Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Mattoxaz wrote: »
    I get this error about half of the time trying to publish new gallerys. It eventually lets me publish them. Any idea of what this error is, so that I can avoid it in the future?

Error: An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index field '_dataChanges' (a nil value)

Thanks

Rob Mattox

Is it when you are publishing them or creating them?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    MattoxazMattoxaz Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2010
    Publishing Error
    Is it when you are publishing them or creating them?

It is when I am trying to Publish them.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2010
    Sorry different error from what I was having.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    billwittebillwitte Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Timeouts and other errors
    devbobo wrote: »
    For anyone having timeout issues with our plugin, please DM me your email address for that I can forward you a beta version to test out a potential fix.

Cheers,

David

I am getting lots of seemingly random timeout errors, as well as images that fail to upload without any specific error message. In my case, I might successfully upload 30-40 images, and have 2 fail. Repeated attempts to publish the failed images are unsuccessful. No apparent pattern to which images fail.

Based on the timing of this post (back in October) is it safe to assume the fix would be out now? I started using the plugin roughly 2 weeks ago, with the version included in Lightroom 3.3, released final version.

On a related note, is there some way to get more detail when an upload fails and there is no indication of what caused the failure?

Thanks!
  • Options
    HoodahmahnHoodahmahn Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Any update on the sync capabilities? Love LR and having SmugMug in LR, however would love if it would sync. :)
    _________
    http://ericmontgomery.smugmug.com/

Camera

Canon Powershot G6

Technology
     iMac 27" | 2.93Ghz Quad-Core Intel i7 | 16GB 1333 DDR3 | SL 10.6.5
     iPhone 4 | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
     iPad | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
    ...and a plethora of other computers and OSs
  • Options
    poppetpoppet Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 9, 2011
    This one is an edge case, but it required me to do a force quit of Lightroom.

I am running a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.4, using the internal display with a resolution of 1440 x 900. Using Lightroom 3.2 and experimenting with Smart Collections and Advanced Gallery Settings in Lightroom. When I did that it created a dialog box too large for my screen and I could not exit out/advance from it. The results look like this (click for larger)

992571463_BKEXi-S.png

Steps to recreate the issue
    1) Set resolution to 1440x900 (highest option for my internal display)
    2) Launch LR3.2
    3) Define Publishing service for SmugMug
    4) Under SmugMug Settings select Show Advanced Gallery Dialog
    5) Save settings
    6) Right Click (there might be another way but this is how I got there) on the SmugMug Publish Service in the left hand pane. Select "Create Smart Gallery"
    7) On my machine I did not have access to the Cancel and Create buttons
    8) Force Quit was only way I had to exit that dialog box.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information.
    i am new to 'forums' so not acclimatized yet and maybe commenting the wrong way...?
    i am using LR3 and smugmugpro and have had the same problem.. i had to keep the "show advanced gallery dialog" unchecked/turned off...
  • Options
    HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    Hi devbobo, nice work with the plugin so far. However, being new to the "Publish" feature in Lightroom as well as Smugmug, I'm not sure I understand the utility of this plugin in its current form (i.e. without being able to sync/delete images on smugmug). I used the publish feature to publish some images online, but when I found some mistakes in the captioning, I re-edited the images in Lightroom with the correct caption and hit publish again (they showed up correctly on Lightroom3 as needing an update). However, after it finished, I noticed that now I had 2 copies of the image on smugmug, one being the old incorrect one and the other the correct one.

If this is how it works at the moment, then apart from being a simple way of pushing images to smugmug via lightroom, I don't see what this plugin offers. I'm probably missing something, but if it makes duplicate copies of images everytime I change something, then that is obviously not very useful. Could someone please clarify if my experience is not the norm and if I'm missing something?

In any case, I wish you the best with the plugin and I hope that a more robust version that supports image syncing is made available at some point in the future.
    Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    drodedrode Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    After having one problem fixed (in minutes) today, I'm feeling lucky so I'll try for two.

The lightroom publish service make my workflow so much simpler and so much faster I don't know how I got anything done before. However, there are a couple of real issues. First is creating a new gallery and applying a quick setting. I use the same quick setting for nearly every gallery. However, I noticed that a few things are wrong every time. The watermark defaults to "default" rather than the on in the quick setting, back printing is always blank, so I have to type it in every time as well. If I create a gallery using he SmugMug interface, both properties are set correctly.

Bug? Undocumented feature? User Error?

