Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    davidzvi wrote: »
    I shoot weddings and Mitzvahs so I'm looking at maybe 200 galleries all total online and I think I uploaded more than 2k images so far this year.

So matching maybe a tall order.
    THat is exactly why I am hoping both SmugMug and Adobe can get things worked out so that LR will recognize when an image is already at SM. I know Jeffrey Friedl is doing what he can (and he's the best) within the LR SDK and what can be gotten on the SM side.

:D
    We can only hope for the future. thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 2, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    THat is exactly why I am hoping both SmugMug and Adobe can get things worked out so that LR will recognize when an image is already at SM. I know Jeffrey Friedl is doing what he can (and he's the best) within the LR SDK and what can be gotten on the SM side.

:D
    We can only hope for the future. thumb.gif

Don

Don,

It's actually not a tall order, I can't talk for what Jeffrey is doing...but my proof of concept is working surprisingly well.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    LayneMarie-TiffanyLayneMarie-Tiffany Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2010
    Just tried to upload from LR for the first time. It worked, but it put the big "PROOF" watermark on the photos. I made sure that I did not select the option for the watermark as I use the gallery setting on SmugMug... Is this a glitch or am I missing something else?
    I figured it out. It was operator error. :) Somehow I missed selecting my watermark in the gallery setting, once I checked that, it worked perfectly. Uploaded 126 photos with no problems.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Like many of us (I suppose) I have LR3.2 on both my laptop and desktop. I'm guessing it's a bad idea to have the "Publish to Smugmug" set up on both machines ? ? ?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    devbobo wrote: »
    Is your timezone set correctly ?

Yup.

Edit: I should add that I tried changing the time zone to something else, then changed it back to "Pacific", and I still got the error. I also have auto-DST turned on.
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but I don't yet understand why the photos remain in the gallery I see in the Smugmug area of LR 3 now. For example, I drag a photo from my library into a gallery down in the Smugmug publish area or LR 3. I understand how to publish it so it uploads to the gallery, but I'm not sure why it stays there in that publish area now. Is that just to show me I've already uploaded that photo to that gallery? I'd just assume it disappear from there so I can easily spot new photos I drag in and publish. Can someone explain this to me and how I can make best use of this?

I have one photo that I uploaded and right now in LR it shows in that smugmug publish area for the gallery i sent it to and it's marked 'Deleted Photos to Remove'. What's this mean?

• Options
    trancethemantrancetheman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2010
    Movie publishing
    Hi. I'm new to the forum but not to LR. I don't seem to be able to publish movies using the LR3.2 SM built in plugin. I have in the preference for SM "include movies" but there's no way to check box the item. If I try dragging a movie into the created SM gallery under publishing service, a dialogue box pops up informing me that This service does not support video. Am I missing something? Thanks, great forum BTW. :D
  • Options
    LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    no, that's actually not correct.
    wow, really? I don't see where I can do this. All I have showing is my gallery hierarchy but no images in anything.
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    kygarden wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but I don't yet understand why the photos remain in the gallery I see in the Smugmug area of LR 3 now. For example, I drag a photo from my library into a gallery down in the Smugmug publish area or LR 3. I understand how to publish it so it uploads to the gallery, but I'm not sure why it stays there in that publish area now. Is that just to show me I've already uploaded that photo to that gallery? I'd just assume it disappear from there so I can easily spot new photos I drag in and publish. Can someone explain this to me and how I can make best use of this?

I have one photo that I uploaded and right now in LR it shows in that smugmug publish area for the gallery i sent it to and it's marked 'Deleted Photos to Remove'. What's this mean?

Think of these along the line of a typical LR collection...but a LR collection is only local. This is a Published Collection...the only difference is that the images also reside on SmugMug.

Changes are only propagated to SmugMug when you click the 'Publish' button, so to make your life easier to see what changes are outstanding, LR shows the changes that will be made next time you click the 'Publish' button.

20100903-frq68ap3p8cscpkafms5rd77yx.png

That make sense ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    Linh wrote: »
    wow, really? I don't see where I can do this. All I have showing is my gallery hierarchy but no images in anything.

it doesn't happen yet, I'm working on the functionality at the moment...well in between answering questions :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    it doesn't happen yet, I'm working on the functionality at the moment...well in between answering questions :D

i just read the responses I missed, heh. well, here's to it working 1drink.gif
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    Hi. I'm new to the forum but not to LR. I don't seem to be able to publish movies using the LR3.2 SM built in plugin. I have in the preference for SM "include movies" but there's no way to check box the item. If I try dragging a movie into the created SM gallery under publishing service, a dialogue box pops up informing me that This service does not support video. Am I missing something? Thanks, great forum BTW. :D

G'day Trance,

Video uploading was disabled in the initial release for a few different reasons/issues on both the Adobe and SmugMug sides.

We're definitely be enabling it as soon as we can.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Lightroom 3.2 Smart Gallery & SmugMug Publishing Problem
    This one is an edge case, but it required me to do a force quit of Lightroom.

