Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    I'm using the new LR3.3RC1, and ran into a problem. I could not create a new gallery, so I tried using the Publishing Manager, and sync'ing my hierarchy. It failed, showing a dialog box that says "Your SmugMug access token for Adobe Lightroom has been revoked."

What does this mean, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

David
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    DBR wrote: »
    I'm using the new LR3.3RC1, and ran into a problem. I could not create a new gallery, so I tried using the Publishing Manager, and sync'ing my hierarchy. It failed, showing a dialog box that says "Your SmugMug access token for Adobe Lightroom has been revoked."

What does this mean, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

David

I still don't know what caused this, but it can be fixed as follows. Go to your Control Panel, and revoke the permissions for the LR application. Then, go back to LR, and re-authenticate.

dbr
  • Options
    MrDeeMrDee Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2010
    Renaming on SM Publish Problem
    Hi

I am renaming images via the SM Publish plugin in LR3.2 (in order for them to display in the order I want via SM's gallery preferences). I do it this way as some images are manually scanned and hence don't always have accurate date/time in the metadata from a digital camera.

I notice that there does not appear to be a way to have the plugin retain the auto-incrementing integer it last used, and start incrementing from there when publishing again to the same gallery. Is this my fault or is it the way it works? I have to manually remember to provide the number into the plugin settings after looking it up via the SM gallery on my site. I often forget and this messes the gallery up.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    MrDee wrote: »
    Hi

I am renaming images via the SM Publish plugin in LR3.2 (in order for them to display in the order I want via SM's gallery preferences). I do it this way as some images are manually scanned and hence don't always have accurate date/time in the metadata from a digital camera.

I notice that there does not appear to be a way to have the plugin retain the auto-incrementing integer it last used, and start incrementing from there when publishing again to the same gallery. Is this my fault or is it the way it works? I have to manually remember to provide the number into the plugin settings after looking it up via the SM gallery on my site. I often forget and this messes the gallery up.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.
    THis is an issue across the board with LR Exports/Publish/Rename (AFAIK) which many have asked to be addressed. Have not seen it yet.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    MrDeeMrDee Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2010
    Renaming on SM Publish Problem
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    THis is an issue across the board with LR Exports/Publish/Rename (AFAIK) which many have asked to be addressed. Have not seen it yet.

Don

Thanks for the quick reply Don. ...hard to believe that such a basic functionality gap is in a product which already got to v3.2

I read this whole thread thinking it must have been related to the SM plugin. Anyway, someone above wrote that LR3.3 RC1 is out, and I wondered if this issue was fixed?
  • Options
    r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Lightroom republish
    I have been searching through this thread and can't seem to find an answer, but then I might not understand the terminology.
    I have used the Publish to SmugMug feature and somehow got double the amount of items listed. I need to be able to reset the publish number to zero so that it will NOT republish. I think it had to do with me renaming the images.
    My end goal is to be able to have a copyrighted image online (so that downloads have a copyright on them) and to be able to replace it, when they purchase a print, with a non-copyrighted version.
    People on this thread seem to know what you are doing.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    I am not an expert, but I think that the renaming of the files is what caused the change. I think that not changing the name would solve your issue, as my understanding is that is the way that the plugin lines up the too images. Have you tried doing a Sync? I am not sure if it will fix it, but it couldn't hurt.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    vandrvvandrv Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    I have a question about this plugin that I haven't seen answered here. I upload my photos to Smugmug at a fairly low resolution, and with minimal post processing, just so I can get them online quickly. As photos are sold, I go back and do any final retouching and upload a high resolution version to print. I was wondering how to do this using the publish service. If I modify the photo in Lightroom , will it then republish it as the printable version? Or is there a better way to go about this. Thanks
    Joe
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    Some of this is achievable in Lightroom if I understand what you are asking to do, and some of it is done on SmugMug. The only step I am getting a little puzzled on is the different resolutions. In SmugMug you can set the largest viewable size for the gallery so that the image displayed is smaller sized. Then when they order the image, you can fully process and republish that image and even though it is displayed at the smaller size, the print will be from the processed image you uploaded. I would also recommend putting in the Print Delay feature to allow yourself time to do this task.

