Another Try
    Here's another try at the same pic.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    Spockling, you tried
    spockling wrote:
    Here's another try at the same pic.
    I know the color is toned down, but it doesn't help, one, the blur, or something distracts me, and, two, it doesn't draw me in, it doesn't interest me, nothing is in focus, don't know that it has to be, but that seems to be a factor in your photo. May be an element to think about in this Challenge.

The thing you are doing good is you do have a focus there, an idea........
    a center.

I like that. You have a week, or more, to keep looking. If the sun comes out and I can stay awake, I may look around a bit after tennis this AM.

Happy hunting for all.

ginger

I don't make trouble, trouble makes me.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    Is it 'reflections'
    So does something like this meet the strictures? What do you all think of it?

1170VegasStrip.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    Try to get a handle on this......
    You all appear stuck on the reflection thing. Find windows, or a puddle of water after the rain. Walk around the windows, look to see what it reflects, hoping, of course, that it is not you, unless you want it to be.

What Andy seems to have done, imo, and Spockling is getting there, also the strangely reflecting boats, haha, they have a focus, a center.....

I am certainly not someone to tell anyone what to do. I hope to try windows myself this AM, but not downtown or anywhere. I am lucky at where I am going, but the other night when the storm was coming, I was thinking, "are there night reflections in Barnes and Noble windows?", if there were eithr the reflection, or the reflected would be the "subject".

I am sorry, I have to run, and I don't think I have said this well. Hey, you all could try flooding your, I am not sure what he flooded, but any flood where there is light might work. Stan did it. Ask him.

love you all,
    ginger
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Thanks Wxwaxy, that's what the forum is for. I can take it, this is only my first two trys. I'm sure to see something better soon.
    thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

ne_nau.gif Can't see that pic, even cutting and pasting the link.

EDIT: I see it now, thanks Charles.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 16, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Found this while not really looking for it.
    Hey Spockling: (in reference to the "second" photo of the reflection on a watch, i think) I feel like its needs focus somewhere. From my own tries, I know how hard this with reflections, but I just feel like the whole thing is fuzzy and I don't where to concentrate in the shot. Cool colors for sure. I guess it may be impossible to get that shot again too.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    here's an attempt: i was going for the reflection of the driveway gravel, and I got a cool distortion of myself and our house. I love chrome!

6203357-M.jpg

i do have a particular thing I was struggling with. the driveway below the bumper is in the original shot, but i upped the shadows (RAW conversion - no layers or anything, i'm loving this "minimal" ps rule) and contrast to kind of make them dark and disappear. do you like or dislike that?
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    Lion
    This is a crop.

1237Lion_c.jpg
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

1170VegasStrip.jpg

I think it's a really good image nighttime image of the Strip, but "reflections" isn't the primary focus, the brakelights onto the ground. My eye is drawn to the cars as a whole between the lit-up buildings. The theme element needs to be "in your face" like the mirrored boats (which I really love with the curves adjusted).
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    This is a crop.
    like the gold reflections, although have to admit, had a hard time figuring out what it was at first. maybe a little less of a crop?
    Erik

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    here's an attempt: i was going for the reflection of the driveway gravel, and I got a cool distortion of myself and our house. I love chrome!

i do have a particular thing I was struggling with. the driveway below the bumper is in the original shot, but i upped the shadows (RAW conversion - no layers or anything, i'm loving this "minimal" ps rule) and contrast to kind of make them dark and disappear. do you like or dislike that?
    I like the darkness at the bottom, I think it adds to the abstractness of the shot, which I like. I like the way you look at the texture and curves first, and then only later do you say, "hey, thats a car bumper".
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    like the gold reflections, although have to admit, had a hard time figuring out what it was at first. maybe a little less of a crop?
    Here is the whole thing. I am happy to receive cropping suggestions.

1237LionUncropped.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    well, i just don't know what to do with that lion. that blown building makes it tough... and otherwise, i still felt there wasn't enough there. but what do i know.
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    well, i just don't know what to do with that lion. that blown building makes it tough... and otherwise, i still felt there wasn't enough there. but what do i know.
    Which is how I arrived at the first crop...
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    This is a crop.

The cropped lion I love, more importantly the sunrise over Vagas is gorgeous and all the better for not opening the window rolleyes1.gif

Were you in a lift (elevator)? because I think I can see a reflection in the lower right quarter bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    I got me a horse, too.....
    too bad he is just a reflection.

6213457-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    Andy mentioned tea cups
    so I got him some, I think. Maybe they are coffee cups.

6213471-L.jpg

All by ginger

I don't make trouble, trouble makes me.

Comments appreciated, hehe, I am too far away to throw rocks and stones. I can take it anyway..............Yeah Right! Just another Challenge!
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

6203357-M.jpg

I got the house in the windscreen, 6152516-M.jpg

no chrome here, nice melting ice feel to yours thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2004
    Challenge Entries
    Snappy, I love your entry to the challenge. You handled the escalators and reflections very well.

I also loved the sunrise, or set, over Vegas. Sorry, my brain has parted ways with me as to who did it. But did want to sayt hat it is a great shot.

ginger

I don't make trouble, trouble makes me
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    Oh no..Snappy got the escalator-pic! (nice one, by the way!) I went back to that mall to make some more, but now..what to do? headscratch.gif I'll post it anyway here; i went through a lot of rain to make it, haha!

6223431-L.jpg

Another attempt at the airport building here in Kuala Lumpur;

6223432-L.jpg

Sid, please tell me i learned from your comment! :D

And another one; reflection in water on the street

6223430-L.jpg
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    I forgot to post the one i personally like best 11doh.gif (..freakin' time difference..)
    Here it is, what do you think?

6223434-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I forgot to post the one i personally like best 11doh.gif (..freakin' time difference..)
    Seemoon, I really like this last picture, the one I assume is an escalator, and a reflection, all of it?!.

I like Snappy's, too, they are not the same picture........... I would go ahead and enter yours, too, if that is what you wanted.

ginger

not makin no trouble, Sid
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2004
    Why I keep posting
    I want to make a shot like Andy did a couple of years ago at Christmas time.

Andy, how did you get the ethereal effect of the doll/woman/mannequin/whatever, then at the same time have a substantial effect of the book, or music sheet. The bldg I can imagine. It is the other players I am having trouble with..

Also was the light shining on the window, was it a window? I was taking reflections off of windows and mirrors yesterday. I like what I got. But I still want one like yours.

Time of day, did that play a part for the reflection? I was shooting in sunlight late in the morning, bad time, had just played tennis and didn't go straight home. The thing was the windows all have a large porch around them which is handy when finding some things to reflect, but not always. It was shaded though.

What do you all think of Andy's second example? Andy, would you like to address some of my questions on it?

Here are a couple more at the same place, but I was on the porch shooting into the window, both are reflections into the window. ginger, no trouble here

There were rocking chairs on the porch. When I incorporated them into the picture themselves, with the reflection, I thought things got too busy. So this is the reflection, with a bit of the window on the left.

6225714-L.jpg

This is a shot, into the window, where the focus was to be the beach chairs on the lawn. Two of them...............chairs and photos, I am really trying......I like what I have but it is not the same feel as that shot of Andy's, the second one. Is it a time of day thing, and how did the book get so in focus?

6225718-L.jpg

and, another try...........

6213464-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:

6223434-S.jpg

I really like this one, SeeMoon. Just to satisfy myself, I tried raising the contrast a wee bit and slightly changing the crop, but it didn't make a huge difference. It's a strong photo and is really nice.

I wonder if the judges will feel that it strongly enough reflects (little pun, hehe naughty.gif) the theme of the challenge? ne_nau.gif

headscratch.gif Dunno about the big window reflection, tho. It's just my opinion, and I think you're a lot closer, but something's still missing. I tried cropping out the column to the left, and that seemed to help the composition. But it still feels like it's missing something magical - and I still wonder if it isn't missing the 'second story.' You know, the first story is the guys with the luggage carts. But what's the secondary theme or story? Again, just my ramblings.

That puddle shot's kinda cool. :D
    Sid.
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    How much for that doggie in the window?

6238814-L.jpg
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    How much for that doggie in the window?

6238814-S.jpg

Sandy, I really like this one. I think you captured the quality that ginger has been looking for. I'm sorry I can't add any constructive criticism. It looks perfect to me.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    Thanks Snappy...This was taken today at the grand opening of Wells Fargo Bank. They were taking polaroids of people with the dog inside. I was getting frustrated looking for reflections and then, there was the doggy in the window.

snapapple wrote:
    Sandy, I really like this one. I think you captured the quality that ginger has been looking for. I'm sorry I can't add any constructive criticism. It looks perfect to me.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    Simone, sorry about that....
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Oh no..Snappy got the escalator-pic! (nice one, by the way!) I went back to that mall to make some more, but now..what to do? headscratch.gif I'll post it anyway here; i went through a lot of rain to make it, haha!

6223431-S.jpg

Another attempt at the airport building here in Kuala Lumpur;

6223432-S.jpg

I didn't know you were going to do escalators. Gee, they look like they were designed by the same person. Anyway, It's a nice shot. Maybe you should enter it anyway.

I like the second one too. I tried a crop on it. Selected the bright windows on top with the magic wand and increased blues on it. Then did unsharp mask. I think that's allowed.

Now, the three curving escalators, That's a Great Shot! Really! It's the best one of all. The repetition of three is cool and the contrast of the lines and curves. Black and white emphasizes it. Is it a reflection? Or is the reflection the light patterns on it? Not sure. Hmmmm, maybe if we have a lines and curves challenge.... this would be a sure winner. You could take it again I guess. It's such a great shot. It has to be entered in something. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2004
    Big Grin
    Sandy, with the doggie a big YEAH!!!!
    I am sooooo proud and happy, you got one.

I still wish Andy would come on and tell me a bit more about that one photo he did. The second one, the Christmas time one.

But you did do it!!!! I love it!

ginger, smile, big grin