I am running a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.4, using the internal display with a resolution of 1440 x 900. Using Lightroom 3.2 and experimenting with Smart Collections and Advanced Gallery Settings in Lightroom. When I did that it created a dialog box too large for my screen and I could not exit out/advance from it. The results look like this (click for larger)

992571463_BKEXi-S.png

Steps to recreate the issue
    1) Set resolution to 1440x900 (highest option for my internal display)
    2) Launch LR3.2
    3) Define Publishing service for SmugMug
    4) Under SmugMug Settings select Show Advanced Gallery Dialog
    5) Save settings
    6) Right Click (there might be another way but this is how I got there) on the SmugMug Publish Service in the left hand pane. Select "Create Smart Gallery"
    7) On my machine I did not have access to the Cancel and Create buttons
    8) Force Quit was only way I had to exit that dialog box.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    I wasn't sure whether to put a bug here or under the Bug Forum, so I stuck one under the bug forum. First attempt at using it and I broke it eek7.gif Man I got mad Skillz! I am still holding up a software release at work alsorolleyes1.gif

Still way cool. Might not need SmugMug's MacDaddy anymore...
    -=Bradford

• Options
    barribarri Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2010
    found a bug in this plugin: If I try to use any of my newly created gallery presets from the drop-down menu, I always get an error mesage. Only no preset or the Smugmug default work.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    barri wrote: »
    found a bug in this plugin: If I try to use any of my newly created gallery presets from the drop-down menu, I always get an error mesage. Only no preset or the Smugmug default work.

Hi Barri,

What is the error message that you are receiving ?

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    I wasn't sure whether to put a bug here or under the Bug Forum, so I stuck one under the bug forum. First attempt at using it and I broke it eek7.gif Man I got mad Skillz! I am still holding up a software release at work alsorolleyes1.gif

Still way cool. Might not need SmugMug's MacDaddy anymore...

G'day Bradford,

Thanks for that...I think I can put in a workaround that forces LR to use the simple version of the dialog if the screen isn't tall enough to display it. But until then, you might have to uncheck 'Show Advanced Gallery Dialog'.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    trancethemantrancetheman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2010
    G'day Trance,

Video uploading was disabled in the initial release for a few different reasons/issues on both the Adobe and SmugMug sides.

We're definitely be enabling it as soon as we can.

Cheers,

David

Thanks very much David for explaining.
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Think of these along the line of a typical LR collection...but a LR collection is only local. This is a Published Collection...the only difference is that the images also reside on SmugMug.

Changes are only propagated to SmugMug when you click the 'Publish' button, so to make your life easier to see what changes are outstanding, LR shows the changes that will be made next time you click the 'Publish' button.

That make sense ?

Cheers,

David

Ok, yes that helps.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    I ran into an issue with the SmugMug Publish today. I have my Publish set to upload JPG's at 100% quality. I'd prefer to upload photos with the least-compression possible (yes, there are pro's and cons for uploading anywhere between 80-90% but as a signal processing guy I prefer to leave my pixels as the camera took them).

Many of my shots when exported to JPG are greater than 12mb. I'm not sure why Lightroom keeps making large JPG's (shot on a D300s at 12.1mp) but a lot of the photos resulted in errors because the JPG's were too large.

Do I have to temporarily change the Publish settings to either a lower quality or do limit the resolution in order to get those photos to upload? Then I can change it back to full quality?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    leftquark wrote: »
    I ran into an issue with the SmugMug Publish today. I have my Publish set to upload JPG's at 100% quality. I'd prefer to upload photos with the least-compression possible (yes, there are pro's and cons for uploading anywhere between 80-90% but as a signal processing guy I prefer to leave my pixels as the camera took them).

Many of my shots when exported to JPG are greater than 12mb. I'm not sure why Lightroom keeps making large JPG's (shot on a D300s at 12.1mp) but a lot of the photos resulted in errors because the JPG's were too large.

Do I have to temporarily change the Publish settings to either a lower quality or do limit the resolution in order to get those photos to upload? Then I can change it back to full quality?
    Look, I appreciate the science of this too and that would make a lot of sense if these were your pristine backups and wanted to preserve maximum editing capabilities in the future. But, I keep my pristine images backed up separately (they're RAW images in my workflow) and I use Smugmug optimally for different purposes.

For most people, the primary purpose of Smugmug is for web display or print ordering and saving at 100% instead of 90% in Lightroom is causing you uploading problems and is not improving ANY of the primary purposes of Smugmug. There will be no difference in your web display or even ridiculously large prints with 90% instead of 100%, yet your uploads will go significantly faster and without errors for being oversize. I think it simply doesn't make sense to upload at 100%.

You may also want to read this excellent article that discusses the different JPEG compression levels in Lightroom.

If you really want pristine online backups, I'd suggest signing up for BackBlaze, a real backup service that can be used for all your file types, not just images. Individual files are allowed up to 4GB. It's $50/yr for unlimited backup storage quantity. I have almost 1TB backed up with them.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    The recommend upload from LR is 92 AFAIK. and not larger than 25Mb for originals. As mentioned, this should no affect viewing or printing from SM.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Howdy, not trying to beat a horse, offering up more items to study. I had a very similar problem as Pixoul with images timing out on re-upload with just changed metadata. So basically a replace of the metadata everything else the same. However if I delete the images from the gallery first then publish, works perfectly.

They are DNGs from a Canon XTi.

Still think it is very cool, and everything that has impacted me has a work around so I am not complaining.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Howdy, not trying to beat a horse, offering up more items to study. I had a very similar problem as Pixoul with images timing out on re-upload with just changed metadata. So basically a replace of the metadata everything else the same. However if I delete the images from the gallery first then publish, works perfectly.

They are DNGs from a Canon XTi.

Still think it is very cool, and everything that has impacted me has a work around so I am not complaining.

Hey Bradford,

I'm working with Pixoul offline to try to resolve. I'll ping you if I need additional assistance.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    MongoJohnson1MongoJohnson1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2010
    We're considering replacing our old archive and need metadata
    I certainly welcome any input on the ability to have Smugmug use all the grading/sorting and metadata Lightroom can provide.

Golly, now it's all a two-step bit of work and our current archive isn't getting any use out of Lightroom . .. We have to add keywords and such THERE (Extensive Portfolio) -- we may be missing a step.

Our hope is to touch the pix ONCE in lightroom and get 'em all catagorized there.
    kwalsh wrote: »
    As I've said elsewhere, very cool!

One feature question though, I suppose future question. I like to keep the IPTC metadata as it should be. Title is a title, caption is a caption and so forth. But on Smugmug there is just a caption, and I like it to include the IPTC title a certain way, the IPTC caption, and then the IPTC copyright. Jeffery's most awesome plug-in supports this. Are there plans for the smugmug publish to allow us to do useful things translating the wealth of real-world metadata into the limited fields available on smugmug?

And thanks for the great work!

Ken
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Hi: Don't know if this is the correct spot for this problem - admids - please transfer if necessary.
    Since uploading LR3,2 publish to SmugMug has been a chore - to say the least. In a nutshell I am unable to login to SmugMug.
    The Heros at SmugMug have been trying each and everything at their disposal to no avail. Some additional info:
    The Heros can log in and move around the various Galleries. I can Log in the first time after a temp password is given but am unable to continue in the Control Panel to change to a permanent password - I am brought back to the signin window which will not accept the temp password - a new temp password starts the process all over again. I have Adobe Flash loaded in 32bit Windows 7 - normally use 64bit - have Safari Browser - all to no avail.
    Extra note: I am not computer savy - my son, who is away on a business trip does all of my setting up - this is a new PC laptop with all of the latest bells and whistles.
    My publish setup for Flickr appears to be working fine. I have a backup of my data drive which is before Lifhtroom 3.2 on an outside drive but have no experience with restore - process of removing old and restoring to before LR3.2.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    ED
    www.photoman74.smugmug.com (74is my age)

HELP PLEASE...
  • Options
    54Blake54Blake Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2010
    Default Setup for All New Catalogs
    I LOVE this new feature, but I do have one quick question. I use multiple catalogs as a way to categorize my shoots. It looks like I have to set up my SmugMug account every time I create a new catalog.

Is there an option to set up my SmugMug account as the default and then every new catalog I create will automatically have my SmugMug account authenticated as a publication source?

Thanks for the awesome upgrade!
  • Options
    mjohnstonmjohnston Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2010
    Multi-word keywords
    Hi, thanks for developing this plugin. I have a few questions that I haven’t been able to answer using help or browsing the web.

1. If I change metadata, but not development settings, is the whole image re-rendered and uploaded? Ideally, of course, just the metadata updates would be transmitted.

2. My multi-word keywords all appear to be broken up into single word keywords on the Smugmug side. Is there any way to keep the keywords 'whole'?

Thanks!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    mjohnston wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for developing this plugin. I have a few questions that I haven’t been able to answer using help or browsing the web.

1. If I change metadata, but not development settings, is the whole image re-rendered and uploaded? Ideally, of course, just the metadata updates would be transmitted.

2. My multi-word keywords all appear to be broken up into single word keywords on the Smugmug side. Is there any way to keep the keywords 'whole'?

Thanks!
    We'll re-render new copies on SM. Multi-word keywords should be separated by commas

kwdone kwdtwo, kwdthree, kwdfour

etc
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2010
    54Blake wrote: »
    I LOVE this new feature, but I do have one quick question. I use multiple catalogs as a way to categorize my shoots. It looks like I have to set up my SmugMug account every time I create a new catalog.

Is there an option to set up my SmugMug account as the default and then every new catalog I create will automatically have my SmugMug account authenticated as a publication source?

Thanks for the awesome upgrade!

Unfortunately, Lightroom doesn't support this.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos