Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 5, 2011
    bemerick wrote: »
    another issue is that I'll publish a whole folder, and not touch the images - but ones will upload and then be marked for re-publish. Sometimes 20-30 of them. This wastes my time and bandwidth, and there is no way to uncheck them for re-publish. Also no reason that they should be.

Constantly have photos fail to upload, even on my fast work connection.

oh i'm on LR 3.3, Mac OSX 10.6.6 - 8GM Ram Intel i7 with an Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD.

Do you have the option 'Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy' selected ? If so, that is the cause of the photos being reset to republish. It's a known LR issue that has been resolved for the next dot release.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2011
    This one is an edge case, but it required me to do a force quit of Lightroom.

I am running a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.4, using the internal display with a resolution of 1440 x 900. Using Lightroom 3.2 and experimenting with Smart Collections and Advanced Gallery Settings in Lightroom. When I did that it created a dialog box too large for my screen and I could not exit out/advance from it. The results look like this (click for larger)

992571463_BKEXi-S.png

Steps to recreate the issue
    1) Set resolution to 1440x900 (highest option for my internal display)
    2) Launch LR3.2
    3) Define Publishing service for SmugMug
    4) Under SmugMug Settings select Show Advanced Gallery Dialog
    5) Save settings
    6) Right Click (there might be another way but this is how I got there) on the SmugMug Publish Service in the left hand pane. Select "Create Smart Gallery"
    7) On my machine I did not have access to the Cancel and Create buttons
    8) Force Quit was only way I had to exit that dialog box.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information.

If you have this issue, you should do the following...

1. Deselect 'Show Advanced Gallery Dialog.
    2. To access the Advanced gallery dialog, select 'Advanced Settings...' from the bottom of the Quick Settings list box..which will open a new dialog over the existing one.

I should also mention, this is a limitation of the LR SDK...there is no way to make that page scrollable so everything fits.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2011
    juliank wrote: »
    Just started the LR Smugmug publishing service. Love it.

Noticed that the upload of images is pretty good. But e.g. keyword updates later tend to be very slow. For instance I just changed keywords on 25 images in a gallery with 25 photos and it is very slow. Is this normal?

Unfortunately, due to the way Adobe has implemented the Publish framework (which sits on top of the existing Export framework), at the point that the file actually gets uploaded, there is no way to determine why it's being uploaded...whether the user has only modified metadata or physically altered the image. So given that, we have to reupload the image.

As soon as I have some alternative, I'll implement it.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    pgmanpgman Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Bug: publishing from LR3.3
    Hi

I have configure LR3.3 to publish to smugmug into the appropriate gallery. 2 photos got timed-out, so LR3.3 shows New Photos to publish: 2, but it also shows: Modified photos to re-publish: 51.

The problem is with the modified photos to re-publish. They were already uploaded this afternoon, they are already in my galleries.

So by clicking on the publish, it's trying again to to re-push everything because 2 photos in the batch did not upload.

1. How can I fix that?
    2. Is there a better way?

Thanks

Next day:

Now Lightroom shows 53 photos that need to be republished.

Somehow the publish doesn't know that everything has been transferred.

Further info

When looking at the upload log it shows:

replace problem: Content-Length mismatch. ByteCount given: 12572401, received: 11871260

filename: reifel-20110402-3157.jpg ID: http://syv.smugmug.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU#1242708425_yCD6i
    uploaded: 2011-04-07 00:12:31 PST, status error: Error2011
    Thanks
    http://www.sritch.com
    The Dogs of Vancouver, BC
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Problem with Re-Publish
    Hi

New sm user.
    1. I have configured LR3.3 to publish to smugmug into the appropriate gallery.
    2. Uploaded. The gallery is at: http://photos.foto-biz.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU
    3. 1 error in the upload
      replace problem: Content-Length mismatch. ByteCount given: 12572401, received: 11871260
      filename: reifel-20110402-3157.jpg ID: http://syv.smugmug.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU#1242708425_yCD6i uploaded: 2011-04-07 00:12:31 PST, status error: Error2011
    4. Now it want to re-publish all the photos in the gallery

Somehow LR3.3 doesn't recognize that the photos are already published. This has already happened twice.

Is it a bug? or is it me who hasn't configured something either in LR or on SM? or...
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    pgman wrote: »
    Hi

New sm user.
    1. I have configured LR3.3 to publish to smugmug into the appropriate gallery.
    2. Uploaded. The gallery is at: http://photos.foto-biz.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU
    3. 1 error in the upload
      filename: reifel-20110402-3157.jpg ID: http://syv.smugmug.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU#1242708425_yCD6i uploaded: 2011-04-07 00:12:31 PST, status error: Error2011
    4. Now it want to re-publish all the photos in the gallery

Somehow LR3.3 doesn't recognize that the photos are already published. This has already happened twice.

Is it a bug? or is it me who hasn't configured something either in LR or on SM? or...

Do you have the option selected 'Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy' ?

If so, the behaviour that you are experiencing is a known LR issue, that their dev team tells me should be fixed in the next release.

Disabling this option will stop the undesired resetting of photos to be published. I'd like to also note that determining when a photos is required to be republished is the job of LR and not the plugin.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    devbobo wrote: »
    Do you have the option selected 'Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy' ?

If so, the behaviour that you are experiencing is a known LR issue, that their dev team tells me should be fixed in the next release.

Disabling this option will stop the undesired resetting of photos to be published. I'd like to also note that determining when a photos is required to be republished is the job of LR and not the plugin.

Yes, it's selected, Will upgrade to 3.4 asap.

Bug aside what to you suggest/recommend as the better config for SM keyword hierarchy or not (after upgrading to 3.4).

Thanks for the help.

BTW, are you an independent or working for SM? I've looked/searched and may have missed it through all the threads. Somebody should aggregate all that info in the wiki.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Solved see LR export plugin
    Hi

I have configure LR3.3 to publish to smugmug into the appropriate gallery. 2 photos got timed-out, so LR3.3 shows New Photos to publish: 2, but it also shows: Modified photos to re-publish: 51.

The problem is with the modified photos to re-publish. They were already uploaded this afternoon, they are already in my galleries.

So by clicking on the publish, it's trying again to to re-push everything because 2 photos in the batch did not upload.

1. How can I fix that?
    2. Is there a better way?

Thanks

Next day:

Now Lightroom shows 53 photos that need to be republished.

Somehow the publish doesn't know that everything has been transferred.

Further info

When looking at the upload log it shows:

filename: reifel-20110402-3157.jpg ID: http://syv.smugmug.com/Photography/Photographers/16459567_eyhyU#1242708425_yCD6i
    uploaded: 2011-04-07 00:12:31 PST, status error: Error2011

The solution was to disable the keyword hierarchy.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Yes, it's selected, Will upgrade to 3.4 asap.

Bug aside what to you suggest/recommend as the better config for SM keyword hierarchy or not (after upgrading to 3.4).

Thanks for the help.

BTW, are you an independent or working for SM? I've looked/searched and may have missed it through all the threads. Somebody should aggregate all that info in the wiki.

Glad that was the issue :D

I'm a SmugMug developer...but I'm slack and haven't updated my dgrin footer. There is a thread on who the SmugMug people are.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Passwords, Videos, and Upload Errors
    I have three questions.

1) I use Quick Settings that set my galleries' passwords and password hints. When I select a Quick Setting in this plugin, it leaves both of those blank. Is this intentional, to prevent exposing them? Or a bug, or something I'm doing wrong? When I use Quick Settings on the SmugMug to create a gallery using the interactive web interface, these values are filled in. I would prefer Quick Settings on the plugin to work the same way it does in the web interface.

2) Video upload is disabled in the current version of the plugin (at least with LR 3.3 and 3.4RC). Smugmug advertises seamless integration of video, and some time ago, you indicated that video would be enabled in a future update to this plugin. What are the plans for video, and when do you anticipate enabling/supporting it?

3) When I publish galleries, I usually have a small number of images that fail to upload. Usually, simply hitting the publish button again takes care of this. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve the robustness of this? Or of best practices to make this a smooth process? I assume that the plugin itself tries a couple of times when an image fails, right? If not, I'd suggest that might be a very useful enhancement.

Thanks!

David
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    Glad that was the issue :D

I'm a SmugMug developer...but I'm slack and haven't updated my dgrin footer. There is a thread on who the SmugMug people are.

From SM's point of view, is it better to write the keywords as a lightroom hierarchy or not?

Thanks
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    From SM's point of view, is it better to write the keywords as a lightroom hierarchy or not?

Thanks

not, at the moment...until the next dot release of LR ships.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    DBR wrote: »

1) I use Quick Settings that set my galleries' passwords and password hints. When I select a Quick Setting in this plugin, it leaves both of those blank. Is this intentional, to prevent exposing them? Or a bug, or something I'm doing wrong? When I use Quick Settings on the SmugMug to create a gallery using the interactive web interface, these values are filled in. I would prefer Quick Settings on the plugin to work the same way it does in the web interface.
    This sounds like a bug, I'll investigate.
    2) Video upload is disabled in the current version of the plugin (at least with LR 3.3 and 3.4RC). Smugmug advertises seamless integration of video, and some time ago, you indicated that video would be enabled in a future update to this plugin. What are the plans for video, and when do you anticipate enabling/supporting it?
    There are a couple of reasons why we choose to ship without video support. At the point when we had to provide Adobe with our final plugin code, the video plugin support was still a bit flaky. Additionally, from our side uploading videos could potentially result in more timeouts, which would result in videos having to be republished. So we decided that it was best to ship the plugin with support for our core business...and bring on video support when it was going to be a better user experience for our customers. We are in the process of finalising some backend uploading stuff which should allow video uploading to be supported in the plugin.
    3) When I publish galleries, I usually have a small number of images that fail to upload. Usually, simply hitting the publish button again takes care of this. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve the robustness of this? Or of best practices to make this a smooth process? I assume that the plugin itself tries a couple of times when an image fails, right? If not, I'd suggest that might be a very useful enhancement.
    As above, we are in the process of rolling out some backend uploading changes which should dramatically reduce, if not eliminate these issues.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    Is this discount still available? If so how do I claim it please?
    Cheers,
    Caroline
    Andy wrote: »
    [imgl]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/991139443_kHmu4-M.jpg[/imgl]

And it's never been a better time to be Smug: Open a new trial account through Lightroom 3 and automatically get 20% off your first year. Adobe is also sharing a sweet 15% discount for Smuggers when they purchase Lightroom 3 or any Adobe product.

Questions? Comments? Please post right here in this thread. We're watching. wave.gif
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    This sounds like a bug, I'll investigate.
    As above, we are in the process of rolling out some backend uploading changes which should dramatically reduce, if not eliminate these issues.

David

Looking forward to these back-end improvements, bug fixes, and feature enhancements!

Thanks!

David
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    caroline wrote: »
    Is this discount still available? If so how do I claim it please?
    Cheers,
    Caroline

Bump :) -Anyone out there?
    Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2011
    caroline wrote: »
    Bump :) -Anyone out there?
    Caroline

Hi Caroline,

I'm not sure whether the 15% discount is still active, your best bet would be to email the helpdesk.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    no, that's actually not correct.

Along with others, I'm looking forward to see some kind of two way sync soon.

Can I ask that it be available at gallery or category level? I suspect it will be very time consuming once it is in place, and that's fine by me if I can break it up into gallery or category level tasks. I tried Jeffery's sync, but after nearly 12 hours it was still looking for things.

Part of that problem was that I do work with two LR catalogs, and the one I initially tried to sync has maybe 200 images on smugmug out of the 4,000 that are there. The other 3800 I want to sync to a different LR catalog. This would not be a problem for me if I could pick a gallery and ask that the images there by synced with LR, with option to download missing ones. (or to locate them one by one).

Thanks, take your time and do it right. Though, of course, I want it yesterday, :-)
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2011
    synature wrote: »
    Can I ask that it be available at gallery or category level? I suspect it will be very time consuming once it is in place, and that's fine by me if I can break it up into gallery or category level tasks. I tried Jeffery's sync, but after nearly 12 hours it was still looking for things.
    The syncing part is easy, it can be done at the gallery level or category level no problem with that. The issue is that the LR SDK doesn't really give the plugin much control over adding elements within Lightroom itself. Ideally, I'd love to have it as an item in the context menu of the tree when you right-click...but LR doesn't currently allow that.

There are some other options to investigate that aren't as elegant, but would be a workable solution.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    The syncing part is easy, it can be done at the gallery level or category level no problem with that. The issue is that the LR SDK doesn't really give the plugin much control over adding elements within Lightroom itself. Ideally, I'd love to have it as an item in the context menu of the tree when you right-click...but LR doesn't currently allow that.

There are some other options to investigate that aren't as elegant, but would be a workable solution.

Have you looked at how AnyFile works? http://www.johnrellis.com/lightroom/anyfile.htm
    I would like having a flag, though not as big as he makes them, show up on images brought down from Smugmug. Or even just a little jpg place holder with a file name to indicate there is one there by that name.

A context entry in the right click on a gallery would be great, but for me the higher priority would be the ability to add a gallery comment. I don't mind having to go to the plug-in extras to do the syncing.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    Hey guys and gals,
    In the SM publishing setting there's 3 checkboxes int he SM setting section.

Do I need to have them checked?
    What does each do?

Thanks
    R.
    Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.
  • Options
    DavidWiltonDavidWilton Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2011
    I just got Lightroom 3 and I can't make the SmugMug publish feature work. The error I get is that Lightroom can't contact SmugMug and I should check my internet connection. The connection is fine. I even turned off the firewall and it still doesn't work. I contacted support a week ago. No word back yet. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Have you tried the Authorize button in the publishing services window (right click on the SmugMug Export Option) then make sure you authorize it to communicate with LR.

R.
    Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    I just got Lightroom 3 and I can't make the SmugMug publish feature work. The error I get is that Lightroom can't contact SmugMug and I should check my internet connection. The connection is fine. I even turned off the firewall and it still doesn't work. I contacted support a week ago. No word back yet. Any suggestions?

G'day David,

The issue is that you mostly likely have to install the Starfield root cert, you which our SSL certificate provider.

Follow these instructions.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    Thanks for the pointer, but it still didn't work.

I've also tried to use the sign up feature from within Lightroom to see if I can get past the error message that says SmugMug is unavailable. But it also presents this error message.
    G'day David,

The issue is that you mostly likely have to install the Starfield root cert, you which our SSL certificate provider.

Follow these instructions.

Cheers,

David
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    Spoke too soon. After restarting twice, it worked. Thanks again.
    Thanks for the pointer, but it still didn't work.

I've also tried to use the sign up feature from within Lightroom to see if I can get past the error message that says SmugMug is unavailable. But it also presents this error message.
  • Options
    VT50VT50 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Lightroom 3 Help
    OK. First sorry if asked and answered on here. I was fixing to search the forum but just don't know what to call it.
    I got Lightroom 3 running on my mac. I set up my smugmug account and have published new galleries to my account. SWEEEETT!!!! My question is how do I import galleries listed on my smugmug account I want to edit them and then publish them again with the new edits?

Thanks
  • Options
    r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Lightroom to Smugmug captions
    I must have missed something. How do I get my title and captions to flow to Smugmug when I publish?
    I thought I had done it before.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    VT50 wrote: »
    OK. First sorry if asked and answered on here. I was fixing to search the forum but just don't know what to call it.
    I got Lightroom 3 running on my mac. I set up my smugmug account and have published new galleries to my account. SWEEEETT!!!! My question is how do I import galleries listed on my smugmug account I want to edit them and then publish them again with the new edits?

Thanks

Currently there is no way to synchronize photos from SmugMug to your local catalog of Lightroom. The challenge is how to match up the files on the SmugMug servers with your local versions.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    VT50VT50 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Am I going crazy, where the drag and drop feature listed on here to put photo's into a catalog on SM?
    - Edit photo's I want to put on smug mug
    - Create a new gallery under catalog I want them to be in on SM. (right click "create new gallery".
    - Go back "select all" on photo's I want to move into newly created SM gallery
    - Try to drag photo's into SM file = FAIL!!!

Edit: Weird tinkering around with it and got it to work. Problem is, I don't know what I did.