Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Does your work block SmugMug? Some do...

Nope, we use smugmug for our huge photo sharing site www.fortbenningphotos.com (which is getting some AWESOME traffice, btw) thumb.gif
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    jhelms wrote: »
    I"m trying to authorize SM in LR on my work computer today. I upgraded to LR3.2 and the facebook setup worked fine. Now, when I click on authorize smugmug I get a pop up that says "The smugmug service can't be reached right now, please check your internet connection".

Everything else is working fine, any suggestions?

Unfortunately, the certificate authority that we use doesn't always have it's root certificate installed outside of the browser, try following these instructions.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    chest2tankchest2tank Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    How about something simple, like PUBLISH TO THE CORRECT EFFING FOLDER?!? Good god, I have wasted 2 days of work waiting for this to export, and when it finally does, it's in the WRONG FOLDER. HOW IS THIS DIFFICULT?!?
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    What is the plan for updates to this plugin? Most of my other plugins have "check for updates" button, but this one does not.

I really like this plugin - it's been great - however, I have one problem with it. When do you expect to enable video support? SmugMug advertises seemless support for video (for the site overall, not specifically for this plugin), but until this supports it, it won't be seemless.

Thanks!

dbr
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    DBR wrote: »
    What is the plan for updates to this plugin? Most of my other plugins have "check for updates" button, but this one does not.

I really like this plugin - it's been great - however, I have one problem with it. When do you expect to enable video support? SmugMug advertises seemless support for video (for the site overall, not specifically for this plugin), but until this supports it, it won't be seemless.

Thanks!

dbr
    I believe this is because of the current Lightroom SDK. Even though LR can import video there is not a lot of handling of video in LR, yet. Maybe with 4.0.

Jeffrey Friedl's SM Publish plugin also does not upload video.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    Bigken462Bigken462 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    A mod note: This being my first post, I was not quite sure where to post this. If it needs to be moved to another forum, or a new thread started, please do so. I would like to start by introducing myself.

My name is Kenny and while I have been a lurker here for a while, this is my first post. I ran across this forum while looking at the help files in Smugmug. I’m a power user there, and also an older user of Lightroom. (Version 1.0). I would like to update, but just can’t bring myself to rebuy the program each year just for updates.

Most recently I decided to back up my entire photo collection to my account. This has turned into a task for which I now see I’m not quite so sure I’m up to doing. I had thought initially that I could create sub folders within Smugmug, and then have them sorted similar to how they are listed inside my picture folders. The problem I have is that there are several thousand pictures in several hundred folders. Long story short – 24 months of Iraq and overseas photos which was taken by myself and many others. We shared pictures like young school kids traded baseball cards. The problem I have is that the uploader I use that which is embedded in the list when you right click and lets you send to Smugmug, groups every pictured from every files into one single list. The folder I’m uploading now has over 6K pictures and I’m on the 3rd day of continuous uploading. I can’t imagine the task I’m about to be faced with when I attempt to sort these things out into folders on the site. The idea is to have them stored in case my computer fails or is damaged. I’m really beginning to second guess that plan now.

Another idea I had that I thought would make this uploading and pre-sorting easier is when I recalled you could up load from the Light room program. Is this an option for LR1.0? And lastly, when I swapped hard drives a while back, I had backed up my files, but then, when I reloaded LR, I could never find a way to reload these into the program. Is there an option inside LR that will scan your drive for images and upload a folder or like at a time? Before my drive upgrade, I had several years of pictures listed by their uploaded dates and would just nearly rather take a beating than have to upload one folder at a time. I was really hoping there was a way I could do a mass upload into LR and let the program auto sort them. I know this post is kind of broken up and has questions related to both Smugmug and Lightroom, but since they two seem to go hand in hand, I thought maybe you guys could help me.

Crap sake, I tried to copy this over from word and it really messed it up. I'm sorry about the hard reading guys.
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    It can be as simple as a Metadata change, inadvertent multi image processing with more than one image selected in LR..

Yes this can be very frustrating.

One way to check for inadvertent processing changes, is that the Publish is recorded in Develop history. Anything post Publish should show. Not so easy to detect for Metadata. Reversing any changes should put back the state.

Don

Helpful!thumb.gif
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    I believe this is because of the current Lightroom SDK. Even though LR can import video there is not a lot of handling of video in LR, yet. Maybe with 4.0.

Jeffrey Friedl's SM Publish plugin also does not upload video.

