Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Changing file name
    How do I change the file name? If I make a change the plugin wants to apply it to all published pics.

What happens to the Title when publishing?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2011
    ANYone help please?
    caroline wrote: »
    How do I change the file name? If I make a change the plugin wants to apply it to all published pics.

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 19, 2011
    caroline wrote: »

Caroline

G'day Caroline,

yes, that's some default behaviour that Adobe doesn't allow the plugins to override.

If you are ever presented with the following dialog, I highly recommend that you choose 'Leave As-is'

20110820-ccfcq42t68w19f31t459dmxs1x.jpg

Any setting changes you made will be applied to all subsequent publishes...but there is no need to make all your photos 'to be republished'.

Hope this helps,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2011
    G'day David,

I'm getting there slowly :) Just one more question please?

In Lightroom, when I enter something in the "Title" field, what happens to this when I publish to Smugmug?

Thank you for your time,
    Caroline
    devbobo wrote: »
    G'day Caroline,

yes, that's some default behaviour that Adobe doesn't allow the plugins to override.

If you are ever presented with the following dialog, I highly recommend that you choose 'Leave As-is'

20110820-ccfcq42t68w19f31t459dmxs1x.jpg

Any setting changes you made will be applied to all subsequent publishes...but there is no need to make all your photos 'to be republished'.

Hope this helps,

David

[/URL]
  • Options
    pgmanpgman Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Major bug! 3.5rc and 1.0.1.16
    Hi,

I have 3.5rc. I updated the plugin to 1.0.1.16 and I lost the photos of most sm collections published inside Lightroom. The photos are still in SM on my website. Only 11 of my 21 sm collections in Lightroom still have photos.

How do I get them back in Lightroom? Or have I lost everything and need to redo it?

http://photos.foto-biz.com

The problem is with the plugin and not the SM website.
    Thanks
    http://www.sritch.com
    The Dogs of Vancouver, BC
  • Options
    acauroraacaurora Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    So I have a generic, possibly already covered, question -

I am new to Lightroom, have the latest version (3.4.1), and the latest version of the SmugMug Plugin 1.0.1.18, and my question to you is how do I get it such that I can view my gallery's contents from within Lightroom? I can see my heirarchy of all my galleries/categories/etc., but they all have a 0 photo count. I can upload/publish new photos and remove them from within LightRoom, but any and all other photos that are in the galleries do not show. Am I missing a step? Is there a security setting in SmugMug that could be causing this?
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 1, 2011
    acaurora wrote: »
    So I have a generic, possibly already covered, question -

I am new to Lightroom, have the latest version (3.4.1), and the latest version of the SmugMug Plugin 1.0.1.18, and my question to you is how do I get it such that I can view my gallery's contents from within Lightroom? I can see my heirarchy of all my galleries/categories/etc., but they all have a 0 photo count. I can upload/publish new photos and remove them from within LightRoom, but any and all other photos that are in the galleries do not show. Am I missing a step? Is there a security setting in SmugMug that could be causing this?

this is something that we have in development and hope to release soon.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    acauroraacaurora Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Ah okay. Thanks for the response. Great plugin :)
  • Options
    hoobhoob Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Republish a picture wipes out SmugMug's caption for the image
    I am using Lightroom to publish galleries to SmugMug, using plugin 1.0.1.18.

I do not use or set caption/keyword metadata for the images in Lightroom; once the images are hosted and available on SM, I use the SmugMug web interface to set captions for the images. I also enable Friend/Family edits of the captions so certain site viewers can add data.

If I modify an image in Lightroom and republish it, the caption and keywords that SmugMug had for the image are wiped out (the image comments do remain intact, though.) How can I configure Lightroom and the SM Publish plugin to preserve my existing SmugMug site/community captions when re-uploading an image from Lightroom?
  • Options
    Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Since you allow site viewers to change the captions I don't think there is anything you can do, except take the modified captions from SmugMug and update the caption with that info in LR before kicking off publish.
  • Options
    hoobhoob Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Since you allow site viewers to change the captions I don't think there is anything you can do, except take the modified captions from SmugMug and update the caption with that info in LR before kicking off publish.

So there is a limitation in the SM SDK that prevents the Lightroom SmugMug Publisher from reading the remote keywords/captions and preserving them on republication? If not is this something that will be fixed (the publish plugin already explicity retrieves and resets community comments.)
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    hoob wrote: »
    So there is a limitation in the SM SDK that prevents the Lightroom SmugMug Publisher from reading the remote keywords/captions and preserving them on republication? If not is this something that will be fixed (the publish plugin already explicity retrieves and resets community comments.)

I don't know for certain if it can be fixed or not. AFAIK when you re-upload a photo SM just pulls caption & keyword info out of the image's metadata. Maybe someone from SM will jump in and comment.
  • Options
    Dicks PhotoDicks Photo Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    Will watermark show in printing a lightroom watermarked photo?
    Hello all,

Looks like a GREAT group.

I have uploaded my SM photos with the Lightroom uploader and I selected to watermark the images in the upload process. I put a fairly large watermark, which I do NOT want on the printed copies. Will water marks show up on the printed copies.

Dick B
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    Hello all,

Looks like a GREAT group.

I have uploaded my SM photos with the Lightroom uploader and I selected to watermark the images in the upload process. I put a fairly large watermark, which I do NOT want on the printed copies. Will water marks show up on the printed copies.

Dick B

That depends on where you selected the watermark. If you selected the watermark in Lightroom, yes it will appear on the printed copies as Lightroom inserts it into the JPEG it uploads to SmugMug. If you activated the watermark on SmugMug (including the LR plugin not the export option) you are fine. If you want to check, when you are signed in to your account download the original image and see if there is a watermark on it.

Make sense?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    d3zzzzd3zzzz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2011
    Upload Issue after re-installing Lightroom
    Hi from Melbourne! Big fan of Lightroom and Smugmug here.

I've just built a new computer incl. a fresh install of Windows 7, Photoshop and Lightroom. I then copied the Lightroom folder (The one in 'My Pictures', which holds all the catalog data) from the old system to the new one.
    That worked quite well since I found both my catalogue of photos and Smugmug settings/galleries in Lightroom. However I can't seem to upload/publish any files now (Error message after a while: "The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response (1)")

I've tried uploading photos via web browser and that works fine, so I guess there's nothing wrong with my account. Also the Smugmug plugin settings look ok in Lightroom (BTW, running the latest versions of both LR and the plugin).

Does anybody have any advice in regards to transfering LR incl. plugin/account settings from one computer to another? Thanks!

Chris.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    d3zzzz wrote: »
    Hi from Melbourne! Big fan of Lightroom and Smugmug here.

I've just built a new computer incl. a fresh install of Windows 7, Photoshop and Lightroom. I then copied the Lightroom folder (The one in 'My Pictures', which holds all the catalog data) from the old system to the new one.
    That worked quite well since I found both my catalogue of photos and Smugmug settings/galleries in Lightroom. However I can't seem to upload/publish any files now (Error message after a while: "The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response (1)")

I've tried uploading photos via web browser and that works fine, so I guess there's nothing wrong with my account. Also the Smugmug plugin settings look ok in Lightroom (BTW, running the latest versions of both LR and the plugin).

Does anybody have any advice in regards to transfering LR incl. plugin/account settings from one computer to another? Thanks!

Chris.
    Just a guess here -- I don't use this particular plugin for SmugMug but the one I use shares a similar lineage. It's possible that your SM credentials were stored somewhere else. Try re-authenticating to SmugMug via the plugin.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    Just a guess here -- I don't use this particular plugin for SmugMug but the one I use shares a similar lineage. It's possible that your SM credentials were stored somewhere else. Try re-authenticating to SmugMug via the plugin.
    Thanks for the quick response. I thought of that too, but the credentials look ok in the account settings (attached). Also the upload does start but then times out. Syncing gallery structure seems to work too.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    Thanks for the quick response. I thought of that too, but the credentials look ok in the account settings (attached). Also the upload does start but then times out. Syncing gallery structure seems to work too.

I looked again, the place I was referring to is at the top of the SmugMug export dialog(at least in the Friedl plugin) and there is a button to logout and then log back in. It's possible that the metadata in your catalog indicates that you are authorized as shown in the plugin dialog but that the actual encrypted password was stored outside the catalog and is now missing. Try to logout and then re-authenicate.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    I looked again, the place I was referring to is at the top of the SmugMug export dialog(at least in the Friedl plugin) and there is a button to logout and then log back in. It's possible that the metadata in your catalog indicates that you are authorized as shown in the plugin dialog but that the actual encrypted password was stored outside the catalog and is now missing. Try to logout and then re-authenicate.
    I think I've found the issue: It works when I disable Kapersky Anti-Virus. I guess I'll email their support...
    Thanks for your responses thumb.gif
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    I think I've found the issue: It works when I disable Kapersky Anti-Virus. I guess I'll email their support...
    Thanks for your responses thumb.gif
    I've had the same issue for about a week until I read this and disabled Kaspersky AV. I'd be curious as to what Kaspersky has to say.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2011
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    I've had the same issue for about a week until I read this and disabled Kaspersky AV. I'd be curious as to what Kaspersky has to say.
    You might check the logs. I'm not familiar with Kaspersky(I've heard of it, of course) but I would expect to find a log of blocked actions and some means of adding an exception so Kaspersky doesn't get in the way in the future.
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    You might check the logs. I'm not familiar with Kaspersky(I've heard of it, of course) but I would expect to find a log of blocked actions and some means of adding an exception so Kaspersky doesn't get in the way in the future.

I added Lightroom to Kaspersky's exclusion list of trusted applications and set it to not monitor ANY activity by Lightroom and it seems to have fixed the issue.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    I added Lightroom to Kaspersky's exclusion list of trusted applications and set it to not monitor ANY activity by Lightroom and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Cool, glad that worked. thumb.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    vegaguy wrote: »
    Is there anyway to pull event favorites into Lightroom's Publish service?

Not at this point as the publish service currently only works one way. It can't display what photos were added to galleries outside of Lightroom.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Can't update Internal error...
    I hooked up my LR3 (newest version updated) and started trying to upload a gallery but...
    after about 2 or 3 images it pops up a warning box stating:
    • Can't update this collection.
    • An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index a nil value
    What's that? And what do I need to do to fix it?

My files are raw nefs & a few PSD's. I was just gonna let the uploader convert to publish them. Would I be better off converting them to jpegs myself first?
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    I realized I was running the 1.0.1.17 plugin so I updated to the newest 1.0.1.18 and now I keep getting error:

Can't update the collection.
    An internal error has occurred: SmugMugAPI.lua:530: attempt to index local 'json' (a nil value)

Now what??? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    I would recommend trying resyncing as that usually clears the error when I get it
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    I would recommend trying resyncing as that usually clears the error when I get it

I've resynced & reloaded the plugin till my clicker hurts... :-( Occasionally it'll upload 0-3 & other times it'll upload 10-20 but never more than that. Guess I'll go back to uploading the old way *sigh*
    I did email smug help team & never got a reply... which really surprizes me as their usually super fast... but not a word from them.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    Cindy wrote: »
    I've resynced & reloaded the plugin till my clicker hurts... :-( Occasionally it'll upload 0-3 & other times it'll upload 10-20 but never more than that. Guess I'll go back to uploading the old way *sigh*
    I did email smug help team & never got a reply... which really surprizes me as their usually super fast... but not a word from them.

I completely understand, I've been there myself. You might find this link interesting... I've never looked back. ;)