Options

>>> challenge 17 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 20, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Fun isn't it.

Charles - I took your advice and added a water kerploosh - still needs debris in water cleaned up, but is this any better? I don't think I will submit it upside down though......Laughing.gif

6351790-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    red bridge thing
    I don't know what a water kerbloosh is, but I like it with the colors and the lines.

It is definitely worth finishing out.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    6346250-Th.jpg
    Me too, Ginger, I'm glad your only allowed one submission....:D
    Very nice. Looks like a painting. Cool,very cool.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Very nice. Looks like a painting. Cool,very cool.
    I am awefully tempted to enter it, as it is nothing if not a reflection. Also there is a bit of interest in the couple walking along. (I guess I should rephrase that and say it is mostly a reflection, as there is at least one part that is "real".)

Anyway, I am completely tempted. I suppose this is a problem some people would envy, the only good part about it for me is that I can stop running all around trying to get an Andy picture. I can't seem to get to an Andy place, and on the way, I am definitely causing myself problems.

I might swap photos just to see how I feel about it.

The dogs woke me up. They did not stay up til 4 AM.

I need to back these photos up today, this computer does nothing but get worse.

ginger
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    gone fishin'
    i'm outta here from wed 7/21 thru sunday 7/25. if anybody needs any help, send a pm to sid (wxwax) or fish or any of the other mods.

mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Took this one on the weekend, I wasn't that keen, but its growing on me, needs a bit of PS but thats not allowed!

Gubb's, I still think that the British window is yours. But if you want to mess with this, I was amazed at what is allowed. Almost everything outside of photoshop.

So, what about levels, my favorite, or curves, everyone else's favorite?

I am not sure but that LAB might be allowed.

I think you can do something with that. I would play, but my computer wouldn't even let me copy that, I have had the blue screen a few minutes ago, am shut out of aol, just managed to get my last CD copied with my photos, hope I got them all. I did not have enough CDs to make more than one copy. And I don't know how to split the folders, the one of the rainbow and marsh was too big, so I kept deleting photos. Had to save most of it.

But only one backup, bothers me. I like to do two. I sure can't take any more pictures til I get more CDs

Anyway, I know I could get some more color and contrast in that photo with levels and saturation. I used to go to contrast, but a book said that was a terrible thing to do, who knows. Sometimes I am forgetting to sharpen, too.
    But the levels and saturation, I know those are allowed, and they even have separate colors to work with.

Still like the window.

g
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    levels, curve, lab all ok ...
    they fall into the standard adjustments category.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Gubb's, I still think that the British window is yours. But if you want to mess with this, I was amazed at what is allowed. Almost everything outside of photoshop.

So, what about levels, my favorite, or curves, everyone else's favorite?

I am not sure but that LAB might be allowed.

I think you can do something with that. I would play, but my computer wouldn't even let me copy that, I have had the blue screen a few minutes ago, am shut out of aol, just managed to get my last CD copied with my photos, hope I got them all. I did not have enough CDs to make more than one copy. And I don't know how to split the folders, the one of the rainbow and marsh was too big, so I kept deleting photos. Had to save most of it.

But only one backup, bothers me. I like to do two. I sure can't take any more pictures til I get more CDs

Anyway, I know I could get some more color and contrast in that photo with levels and saturation. I used to go to contrast, but a book said that was a terrible thing to do, who knows. Sometimes I am forgetting to sharpen, too.
    But the levels and saturation, I know those are allowed, and they even have separate colors to work with.

Still like the window.

g
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Charles - I took your advice and added a water kerploosh - still needs debris in water cleaned up, but is this any better? I don't think I will submit it upside down though......Laughing.gif

6351790-S.jpg
    Have to admit that I was thinking more of concentric ring ripples and of course you are pretty much stuck on the cleaning unless you have a pool sweep as PSing "verboten ist" Good timing on the splash. Was it from a burst?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Have to admit that I was thinking more of concentric ring ripples and of course you are pretty much stuck on the cleaning unless you have a pool sweep as PSing "verboten ist" Good timing on the splash. Was it from a burst?
    Nope - not a burst - just fortuitous lickout.gif- I have one with a ripple also - I'll try that and see how it goes.

I got these shortly after sunrise - the previous ones were near sunset - I am learning about he use of light after all. lickout.gif The light is much better balanced here - I did use fill flash on these also.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    Now I know what a Kerplosh is ...
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nope - not a burst - just fortuitous lickout.gif- I have one with a ripple also - I'll try that and see how it goes.

I got these shortly after sunrise - the previous ones were near sunset - I am learning about he use of light after all. lickout.gif The light is much better balanced here - I did use fill flash on these also.
    You did a good job with the fill, unless it didn't reach anything. Could have washed out the trees, smile.

On this light/reflection/pathways/whatever thing, I noticed that I feel like I am taking the same picture over and over again. As you said, now we are aware of light. I catch myself thinking, OK, now I have the light, but I have to wait, or find, a reflection.

ginger

I really like your photo
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    Way to go, ginger!!!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    that was really neat what you did with the puddle.

Thanks for the rating system. Just for kicks..........

6346250-S.jpg

Oh my doG! Ginger, you're killing me. Look what you've been up to while I was busy working. Just peeked in on my lunch hour, but couldn't help but say something. Yep, you've got a decision make. I knew it would lead to this. :) I love the bird. The reflection is not in the dead center, it's near the bottom. Maybe you could play with a little crop on the left. Not sure. I think I still like the rainbow best, though. But then there's this one too. Soooo beautiful, like a painting. I also like the lake shot with the palm trees. The diagonals of the shore lead my eye in. The palms, repetition, it's got nice balance. I think you'd have a tough time even narrowing it down to three. And then you'd be competing against yourself. What a happy dilemma. I'm so proud of you! What a fine job you've done with this challenge! clap.gif :encore clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Oh my doG! Ginger, you're killing me. Look what you've been up to while I was busy working. Just peeked in on my lunch hour, but couldn't help but say something. Yep, you've got a decision make. I knew it would lead to this. :) I love the bird. The reflection is not in the dead center, it's near the bottom. Maybe you could play with a little crop on the left. Not sure. I think I still like the rainbow best, though. But then there's this one too. Soooo beautiful, like a painting. I also like the lake shot with the palm trees. The diagonals of the shore lead my eye in. The palms, repetition, it's got nice balance. I think you'd have a tough time even narrowing it down to three. And then you'd be competing against yourself. What a happy dilemma. I'm so proud of you! What a fine job you've done with this challenge! clap.gif :encore clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

That's beautifully put thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    You did a good job with the fill, unless it didn't reach anything. Could have washed out the trees, smile.

On this light/reflection/pathways/whatever thing, I noticed that I feel like I am taking the same picture over and over again. As you said, now we are aware of light. I catch myself thinking, OK, now I have the light, but I have to wait, or find, a reflection.

ginger

I really like your photo
    I have a few frames with and without the flash so maybe I can tell if it really made a difference. I think it may open up the shadows of the bridge down near the water. If I can see a real difference I will try to post both frames for you to see and comment on.

Thank you for your compliment about my photo - that means a lot to me.

I think your rainbow is lovely. The rest of your reflections ae very nice and professionally done - and I mean this as a real compliment in that they are constructed in a workman like artful manner - - but the rainbow is a capture of a uniquely beautiful light - a light that you cannot just get everyday but that you did capture and record with your camera. Well done Ginger.lickout.gif

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

6351790-S.jpg

Pathfinder, I like this bridge shot a lot. I agree that some circular ripples from a "kerploosh" (splash-for ginger) would be nice. It's got a quiet moody look to it. Nice job on preserving the detail in the dark areas.
    thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    Please check out this rainbow, I put a bit of curves on it
    6375217-L.jpg

There is a double rainbow, I was trying to make that more evident. So I decided to dip my toe into Curves, hate them. I can see the bit of rainbow, the second one, to the left of the first, just barely, but I am concerned about what it did to the grass.

The variation in colors are in the original photo, though most of us think the marsh is green, smile, but I am concerned about the intensity. I asked my Corgi list, a good photographer, but somewhat of a purist, is on there.

So I come back from tennis, to the word, "fake" and the info that the rainbow is no more visible as a double.

I am a little confused as I was reading a mag this AM, and, in an ad, was a photo with the same deep, contrasty, unreal looking colors.

So I am just asking............which do you all like better, this rainbow, or my first one. My first one is still on the Challenge, and Andy posted a small copy of it last night.

What do you all think?

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    holy moly !
    ginger_55 wrote:
    6142092-S.jpg

6346250-S.jpg

6366544-S.jpg

they're all good ginger. i saw the rainbow, but i hadn't seen the other two.

nice work, girlie!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    Not eligible, probably not even good...
    ... but meaningful to me. Shot at the funeral reception of my 100+ year old grandmother about 2 years ago. I couldn't sleep for a couple of nights before and got lost in her bathroom with my camera. This wasn't really a sad death as these things go; she was 100+, at peace, still sharp, ready to go. A spiritual triumph really...

I've been thinking of shooting happier and technically better self portraits for this challenge...

1689716-L.jpg

1689715-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    Castle geyser, Yellowstone
    I was in Yellowstone for the last 4 days and couldn't get the #&*$* reflections thing off my mind. So this is just the first one you are likely to see.

6364971-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    Interesting shot with the mirrors in the bathroom. I took a great pnoto of myself at a wedding in the ladies lounge mirror. When you are the photographer, no one is taking photos of you and I really looked nice so I took one of myself. The geyser at yellowtone is great.

rutt wrote:
    ... but meaningful to me. Shot at the reception of my 100+ year old grandmother about 2 years ago. I couldn't sleep for a couple of nights before and got lost in her bathroom with my camera. This wasn't really a sad death as these things go; she was 100+, at peace, still sharp, ready to go. A spiritual triumph really...

I've been thinking of shooting happier and technically better portraits for this challenge...

1689716-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    Beaver pond, Yellowstone
    6385762-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    Very good Beaver pond, Rutt, the reflections are magnificent.

ginger (tennis AM)

Keep up the self portraits, too. I always enjoy those. The problem is that
    I rarely use a mirror to take mine, but you could, for now. How about a very casual rogue type, Rutt, or are you not, smile.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    6385762-S.jpg
    It is an excellent composition but it didn't quite do it for me. So I took
    a look at the full size image here and it seemed slightly out of focus and
    overly sharpened. Since you are dramatically reducing resolution from
    8.2mp down to 426kp (800x533) let me suggest not doing any sharpening
    until after the reduction. The sub-sampling will tighten up the focus on its
    own at least somewhat.

A crop from the full size image is attached.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    It is an excellent composition but it didn't quite do it for me. So I took
    a look at the full size image here and it seemed slightly out of focus and
    overly sharpened. Since you are dramatically reducing resolution from
    8.2mp down to 426kp (800x533) let me suggest not doing any sharpening
    until after the reduction. The sub-sampling will tighten up the focus on its
    own at least somewhat.

A crop from the full size image is attached.

Charles, I like your composition in the crop, Rutt's photo, it draws me in more, makes me want to be there. But the reflections are diminished.

ginger (what do you think on that?)
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Charles, I like your composition in the crop, Rutt's photo, it draws me in more, makes me want to be there. But the reflections are diminished.

ginger (what do you think on that?)
    Err... The point of my crop was not a new composition but to show the focus/sharpening that I was discussing. :twitch Mind you I am flattered that you liked my somewhat random composition biggrinbounce2.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    Hey Rutt, I really like that shot. Think it would pop more if the reflection was more vivid, and the trees had more contrast? Might give the image a greater sense of depth?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    I have a question that I posted on the page prior to this re my rainbow photo and a slight change I made.

It is on the page before this one, or just before that, no more than 2 pages back and maybe just one..

Please go look, the newer rainbow is the big one that I posted with my question, and the older one is the small one right below it in Andy's post.

Also the old one is still on the Challenge.

Please,
    ginger
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    Midway Geyser Basin
    8:30 pm

6384609-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    andy wrote:
    they're all good ginger. i saw the rainbow, but i hadn't seen the other two.

nice work, girlie!
    Those 3 are pretty amazing aren't they!

And Ginger... on my PB17 screen I think I prefer the 2nd Rainbow even though the doulble is still not that noticeable.

The flipped painting-like reflection is excellent and is still growing on me. You really do have three great shots, with the rainbow ahead by smidgen.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    8:30 pm

6384609-S.jpg
    Holy cow John is that a reflection!?! How about you (and Ginger) just skipping this challenge so us poor mortals can even have a chance for the final group. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    Midway Geyser Basin - 8:26 pm
    Another from Yellowstone

6384629-L.jpg
    If not now, when?