts. I think that could work?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009

I think that it served a strong purpose here on Dgrin and as someone else mentioned it was unique compared to other photo sites...

Whereas the Whipping Post was RARE indeed..!!!thumb.gif

............. I do agree that censoring critiques is a bad idea and will only chase away the people who give honest critiquing. I think it is more prudent to cancel the account of a person who is causing problems or breaking rules.

Thanks of the feedback, Kat. It's really helpful.

I wouldn't call it censoring when posts were deleted for not following the rules, it was just the way that the forum was set up. And there's only one reason for banning someone, and that is for personal attacks. Oh, and spammers. We delete them without mercy!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Civilized debate is welcome and all points of view are taken.

We'd love to hear from more of you, with any suggestions, comments you have.

One of the best things about Dgrin is the great support that is brought by those at Smugmug and through the moderators who genuinely try to help. While it is impossible that everyone will agree all of the time, at least a response is given 99% of the time (even though we may not like the response).

What set Dgrin apart from any other forum that I have been on is the variety of quality photographers and those knowledgable about the ins and outs who were willing to assist anyone who asked for it.

In the past few months, a few sections have had active members that have publicly stated that they will not offer advice because someone may use that knowledge to make a dollar for themselves or God forbid shoot for free after learning how. In other sections, active members have for all intents and purposes turned that section into a meeting place for them and their friends, rarely commenting on any other image placed in that section.

The one section that stood out was the WP. I will concede that many of the images were not exactly the cream of the crop, however some really put forth their best effort to create an image that they were proud of, and wanted it judged by members who are more experienced.

Having kept track of this particular thread it isn't hard to see that are some issues. However, it should also be clear that some truly want a place where they can post and be virtually guaranteed that some form of response will be given.

I know for a fact that anyone that contacts Smugmug would receive some form of response, shouldn't the same expectation be held with Dgrin? I do not expect that the staff of Smugmug or the moderaters be the only ones who should respond, and most members are more than willing if given a central location to do so. Searching from section to section really doesn't seem to be the easiest choice.

It is great that you have the in house artists, and they do offer amazing advice, yet if some new member posts an image or two with no response, how many tries are expected before they move onto another forum?

I realize that Smugmug has spoiled us all, and it is easy to expect more than is probably possible, but it is my hope that some form of centralized section can be created where members can post their images with some form of expectation of receiving some form of advice or critique.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Plenty of people already put C&C or something similar in their posts. I think that could work?

Thats what I look for....seems not that hard to figure out...

oh, wait.... do I hear ... ya I hear it... someone is getting ready to complain about your suggestion........ maybe you should use two question marks so not to seem so over bearing and power hungry.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    Thats what I look for....seems not that hard to figure out...

oh, wait.... do I hear ... ya I hear it... someone is getting ready to complain about your suggestion........ maybe you should use two question marks so not to seem so over bearing and power hungry.

Aaron, we ALL need to move on, and keep the discussion about what makes Dgrin a better place. Thanks! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    One of the best things about Dgrin is the great support that is brought by those at Smugmug and through the moderators who genuinely try to help. While it is impossible that everyone will agree all of the time, at least a response is given 99% of the time (even though we may not like the response).

What set Dgrin apart from any other forum that I have been on is the variety of quality photographers and those knowledgable about the ins and outs who were willing to assist anyone who asked for it.

In the past few months, a few sections have had active members that have publicly stated that they will not offer advice because someone may use that knowledge to make a dollar for themselves or God forbid shoot for free after learning how. In other sections, active members have for all intents and purposes turned that section into a meeting place for them and their friends, rarely commenting on any other image placed in that section.

The one section that stood out was the WP. I will concede that many of the images were not exactly the cream of the crop, however some really put forth their best effort to create an image that they were proud of, and wanted it judged by members who are more experienced.

Having kept track of this particular thread it isn't hard to see that are some issues. However, it should also be clear that some truly want a place where they can post and be virtually guaranteed that some form of response will be given.

I know for a fact that anyone that contacts Smugmug would receive some form of response, shouldn't the same expectation be held with Dgrin? I do not expect that the staff of Smugmug or the moderaters be the only ones who should respond, and most members are more than willing if given a central location to do so. Searching from section to section really doesn't seem to be the easiest choice.

It is great that you have the in house artists, and they do offer amazing advice, yet if some new member posts an image or two with no response, how many tries are expected before they move onto another forum?

I realize that Smugmug has spoiled us all, and it is easy to expect more than is probably possible, but it is my hope that some form of centralized section can be created where members can post their images with some form of expectation of receiving some form of advice or critique.

Thanks, Cygnus for taking the time to give such great feedback.
    Moderator Emeritus