I would not recommend changing the resolution and quality each time you want to do something in the LR Plugin as that will prompt you to republish everything with the new settings.

Hope that helps.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    gregt1310gregt1310 Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    There are several folks who have asked the question regarding applying Quick Settings and getting the following error:
    An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil).

Haven't seen an answer as of yet.

Anyone know of a fix to this issue?

Thanks.
  • Options
    kidego32kidego32 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    gregt1310 wrote: »
    There are several folks who have asked the question regarding applying Quick Settings and getting the following error:
    An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil).

Thanks.

I'm having the same problem. I've been in touch with the help desk through email. They sent me a beta of the publish plugin to try, but I haven't been able to install it. It just won't install! At this point I've given up. Tired of the back and forth.
  • Options
    MarkWMarkW Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2010

Thanks.

I was getting this error when applying quick settings and I finally found a fix for me. I read on several sites it may be metadata issues so I went to Edit Settings on Smugmug publishing and checked minimize embedded metadata. Next I re-synced and saved the changes. I created a new test gallery and applied quick settings successfully with no error! I don't necessarily want to strip metadata from my images but if it will fix the problem for now I'll live with it for now. You may want to try this out and I hope it works for you all as well.
    Mark Warren
    EOS 50D, 30D, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, MF Pentax 50 f/1.4, MF 70-200 f/4.0, and a MF 200 f/4 adapted for Canon, Canon 580EXII and 430EX, 2 Vivitar 285HV's and many various modifiers.
    http://www.markwphoto.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwphoto/
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 18, 2010

Thanks.

Contact the helpdesk, they will email you a new version to try.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2010
    kidego32 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem. I've been in touch with the help desk through email. They sent me a beta of the publish plugin to try, but I haven't been able to install it. It just won't install! At this point I've given up. Tired of the back and forth.

What happens when you try to install it ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2010
    I still don't know what caused this, but it can be fixed as follows. Go to your Control Panel, and revoke the permissions for the LR application. Then, go back to LR, and re-authenticate.

dbr

it was a caused by a short lived api bug thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    Jeremy HallJeremy Hall Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Quick Setting Watermark Bug?
    I came to this thread to explain what I think I happening in a watermark bug when using Quick Settings. I have one called "Preview (watermarked)" that limits file size and places my preferred custom watermark setting. When I create a new collection/gallery in the LR plugin, the main dialog box allows me to choose my quick setting & generates the gallery. I upload a photo and it contains the default centered word "photo" SM watermark.

Upon further research, when I create a new gallery, go to the Advanced Settings and choose my quick setting, it is in fact turning on the watermark checkbox, but not selecting my custom watermark from the drop menu. When I manually select the custom watermark from the drop menu the gallery works as intended.

Thought I'd pass this along in case this specific behavior from the simple setup view was not already identified. Love the plug-in. Thanks!

P.S. Looking forward to sort order syncing in future releases as has been described in this thread. Especially when republishing changes it would be most helpful if photos stayed identified what is online, even if the numerical position has changed in the sort order.

EDIT: Also found another unusual watermark behavior. When I republish/update an image to a gallery that uses a custom watermark, the watermark is sized incorrectly. On initial publish it is correct, but when republishing it is much smaller.
  • Options
    TaomanTaoman Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 20, 2010
    Hello
    Something I'd like to be able to manage with this nice plug-in is about the virtual photos.
    Do you think it would be possible to identify a mechanism in LR to publish virtual copies if a photo is already in an another gallery ?

Actually for those photos, once they are published i'd like to see the link "see photo in the original gallery" without having to collect them manually while I'm on line.

Thanks
  • Options
    KFuhrKFuhr Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 20, 2010
    Good morning, does anyone know if it is possible to only publish caption information to SmugMug instead of republishing the whole image(s)?

Thanks, Kevin
  • Options
    HaikuHaiku Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 27, 2010
    Lightroom Quick setting doesnt work
    Hello
    I started to publish my galleries through Lightroom. I had two quick settings that I used before Lightroom plugin and then made a couple of more.

Problem is that any new quick settings I make, they dont work in Lightroom, only the old ones do.

When I try to apply new quick setting I get this message : An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

What could be the problem?

Thank you
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2010
    KFuhr wrote: »
    Good morning, does anyone know if it is possible to only publish caption information to SmugMug instead of republishing the whole image(s)?

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin,

Unfortunately, that is a limitation of Lightroom's SDK.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2010
    Haiku wrote: »
    Hello
    I started to publish my galleries through Lightroom. I had two quick settings that I used before Lightroom plugin and then made a couple of more.

Problem is that any new quick settings I make, they dont work in Lightroom, only the old ones do.

When I try to apply new quick setting I get this message : An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

What could be the problem?

Thank you

Email the helpdesk, they will hook you up with a new version.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    HaighHaigh Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Sync
    Any news on the release of the sync capabilities?

Hate to see empty collections on Lightroom for galleries which are full of images on Smugmug.
    Love the ability to see comments on Lightroom and want that for old galleries too.

Congratulations on the smooth implementation of creating new galleries directly on Lightroom. Beats the site interface any day!!!!!

Cheers
    Robert
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2010
    Is there a way to create new categories and subcategories with this plugin? If not, I'd like to request that as a new feature.

Thanks!

David
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2010
    Oops! Found it. Right-click on the service header, and select Create Category. Don't know why I missed it before...

dbr
    Is there a way to create new categories and subcategories with this plugin? If not, I'd like to request that as a new feature.

Thanks!

David
  • Options
    drodedrode Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Replacing images from Lightroom
    My basic workflow for sports is to import the RAW images into Lightroom immediately following a game, do some mostly automated processing and upload the keepers to my site. Then, over the next couple of days do some additional processing to the best images from that game (or by request for prints).

The original copies are RAW/Adobe dng files but the re-processed images are going to be separate psd or tiff files. Once uploaded to my site, they're all obviously jpgs.

I can easily enough update the original dng and replace it on the site bit I can find no way to replace the original with the version edited in photoshop. If I delete the dng version and then upload the psd in it's place, all the links become invalid. Having permanent links for email, social media, etc. is critical.

Is there any way to replace the original with a new version?
    - Dan Rode
    http:/www.rodephoto.com
  • Options
    kennedmhkennedmh Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 10, 2010
    Hi there,

Is there any word on whether or not the ability to sharpen photos in the plug-in has been added in LR 3.3? If not, is it still coming?

Thanks!
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    I am hoping that the updates to the plugin will be more frequent than the updates to LR, and that video support will be enabled soon.

Thought I'd add to the requests for video support. Love the LR3 integration with SmugMug, but having to separately upload my videos is a drag. :) Not sure if this is on the to-do list still or not, but seems like I am starting to take more video mixed with stills with my D7000 so would like to have this support.

Thanks. thumb.gif
  • Options
    stenpstenp Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Any way to copy from old publish service ?
    Hi. I publish to SM via Hard Drive publishing services and then upload to SM. Is there any way to copy these to new SM publish services within Lightroom? I don't want to retype every gallery name and the whole structure and then copy more than 10000 virtual copies. I tried to dragdropcopy the published folder sets and folders but that does not work. Any idea, anyone ?

Sten
  • Options
    Old DogOld Dog Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 27, 2010
    I tried to register for the Adobe discount but Adobe gave an error message that the Association name (cspartners) was invalid.
    Am I missing something?
  • Options
    MattoxazMattoxaz Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2010
    I get this error about half of the time trying to publish new gallerys. It eventually lets me publish them. Any idea of what this error is, so that I can avoid it in the future?

Error: An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index field '_dataChanges' (a nil value)

Thanks

Rob Mattox