Options

>>> challenge 17 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    Store window, windows and time of day.......
    Gubbs. I agree with Sandy, I like the store window best, hehe. Maybe it is just because I am chasing the "Andy Christmas" photo, probably his reflection of a lifetime, hehe. Maybe the only one he ever got, hehe. (Maybe that will bring him out of his cave with more info)

I was going out, but got stuck messing with the computer. Did you do that store window at around noon your time? What kind of lighting are you all getting your window reflections?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    New Look, I like it
    What else can I say, I like the work you all have been doing, and the previous challenge winner's photo displayed.

I will say that with Lynnesite's horse, we look very classy, indeed.

Also I like the new copy. But would like some brilliant thoughts, or whatever the category was.

ginger

Thanks, all!
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Gubbs. I agree with Sandy, I like the store window best, hehe. Maybe it is just because I am chasing the "Andy Christmas" photo, probably his reflection of a lifetime, hehe. Maybe the only one he ever got, hehe. (Maybe that will bring him out of his cave with more info)

I was going out, but got stuck messing with the computer. Did you do that store window at around noon your time? What kind of lighting are you all getting your window reflections?

ginger
    Thanks Sandy & Ginger, taken about 13:30, slightly cloudy...
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    A couple from Windsor at lunchtime today

6313433-M.jpg

I like the superimposition of the building on the products a lot, Gubbs! Nice composition and exposure. Very appealing.

Lynne
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    Teacups are beautiful...
    ginger_55 wrote:

Andy, anyone, I like my china reflected in the silver......... I really think it is a good shot, tell me what you all think. Here it is again. Maybe I will make it a medium.

6213471-S.jpg

I will critique it, defend it, explain my thinking, whatever. Then you all tell me what you were thinking. Since it was not mentioned, I assume that it just didn't do it for anyone. First off, I do not have, like or use good china, or anything resembling this. I like substance. But esthetically, I like the china as it is reflected in the silver tray behind it. I have about 6 shots, or more, so I know what it looks like tighter, and I like this shot best. Enough of the china, no distortion, all is in focus, etc. I even like the little touch of the price tag. The subject of the photo would only invoke feelings, if one were to feel that the use of china like this is from a by gone, less busy, time.

I really like this photo, and I have said why.

ginger

Ginger,
    I like the teacups and tray shot. It really has the "antique" look. The colors are so soft and yellowed. I like the price tag too. It tells the viewer it's an antique shop. I'm sorry I forgot to comment on this before. You are really going above and beyond on this. Your entry is in already and it's really a winner. But, you are stretching yourself. That's great! Who knows, you may come up with an even better shot and then have to make a decision. Good hunting.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    and one more of the bus
    Hey Gubbs, I like this one the best. I like how the horizontal windows correlate with the horizontal sidewalk scene. Your buses and buildings look quite different than ours. Or should I say Y'alls buses and.......
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    Steve Lear wrote:
    Stan, This is a beauty! I like the colour composition and content.
    Any chance of a bit of technical info?

Steve.

Thanks for the complement

Jpeg format full auto on the 300D (D.Rebel) F4.5, ISO100, Exposure 1/2000 sec focal length 18.0mm.

A hose pipe and about 5mm of water over the concrete pad for my garage floor
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    and one more of the bus
    6313722-S.jpg

I like the shop window, but this one as well!!! Like the colors and the benches going the same way as my view into the picture; nice! And hey; i've seen those benches before! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    Great Photo Gubbs, or good, and same, Lynne!
    lynnesite wrote:
    I like the superimposition of the building on the products a lot, Gubbs! Nice composition and exposure. Very appealing.

Lynne
    Yes, Lynne, I have already posted that I like that, but I want to post again on it, as it is the photo I have been chasing.

It is not as good as Andy's IMO, but it is as good as I would get, until I reached the magical moment that Andy did. I love the British feeling bldg in the background. I am going downtown now, as it is too late to do anything else, but congrats, Gubbs, I love that photo, best anyway.

Lynne, I did not comment on your reflections, mother and daughter, or whatever sex. I thought it was great. And Andy did say to interpret reflections in different ways, gave the example of old lady showing photo albums to grandchild, or whatever.

Problem is, Lynn, I have been hit before for saying this, but I would stand on my principals and do what I wanted to do, particularly since you are a successful accomplished winner. I don't think the photo would win. I am not sure it would be picked. Now if you could get the same photo from the front, or where it was really obvious of the relationship, physically, in posture, I am sure it would be picked.

I do like it, and I like the idea even more. If you have some water around you could get them to do it next to the water with a reflection, and all bases would be covered.

No, I am not trying to discourage anyone, I am trying to encourage, and I, myself, am trying to stand on what I think. This is an art, subjective.

I think Lynn should enter whatever she wants to, but for goodness sake enter.

More later, if heat and flames, gotta go, am getting heat and flames to get off the computer (from husband).

Gotta, go,
    g
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    British time and my time........Laughing.gif
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks Sandy & Ginger, taken about 13:30, slightly cloudy...
    Thanks Gubbs, but 13:30????

I am sorry to be so provincial, but that is something I cannot convert. Just think it is funny.

Could someone translate, will grab the info when I get back.

g
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    1:30 pm, I think the clock says 1:05 pm but I'm not sure with the reflection
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Stan, I like it as well. The wooden post on the left bothers me,would consider a slight left crop , otherwise very nice.

That will be the door when the wall goes up, I did nothing to the shot just reduced the size in save for web, so unfortunately I cannot regain any more sky without reflooding and taking the photo again, but then with the rain we are getting at the moment it shouldn't matter much :D
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Stan, I like it as well. The wooden post on the left bothers me,would consider a slight left crop , otherwise very nice.

Thank you for the interest.
    That will be the door when the wall goes up, I did nothing to the shot just reduced the size in save for web, so unfortunately I cannot regain any more sky without reflooding and taking the photo again, but then with the rain we are getting at the moment it shouldn't matter much :D
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks Gubbs, but 13:30????

I am sorry to be so provincial, but that is something I cannot convert. Just think it is funny.

Could someone translate, will grab the info when I get back.

g
    that should be 1:30 pm in our lingo, ginger.
    aka Military time or 24 hr time. 2am = 0200 hrs, 12 noon = 1200 hrs, 5pm=1700hrs etc.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Lynne, I did not comment on your reflections, mother and daughter, or whatever sex. I thought it was great. And Andy did say to interpret reflections in different ways, gave the example of old lady showing photo albums to grandchild, or whatever.
    <snip>
    Problem is, Lynn, I have been hit before for saying this, but I would stand on my principals and do what I wanted to do, particularly since you are a successful accomplished winner. I don't think the photo would win. I am not sure it would be picked. Now if you could get the same photo from the front, or where it was really obvious of the relationship, physically, in posture, I am sure it would be picked.
    g

Hey, Ginger, it was just a joke (thought I said it was for fun), never intended to enter it or anything like it. Just an exercise in Thinking Different(ly)!

regards,
    Lynne
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Ginger,
    I like the teacups and tray shot. It really has the "antique" look. The colors are so soft and yellowed. I like the price tag too. It tells the viewer it's an antique shop. I'm sorry I forgot to comment on this before. You are really going above and beyond on this. Your entry is in already and it's really a winner. But, you are stretching yourself. That's great! Who knows, you may come up with an even better shot and then have to make a decision. Good hunting.

I've got more, and I never got beyond the Marina and Colonial Lake. Bill had to get home. But I have more than I need, smile.

And, Gubbs, I still don't have Andy's shot. You are closest, I really like yours. No matter what I would do, I would not get that British architecture. That is a plus for you right there.

I would enter that one, really would. I am never going to get beyond being an outdoor, mostly nature photographer. Don't know what I will do when I turn 65, lol. And that is in November, that is OLD.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    dGrin has been difficult for me to access the last few minutes
    I do know that some of you were talking about that on another thread the other day.

I am afraid to go to another thread to tell anyone this, as I keep getting notices that you don't exist, or something like that.

Both in the immediate access, and when I try to open anything here.

I know some of this is new, and it looks great. Thought there might be a kink or something.

Going to upload some more pictures for my hard drive.

ginger
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    I'm going with the photo of the dog for the challenge, but this reflection of the palm trees is kind of interesting too.

6330189-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    Please tell me what you think of this
    Is it a bird, or is it a reflection. Would it fit the reflection category. If so, should it be cropped. I can't make myself do it, yet the bird, and the reflection are centered. The color to the left from after a storm and an evening sky is nice, yet the bird has made a path with its beak on the right side, to the center, and I would hate to cut that out.

Also, does anyone know what kind of bird it is?

6331622-L.jpg

Photography by ginger

I don't make trouble, trouble makes me.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    I think the whole picture is beautiful. I wouldn't crop it. Possibly the bird is a Heron?

ginger_55 wrote:
    Is it a bird, or is it a reflection. Would it fit the reflection category. If so, should it be cropped. I can't make myself do it, yet the bird, and the reflection are centered. The color to the left from after a storm and an evening sky is nice, yet the bird has made a path with its beak on the right side, to the center, and I would hate to cut that out.

Also, does anyone know what kind of bird it is?

6331622-L.jpg

Photography by ginger

I don't make trouble, trouble makes me.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    More reflections from downtown Charleston, SC, the peninsula anyway.
    Thanks, Sandy. No it is not a heron, I don't think. My bookcase with the bird book is blocked by a dog crate.............

But now I have the problem that was predicted, what to enter. I can't decide among mine, how am I going to choose a winner?

I also picked up these. For me the bird is a once in a lifetime thing, that bird, but I like these shots, too. So I am going to put them up, too. Maybe a medium size. I shot them all in a short period of time. Went all around the lake, but my husband was in the car, wanted to get home. He kept saying that even trying was silly, as there was nothing to shoot. Huh, the light changed.

It is Colonial Lake and old houses, I meantioned the other day that it would be easy to shoot, it is not, exactly. But I did alright. Maybe someone would like to buy one for the challenge, Laughing.gif. Kidding! They are all my babies, and all fit the criteria, I think.

6336542-M.jpg

6336552-M.jpg

6336554-M.jpg

6336556-M.jpg

6336550-M.jpg

This last one might be my favorite..................a rain puddle, the old house, the light, everything came together, but I had to see it. It was not as obvious as the lake. I saw it as I was returning to the car.

I am not taking any more reflections..........too painful to have to choose.

ginger

I guess I do make trouble for myself sometimes.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    Ginger, I think the strongest shot is the second one, below. I also like your rainbow entry. Perhaps it's a Tern.

6336552-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Ginger, I think the strongest shot is the second one, below. I also like your rainbow entry. Perhaps it's a Tern.

6336552-S.jpg

Thanks, Sandy. It is certainly a classic as far as reflections are concerned.
    I think I will wait to see what others have to say. I am really not taking any more reflection photos. I seem to be able to get them just by showing up, a phrase I have been using about photography for a long time. I have not been to Colonial Lake since we went to a memorial service for dead relatives in the very early 90s. I ended up buying a candle for my dog who had died, too, and I cried my eyes out.

But the important thing is that I went there today, and pictures rained on me.

I was so sure on the rainbow, hoped it would be picked, did not think it would win, but .................... now I don't know what to do.

Everybody, please chime in here. Rainbow, bird, or Colonial Lake?

ginger
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

I was so sure on the rainbow, hoped it would be picked, did not think it would win, but .................... now I don't know what to do.

Everybody, please chime in here. Rainbow, bird, or Colonial Lake?

ginger
    #1 Rainbow

#2 bird

#5 Lake

Scale of how I like them.

BTW: I love to play in puddles Laughing.gif
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    Reflections
    that was really neat what you did with the puddle.

Thanks for the rating system. Just for kicks..........

6346250-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    Ginger,
    Do you ever sleep, you may be 65 in November but you seem to have so much energy.... :D
    The bird is excellent, I think the rainbow still has it but its close. I agree you shouldn't lose the beak trail, you might get away with cropping it slightly though?
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

6346250-S.jpg

Just for kicks???? I love this one!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    6346250-Th.jpg
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Just for kicks???? I love this one!!! clap.gif
    Me too, Ginger, I'm glad your only allowed one submission....:D
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2004
    Took this one on the weekend, I wasn't that keen, but its growing on me, needs a bit of PS but thats not allowed!
    6315673-M.jpg
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

6346250-S.jpg
    Fun isn't it.

Twisting things can always give you a fresh viewpoint and I am pretty sure that rotations are allowed by the rules since they do not actually change the image.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph