6384609-Th.jpg
    Very dramatic, lovely shot
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    8:30 pm

6384609-S.jpg

I love that shot, Rutt. I will leave it to the others to respond if that is QOL or reflection.

ginger (That isn't show is it?)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Nice shot but the other just blows me away
    But this one has more reflection, don't you think?

I like to cover myself on that one, and it is one reason I am hesitant on some of mine.

They both blow me away, smile.

g
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love that shot, Rutt. I will leave it to the others to respond if that is QOL or reflection.

6384609-Th.jpg

Oh, Andy? The sky is reflected in the mud basin and that is why it is the color it is instead of brown. So, in the name of benevolent transparency, is do you think this is on message?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    I might go with this...........

6393421-L.jpg

Gosh the "bow" comes all the way to the bottom. I darkened the foreground grass. (Slow as I am, I just learned how, did it on highlights at 20%) g
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

6393421-S.jpg

Gosh the "bow" comes all the way to the bottom. I darkened the foreground grass. (Slow as I am, I just learned how, did it on highlights at 20%) g
    It is clearly ok to play with levels and saturation but I am not sure
    if it is ok to dodge and burn (ie selectively lighten and darken). You
    might want to get an opinion from our fearless leader as to the no
    PS strictures.

My personal opinion is that you do not need to, as your shots are
    spectacular and shouldn't be turned into a PS project.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    6384609-Th.jpg

Oh, Andy? The sky is reflected in the mud basin and that is why it is the color it is instead of brown. So, in the name of benevolent transparency, is do you think this is on message?
    There is clearly reflection there. The clouds show that and the seemless transition from the mudflat to the full reflection is almost magical. I really think this is a clear fit to the category. And I am still blown away.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    The "wow" factor..
    rutt wrote:

6384609-S.jpg

Rutt,
    This one has it. That is definitely a reflection of the sky. I saw it immediately. The composition of this one is better. The sky is more dramatic. It really does it for me IMHO. For what it's worth. :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    Like the new rainbow...
    ginger_55 wrote:

6393421-S.jpg

Ginger,
    I think this is good. It doesn't look fake or anything like that. The change is very slight. It does bring out the second rainbow, which I never noticed in the first picture. I think it's OK to darken areas selectively. It's still minor adjustments. It's not "faking it" like many PS changes are. I think this is the best of the three. It is capturing a "moment". So is the bird, but this one has more to see for me and more color. In the bird shot, the sky and water in the background appear streaky or like a lot of horizontal lines on my monitor. It's just not as crisp and clear. It is also a great capture of a moment, but I just like the rainbow better. My opinion, of course. As I said before, all are great work. clap.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Ginger,
    I think this is good. It doesn't look fake or anything like that. The change is very slight. It does bring out the second rainbow, which I never noticed in the first picture. I think it's OK to darken areas selectively. It's still minor adjustments. It's not "faking it" like many PS changes are. I think this is the best of the three. It is capturing a "moment". So is the bird, but this one has more to see for me and more color. In the bird shot, the sky and water in the background appear streaky or like a lot of horizontal lines on my monitor. It's just not as crisp and clear. It is also a great capture of a moment, but I just like the rainbow better. My opinion, of course. As I said before, all are great work. clap.gif
    Ginger, are the originals (right out of the camera) available?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

The reflections of the clouds in the sea are so strong and dramatic that this has got to be eligible... ginger you could be in trouble here.
    again... lovely shot Rutt
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    It is clearly ok to play with levels and saturation but I am not sure
    if it is ok to dodge and burn (ie selectively lighten and darken). You
    might want to get an opinion from our fearless leader as to the no
    PS strictures.

My personal opinion is that you do not need to, as your shots are
    spectacular and shouldn't be turned into a PS project.
    Charles, our fearless leader skipped town.

OK, someone tell me if this is OK, to have darkened the folliage at the bottom.
    With the rules as open as they are, curves, etc. I figured that as long as we laid off of layers, we were OK.

It is not that important, I like it better this way, just want to know.......

This one has had very little ps, I backed off of curves, never went near layers, etc.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Ginger,

Thanks, Snappy, smile. I, of course, agree with you.
    It does not look like a fantasy, does not have a layer of color on top to put color in the sky. I just like it like this, but I can keep this version for me and do it the other way for the Challenge, if necessary.

Snappy, I only have one frame that I revolve my photos in. It is for 16 X 20s, which are expensive. More choices, Laughing.gif.
    I guess the choice would be between this photograph and the reflected one. This marsh has more meaning to me.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    This is the original
    I had to type original before the number to get it to show up to upload to smugmug, but this is the original. g

6398129-L.jpg
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Holy cow John is that a reflection!?! How about you (and Ginger) just skipping this challenge so us poor mortals can even have a chance for the final group. bowdown.gif
    WOW :)
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    I like Pathfinder's red bridge, too, and others
    I think Pathfinder has a great bridge, red, reflected. He made the shot, knew the scene, but he went back to make it work for him.

That is really good, all I did was shoot a rainbow....... Exciting for me, but not as creative. I had to kind of "show up" and stay there through the rain, the photography was the easier part.

And he is going to selectively clean up debris in the water.

ginger

Making trouble............
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    I can't believe that no one is posting. It is not that big a deal with me, I will enter the reflection picture.

Post, or not. I am soooooooo bored.

ginger
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    6384609-S.jpg

6346250-S.jpg

6152517-M.jpg

Just catching up to this thread. In my purely layman's opinion, these are the 3 that jumped off the screen when I first saw them, much like Lynne's "sand bath" last time. Great work from everyone!
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    Yet another Sunrise
    Cropped from one of my sunrise reflections

1271LuxEarly_c.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    re the reflection picture with house and couple, bright colors
    Thanks, I love that reflection image, purely, mostly, from an artistic standpoint.

I am proud of myself that I knew to do it, or even considered it. And to catch the people walking, well I am quite proud of that one. From a personal standpoint the rainbow, that marsh, and the experiences I have had there, including the last one, have a lot of meaning for me.

The reflection one is not an area I am fond of. I have seen it photographed quite alot, but never like I did. The only other time I have been there was a memorial for the dead, so my memories are not quite the same as the marsh.

This is an entirely different time of year, I cannot tell anyone how peaceful it was, a few joggers right after the rain, then the dog walkers, finally an elderly couple, too far away to photograph as elderly and then a few other pedestrians. It was so nice I think my husband hated to leave, too. He got out of the car for a few minutes and watched in peace and awe. Not normal for him. He used to live in that area, a little further towards the battery, the end of the peninsula that makes up Charleston.

Thank you for focusing on that photograph, I am very proud of it. I was stretched, as some would say. Not in the printing, I think, with the lighting and all, if I had the pictures, they printed themselves.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    WOW,

g
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    Tha Contender!
    gubbs wrote:
    The reflections of the clouds in the sea are so strong and dramatic that this has got to be eligible... ginger you could be in trouble here.
    again... lovely shot Rutt

I also really like this shot, strong composition, mechanics and compelling colors too. Will be hard to beat.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

thumb.gif Very nice shot and crop, cmr. That looks good.

I'm finding this assignment to be tortuous. For some reason my brain doesn't compute reflections. I must pass a million great ones every day, and they just fail to register. Aaaarrgggh. Here's another weak shot, two versions. No comments please, I know it's mediocre, especially compared to some of the good 'uns in this thread. *sigh* lol3.gif

6414768-M.jpg6414884-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    rutt wrote:

6384609-S.jpg

Outstanding! A home run, rutt.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    So, in the name of benevolent transparency, is do you think this is on message?

Andy's gone for a few days. I say there's no question whatsoever that this is about a reflection. And a mighty fine one at that.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

6393421-S.jpg

I'll be interested to hear Andy's ruling on dodging and burning, which are age old techniques. But Ginger, could you please walk me through how you did it, because it looks very nice?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    Of course it's a reflection...
    rutt wrote:

6384609-S.jpg

Come on folks, of course it's a reflection! Did you ever see silver mud with clouds in it? That's a wooden walkway across a mud flow. That's one heck of a bright sky reflecting on the wet mud. That's one hell, err uhh, heck of a great shot! What a moment! What a capture! Great job Rutt! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    It's great either way...
    wxwax wrote:
    I'll be interested to hear Andy's ruling on dodging and burning, which are age old techniques. But Ginger, could you please walk me through how you did it, because it looks very nice?

Ginger,
    Don't worry about darkening the bushes in the foreground. They don't detract anyway. And I still think it's allowed. You didn't clone in any bushes. The picture is still as you shot it. With just "adjustments" to brightness and color. If they don't think it's allowed, leave them as they were. It's marvelous either way. I great moment! A great shot! Don't get worked up over it. It's a winner! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 22, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I think Pathfinder has a great bridge, red, reflected. He made the shot, knew the scene, but he went back to make it work for him.

I had to kind of "show up" and stay there through the rain, the photography was the easier part.

And he is going to selectively clean up debris in the water.

ginger

Making trouble............
    I have returned Ginger with another try at my bridge..... Different kerploosh in this frame and I have included a tree trunk in the foreground also. Comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated. Does anyone think we need a grey scale like the one on dpreview? Like this??
    grayscale.gif

I like Rutts skyscapes from Yellowstone - they are gorgeous!

6417511-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin