Options

>>> challenge 17 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    re Framing, Tim, I am open, please clarify for me, so we are on the same page
    Shakey wrote:
    I second that ,nice shot Ginger!

Nit Pick Warning!
    Although not part of the picture the framing is nice. However where you put "Photography by ginger" ,it is to big and over runs the matting to the frame. Such a fine photo needs only that correction to more enhance its exquisiteness.

Tim

Great. nit pick away.......... I want to make sure I understand what you are saying though. Are you suggesting that only the photography by ginger should be removed, or that all writing should be removed. Or are you suggesting I can leave the frame and the title, and only remove the "signature" part.

Or would you suggest that I cut the size of the frame and have no words on it. I do like a frame, though I know others don't. I make my frames by % on the "canvas" part of the image thing. Right now the white is 9%, I can't print on it any smaller than that, but I could cut down to 7% or even 5% without type.

I want to make sure that I understand, that we are on the same page, so to speak.

Someone suggested that I darken it with curves. I did make a darker version that I could exchange for this one (I just made it with curves). I had everything darker last night, and I cut them back last night. I wanted to maintain the subtlety of the colors in the reflection. Doing anything else seems to detract from that.

I feel that picture is actually a photo of a very fragile event, for me it was anyway, and I preferred the more subtle treatment of everything, though I certainly did add a bit of levels, a bit of saturation, usually and a bit of contrast, just to tweak, anything else felt to me like I was detracting.

Since, while I was struggling with curves, I am not fond of them yet, they are not my strongest thing, but while I was struggling, you all were down here saying nice things with the only suggestion being the type.

So, I think, unless everyone thinks it should be darker, that I will leave the colors in their fragile state.

I have been trying to figure out what to do about the frame thing all of last challenge, so I appreciate your saying something, Tim, I just want to be clear on what you are saying. I do want a small black 1% line around my photos, and I do want some white also, after the black line. I am open to your thoughts, or clarification on what you were thinking, exactly, to improve the framing thing.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    Ginger what I am saying is that the "Photography by ginger" Font size is to large for the matting that you gave the picture , the lower parts of the "G"s P's and Y's extend past the matting through the drop shadow and into the frame So if you kept it exactly as is except make the font size for photography by ginger one or two sizes smaller.

Therefore keeping the lower parts of the lower case g's p's and y's still within the matting.

Hopefully I am articulating this okay.:D
    So my nit pick has nothing to do with the actual photo itself but with how you presented it.

It is like having a gourmet meal that is visually stunning served on a fantastic dinner plate that has a chip on it.ne_nau.gif
    The only reason I state this is... if you wish to preserve this great photo in this setting I am sure you would like it Perfect.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2004
    Thanks, Shakey
    Gotcha, Shakey. Thanks for clarifying. I shall rectify the situation.

Thanks, bunches, ginger

I don't make trouble, trouble makes me
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    i have mine in a signature brush... it's really easy. \

here's the link

ginger_55 wrote:

Great. nit pick away.......... I want to make sure I understand what you are saying though. Are you suggesting that only the photography by ginger should be removed, or that all writing should be removed. Or are you suggesting I can leave the frame and the title, and only remove the "signature" part.

Or would you suggest that I cut the size of the frame and have no words on it. I do like a frame, though I know others don't. I make my frames by % on the "canvas" part of the image thing. Right now the white is 9%, I can't print on it any smaller than that, but I could cut down to 7% or even 5% without type.

I want to make sure that I understand, that we are on the same page, so to speak.

Someone suggested that I darken it with curves. I did make a darker version that I could exchange for this one (I just made it with curves). I had everything darker last night, and I cut them back last night. I wanted to maintain the subtlety of the colors in the reflection. Doing anything else seems to detract from that.

I feel that picture is actually a photo of a very fragile event, for me it was anyway, and I preferred the more subtle treatment of everything, though I certainly did add a bit of levels, a bit of saturation, usually and a bit of contrast, just to tweak, anything else felt to me like I was detracting.

Since, while I was struggling with curves, I am not fond of them yet, they are not my strongest thing, but while I was struggling, you all were down here saying nice things with the only suggestion being the type.

So, I think, unless everyone thinks it should be darker, that I will leave the colors in their fragile state.

I have been trying to figure out what to do about the frame thing all of last challenge, so I appreciate your saying something, Tim, I just want to be clear on what you are saying. I do want a small black 1% line around my photos, and I do want some white also, after the black line. I am open to your thoughts, or clarification on what you were thinking, exactly, to improve the framing thing.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2004
    Bookmarked, thanks O benevolent one.:D clap.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    Sorry Reading station again...
    Had a spare 1/2 hour this evening before my daughters school play (talk about that later) so what do you think.. maybe a bit abstract?
    6150009-M.jpg

6149855-M.jpg
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Had a spare 1/2 hour this evening before my daughters school play (talk about that later) so what do you think.. maybe a bit abstract?
    Honestly, Gubbs, these kind of make me dizzy. (Boy, its hard to be critical without sounding like a jerk) Anyway, I know you've got better stuff up your sleeve. Maybe some tighter crops to simplify the compostion, not sure though.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    Home
    I flooded the garage footings :D

6152517-M.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 15, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Simone,
    How do you like this crop. It gets rid of the distracting part and plays up the refection/ symmetry card.
    I thought the same thing, that the lower one half of the image did not add anything and was distracting to the reflections above - I would have cropped even the top of the silver door frames too tho. "If an image is not really good, you haven't got close enough yet!" Laughing.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    I flooded the garage footings :D

6152517-Th.jpg
    Stan, that's a bit extreme its just a challenge :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    6150009-S.jpg

6149855-S.jpg

Gubbsie, seems to me that what would make the shots better is a focal point for us to look at. Looking at the two shots, I'm not sure where I should look first. Sorta like asking "what's the shot about?" Whaddya think?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Gubbsie, seems to me that what would make the shots better is a focal point for us to look at. Looking at the two shots, I'm not sure where I should look first. Sorta like asking "what's the shot about?" Whaddya think?
    Your right,
    I look at a picture for the first time and a pattern, a shape, or something (not even sure myself sometimes) appeals to me. Often I come back and look again and realize that its not enough and sometimes I need it pointing out...... Thanks Sid, I've got more coming, so bear with me :D
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 15, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Nice reflection, looks like there's another boat underwater. It's hard to imagine how the front of the boat got reflected.
    Yeah, this is really bothering me too...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Back from the Lake
    Here's one I got while visiting the outlaws in Idaho.
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Found This!
    Found this while not really looking for it.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    That 2nd one is cool Spockling.
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I thought the same thing, that the lower one half of the image did not add anything and was distracting to the reflections above - I would have cropped even the top of the silver door frames too tho. "If an image is not really good, you haven't got close enough yet!" Laughing.gif

Funny; did make the same crop! I've made some more today that i haven't looked at..maybe they're better. Thanks -you both- for the input! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Well this was a surprise, I was aiming for the cars reflected in the windows as I drove by, but the total reflection of the building is very interesting. The flowers are nice too. These are my first two attempts for this challenge. What do you think?

6175983-L.jpg

6175984-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    Such a nice surprise, Sandy!
    Sandy wrote:
    Well this was a surprise, I was aiming for the cars reflected in the windows as I drove by, but the total reflection of the building is very interesting. The flowers are nice too. These are my first two attempts for this challenge. What do you think?

6175983-S.jpg

Sandy, I like the building, isn't that kind of surprise nice, smile.
    I think that is a lot of the skill of photography, recognizing that
    you have a nice surprise. I noticed the building, didn't notice the
    cars til you mentioned them.
    A very nice picture, I like the colors.

ginger

(Oh, I am having PC problems, so if I am not posting to people, it is because I can't.)
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    to spockling
    spockling wrote:
    Found this while not really looking for it.
    You are almost there, Spockling. The first one, with the stones, trees and water?, I don't understand what is the reflection.

The next one I saw the reflection right off, that is the good part, the part I didn't like was that it kind of scared me with the color intensity. I guess maybe it took away from the reflection as I just couldn't get past the blue, smile.

But you are close and have the idea.

ginger

trouble and me
    I know there is a Tennessee Ernie Ford about "Trouble being my middle name" or something, maybe I am remembering it wrong.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    Go ahead, Stan, go for it! Don't stop now.........
    gubbs wrote:

Stan, you are a real artist! Sometimes we gotta do, what we just gotta do to make the "scene".

I like the picture, I think it was probably worth it. Today a Challenge, tomorrow............ and all because of a flood for good reason.

Ginger

I made a rainbow come to me to reflect. I am a rainbow "whisperer".
    Stan, we will change the world in the name of art.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    Thanks for the complement Ginger. I think you are also a skilled photographer.

QUOTE=ginger_55]
    Sandy wrote:

6175983-S.jpg

Sandy, I like the building, isn't that kind of surprise nice, smile.
    I think that is a lot of the skill of photography, recognizing that
    you have a nice surprise. I noticed the building, didn't notice the
    cars til you mentioned them.
    A very nice picture, I like the colors.

ginger

(Oh, I am having PC problems, so if I am not posting to people, it is because I can't.)
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

A rainbow "wisperer"! Oh, I love it. iloveyou.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, this is really bothering me too...
    How about 4 boats fully reflected? Steep bank!

6103202-S-1.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Number One for me
    Sandy wrote:

6175983-S.jpg

6175984-S.jpg

Sandy, I think the building is definitely the better of the two. It's more unique. The colors are great. It has a lot of interest.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

Stan, you are a real artist! Sometimes we gotta do, what we just gotta do to make the "scene".

I like the picture, I think it was probably worth it. Today a Challenge, tomorrow............ and all because of a flood for good reason.

Ginger

Thanks for the sentiment, unfortunately that's not what my builder thought when he saw what I had done rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    Great shot, I really like it. How convenient to have a flood during the reflections challenge.
    gubbs wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    6175983-S.jpg

I like this one as well. The colors and shapes work well together. You might want to play around with some crops to tweak it a bit. The picture might be stronger without the cars actually. Certainly worth playing around with a little.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    6175983-S.jpg
    6175984-S.jpg

Sandy, I like the colors and the reflection of the first one. The thing that might be missing is that what's being reflected might isn't all that interesting. Kinda of a standard building reflecting another standard building. But the light and the idea are great.

I think the flowers shot is further off. The composition isn't quite there, and the lighting is rather flat and harsh. Yikes, that sounds so mean. I'll be sure to post pics so you can jump all over my stuff too!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2004
    Thanks Wxwaxy, that's what the forum is for. I can take it, this is only my first two trys. I'm sure to see something better soon.

wxwax wrote:
    Sandy, I like the colors and the reflection of the first one. The thing that might be missing is that what's being reflected might isn't all that interesting. Kinda of a standard building reflecting another standard building. But the light and the idea are great.

I think the flowers shot is further off. The composition isn't quite there, and the lighting is rather flat and harsh. Yikes, that sounds so mean. I'll be sure to post pics so you can jump all over my stuff too!