Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 11, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
right here guys. this is the place to put your images that you are considering entering into dgrin challenge 18, lines and curves.

remember, you've got to give, to get. so please, provide feedback, comment, and critique to your fellow dgrinners. try to hit 2 or 3 other photos each time you visit. and visit often.

have at it!

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Question to Andy
    Can I get me a peacock, too, and the railroad tracks (I thought of those myself).

Curves and lines, only one, is that alright? If not unimpressive, or like the staircase, very impressive.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Can I get me a peacock, too, and the railroad tracks (I thought of those myself).

Curves and lines, only one, is that alright? If not unimpressive, or like the staircase, very impressive.

ginger

shoot anything you like ... my examples are just that, examples ;-)

i think that you can have a curve, a line, or both in the shot.

good luck!
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Okay, I'll go first. Just a snapshot of a curved building I took this morning.

6606596-L.jpg
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    It's a beautiful morning...try cropping. The windows are also curved.
    dugmar wrote:

• Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Not Eligible for Contest
    This is a rooftop parkade. Just throwing this out for ideas comments etc...
    curve1_ni.jpg
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Only if this contest would have started a few days earlier. I took this shot for a photo challenge at fredmiranda.com. The theme was circles.

6540616-M.jpg

Any comments appreciated. I'm always looking to improve.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Time Photography by ginger
    6612990-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Shadow Photography by ginger
    6612994-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Broken Heart Photography by ginger
    6613002-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Wooden Face Photography by ginger
    6613008-L.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Definitely lines and curves spock. How did you get up there anyway:D
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

I agree with Sandy that a crop might make this scene even better. For me the lines and curves are a bit lost in the scene.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Only if this contest would have started a few days earlier. I took this shot for a photo challenge at fredmiranda.com. The theme was circles.

Any comments appreciated. I'm always looking to improve.

Thanks,
    Dave
    I like the shot dkapp.. specially the lighting. You're right.. it would have made a great submission for this challenge:D
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I really like your shots Ginger.. love the sun dial.:D I like the wood as well but not as much as the sun dial.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

6606596-S.jpg

I'll take a different tack. I think it needs more context, not more cropping. Have the end of the building only jut 2/3 into the frame, rather than the 3/4+ it does right now. Also, the horizon needs to be straightened a wee bit, no?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    6612990-S.jpg

Maybe a little more drama with the lighting? It's a really good idea.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    curve1_ni.jpg

Love this shot, Spockster. Lines AND curves, at no extra charge! A cool perspective, too. I love high contrast B&W, so I'd be tempted to tweak until I had an area of pure black, and an area of pure white, somewhere in the shot. But that's purely a matter of personal taste.

EDIT: You know what, I tried that and it ain't working. Maybe a little toning? Andy has great how to's in the Hall of Wisdom.
    Sid.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    What are the dates that make a photo eligible?
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Yesterday through two weeks?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    6540616-S.jpg
    Dave
    Gorgeous, rich colors, lovely lighting. Nice subject and composition. Maybe crop it at the outer edge of the first dark band? Feels a little unbalanced?
    Sid.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    A snail because someone has got to

I like the slime
    6618003-M.jpg

More curves, less slime
    6618002-M.jpg

Any feedback is good feedback
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    6612990-M.jpg

I love the verdi gris with the shaddow on the sundial, can you pull it out some more? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    couple of thoughts...
    Here are a couple of shots from yesterday.

(rant)
    It will be hard for me to get over not making the finalists in the last one and even harder to understand not having Rutt's entry make it. His might well have been the winner. Maybe we need to always have at least 10 or even better 15 entries. Certainly my picks of 10 to vote on would have been different. And I would rather have voted on them all.
    (/rant)

2248escal_s.jpg

2214_s.jpg

2106path_pe.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    I have no idea what you, Sid and Charles are talking about. This is a different time of day, wild colors came out then.

I gotta go for now. ginger

How would I pull it out, Sid, Charles, I am not sure which one I used, I have about 50 or more of these things, but I liked the 3 D effect, I don't know what to do..........................so am going to leave home. HUH!

6619856-L.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 27, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Here are a couple of shots from yesterday.

(rant)
    It will be hard for me to get over not making the finalists in the last one and even harder to understand not having Rutt's entry make it. His might well have been the winner. Maybe we need to always have at least 10 or even better 15 entries. Certainly my picks of 10 to vote on would have been different. And I would rather have voted on them all.
    (/rant)

2214_s.jpg

I wonder if Rutt's lovely image of Yellowstone was not chosen because the subject was Reflections and the Pros felt it did not meet that criteria. I felt that Rutt's photo was very lovely and I liked yours also.
    When I saw the picture of the reflection of the QEII by seemoon I jokeingly warned her not to submit it, because I KNEW we would all be in trouble!! - it is a lovely image and met the criteria to a T. I thought it might take home the gold. Rats!Pissed.gifLaughing.gif
    Rutt said there is a difference between a contest winner and a superb long term image and I think there is some truth to that statement. ( Hope I don't get in trouble with management over saying this. Comments, Andy? Baldy?Laughing.gif)
    This is not saying that contest winners are not great images - some of them are excellent, but they may not wear on your wall as well over the long haul, as a more subtle, less saturated image might. But a great image that does not fit the stated Challenge criteria should not prevail either. Lots of things to consider here.

Seems like the addition of a modest amount of lucre is creating more tension in the contestants. Laughing.gif This can be a good thing, I hope.lickout.gif Anyway, this has been a fun week of (reflections about) photography. Lets wait and give Andy and the judges a while to add their comments on why shots did not make the final selection. In that vein, I was disappointed that my daylilly did not make the final selection in Challenge 16 Quality of light, but after reviewing it a couple of weeks, I think the judges were correct that the light was not that unique or significant an aspect of the image.

Your picture of the boots is related to the casualties in Iraq? A subject we all need to think about carefully and seriously. Your picture is very moving. We are fortunate to live here in the USA.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:

we've been starting on the monday that the challenges end. so, 7/26 for two weeks.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    re: rutt's ch reflection entry
    i dig the shot. it's a superb landscape, a wall-hanger for sure. a seller, too, i betcha. rutt should be proud of the shot.

here's my comment on rutt's shot in the challenge thread

when we judge, we're judging against the criteria of the challenge, and the other entries. i also said "up to 10 finalists" but there's no guarantee of 10 finalists. i wanted to only pick five finalists this time, the number of entries was low. (get out there and recruit some new folks, willya guys?? !!!)

rutt's entry imo and moti's opinion didn't do as well as the others in the challenge criteria of reflections. that doesn't make it a bad photograph, on the contrary, it's a super shot, as i've said now thrice :grin as a matter of fact, if rutt entered that shot in the wide angle challenge (coming up in 2 weeks, hehehehehehehe) he's got a winner, imo.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

Your picture of the boots is related to the casualties in Iraq? A subject we all need to think about carefully and seriously. Your picture is very moving. We are fortunate to live here in the USA.
    Yes. Yesterday there was a meeting of Veterans for John Kerry and I was invited. In the afternoon I wandered through the Garden and the Boston Common and found the boots being placed. It was moving. As a disabled vet, whose father retired from the service and whose brother retired from the service it was a very moving thing to come across.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Andy, thanks for the explanation. I was wondering about the omission, but didn't want to make a deal out of it, as I worry about making the whole challenge thing too much about the winning, as opposed to the participating.

Personally, I found challenge 17 to be extremely taxing, and didn't expect to make an entry. And I wasn't at all bummed about the prospect of not having an entry: I bummed that I was being flummoxed by a fairly basic photographic challenge. And that's the whole point of the thing [bore] to get out and shoot and try things so that you grow.[/bore] friday.gif

cmr, I love the boots. Be nice if we didn't see the shooters at the top? And the first shot, is that about the lines... or the circles? naughty.giflol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have no idea what you, Sid and Charles are talking about. This is a different time of day, wild colors came out then.

I gotta go for now. ginger

How would I pull it out, Sid, Charles, I am not sure which one I used, I have about 50 or more of these things, but I liked the 3 D effect, I don't know what to do..........................so am going to leave home. HUH!

6619856-S.jpg

So often when your images appear on the screen after the download I think wow and there's another one :D