It's a small thing but it matters. By working on the small things, I've cut the time it takes to process and upload game photos in half.
    - Dan Rode
    http:/www.rodephoto.com
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2011
    drode wrote: »
    The watermark defaults to "default" rather than the on in the quick setting, ... If I create a gallery using the SmugMug interface, both properties are set correctly.

Bug? Undocumented feature? User Error?

I don't have back printing in my settings, but the watermark issue I have as well. So I think bug.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    I don't have back printing in my settings, but the watermark issue I have as well. So I think bug.

Same thing on the watermark issue.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Lightroom Publish, single very large photo?
    I have been using the Smugmug Publish plugin for Lightroom for awhile using the JPEG Preset for 90 and it has worked great. The problem is that now I have 1 image that is much larger that exceeds the 24MB file limitation. Normally the Publish will convert my image from TIFF to JPEG, which is fine, but this time even at JPEG 90 the image is still larger than what it can upload. My question is, how can I get Lightroom to limit the file size for this image only on the Publish? Another option would be to create a JPEG copy of the image for export and stack it in LR. But when I Edit In CS5, and Save As, the edited JPEG version does not get reimprted back into the LR catalog.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Chris02Chris02 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    Hi there,

I am using LR 3.3 to set up new categories in SM and upload pictures fine, but the problems start if I want to add another picture to the same cat at a later date. LR displays the additional picture to publish but insist on wanting to update all of the previously uploaded pictures as well (even though they have not been modified).

I have tried a mixture of setting - un-ticking the LR keyword hierarchy etc etc but always the same issue LR wants to modify all of the existing pictures.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

C
    LR 4.1 Nik Silver efex 2
    D90 + D50 Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
    Nikon 55-300 mm f4.5-5.6G ED DX AF-S VR
    Landscapes, Sport and Buildings are my bag.
    Chris White Cheltenham England
  • Options
    PrairiemaidenPrairiemaiden Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    LIghtroom plugin publish errors and questions
    Here is what I am trying to do in the Light room Publish module:

I want to upload photos from light room 3 to a portrait gallery on my website in a size large enough to print larger than 11 x 16 so I may set up a picture package for my client to order from.

Here is what I did thinking this would work:

I made a collection with all the photo's I wanted to be added to the gallery and arranged them in the collection. I then setup the Publish Service Smug Mug settings to show advanced gallery dialog and sync hierarchy. I set the file renaming to custom settings and to rename starting at filename_001-filename_125. I set the file to jpeg 100 quality, resize to fit long edge 1800 pixels. I would have liked to had the option to convert these to srgb in lightroom before uploading as the SmugMug help file stated it would speed up the upload process but it was not an option in the publish dialog. Did not click any meta data or keyword dialog boxes.

Here is what did and did not happen:

The gallery of 125 photos started to upload and all looked good, except it was taking forever, then I checked the upload log and it was generating errors all over the place. Here is one example:
    alert_icon.gifWrong bytes received.
    Was your connection interrupted? Please try again, and contact a hero if the problem persists.

I went in and hit the publish again thinking it would republish the files that had an error. It did republish some of them, but I still had errors. So I repeated the procedure. Went in to my gallery to arrange it and noticed files were still missing. Noticed the files that did upload were all renumbered starting at 001. I have a huge mess. Thinking I should have used the republish option? Am I right?

The problem persisted and I contacted a hero, He asked me what virus protection I was using and if I was on a wireless connection. I am on dsl connection and I am using Windows Security Essentials. He also asked me to try using the simple html uploader. I paid for a pro account I feel I should be able to use the features offered by your service.

What would the optimal publish settings be to get photos to your gallery for uploading, fast with out errors and in srgb?

Any Information or links directing me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

nancycuppyphotography.com

• Options
    edited February 4, 2011
    ... I then setup the Publish Service Smug Mug settings to show advanced gallery dialog and sync hierarchy. I set the file renaming to custom settings and to rename starting at filename_001-filename_125. I set the file to jpeg 100 quality, resize to fit long edge 1800 pixels. I would have liked to had the option to convert these to srgb in lightroom before uploading as the SmugMug help file stated it would speed up the upload process but it was not an option in the publish dialog. Did not click any meta data or keyword dialog boxes.

What happens if you just use the default settings? I have used the 92% quality (default) and not adjusted the size or names without a challenge. Also you may want to try smugmug.speedtest.net to see what your speed is. On slower connections (such as hotels with 0.33Mbps) I was getting lots of errors. Also what version of Windows are you using?