Don

Actually, Jeffrey Friedl's SM Publish plugin does upload video. I verified that by uploading a short video using his plugin this morning. I prefer the way that the SmugMug publish plugin handles creation of new galleries, and it appears to have better error handling, but JF's at least attempts to upload videos.

I'm not particularly interested in sophisticated handling of video - at this point, I just want to be able to use the Digital Asset Management (DAM) capability of LR together with SmugMug.

Also, trancetheman had the following to say about video and the SM plugin:
    Video uploading was disabled in the initial release for a few different reasons/issues on both the Adobe and SmugMug sides.

We're definitely be enabling it as soon as we can.

I am hoping that the updates to the plugin will be more frequent than the updates to LR, and that video support will be enabled soon.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    I believe that Jeffrey Friedl is willing to sell/share his code/system for upgrading with other plugin developers. Then it would be easy to get upgrades out separate from what Adobe is going.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    chest2tankchest2tank Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    And let's just delete a gallery that finally uploaded successfully.... FMLw/Smugmug
  • Options
    dmcgrandledmcgrandle Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    How would I invoke this?
    Hey Dan,

Interesting, but I'm not sure how to launch this automatically within a workflow, seems to work fine on batches of files though. Thanks for the pointer.

:D
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    exifutils ( http://www.hugsan.com/exifutils/ ) can do merging or copying around of the metadata in an image, so it could format and merge of whatever fields you want. However you would have to add a step to your workflow to batch process your jpg's before you uploaded them.
  • Options
    New Photos to be Published go immediately into "Modified Photos to be Re-Published"
    Some strange behaviour -- when I create a new gallery now and copy pictures into it, they all end up in the "New Photos to be Published" section. So far, so good. But as soon as I click the "Publish" button, they immediately get moved into the "Modified Photos to be Re-Published" section. I don't even have a section any more called "Published Photos". The gallery is successfully created on SmugMug and the photos are in there properly.

If I then click on Publish again, thinking it will move the photos from "Modified Photos to be Re-Published" correctly into "Published Photos" it now takes a VERY long time (approximately an hour for a gallery of less than a hundred photos on a 12Mbps down/3Mbps up connection) to complete, during which nothing moves anywhere and at the end of which nothing has moved at all, and then gives a time-out message.

Some time back I canceled a publish before it completed because I forgot to make some changes, made those changes and then re-published the photos, and ever since then this plugin has done this. I've restarted lightroom, my mac, et al, no effect.

Any thoughts?

• Options
    rhermansrhermans Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    I'm getting the same behavior, they go into Modified Photos to Re-Publish

opened the sqlite db / catalog the field photoNeedsUpdating = 1.0
    manual resetted the field : update AgRemotePhoto set photoNeedsUpdating=0.0 where photoNeedsUpdating > 0.0
    all photos back into the Published Photos.
    changed the settings of the plugin to send short exif data, checked one photo to republish
    published it : data on smugmug changed so the publishing does happen only it stays in the section Modified Photos to Re-Publish
    checking the db again showed the field for that picture again as 1 (photoNeedsUdating)

The idea that I corrupted the db by this action is possible but then the flickr plugin and jf-smugmug plugin works without this behavior.

Any thoughts, and .... if you guys make updates where can we find the new smugmug plugin.
    best regards

Ronny
  • Options
    StormerStormer Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    serbaut wrote: »
    I am getting an error while trying to apply a Quick Setting to a gallery in LR3.2.

"An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)"

I am getting the same error, when you apply a Quick Setting, other then Default, this message will popup.

Concerning the "Modified Photos to Re-Publish", I know it worked 4 days? ago. Only yesterday it stopped working for me, photos get uploaded succesfully to smugmug, only become "Modified Photos to Re-Publish".

Update:

The "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" problem seems to relate to photos with keywords. If I upload a photo without keywords, it succesfully gets uploaded to smugmug. I also noticed some of the uploaded keywords are missing on smugmug, maybe this relates to the problem. It may have something to do with "Include on Export. My publish setting have the checkbox "Write Lightroom keywords as hierarchy" set.
  • Options
    Stormer wrote: »
    The "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" problem seems to relate to photos with keywords. If I upload a photo without keywords, it succesfully gets uploaded to smugmug. I also noticed some of the uploaded keywords are missing on smugmug, maybe this relates to the problem. It may have something to do with "Include on Export. My publish setting have the checkbox "Write Lightroom keywords as hierarchy" set.

Very interesting, Stormer. I decided to test your theory and got the following results:

1. Create a new gallery called "Test" and upload a photo with no mods whatsoever to it (including no keywords)
    Result: Successful! The photo was now in the "Published Photos" section.

2. Modify the photo (quick white balance adjustment in Develop module).
    Result: Success. The photo was now in the "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" section, as it should be.

3. Click publish.
    Result: Success! It took about 2 minutes, but it successfully moved the photo to the "Published Photos" section.

4. Removed LR/Mogrify and JF's Metadata Wrangler from the workflow for SmugMug publishing. Upgraded LR/Mogrify to the new version, restarted Lightroom and added them both back into the workflow. Unchecked the "Write Lightroom keywords as hierarchy" box.

5. Added a keyword to the photo and re-published.
    Result: Success! Now it moved correctly into Published Photos

6. Went to a collection that previously was not working (all photos still in "Modified Photos to Re-Publish"), and clicked publish.
    Result: Success! Photos are moving as I write this into the Published Photos section.

So one of three things fixed the issue. Either publishing the photo with no keywords reset something, or the unchecking of "Write Lightroom keywords as hierarchy", or else the removal update and reinsertion of LR/Mogrify and/or Metadata Wrangler did. Regardless, I'm happy.

Strange bug though.

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    I am surprised to hear all the challenges. Have you guys tried e-mailing the help desk? They have been great with my questions in the past.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2010
    For those people reporting images being set back to be 'Republished' after having previously moved to the 'Published' state. I noticed something along these lines with a few images while I was developing the plugin. The issue turned out to be that Lightroom didn't have write access to the original image or xml sidecar which I assume that it was trying to update in some way.

I'm not saying that this is the issue in your cases, but if you are using the mogrify or exif plugins, maybe they are somehow modifying the image which is flagging it to be republished after our plugin indicates that the file was uploaded successfully.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    dmcgrandle wrote: »
    Very interesting, Stormer. I decided to test your theory and got the following results...

Thats great news, I am going to try that this evening.
    I am surprised to hear all the challenges. Have you guys tried e-mailing the help desk? They have been great with my questions in the past.

I did not email the help desk yet, I thought this was the place to report any issues to the plugin. So all the issues are at one place.
    devbobo wrote: »
    For those people reporting images being set back to be 'Republished' after having previously moved to the 'Published' state....

Thanks for that info. My system does not run any plugins (yet).

Anyway, I will test this evening and will give you guys an update later.
  • Options
    Do all the images in the whole gallery get set back to be "Republished" or just the ones that we uploaded ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options

I did not email the help desk yet, I thought this was the place to report any issues to the plugin. So all the issues are at one place.

Yeah, I have my suspicions that it was the check box for Lightroom Hierarchy that made the difference. I have most of the keywords unchecked for "Include on Export", but have noticed that the keywords show up on SmugMug regardless. I don't think the SM plugin honors that setting for some reason, either that or LR presents the photo to the SM plugin with the keywords already in the metadata (incorrectly). Regardless -- it's a bug. :)

And yes, I did report it to the helpdesk through the e-mail system. I got back a very polite response of "We are sorry that you are having issues using the SmugMug integration with Lightroom. We have not heard of this happening before. We will pass this along to the developer. When we hear back from him we will let you know." That was on the 17th of Sept. I got tired of just waiting, so I posted the issue here.

• Options
    Do all the images in the whole gallery get set back to be "Republished" or just the ones that we uploaded ?

Hey Devbobo, for me every image I'd ever sent to SmugMug was now in the To Be Re-Published section. "Published" didn't even show up anywhere, in any gallery, neither old or even newly created ones with photos that were just uploaded. With the "fix", now it appears to be mostly working. I am still getting timeouts and the republishing takes a horrendous amount of time. In a gallery of 77 photos, I had to click Publish 4 times -- the first time about 20 photos timed out, the second time about 10, then about 5, then 2, and finally it went through. Very annoying. Time taken was an hour or so the first time, down to about 5 minutes the last.

• Options
    I have most of the keywords unchecked for "Include on Export", but have noticed that the keywords show up on SmugMug regardless. I don't think the SM plugin honors that setting for some reason, either that or LR presents the photo to the SM plugin with the keywords already in the metadata (incorrectly). Regardless -- it's a bug. :)

If you select 'Export Keywords as Lightroo Hierarchy' regardless of whether some of those keywords have been unchecked for 'Include on Export', they will be included. I have no control over this, if you regard that as a bug, you will have to take that up with Adobe.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options

As promised, here is my update:

- First test, just hit the publish button without changing a thing : Result photos with keywords remain "Modified for republish".
    - Second test, disable "Write LR hierarchy" : Result "Published"
    - Third test, remove all "Modified for republish" photos from collection, add a photo without keywords and publish : Result "Published"
    - 4. Assign a keyword test, at root level to the photo from step 3 : Result "Published". Keywords will look like root->test
    - 5. Remove keyword from step 4, create a sub keyword to the keyword from step 4 and assign that to the photo : Result "Published". Keywords will look like root->test->animaltest
    - 6. change "include on export setting" to keyword from step 4 : Result "Modified for republish". Keywords will look like root->[test]->animaltest
    - 7. Reenable "include on export" : Result "Published".

It looks like it has something to do with the combination of "Include on export" keyword feature and "Write LR hierarchy" setting.
    The funny thing is, when I visit the photo on smugmug, it says it only has keywords "animaltest" (step 6 is applied). If I download the original from SmugMug and take a look at the properties from the file, it says "animaltest; test".

If it helps to investigate the issue, you can get the photo from my site (http://stormer.smugmug.com/), as there is only one photo at the moment. If all problems are resolved, all my photos will be smugmugged :D.

Thanks for all the replies!
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    exifutils ( http://www.hugsan.com/exifutils/ ) can do merging or copying around of the metadata in an image, so it could format and merge of whatever fields you want. However you would have to add a step to your workflow to batch process your jpg's before you uploaded them.

Dan, thanks again for the pointer. I've been playing around with exiftool on my mac, and finally got a command line 'for' loop hammered out to merge the Title and Caption fields together into the Caption field so that SmugMug will actually display the info I have stored in many pictures in the Title field. It may not be the most elegant solution, but here's the one that worked for me:

for i in *.dng ; do exiftool -XMP:Title -XMP:Description -a -s -s -s $i | exiftool -XMP:Description'<=-' $i ; done

It returns an error on any DNG that has no data in either Title or Description (the XMP field that corresponds to Caption in Lightroom), but the effect is to simply ignore that file and go on to the next which is what I wanted anyway. If there is data in Title, it merges it with any data that may already exist in Caption and inserts a newline between the data of the two fields, and again at the end. It leaves the original data in the Title field so it is duplicated, but I can live with that.

Thanks again,
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2010
    Dan, thanks again for the pointer. I've been playing around with exiftool on my mac, and finally got a command line 'for' loop hammered out to merge the Title and Caption fields together into the Caption field so that SmugMug will actually display the info I have stored in many pictures in the Title field. It may not be the most elegant solution, but here's the one that worked for me:

for i in *.dng ; do exiftool -XMP:Title -XMP:Description -a -s -s -s $i | exiftool -XMP:Description'<=-' $i ; done

It returns an error on any DNG that has no data in either Title or Description (the XMP field that corresponds to Caption in Lightroom), but the effect is to simply ignore that file and go on to the next which is what I wanted anyway. If there is data in Title, it merges it with any data that may already exist in Caption and inserts a newline between the data of the two fields, and again at the end. It leaves the original data in the Title field so it is duplicated, but I can live with that.

Thanks again,

Hi Guys,

If you want to talk about other tools or plugins, can you please start a new thread.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    kbevphotokbevphoto Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    What is is re-publishing?
    * Sorry title should be: "What is IT re-publishing?"

So I've created the 8 galleries that I wanted to use for "Publishing". They are smart galleries using Jeffrey's plugin. Several of them have a few photos that are "modified for re-publish", but they are already updated on my SM account. Why is LR still saying they need to be republished?

What's more important is the fact that after a gazillion attempts, I keep getting the Timed Out error...Very, very frustrating... I'm trying to get my portfolio online with this!!! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    e-Scape Photoe-Scape Photo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Lack of reliable integration is ruining what could be excellent - indeed unsurpassed - end to end DAM between LR and smugmug.
  • Options
    boardheadboardhead Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 27, 2010
    DIt may not be the most elegant solution, but here's the one that worked for me:

I think this should also do what you want, but it is a bit simpler:

exiftool '-xmp:description<$xmp:title$/$xmp:description' -ext dng .

- Phil
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    I have noticed that when my photos marked to re-publish time out (they almost constantly do) I have to delete them from the gallery then add them back from a quick collection I've made to hold them. Super annoying, but I hold out for this ultimately working cause it's going to eventually be a great solution.
  • Options
    e-Scape Photoe-Scape Photo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    Hear hear Pindy