Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 4, 2010
    mjohnston wrote: »
    1. If I change metadata, but not development settings, is the whole image re-rendered and uploaded? Ideally, of course, just the metadata updates would be transmitted.

That's our preference as well, but unfortunately that's a limitation of the plugin architecture...at the point the image is being exported, I have no way to determine why the image is being republished.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Thanks but no thanks - I am not going to play around with this Publish thing - I have cancelled my SmugMug setup and will now cancel my Flickr setup.
    ED
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Flowerman wrote: »
    Thanks but no thanks - I am not going to play around with this Publish thing - I have cancelled my SmugMug setup and will now cancel my Flickr setup.
    ED

Ed I have your tickets on the help desk now and I'm going to help you personally :)
  • Options
    ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    54Blake wrote: »
    I LOVE this new feature, but I do have one quick question. I use multiple catalogs as a way to categorize my shoots. It looks like I have to set up my SmugMug account every time I create a new catalog.

Is there an option to set up my SmugMug account as the default and then every new catalog I create will automatically have my SmugMug account authenticated as a publication source?

Thanks for the awesome upgrade!

I'm no expert with LR, but you may want to check on a few LR specific forums about your use of multiple catalogs to categorize your photos, from what I read about it, you may be defeating one of the major reasons for using LR. It would make it much simpler to use the Publish feature also. Here's a few links:

http://lightroomkillertips.com/

http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php

http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom?view=discussions

If I'm butting in, just ignore me.
  • Options
    mjohnstonmjohnston Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 5, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    We'll re-render new copies on SM. Multi-word keywords should be separated by commas

kwdone kwdtwo, kwdthree, kwdfour

etc

Hi Andy, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm not quite sure that I understand, though.

EDIT: Removed further questions re: publishing metadata updates as I had missed that devbobo answered them.

On the keywords question, let me explain further. In Lightroom, I have a keyword "Shot by Mathew Johnston". This is a single keyword - it shows up in the Lightroom Keywording pane as a single item. However, when I upload this to SmugMug, the photo has 4 keywords:

1. By
    2. Mathew
    3. Johnston
    4. Shot

If I use the Web based SmugMug Tools > Caption/Keyword editor and enter, with quotes around it, "Shot by Mathew Johnston", SmugMug correctly records a single keyword.

It seems that the SmugMug publish functionality simply fails to maintain multi-word keywords as whole strings; in effect, forgetting to put them in quotes in order to keep them whole.

I hope that this can be fixed soon - it has made my keywording scheme rather useless for the time being! :)
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Thanks Andy - this has been a very frustrating week to say the least.
    Ed
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2010
    If I use the Web based SmugMug Tools > Caption/Keyword editor and enter, with quotes around it, "Shot by Mathew Johnston", SmugMug correctly records a single keyword.

This is to support some backwards compatiblity, if you want them to be imported as separate keywords on import they need to be comma separated as Andy originally outlined.

It's not a bug with the plugin, if you want to discuss in more detail, please open another thread.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ApertureflyAperturefly Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 5, 2010
    Where's the love for Aperture 3
    Andy wrote: »
    [imgl]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/991139443_kHmu4-M.jpg[/imgl]

Love Lightroom? So do we. Download the latest version from Adobe and see a familiar face under Publishing Services.

If you don't see it yet, click Lightroom's Help > Check for Updates... option to get it.

Set it up and sync your account in seconds. From there you can import, organize, edit and publish to your SmugMug site... all from one place. Need help? Look here.

And it's never been a better time to be Smug: Open a new trial account through Lightroom 3 and automatically get 20% off your first year. Adobe is also sharing a sweet 15% discount for Smuggers when they purchase Lightroom 3 or any Adobe product.

Questions? Comments? Please post right here in this thread. We're watching. wave.gif

Sweet for you all to love Lightroom, but where is the Love for Aperture 3.0 your plug-in hasn't done much since I started using it what are your plans if any to integrate better into Aperture 3.0??
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Sweet for you all to love Lightroom, but where is the Love for Aperture 3.0 your plug-in hasn't done much since I started using it what are your plans if any to integrate better into Aperture 3.0??

Have you tried this awesome plugin to Aperture?
    http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2010/8/30/from-aperture-to-smugmug-to-squarespace.html
  • Options
    sirshannonsirshannon Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 6, 2010
    Just tried creating and uploading a gallery. Had a couple problems.
    I created a new gallery in the new Lightroom Publishing Services area. It seemed simple enough. However, the "Quick Settings" setting apparently didn't stick. After I started uploading the photos, I checked the gallery on on my site and saw that they were getting the big "PROOF" watermark instead of the watermark used in my quick settings. I then right-clicked the SM gallery in Lightroom > Edit settings and saw that Quick Settings was set for Custom. I looked and didn't see anything different than it should have been other than the watermark being set for Default instead of my watermark.

So, at this point, the potential time saved is a wash because I will now have to fix this on SM and have the site re-watermark all of my images. Lame but not the end of the world.

But then I ran into this other problem and I have no idea how to fix it:

I was uploading 30 images, dragged from the Library module. I should have checked them better before I clicked "Publish" because there were 7 images at the end of the list that I didn't want uploaded. I clicked one of the images and pressed the "delete" key and it appeared to remove it from the upload list so I assumed that was the way to prevent those images from being uploaded. So I then clicked and deleted the other 6 images I didn't want uploaded.

When the publish job finished, those 7 images and 6 others (which happen to be the last 13 images of the original upload list) are now listed in the "Deleted Photos to Remove" section. I think I understand why the 7 I deleted are in that list (they were uploaded after I clicked delete and now need to be deleted?) but the other 6 should not be in this list and should not be deleted. This is a problem in and of itself but the bigger problem for me is that I don't know how to remove those 6 good images from the "to be deleted" list. Clicking them and pressing the delete key does not work. I have no idea what to do at this point other than to click "Publish" and let Lightroom delete the 13 photos and then re-upload the 6 that shouldn't have been deleted.
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    sirshannon wrote: »
    When the publish job finished, those 7 images and 6 others (which happen to be the last 13 images of the original upload list) are now listed in the "Deleted Photos to Remove" section. I think I understand why the 7 I deleted are in that list (they were uploaded after I clicked delete and now need to be deleted?) but the other 6 should not be in this list and should not be deleted. This is a problem in and of itself but the bigger problem for me is that I don't know how to remove those 6 good images from the "to be deleted" list. Clicking them and pressing the delete key does not work. I have no idea what to do at this point other than to click "Publish" and let Lightroom delete the 13 photos and then re-upload the 6 that shouldn't have been deleted.

Just a guess, but have you tried dragging those 6 from the library again? I'm guessing that should tell LR that you want them uploaded, and it would remove them from from the list to delete. If not, then your only option is probably what you guessed already...
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Found a situation that might be working as designed, but it is not telling the user that there is an error. It might not be directly related but all my testing indicated it was the cause. What is happening is that if multiple images are included in a Lightroom published online gallery are trying to be deleted the multiple images cannot be deleted at the same time as other multiple images not published within the local Lightroom catalog. There is no error indication of what is occuring. I was able to get Lightroom confused twice and working twice with the difference being multiple images I was trying to delete as part of a larger set was published to SmugMug via Lightroom.

I am using Lightroom 3.2 for Mac in 64 Bit mode under OS 10.6.4. My catalog is spread across two drives, one internal.

Here are the steps to recreate it (I put in image counts just for reference)
    1. Open existing catalog of lots of images (13,675)
    2. Have some images published up to SmugMug via Lightroom (11 in the gallery http://photos.bradfordbenn.com/Press/House-of-Worship-Exteriors/)
    3. Mark some images in the catalog rejected (997 of which six were published up to SmugMug) [Since I had restored these images just for the article I did not need them on my hard drive - they were on the cloud already]
    4. Continue to try to delete images using the select all, delete rejected photos commands... etc.
    5. Mutter expletives under breath and start Google searches about why not deleting - no good results
    6. Try deleting just from local drive, it works
    7. Try deleting small number from external drive, it works
    8. Continue to try larger and larger sets of items to be deleted (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 108) and they continue to work
    9. Select a set and it does not delete, for some reason receive an error message stating "One or more of these photos are published on the service 'SmugMug'." First time I had received the error message, not sure what the difference was. Select cancel from the options presented.
    10. Find the six images that are on SmugMug and mark them Unflagged (not rejected).
    11. Execute the Delete Rejects command, and it deletes the remaining images. (634)

I tried it again with smaller numbers and it seems that once a group of rejects contained four images that were published to SmugMug the group cannot be deleted and there is no error indication.

Make sense?

Found the answers to the rest of my questions in this thread wings.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    Photos Listed as Modified During Publish
    Hi, I've noticed an odd behavior that I wonder if anyone else has seen.

I'm creating a new gallery and populating it through the Lightroom Publish function. During publishing, some of my photos move from a "New Photos to Publish" state to a "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" state instead of to the "Published Photos" state. These photos are successfully uploaded - I can see them in the gallery on the web. Why would these photos be incorrectly listed as being modified?

Thanks!
    Mat
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Did you do anything at all, metadata or otherwise with them after clicking the "Publish" button? any change will do this!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    Here's an excellent explanation of the LR Publishing service, at least it helped me understand a few things.

http://www.tipsquirrel.com/index.php/2010/09/lightroom-3-publish-services/
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Did you do anything at all, metadata or otherwise with them after clicking the "Publish" button? any change will do this!

Don

Nope, just clicked publish and from there it's been hands off the computer entirely. ebwest, I'll read that :)
  • Options
    roaming oregonroaming oregon Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    I've been super frustrated with the jf SmugMug plug in lately being super buggy and wasting my time when updating my site for clients- especially when I'm often in a press room or hotel. It's been screwing with my normal workflow. Very pleased to see this new option. I'm going to give it a go and see how it works.

First upload (just an update to an existing gallery) worked great so there is hope if the other plug-in is failing you too...
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    Nope, just clicked publish and from there it's been hands off the computer entirely. ebwest, I'll read that :)

This appears to be a bug in Lightroom and affects all publish services: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3099284
  • Options
    54Blake54Blake Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2010
    ebwest wrote: »
    I'm no expert with LR, but you may want to check on a few LR specific forums about your use of multiple catalogs to categorize your photos, from what I read about it, you may be defeating one of the major reasons for using LR. It would make it much simpler to use the Publish feature also. Here's a few links:

http://lightroomkillertips.com/

http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php

http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom?view=discussions

If I'm butting in, just ignore me.

You're not butting in at all. I was considering looking into lumping my shoots into one big catalog anyway. Thanks for the links. I'll read up on it.
  • Options
    Steel PhantomSteel Phantom Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 10, 2010
    Hi,

Is there any chance of adding an output sharpening option to the Smugmug Publishing tool for Lightroom 3? It is the one feature of Jeffrey's plugin that I use that seems to be missing in your official tool.

Thanks!
    Tom
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    Can it be set up that the order of my LR3 gallery is reflected when it is uploaded? I have my gallery settings to "none" in the sort settings and in LR3 the sort settings for the Publishing Services galleries are also "User Order" so theoretically I can move them myself but they don't seem to follow any order in particular. Can it be done?
  • Options
    Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Pixoul wrote: »
    I guess another way to ask is are you tied to Adobe's release schedule or can SM update Plug-Ins on their own schedule?

Maybe I just missed it, but I haven't seen an answer to this question. Care to comment?
  • Options
    Hi,

Is there any chance of adding an output sharpening option to the Smugmug Publishing tool for Lightroom 3? It is the one feature of Jeffrey's plugin that I use that seems to be missing in your official tool.

Thanks!
    Tom

Hey Tom,

Yes, I'll be adding it back in the next release.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    Digital DavoDigital Davo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Not sure why no-one else is posting about this ...

when I use the new publish feature in 3.2 to publish to SmugMug, it strips the IPTC Title so that there is no caption when the photo arrives. The photo just shows up with "Digital Davo photo" as the caption.

The jf SmugMug export profile works fine wrt. Title -> Caption.

I do _not_ have Minimize Embedded Metadata set in the publish settings, so I am confused as to why this doesn't work properly. anyone?
  • Options
    chest2tankchest2tank Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    LR 3 Smugmug Publish doohicky is awesome EXCEPT.....
    IT IS SOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Suggestions?
  • Options
    chest2tankchest2tank Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    Suggestions:

1 - Email, twitter, and other types of notifications would be super helpful. I would use them to notify myself when a large gallery has finished, and I could notify my customers when their particular gallery is ready. That would be especially useful when I have a large number of orders. Check out http://store.MotoHD.net/Motorcycles to see what I mean by "order."

2 - SPEED IT UP! I don't know why it's so slow, but it takes 5x longer than Freidl's export plugin to upload the same material.
  • Options
    axismundiaxismundi Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    moving from jf SmugMug to LR's own SmugMug-plugin
    Since I upgraded to LR 3.2 about 2 weeks ago, the "jf SmugMug" plugin doesn't operate anymore and I am forced to switch to the new SmugMug-plugin provided in LR 3.2.

It's not too bad, just I don't know how to apply the Mogrify-plugin in the new workflow. Previously, I used the Export-workflow to apply Mogrify and send to SmugMug using jf SmugMug.
    Now with LR's SmugMug-plugin, you do not use the Export dialogue - you just drop your photos to the SmugMug-folder. Pretty cool, just I wonder how to apply Mogrify? Do I have to export to HardDisk, re-import to LR and then drop it into the SmugMug-folder?
  • Options
    serbautserbaut Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    I am getting an error while trying to apply a Quick Setting to a gallery in LR3.2.

"An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)"
  • Options
    Hope I haven't missed an answer, but when I re-publish a photo after making one or two minor corrections, no name change or anything. Am I supposed to have to go back into SM and remove the original published photos, or is the re-publsih itself supposed to remove the originals?
  • Options
    axismundi wrote: »
    Since I upgraded to LR 3.2 about 2 weeks ago, the "jf SmugMug" plugin doesn't operate anymore and I am forced to switch to the new SmugMug-plugin provided in LR 3.2.

It's not too bad, just I don't know how to apply the Mogrify-plugin in the new workflow. Previously, I used the Export-workflow to apply Mogrify and send to SmugMug using jf SmugMug.
    Now with LR's SmugMug-plugin, you do not use the Export dialogue - you just drop your photos to the SmugMug-folder. Pretty cool, just I wonder how to apply Mogrify? Do I have to export to HardDisk, re-import to LR and then drop it into the SmugMug-folder?

You are not forced to use SmugMug's plugin, for whatever reason Jeffrey's plugin may have become disabled during the upgrade. To re-enable it in LR, goto File->Plugin Manager..., then select his plugin from the list and click 'enable'.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos