Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    gulfcoastshootergulfcoastshooter Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    Question about moving images between catalogs.

A typical work flow for me looks like this:
    I shoot in the field, and create a LR catalog on my laptop.
    I then export photos from my laptop catalog to a separate one for just that event so I can send it to an editor, assistant, or to migrate the work to my desktop catalog (and usually I delete the images from the laptop catalog).
    I import the photos next into a master catalog on my desktop.
    This is a workflow that Adobe has promulgated since 2009 or so here:
    http://lightroomkillertips.com/2008/friday-video-moving-between-laptop-and-desktop/

I may need to publish to SM quickly, so that may need to happen while the images are on my laptop or once they're on my desktop.
    Using the SM plugin seems to be creating some unanticipated links to specific catalogs.
    Wondering if people have any road-tested advice on the best point in this workflow to position the plugin. I gather that SM watches the images as they live in a specific catalog, since when I deleted some images from my laptop catalog, they summarily disappeared from SmugMug as well.
  • Options
    drodedrode Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    Republishing timeout errors
    I've been using the publish plugin for about 4 weeks now. Most things are working well and have been a big help. However I have one issue and a question.

First the issue. I've processed and uploaded 2 football games a week for the last month. That's 50-75 images per game. The initial (publish) uploads complete without issue. However, it's common for me to go back and tweak the images, add keywords, tag players, etc. This causes the image to be marked for republish as it should. It's all great until I tell it to republish. The first few images seem to upload as expected but the majority fail with time out errors. It's very consistent. It always a few successes and the majority fail. If I attempt to republish that same set, I get a few uploaded and the vast majority fail.

Secondly, a question. It's not uncommon for me to post an initial version of an image and then go back and retouch. The original file is xxx.dng, the first edit is xxx.psd, the second is xxx-2.psd, etc. The final version is (or should be) xxx.jpg as it's always exported as a jpeg. Deleting xxx.jpg and uploading a new version is an inconvenience but not a catastrophe. The main problem is that people have probably bookmarked the image and when they attempt go back to the image, it will not exist by that name (URL). Is there any way to instruct lightroom and/or smugmug to replace image xxx.jpg with xxx-edited.jpg?

Thanks,

Dan
    - Dan Rode
    http:/www.rodephoto.com
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    Using the SM plugin seems to be creating some unanticipated links to specific catalogs.
    This is default LR publish plugin behaviour and not something specific that our plugin does.
    Wondering if people have any road-tested advice on the best point in this workflow to position the plugin. I gather that SM watches the images as they live in a specific catalog, since when I deleted some images from my laptop catalog, they summarily disappeared from SmugMug as well.
    Prior to deleting the photos from the catalog on your notebook, delete the gallery that the photos are contained in within LR and select 'Leave on SmugMug'. This will break the connection between the photos in LR and on SmugMug...and subsequent deletion of the photos within the catalog won't result in the deletion of the photos on SmugMug.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    gambgamb Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    Lightroom sync with smugmug
    I had a computer issue and had to reinstall. My smugmug account had 99% of it's pictures uploaded from lightroom through the plugin. Can I "sync" those back up with a new install so I can see all my pictures that I've uploaded to smugmug under the lightroom plugin? Is that possible?
  • Options
    e-Scape Photoe-Scape Photo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    gamb wrote: »
    I had a computer issue and had to reinstall. My smugmug account had 99% of it's pictures uploaded from lightroom through the plugin. Can I "sync" those back up with a new install so I can see all my pictures that I've uploaded to smugmug under the lightroom plugin? Is that possible?

Not with the current inbuilt one .. believe it's on smugmug's to do list... but you can with jfriedl's plugin
  • Options
    dmcgrandledmcgrandle Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    ETA on a fix for the timeout issue?
    Hi folks, especially Devbob (our fearless developer!)

Is there an ETA for a fix to the timeout issue? It is easily the single most annoying problem with a great plugin.

Thanks,
    :D
  • Options
    jbacchiocchijbacchiocchi Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 2, 2010
    Smugmug and Resolution
    Does the smugmug lightroom publish allow for change in resolution? I notice that the original is always 240 and I'd like it to be 300.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Does the smugmug lightroom publish allow for change in resolution? I notice that the original is always 240 and I'd like it to be 300.
    That resolution number means absolutely nothing on Smugmug (it's just a piece of metadata that is ignored). All that matters on the web or with Smugmug's printers are the number of pixels.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    dmcgrandle wrote: »
    Hi folks, especially Devbob (our fearless developer!)

Is there an ETA for a fix to the timeout issue? It is easily the single most annoying problem with a great plugin.

Thanks,

For anyone having timeout issues with our plugin, please DM me your email address for that I can forward you a beta version to test out a potential fix.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    drode wrote: »
    Secondly, a question. It's not uncommon for me to post an initial version of an image and then go back and retouch. The original file is xxx.dng, the first edit is xxx.psd, the second is xxx-2.psd, etc. The final version is (or should be) xxx.jpg as it's always exported as a jpeg. Deleting xxx.jpg and uploading a new version is an inconvenience but not a catastrophe. The main problem is that people have probably bookmarked the image and when they attempt go back to the image, it will not exist by that name (URL). Is there any way to instruct lightroom and/or smugmug to replace image xxx.jpg with xxx-edited.jpg?

I need to have a think about this workflow, it does make sense...but it may be difficult to achieve with the way Publish services have been implemented. I might have a chat to the guys at Adobe and see if they have any ideas.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2010
    Attended a Lightroom workshop by Jerry Courvoisier, the former Digital Programs Director at the Santa Fe Photographic Workshops, who was on the development advisory team for Lightroom from day one, I gather. Brought all the developers out for a boot camp on how shooters work, etc. Sounded pretty cool. Anyways, got to speak to him a while about the workflow of a field reporter (like me). Long story short, I'm importing images to a laptop copy of LR, and building an event-specific catalog that is embedded in the folder with the images from that event, so that when I ship the folder to a desktop, etc., the catalog goes with it.

I have worked out many issues from my prior post last week (deadlines are great motivators), but am finding that every time I create a new catalog (which again is several times a day on weekends), I have to both re-authenticate with the SM plugin (no biggie), and then go through the prefs in the LR Publishing Mgr and set them all up again (kind of a biggie). Is there any way to make my SM plugin preferences persistent or at least a saved set that I can load? I do believe this is controlled by the LR Publishing Manager, since the options look the same for the Flikr, Facebook, etc. plugins. Hoping to not have to reset these every time I create a catalog.

Advice?
    KL
  • Options
    jbacchiocchijbacchiocchi Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    That resolution number means absolutely nothing on Smugmug (it's just a piece of metadata that is ignored). All that matters on the web or with Smugmug's printers are the number of pixels.

yes, but I believe the "original" jpeg does have the resolution.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    yes, but I believe the "original" jpeg does have the resolution.
    I don't understand your comment or whether that's a question or not. The resolution is just a piece of metadata that is simply not used on Smugmug. It doesn't matter what it's set to.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    dmcgrandledmcgrandle Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    devbobo wrote: »
    For anyone having timeout issues with our plugin, please DM me your email address for that I can forward you a beta version to test out a potential fix.

Cheers,

David

Done. Please let me know if you didn't get it for some reason.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Has the plugin been taken off the Adobe exchange? Need to install it on another machine, but have not found it in 20 minutes of searching.
  • Options
    e-Scape Photoe-Scape Photo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    The smugmug plugin is part of 3.2 build - it's not a separate download. Unless you are talking about jfriedl version.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2010
    So what do you do when Lightroom complains that your SmugMug plugin is corrupted and wants it reinstalled?
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    devbobo wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the certificate authority that we use doesn't always have it's root certificate installed outside of the browser, try following these instructions.

Cheers,

David

Ran through those instructions; got the "certificate import was successful" message, but it's not showing up when I run the crtmgr, and LR3 is still giving me the "cannot contact the smugmug service, check your internet connection" message.

On top of that, both IE and Firefox are now giving me errors when I try to upload to Smugmug (I guess due to a java update?).

So I'm stuck not being able to upload here at work, any other ideas? (I can get the java update installed but it may take a while to get them to do it).

thanks! thumb.gif
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Scratch file?
    I am doing a fairly sizable upload (3,146 images) I have received a message that the hard drive is out of space for using as virtual memory. I realized it is a temp/scratch file cache from Lightroom Publish. It can take up fairly large amounts of hard drive space and bring the computer to a screeching halt when the HDD becomes full. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    Waahoo !!

I'm a little late to the party - just noticed this new feature.

Yet another reason that I recommend SM to everyone I know.

Just tried it - worked exactly as I wanted.

Then I thought - sure would be nice if I could upload to different SM accounts.

A little looking around and sure enough - there it was. This has to be a record time for a feature implementation - it was literally about 30 sec between the time I thought of it and SM had implemented it. Amazing.

I don't use those little dancing things much, but here you go. wings.gif

Huh, now that I clicked on it, I wonder why it is called Barb? Doesn't look anything like the Barb I know.... :D
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2010
    SteveF wrote: »
    Then I thought - sure would be nice if I could upload to different SM accounts.

right click on the SmugMug banner, and select 'Create Another Publish Service via SmugMug' thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2010
    I am doing a fairly sizable upload (3,146 images) I have received a message that the hard drive is out of space for using as virtual memory. I realized it is a temp/scratch file cache from Lightroom Publish. It can take up fairly large amounts of hard drive space and bring the computer to a screeching halt when the HDD becomes full. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

I think i was doing something dumb....I'll email you an update.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    KrossfireKrossfire Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 15, 2010
    Not sure this has been discussed yet.
    I used this for the first time last night.
    I have:1-gallery category with multiple sub-categories which have multiple galleries in those.

When I published these last night it took some of the galleries and put them in the wrong sub-categories. I then had to go to the smug site and move those galleries 1 by 1 to the proper sub-category Luckly there were no photo's envolved as I am trying to get my galleries set up for a week long event. Now I am worried that when I get to the event and start taking photo's that the same thing will happen and I am not going to know which gallery they go to if it happens dealing with thousands of photo's..??

• Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    Updates?
    What is the plan for updates to this plugin? I've seen references to test updates being emailed to people, and references to new features under development. I'm particularly interested in being able to upload my videos along with my stills - a feature which the competing JF plugin supports, and I understand will be supported in this one at some point.

Will this plugin only be updated with new versions of Lightroom? Or will it, like most plugins, have an independent development and update cycle? How will updates be distributed?

Thanks!

David
  • Options
    kodachi614kodachi614 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2010
    I just spent quite awhile struggling with publishing from LR3. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, as the major problem was having "Write keywords as Lightroom hierarchy" checked.

That still leaves it abysmally slow to update previously-published photos. This was true for Jeffrey Friedl's plugin and is still true with the SmugMug plugin; hard for me not to believe that this is a pretty significant problem on the SmugMug side. Any news on this front?

(I also really miss the ability that Jeffrey Friedl's plugin had to edit the caption during publishing. I can use his "Run any Command" plugin, but integrating this into the export would be faster and cleaner. However, the update speed is a much bigger deal.)
  • Options
    kidego32kidego32 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Lightroom 3 Publish Error
    Hello everyone,

When using the Lightroom 3 publish service, in the Create Gallery dialog when I select one of my custom settings in the Quick Settings dropdown, I get the following error:

"An internal error has occurred: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)"

I can't upload with any of my predefined settings. Workflow now is to publish the gallery, then go to SmugMug, find the just published gallery, and apply my settings.

Any idea how I can publish and have my settings applied in one step?
  • Options
    blockphotographyblockphotography Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2010
    Renaming madness
    I love the idea of this plugin - it brings the non-destructive/revision control system of Lightroom online. I've been having some issues with it that make it infuriating and virtually unusable, however.

What I want to do is sequence my photos in lightroom using the "user order" sorting method, then have lightroom re-name and re-number them as they are exported to SM so the file numbers correspond to the sequence I manually created and I can just set the SM gallery to sort by ascending file name/number. So I set the corresponding option in the SmugMug plugin, and this does indeed happen with the initial upload of images to each gallery. Sweet!

The problems begin when I attempt to re-publish photos after modifying them further in Lightroom...what I expect to happen is Lightroom and SmugMug to remember/figure out the filenames and numbers that were used for the images in the SM gallery, and renumber the re-published photo(s) so they occupy the same place in the sequence in the SM gallery. In practice this happens sometimes, but not always...it seems like when more than a few photos are re-published, and especially if those photos are not contiguous in the gallery and/or some number of the uploads timeout and fail (which happens nearly all the time), the re-published photos get renumbered starting from 1, completely borking the SM gallery sequencing. I'm not willing to manually re-arrange them, so the only solution I've found when this occurs is to wipe out the gallery and re-upload everything again.

...but because there are always some number of timeouts, and when I try to upload the timed-out files again they often have the issue described above, frequently I'm having to wipe out and re-upload the whole gallery multiple times before everything is finally in the right order. I did see issues similar to this described earlier in the thread, but I haven't heard anything about them for a while, and couldn't find a fix for them. If there isn't one I'll go back to my old workflow, as this has already wasted too much time.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    sb
  • Options
    sameerheresameerhere Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    I have thousands of photos already on smugmug. I am now using lightroom and smugmug plugin. Can i mark lightroom photos as already published using your plugin ? If i dont, then smugmug publish plugin will republish them to smugmug creating duplicates.
  • Options
    jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    So, I noticed that the smugmug publish feature doesn't have an option for output sharpening.... the publish to hard drive function has this.... Am I missing something?
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    There's a release candidate for LR3.3, and its release notes do not mention anything about any updates to the SmugMug plugin.

Again - what are plans for updates? How will they be distributed?
    Are there plans to distribute an update?