Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 14, 2010
    ebwest wrote: »
    Hope I haven't missed an answer, but when I re-publish a photo after making one or two minor corrections, no name change or anything. Am I supposed to have to go back into SM and remove the original published photos, or is the re-publsih itself supposed to remove the originals?

republish will replace the image on SmugMug.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    devbobo wrote: »
    republish will replace the image on SmugMug.

Thanks, I'm battin .500, it replaced one, but another one I had to delete.
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    Experimenting with the LR3 publish/smugmug feature but I have been experiencing A LOT of incomplete file errors. For example, I think I had to attempt a publish at least a half a dozen times before I could get just 3 files to upload to a test gallery. Not sure if this is because of smugmug, Lightroom or me. Any thoughts on getting this to run more smoothly would be appreciated.

Also, unclear as to how to go about synchronizing to a gallery already on line. Do you bring those files into the gallery collection under the smugmug publish feature, even if the images are already online? Or do you only bring in new images ?
  • Options
    CynthiaM wrote: »
    Experimenting with the LR3 publish/smugmug feature but I have been experiencing A LOT of incomplete file errors. For example, I think I had to attempt a publish at least a half a dozen times before I could get just 3 files to upload to a test gallery. Not sure if this is because of smugmug, Lightroom or me. Any thoughts on getting this to run more smoothly would be appreciated.
    This is mostly likely related to your internet connection, than anything else. I'd suggest that you contact the helpdesk and see if they can help you out with a line quality test, etc.
    Also, unclear as to how to go about synchronizing to a gallery already on line. Do you bring those files into the gallery collection under the smugmug publish feature, even if the images are already online? Or do you only bring in new images ?
    At present, it will only sync the actual gallery, not the gallery contents (eg. images)...I'm actively working on a new version for image syncing.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    This is mostly likely related to your internet connection, than anything else. I'd suggest that you contact the helpdesk and see if they can help you out with a line quality test, etc.

I will see what the help desk tells me about my line quality.

At present, it will only sync the actual gallery, not the gallery contents (eg. images)...I'm actively working on a new version for image syncing.
    Don't quite follow you on this. What is the difference between the actual gallery and the gallery contents?

P.S. Why do I not have a problem when using a different method of uploading?
  • Options
    Don't quite follow you on this. What is the difference between the actual gallery and the gallery contents?

Currently, it syncs your SmugMug hierarchy...categories, subcategories,galleries. But it doesn't actually attempt to sync any images contained within them...syncing images is a lot more work that requires handling conflict resolution etc. It's coming, but we were initially under a tight deadline.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    gtlukegtluke Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    Any way you can make it so that it remembers the settings you set when creating a gallery? I like to set mine to allow comments and sort by date taken, which are not the default. Every time I create a gallery I have to reclick those.
    A sweet small bonus would be that the text entry field for gallery name is active when the window pops up so I can just start typing instead of clicking on the default name of “gallery” and making my own, since everyone is going to change that anyway makes sense that it would be active.
    Oh and my quicksetting has a specific watermark in it, but using the plugin it knows to watermark it, but used the default by default, and I have to change that every time too.

Just some small workflow issues, other than that it's great... except for the incomplete file thingy that seems to stop my uploads like every hour.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    I have started using this, and really like it so far. One feature I would like to see is the ability to only have certain keywords upload. I use hierarchy keywords, and I don't want any of the parent keywords to get up loaded with the images.

Is there any way to accomplish this already that I must have missed?

Thanks!
  • Options
    geohsiageohsia Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    I also have the problem where my captions are being stripped. That's key for me. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to wait for the next update?

I know you guys are still getting your heads around this thing but I would love it if you can sync sort order and metadata without re-uploading all of the images. I do work overseas and sometimes internet connections are slow and expensive. Being able to manage my galleries and do minor updates without ever downloading any image would be fabulous.

You guys are awesome. Let me know what's up with the captions. Thanks.
  • Options
    Rhuarc wrote: »
    I have started using this, and really like it so far. One feature I would like to see is the ability to only have certain keywords upload. I use hierarchy keywords, and I don't want any of the parent keywords to get up loaded with the images.

Is there any way to accomplish this already that I must have missed?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, LR plugins are pretty locked in with regard to what can be done. At the point, that the images are being uploaded/exported...I only have access to the keywords that are going to be exported based on the user's settings.

This sounds more like a feature request for LR itself.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    geohsia wrote: »
    I also have the problem where my captions are being stripped. That's key for me. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to wait for the next update?
    What field are you defining your captions in within LR ? IPTC Caption or IPTC Title ?
    I know you guys are still getting your heads around this thing but I would love it if you can sync sort order and metadata without re-uploading all of the images. I do work overseas and sometimes internet connections are slow and expensive. Being able to manage my galleries and do minor updates without ever downloading any image would be fabulous.
    I'm hoping to have sort order syncing in the next version. Syncing image metadata without uploading the image is actually a design limitation of the LR SDK. The Publish SDK is built on top of the previous Export SDK...and the actual export/upload is handled by the Export SDK. But at the time when we are exporting, we have no way to determine the reason why the image is being republished. Believe me, I'd love to do it properly, but at this point there isn't a lot I can do.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    gtluke wrote: »
    Any way you can make it so that it remembers the settings you set when creating a gallery? I like to set mine to allow comments and sort by date taken, which are not the default. Every time I create a gallery I have to reclick those.

You can't use a Quick Setting for this ?
    A sweet small bonus would be that the text entry field for gallery name is active when the window pops up so I can just start typing instead of clicking on the default name of “gallery” and making my own, since everyone is going to change that anyway makes sense that it would be active.
    Are you using Windows ? On my Mac, this field is always selected for me by default when I create/edit a gallery.
    Oh and my quicksetting has a specific watermark in it, but using the plugin it knows to watermark it, but used the default by default, and I have to change that every time too.

Just some small workflow issues, other than that it's great... except for the incomplete file thingy that seems to stop my uploads like every hour.

Have you recently modified this Quick Setting ? To sync updates to Quick Settings, you need to 'Edit Settings' for the Publish Service...and it will sync while it's doing it's 'Refreshing...' action. I'm hoping to change this, but I'm a little limited with how I can add stuff to the LR ui.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    geohsiageohsia Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    What field are you defining your captions in within LR ? IPTC Caption or IPTC Title ?

I believe I have them in Caption. Normally this is where I always have it. When I upload using the JF's plugin or the myriad of SM uploaders it always works.
    I'm hoping to have sort order syncing in the next version.

That's great to hear!
    Syncing image metadata without uploading the image is actually a design limitation of the LR SDK. The Publish SDK is built on top of the previous Export SDK...and the actual export/upload is handled by the Export SDK. But at the time when we are exporting, we have no way to determine the reason why the image is being republished. Believe me, I'd love to do it properly, but at this point there isn't a lot I can do.

Don't you kind of run into the same problem in regards to syncing sort order? Or were you only planning on syncing on the initial upload and not syncing changes without re-uploading all of the photos?

BTW, I know you're all about doing it right and automagic and all. What if you manually selected the photos you wanted to update metadata for? That ways its an explicit command, no automagic needed. Obviously we would have to keep track of it in our own, but that would work for me.

--

BTW, I think I read in a previous post that in order for you to do the file syncing are you checking the file name and the file size? Does that mean you have to render each image to determine if its already in SM?
  • Options

Dave,

I sent you a private message with the results of the line quality test.

Regards,
  • Options
    dmcgrandledmcgrandle Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    I believe I have them in Caption. Normally this is where I always have it. When I upload using the JF's plugin or the myriad of SM uploaders it always works.

I have data in both the IPTC Caption and the IPTC Title that I'd like displayed. Unfortunately SmugMug doesn't do titles, so all the information I have in the title field is lost when I upload. All the caption information seems to upload okay.

I'd at least like the ability to merge the two fields of data into the caption field as a poor workaround. It would be really good to have the title field displayable using the SmugMug site. Any plans to add this soon?

:D
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    exifutils ( http://www.hugsan.com/exifutils/ ) can do merging or copying around of the metadata in an image, so it could format and merge of whatever fields you want. However you would have to add a step to your workflow to batch process your jpg's before you uploaded them.
    dmcgrandle wrote: »
    I'd at least like the ability to merge the two fields of data into the caption field as a poor workaround. It would be really good to have the title field displayable using the SmugMug site. Any plans to add this soon?
  • Options
    RazRaz Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    Not sure why no-one else is posting about this ...

when I use the new publish feature in 3.2 to publish to SmugMug, it strips the IPTC Title so that there is no caption when the photo arrives. The photo just shows up with "Digital Davo photo" as the caption.

The jf SmugMug export profile works fine wrt. Title -> Caption.

I do _not_ have Minimize Embedded Metadata set in the publish settings, so I am confused as to why this doesn't work properly. anyone?

Hello all,

I'd like to pop a similar question. I'm also using the publish service in LR 3.2 and I didn't check the "minimize embedded metadata" option. My photos are uploaded without any metadata at all... ne_nau.gif

Thanks,
    Raz
    "Each piece, or part, of the whole of nature is always merely an
    approximation to the complete truth..."

-- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

My Galleries
  • Options
    Raz wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'd like to pop a similar question. I'm also using the publish service in LR 3.2 and I didn't check the "minimize embedded metadata" option. My photos are uploaded without any metadata at all... ne_nau.gif

Thanks,
    Raz

Furthermore, I realized that even when I upload jpgs that I exported from lightroom, using the usual smugmug uploader, I don't get any metadata on smugmug although I do have it on the jpgs... What am I missing here?

Thanks,
    Raz

My Galleries
  • Options
    Raz wrote: »
    Furthermore, I realized that even when I upload jpgs that I exported from lightroom, using the usual smugmug uploader, I don't get any metadata on smugmug although I do have it on the jpgs... What am I missing here?

Thanks,
    Raz

OK, I got it, it's because I used "limit file size".

Sorry for the trouble
    Raz

My Galleries
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    I'm noticing that galleries I have previously uploaded are showing an amount of photos that are modified and set to be re-published. But I know I haven't touched these and how can I tell what the (alleged) change is? Annoying!
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    54Blake wrote: »
    You're not butting in at all. I was considering looking into lumping my shoots into one big catalog anyway. Thanks for the links. I'll read up on it.

I'm curious about that as well. Matt K. (LR killer tips) and others have suggested a multiple catalog system, which is sort of what I use now (one catalog for every two months or so). I shoot ~10 events per week and the catalog gets huge after a couple of months.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    Pindy wrote: »
    I'm noticing that galleries I have previously uploaded are showing an amount of photos that are modified and set to be re-published. But I know I haven't touched these and how can I tell what the (alleged) change is? Annoying!
    It can be as simple as a Metadata change, inadvertent multi image processing with more than one image selected in LR..

Yes this can be very frustrating.

One way to check for inadvertent processing changes, is that the Publish is recorded in Develop history. Anything post Publish should show. Not so easy to detect for Metadata. Reversing any changes should put back the state.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    jhelms wrote: »
    I'm curious about that as well. Matt K. (LR killer tips) and others have suggested a multiple catalog system, which is sort of what I use now (one catalog for every two months or so). I shoot ~10 events per week and the catalog gets huge after a couple of months.
    Multiple catalogs negate many of the benefits of LR. You can't search, collect or query across catalogs. If you need to find something and don't know the date, it can take awhile to find which catalog it's in. I'm not saying folks shouldn't use multiple catalogs, just that there should be a really, really good reason to do so because you throw away a lot of the benefits of having all your photos in one database when you split it into many catalogs. I've got more than 100,000 images in my LR catalog and it's still doing great.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    sirshannonsirshannon Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 19, 2010
    Okay, this is a bug: Quick Settings do not reflect correct watermark
    I have 1 quick settings configuration stored on SmugMug, it is the only one I use and I use it for every gallery. One of those settings is that watermarks are on and the watermark used is the one my custom watermark (the only one I use, and I use it on every gallery).

When I create a new gallery in Lightroom and choose my custom config in the Quick Settings dropdown, all of my settings are automatically chosen correctly except that it uses the Default SmugMug watermark instead of my watermark. I have to go to the "Security _Privacy" tab and pick the correct watermark from the dropdown list, otherwise I get the big ugly "PROOF" watermark.

This isn't a showstopper and isn't that big a deal now that I know I have to do it every time but it is definitely a bug.
  • Options
    chest2tankchest2tank Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    right click --> "Create Category"
    right click --> "Create Category" as a sub category
    fill in sub category with galleries
    click publish

That doesn't do what you want it to do. I woke up this morning to find out that the neatly arranged category, sub categories, and galleries didn't upload correctly. All the galleries ended up in the "Other" category, and the categories I created didn't even appear.
  • Options
    chest2tankchest2tank Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    I'm really appreciative of everything you guys are doing to make our work flow better, but why can't you test stuff before it comes out???? This is driving me crazy. The last thing I need in my life is to be frustrated by the core tool of my business!
  • Options
    duckshotsduckshots Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Don't know where publish is.
    Andy wrote: »
    [imgl]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/991139443_kHmu4-M.jpg[/imgl]

Love Lightroom? So do we. Download the latest version from Adobe and see a familiar face under Publishing Services.

If you don't see it yet, click Lightroom's Help > Check for Updates... option to get it.

Set it up and sync your account in seconds. From there you can import, organize, edit and publish to your SmugMug site... all from one place. Need help? Look here.

And it's never been a better time to be Smug: Open a new trial account through Lightroom 3 and automatically get 20% off your first year. Adobe is also sharing a sweet 15% discount for Smuggers when they purchase Lightroom 3 or any Adobe product.

Questions? Comments? Please post right here in this thread. We're watching. wave.gif

Where is it?
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Delete Local LR Copy but keep on SmugMug?
    Hello-

So I am trying to figure out if something is possible. Is there a way to delete the local version (resides on my hard drive) but continue to have the version still on SmugMug? I am looking for an easy way to keep safety copies when I am traveling before I get home.

Also does Lightroom clean up after itself with publishing DNG/RAW files or are there temp files I have to go clean up? (I am running under Mac.)

Thanks
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    I"m trying to authorize SM in LR on my work computer today. I upgraded to LR3.2 and the facebook setup worked fine. Now, when I click on authorize smugmug I get a pop up that says "The smugmug service can't be reached right now, please check your internet connection".

Everything else is working fine, any suggestions?
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Does your work block SmugMug? Some do...