Options

>>> challenge 17 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2004
    Child's sled in a reflective place
    6267480-L.jpg

It is about to rain here, a storm. My husband says no way is he going out.
    And the computer said I had to put a message here, so this is it.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

g
    I like the colors and textures Ginger. Also like the frame. Maybe I should give them a try as well.

Here is another boat reflection I'm considering. I still don't think I found that special shot yet. Maybe next week.

"Hanging Boat"
    6267312-L.jpg

Still looking for something reflective.....
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2004
    Where does one get the templates for frames? There are some in Photo Impressions, but the frames used here are much nicer.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2004
    How I make my drop shadow frames........
    I am using a drop shadow effect that is on Elements, it is not on ps 7, that I know of. I finish the photo in ps 7, then close 7 and open up elements. I put a black line around the image, I like to hold it together that way. I do that under Image, size, to canvas, check the box that says relative, change the inch thing to percent and put 1 for the black line. The box with the colors, fore and background has to have the color to be used on the bottom or the background.
    Then I click OK, and I have a black line around the image, then I do the same thing except before I start, I change the background color to white on the color boxes, then I go image to size to canvas, change inches to percent, make sure relative box is checked and this time I put 9 in the the size thing. (That is for the white that is now in the background position.) Then I click OK. and I have a small black line around the image, no one notices probably, and I have larger white "frame" around the image.

I click on windows up at the top, go down to "effects", click on that, a pop down thing comes down I scroll til I get to drop shadow, I click on that and drag it over to the photo, that is kind of neat, I just click in the middle, and I keep my cursor clicked down as I move it over to the image in the middle, and I let go of the mouse then and watch as the drop shadow forms.

Then I put type in, because I like it. Cletus just had a very half hearted tutorial on doing type. I am still a beginner at that, just fooling around, so I will let someone else tell you about that. Maybe someone can do a whole tutorial on it.

On the frame itself, I arrive at the same place others do in an entirely different way, since I have Elements on my computer, as well as photoshop.
    I think there is a tutorial somewhere on doing it with layers and ps. That seems too confusing to me, I think it is one thing that Elements does easier, smile.

ginger
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2004
    Templates
    Sandy wrote:
    Where does one get the templates for frames? There are some in Photo Impressions, but the frames used here are much nicer.

Sandy,
    I have been getting them from Jasc Paint Shop Pro. I only recently got the program as a gift. It's not expensive. It has one button stuff for borders and frames. I just discovered it has curves on an easy one click drop down menue. I separates the image into three black and white layers and cascades them on the screen. One each for Red, Green, and Blue. The problem is, I don't have a clue what to do with them. I'll have to get out the book.

Oh yeah, I just got the book I ordered from Amazon, The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 2. Got it in yesterdays mail. Opened it this morning. It has a CD in it that unlocks some tools that were hidden in Elements, including curves. I think it adds some tools too. Anyway, I have a lot of reading to do.

I have made simple frames by using the resize canvas tool and a drop shadow. Andy did a brief tutorial for ginger on that recently. It's in here somewhere. Here..http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=7101852
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2004
    My Yorkshire Terrier Caitlin, or Katie.........
    reflected in the mirror I bought today. She was not in focus, but it was such a good picture of her, I worked with it. It is a true reflection, and I would have submitted it, if I had not had the rainbow. 5 lbs of Alpha............ true alpha, a benevolent ruler, I call her the supervisor. She sleeps with me and always has.

6276052-M.jpg

I made it a medium, I thought, because it is a soft picture of her. I would have ruined it, if I had moved, she would have moved, too.

I might still need to touchup a bit. I just did. She just has her alert expression there that she never has for the camera. I don't care if it is a bit soft. I bought the frame this AM for 25.00. It is not old, but I noticed that it did photograph well when I was at the antique store the other day.

I liked this crop and was working with it. I have developed a sense of humor over the devastation wrought by my other Corgis, before Merry Chapel. And I enjoy the contrast between the havoc of the wall and the dignity of Katie.
    This is the photo crop that I did not finish.

6275097-M.jpg

On the one I finished, I lessened the yellow cast a bit.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2004
    Thanks, Thomas, my sled and his boat.......
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I like the colors and textures Ginger. Also like the frame. Maybe I should give them a try as well.

Here is another boat reflection I'm considering. I still don't think I found that special shot yet. Maybe next week.

"Hanging Boat"

Still looking for something reflective.....
    Hi, Thomas, interesting boat. Yes, we all have another week to go on this Challenge, so plugging away is good learning stuff. I did not get out of the neighborhood today, but I still have hopes for an "Andy" photo. I liked his one reflection better than his examples.

On the sled's colors, yes, I like them more every time I look at it. Keeps reminding me of how I think color photography often should be. Unless, of course, it is a softer more neutral mood.

I love bright colors in photography, rarely think of them when I am taking pictures. Those were actually brought out quite a bit in levels and saturation, plus sharpening.

The type is Comic Sans, or something like that. I have always liked that font for just writing, and I thought it would be good with a child's sled.

Thank you for the nice words. I like your boat, but I wouldn't stop yet, either.

Smile, ginger
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Keeps reminding me of how I think color photography often should be. Unless, of course, it is a softer more neutral mood.

I love bright colors in photography, rarely think of them when I am taking pictures.
    Smile, ginger
    Alright Ginger - Here is some bright color for you complete with reflections. I am posting this for critque and comments by you and the other viewers. Too bright, too dark, just boring, been done before, or worth working at!!!Laughing.giflickout.gificon10.gif
    6296885-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    Twisting the definition of reflection
    ginger_55 wrote:
    too bad he is just a reflection.

6213457-L.jpg

Sorry your horse isn't real. OK, just for grins. Reflection in the way an offspring can echo a parent.

6246764-M.jpg

OK, I'll have to go find a real reflection. :D
  • Options
    Steve LearSteve Lear Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    I flooded the garage footings :D

6152517-M.jpg
    Stan, This is a beauty! I like the colour composition and content.
    Any chance of a bit of technical info?

Steve.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    6267480-S.jpg

g
    I really like the colors and the textures but am left hungry for a wider view. Perhaps a crop that is either less tight or maybe straying to the more abstract with a panoramic slice. (some random thoughts)
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Alright Ginger - Here is some bright color for you complete with reflections. I am posting this for critque and comments by you and the other viewers. Too bright, too dark, just boring, been done before, or worth working at!!!Laughing.giflickout.gificon10.gif
    6296885-S.jpg
    Could be brighter but then some of the mystery would go. I do not know if you can go back there but one thing that might take it out of the ordinary would be some ripples from one (or three) small pebbles thrown just before shooting. Maybe it wouldn't work but maybe...
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I forgot to post the one i personally like best 11doh.gif (..freakin' time difference..)
    Here it is, what do you think?

6223434-S.jpg
    Are the light spots on the 3 escalators the reflections? I think that the picture itself is very nicely done but I am not sure if the reflections are enough of a fit to the theme. Maybe to my eye I see it as more a QoL shot. It is a great shot thiugh and I am curious to see it in color.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    Reflections in a Pot
    Here are a couple of crops from a shot at a street fair on Saturday. I took several 'reflection' shots and this will be the first for comment. I like my Vegas sunrise (in the submissions thread) better than any of these but am certainly open for critques and suggestions. (feel free to dl these to make smaller images for cropping and/or replying)

1564potRefl_cs.jpg

1564potRefl_c3_s.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    Assortment
    More 'reflection' shots for comment. I like my Vegas sunrise (in the submissions thread) better than any of these but am certainly open for critques and suggestions. (feel free to dl these to make smaller images for cropping and/or replying)

Buying earrings...
    1566EarRefl_cs.jpg

Window...
    1691WinRefl_sat_s.jpg

Java
    1751javaRefl_s.jpg

Mirror (and yes this is correctly oriented)
    1771handRefl_s.jpg

Sa-chan
    1781sachanRefl_cs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Could be brighter but then some of the mystery would go. I do not know if you can go back there but one thing that might take it out of the ordinary would be some ripples from one (or three) small pebbles thrown just before shooting. Maybe it wouldn't work but maybe...
    I thought about the darkness,but on my monitor at home it is not too dark, altho at work it is borderline. The exposure times were were generally several seconds so I hesitated with ripples as I thought they just might be a blur. I may try this shot again later. I have a different shot with a ripple, but again thought it was too dark because it was backlit.

6296882-L.jpg

• Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I thought about the darkness,but on my monitor at home it is not too dark, altho at work it is borderline. The exposure times were were generally sevearl seconds so I hesitated with ripples as I thought they just might be a blur. I may try this shot again later. I hava a different shot with a ripple, but again thought it was too dark becasue it was backlit.

6296882-S.jpg
    This is nice too.... maybe I like it better than the first, not because of the ripple but because of the layering.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    Steve Lear wrote:
    Stan, This is a beauty! I like the colour composition and content.
    Any chance of a bit of technical info?

Steve.
    Stan, I like it as well. The wooden post on the left bothers me,would consider a slight left crop , otherwise very nice.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Stan, I like it as well. The wooden post on the left bothers me,would consider a slight left crop , otherwise very nice.
    and I would like to see a little sky above the chimney extension but it is a very small nit about an excellent shot.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I thought about the darkness,but on my monitor at home it is not too dark, altho at work it is borderline. The exposure times were were generally sevearl seconds so I hesitated with ripples as I thought they just might be a blur. I may try this shot again later. I hava a different shot with a ripple, but again thought it was too dark becasue it was backlit.

6296882-S.jpg

I love the composition here. I am not crazy about the other one, don't know why.

I don't think I have a different shot of that sled with more in a horizontal shot. I was disappointed with her darn windows and the reflections which had seemed better before the callenge started.

I like the sunrise shot best, too, so far.

I don't even remember who I am talking to, am just awake a bit, but those are my thoughts off hand.

I do like this shot better than the other one. No way to bring up the color/details? LAB curves?

ginger
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    The only reflection I have at this point. I will go hunting for more today if I can.

6286459-M.jpg

Tim
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    The light is so nice and soft in his driveway full of water - I like it too, but would crop or clone out the wooden post also.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love the composition here. I am not crazy about the other one, don't know why.

I don't think I have a different shot of that sled with more in a horizontal shot. I was disappointed with her darn windows and the reflections which had seemed better before the callenge started.

I like the sunrise shot best, too, so far.

I don't even remember who I am talking to, am just awake a bit, but those are my thoughts off hand.

I do like this shot better than the other one. No way to bring up the color/details? LAB curves?

ginger
    I think maybe the reason the composition works here is the preponderance of horizontal lines creates a sense of calm that you do not get with the previous diagonal composition. I am a big fan of diagonals, but for this pastoral scene horizontals may be better as you noted Ginger.

The 2nd bridge picture is back lit and the shooting postion is fully surrounded overhead by trees, so it is hard to balance the lighting. I will go back and shoot in RAW and try to create two versions and then layer them if this does not violate Andy's NO PS line - I am not adding a reflection with PS, just trying to solve exposure challenges maybe. Might even try a flash shot or two.. hmmm. Maybe I should try this shot at sunrise also to avoid the backlit problem entirely. I'll keep working at it. Maybe it is wrothwhile after all.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I really like the colors and the textures but am left hungry for a wider view. Perhaps a crop that is either less tight or maybe straying to the more abstract with a panoramic slice. (some random thoughts)
    6267480-S.jpg

I like this a lot - not sure I would change it - I like the tight cropping here and the texture and color. Lovely.lickout.gif

• Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Here are a couple of crops from a shot at a street fair on Saturday. I took several 'reflection' shots and this will be the first for comment. I like my Vegas sunrise (in the submissions thread) better than any of these but am certainly open for critques and suggestions. (feel free to dl these to make smaller images for cropping and/or replying)

1564potRefl_cs.jpg

1564potRefl_c3_s.jpg
    These just strike me as blurred and out of focus - I know that was a consequence of the reflecting surface ( and NOT a technical mistake), but, for me, I do not think it works that well. Too pastel also. More satuaration maybe? Not sure what the center of interest is either - kind of visually confusing to me. I like your later images a little better, but I think your sunrise in Vegas is great and the best by far! Much more dramatic and arresting.

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 19, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    The only reflection I have at this point. I will go hunting for more today if I can.

6286459-M.jpg

Tim
    I like it. I've had a lot of cool reflections from sunglasses - they give that cool distorted kind of reflection.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

6286459-M.jpg

Tim
    Tim - I would crop this a LOT to focus attention on the glasses - and I would lighten the reflection a little and darken the hood quite a bit. Maybe something like this - I may have desaturated the reflection too much, but I did not use the original file - just my two cents worthLaughing.gif

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    A couple from Windsor at lunchtime today

6313209-L.jpg

6313433-L.jpg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    and one more of the bus
    6313722-L.jpg
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    I like the store window very much. It looks good to me just the way it is.
    gubbs wrote:
    A couple from Windsor at lunchtime today

6313433-L.jpg