My hunch (and it is just that a hunch from my troubleshooting stuff at work) is that the reason the hero suggested using the simple uploader is to remove the chance of it being an Internet connectivity issue. Just starting to break it down to the base pieces.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    PrairiemaidenPrairiemaiden Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    What happens if you just use the default settings? I have used the 92% quality (default) and not adjusted the size or names without a challenge. Also you may want to try smugmug.speedtest.net to see what your speed is. On slower connections (such as hotels with 0.33Mbps) I was getting lots of errors. Also what version of Windows are you using?

My hunch (and it is just that a hunch from my troubleshooting stuff at work) is that the reason the hero suggested using the simple uploader is to remove the chance of it being an Internet connectivity issue. Just starting to break it down to the base pieces.

Hello again.

I did end up using the simple uploader, it worked but took all night to upload the photos. I did change the size to original jped 100 quality as suggested by the tech person. There were a few glitches, it allowed duplicates when I had it checked to not allow and I had to go through the gallery and delete them.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2011
    Hmmmm I am puzzled.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    sirshannonsirshannon Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 26, 2011
    So far today, I have created 2 new galleries on my SmugMug site. I created both of these via the SmugMug web site.

When I open Lightroom 3 and view SmugMug under Publishing Services, these 2 new galleries do not show up. This has never happened to me before, is this a new bug?
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    sirshannon wrote: »
    So far today, I have created 2 new galleries on my SmugMug site. I created both of these via the SmugMug web site.

When I open Lightroom 3 and view SmugMug under Publishing Services, these 2 new galleries do not show up. This has never happened to me before, is this a new bug?
    Did you Sync yet?

2011-02-26_1446.jpg
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    I tried to read most of this thread since I'm learning to use LR 3. I was unsuccessful publishing the first time, but I'll go back again, because I'm quite sure it was something on my end I was completely goofing up on. (The link to Smug's help page on this will solve it, from what I could tell.) But anyway, I'm just curious if most of the bugs mentioned in this thread have now been worked out. One that is important to me is whether SmugMug can now capture its photo captions from our Title fields in the metadata on LR. I've always been frustrated with SmugMug's overall problem of taking its captions from the Description field in Photoshop... they should be taken from the Title field. Now there's a chance to get this working correctly if I go through LR for the publishing part-- if it's actually working that way now, at least.

And as a footnote, I sure hope in further releases of Photoshop, SmugMug will correct this, because it's quite aggravating. Or at the very least, let folks tell Smug which field to take their Title from. On every other site where I have stock, etc. though, caption is always taken from the Title field. Descriptions tend to be lengthier & I rarely want them as my caption.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    juliankjuliank Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Just started the LR Smugmug publishing service. Love it.

Noticed that the upload of images is pretty good. But e.g. keyword updates later tend to be very slow. For instance I just changed keywords on 25 images in a gallery with 25 photos and it is very slow. Is this normal?
  • Options
    nablanabla Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2011
    Bug: Adding only one keyword splits this keyword
    Hi,

if I add only one keyword to a picture, this keyword, if it consists of several words, is split into these words. THis is not the case if I have several keywords.

Then another thing I like to discuss. I want to only put my best shots on smugmug with english non-hierarchical keywords. My personal pictures use non-english but hierarchical keywords, thus I cannot use the same settings. So my idea was to create for every picture I want to upload a virtual copy and change the keywords like I need for smugmug on this copy. All keywords for smumug are listed under top level keyword smugmug which is not included in the export. By doing that, however, Lightroom wants to publish the picture again and again.... Furthermore, with that approach, changes in the original file are not reflected in the virtual copy. Any idea?
  • Options
    freehockeyfreehockey Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Smart Gallery Dialog box issue
    This one is an edge case, but it required me to do a force quit of Lightroom.

I am running a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.4, using the internal display with a resolution of 1440 x 900. Using Lightroom 3.2 and experimenting with Smart Collections and Advanced Gallery Settings in Lightroom. When I did that it created a dialog box too large for my screen and I could not exit out/advance from it. The results look like this (click for larger)

992571463_BKEXi-S.png

Steps to recreate the issue
    1) Set resolution to 1440x900 (highest option for my internal display)
    2) Launch LR3.2
    3) Define Publishing service for SmugMug
    4) Under SmugMug Settings select Show Advanced Gallery Dialog
    5) Save settings
    6) Right Click (there might be another way but this is how I got there) on the SmugMug Publish Service in the left hand pane. Select "Create Smart Gallery"
    7) On my machine I did not have access to the Cancel and Create buttons
    8) Force Quit was only way I had to exit that dialog box.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information.

I'm having the same issue my self with lightroom 3.3, but I'm running Windows 7 - did you ever get this issue fixed?
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Reverse Sync for Smugmug to LR
    I came on smugmug long before I got lightroom, and started using Friedl's plug-in soon after I got Lightroom. But I've been using the built in publish service for about 6 months now and am very happy with everything except one detail.

Is there a way with the built in smugmug publish service to attempt to associate images on smugmug with existing LR catalog contents?
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    Packhorse-4Packhorse-4 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    synature wrote: »
    I came on smugmug long before I got lightroom, and started using Friedl's plug-in soon after I got Lightroom. But I've been using the built in publish service for about 6 months now and am very happy with everything except one detail.

Is there a way with the built in smugmug publish service to attempt to associate images on smugmug with existing LR catalog contents?

Great Question - I'm in the same boat and I would love to know if this is possible. I've used multiple up-loaders to SmugMug over the years and I would like to have these pictures included in the LR3 Publish Service. Over the past few years I have posted thousands of photos from Lightroom to SmugMug. I know the pictures I have posted are still in place and I can manually update any of the images at any time, I just think it would be nice to have these earlier images included in the Publish Service.

-- John

• Options
    Packhorse-4Packhorse-4 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Rhuarc wrote: »
    I have been using the Smugmug Publish plugin for Lightroom for awhile using the JPEG Preset for 90 and it has worked great. The problem is that now I have 1 image that is much larger that exceeds the 24MB file limitation. Normally the Publish will convert my image from TIFF to JPEG, which is fine, but this time even at JPEG 90 the image is still larger than what it can upload. My question is, how can I get Lightroom to limit the file size for this image only on the Publish? Another option would be to create a JPEG copy of the image for export and stack it in LR. But when I Edit In CS5, and Save As, the edited JPEG version does not get reimprted back into the LR catalog.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rhuarc - what if you created another Publish folder with the specific settings you need for extremely large images? You should be able to keep your current Publish folder just as it is, and have a second publish folder for Super Size images that need to be compressed a bit more.

Alternately, you could export the image to your local hard disk and manually upload the image to the gallery you want to place it in.

An alternate to the alternate :ivar is that you could export the image to make sure it is under the 24MB limit and then import the new jpeg image into LR and publish the jpeg with the rest of your images.

-- John

• Options
    bemerickbemerick Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 21, 2011
    devbobo wrote: »
    Hey David,

Image syncing didn't make the release (we had a very tight timeframe). I have image syncing working in a very basic form in my current development build. It still needs some work but it will be available at some point.

Cheers,

David

Is this ever going to be added? It's a really annoying issue and has been 6 months now.
  • Options
    bemerickbemerick Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 21, 2011
    another issue is that I'll publish a whole folder, and not touch the images - but ones will upload and then be marked for re-publish. Sometimes 20-30 of them. This wastes my time and bandwidth, and there is no way to uncheck them for re-publish. Also no reason that they should be.

Constantly have photos fail to upload, even on my fast work connection.

oh i'm on LR 3.3, Mac OSX 10.6.6 - 8GM Ram Intel i7 with an Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2011
    freehockey wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue my self with lightroom 3.3, but I'm running Windows 7 - did you ever get this issue fixed?

Sorry I was traveling for work and time was tight. The Heroes gave me a build that has a smaller menu for the galleries. I would recommend e-mailing the help desk directly.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    SheShootsSheShoots Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2011
    Timestamp invalid?
    I kept trying to upload photos yesterday and kept getting the following error:

"Can't update this collection.

The timestamp for that request is invalid. Please ensure that your system time, date and timezone are set correctly."

I know yesterday there was some kind of problem with uploads in general at Smugmug but I believe it's supposed to have been cleared now.

I've checked my system time, date and timezone and they are all correct. Any suggestions/information?

I'm using LR3, Windows XP and a Smugmug Pro account.
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    Mattoxaz wrote: »
    I get this error about half of the time trying to publish new gallerys. It eventually lets me publish them. Any idea of what this error is, so that I can avoid it in the future?

Error: An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index field '_dataChanges' (a nil value)

Thanks

Rob Mattox

I'm getting this one tonight (Weds, March 30th, around midnight), did anyone ever say what this was?
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist