Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And also, any idea on how to make this image pop a little more? I think I have some basics, we'll pick the best composition, but then what... ear.gif
    Always try LAB steepening as the first attempt to get more pop. A good car image, looks like a toy.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Always try LAB steepening as the first attempt to get more pop. A good car image, looks like a toy.
    yeah, i'm not so good at the LAB. but i'll try.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    The picture of the boots, I like it (sometimes)
    I like Rutt's crop with the photographer and the cloning. I have nothing against cloning, but then again, I might slant the news, too.

It is the artist's call, though. Sure nice not to have an editor screaming at you, IMO.

Worst thing the editor did to me, in my part time job, was to have another photographer work on my picture, changing the story a bit. In retrospect it was a minor happening, at the time it was big to me.

ginger
    (Oh, that is not the same as someone working on my shots on this forum, don't mind that at all. Because, as the artist, I still have the final say, and I might learn something. So feel free.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    so there I was thinking about lines and curves, when my buddy comes over and asks me to take some shots of his new car. Hmmm, cars have good curves, I've always thought so... now we need some lines... How 'bout a 10ft step ladder and a parking lot???
    :D

this is my favorite:
    6683374-M.jpg

So which one do you like best? And also, any idea on how to make this image pop a little more? I think I have some basics, we'll pick the best composition, but then what... ear.gif
    Erik, I am with you on your favorite, but it might just be a personal preference. Rutt knows how to work LABs, and his suggestion was rather basic, I would try that for pop.

ginger
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    this is the 0ne I like Ginger
    ginger_55 wrote:

6632615-L.jpg
    this is my favorite Ginger.. I think it's lovely.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    holy moly ginger!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    6681352-S.jpg

Sullivan's Island, SC
    Photgraphy by ginger

ginger, this is *mint*
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    Stopped on the way home tonight and took this one, do you think the lines and curves strong enough??
    6687091-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    yeah, i'm not so good at the LAB. but i'll try.
    LAB is easy and fun. Read this thread if you haven't already. Don't worry about the L curve for now. Just steepen the A and B curves symetrically. You're an engineer, it won't be hard once you start.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Stopped on the way home tonight and took this one, do you think the lines and curves strong enough??
    6687091-S.jpg
    I really love this shot and love the toned B&W. I'm not a good judge of Andy's taste, he says to PM him with questions like this.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I really love this shot and love the toned B&W. I'm not a good judge of Andy's taste, he says to PM him with questions like this.
    Thanks, much apreciated, especially about the B&W. As I converted it I thought "Rutt won't like this!" :D
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    my taste? heheheh
    rutt wrote:

well i try to be really objective. and we have another guest, this time, a very good friend of mine, fine photographer, too, named harry behret.

i think the curve in this shot is quite good, gubby - and i really dig the tones. lovely shot
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Thats a lovely shot gubbs... do you feel the curves are strong enough?mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    andy wrote:
    well i try to be really objective. and we have another guest, this time, a very good friend of mine, fine photographer, too, named harry behret.

i think the curve in this shot is quite good, gubby - and i really dig the tones. lovely shot
    Cheers Andy!:D
    Hit submit and you're there too Lynn, thanks
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    In between the rain
    6688637-L.jpg

Nantucket is like any tourist destination, Main Street is teaming, but just a block or two away there are these little streets in town that are totally quiet. That's where the dog and I like to go.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Yes, I do like it, and I also think that it is enough lines and curves, but then again I thought my kid shots were, too, and I also thought my waves were.
    So, what do I know, the problem is that if things are not clear and spelled out, there can be dissenting views, and I have seen people burned with that, as in left out of the final ten.

I love that shot, I don't know............ If I didn't think I could write "curves" with a pointed arrow, and then I don't even see the lines, but Andy said both were not needed together, in the same shot. I have relooked at his, and both are there in his. So I would play it safe. Or ask Andy, or put an arrow in with Lines pointed out and the same with Curves. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Or not!

Depending on my resources and on my goal. I do love that shot, and I do think there is enough of the assignment in there, but, as I said, people have been burned before, only so many finalists, and only so many winners.

ginger thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    6688637-S.jpg

Nantucket is like any tourist destination, Main Street is teaming, but just a block or two away there are these little streets in town that are totally quiet. That's where the dog and I like to go.
    Oh, My, Rutt, I do like this photo! I love the colors. There is a curve, and it is leading right out of the picture, with your back up against the left side, hehe.

I guess I am not very nice today.

I honestly do like this shot! Really, honest to g.
    But get some other opinions.
    I love your photographs, I was waiting for you to post, and I do love it, but it is dangerous.........

Ok, don't hit me anyone. I love the photo and the colors, and I would love to be there. Etc.

ginger
    (At least I didn't put any moving smileys in the "reply", smile)

I just saw the little curved thing at the "back" of the photo where my eye goes, good one.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    LAB is easy and fun. Read this thread if you haven't already. Don't worry about the L curve for now. Just steepen the A and B curves symetrically. You're an engineer, it won't be hard once you start.
    Oh yeah, fun and easy. this looks terrible. umph.gif

6688921-M.jpg

Can I just tell you that I took a break from work just now because I've been cracking my head over a problem all morning and I hate it. So my advisor came in and he says "its simple, what are you doing!?... just redo it like this!".

I'm about 5 minutes away from throwing my books (3 of them at this point for my "simple" problem) out the window, pulling the plug out of the wall, and going for a bike ride. At least pedaling is fun and easy, in a very plain way for me, apparently the idiot today.
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    Yeah, I have a bike date right now, too. With a real beast. When I get back, I'll be tamed.

Don't do anything to the L curve. Make the A and B curves steeper, but still straight lines. Move the end points inward equally so the lines still cross the center point. Use the numerical input to make sure of this.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    lines and curves - definintion for the challenge
    guys, look at my examples .. some have curves only. some lines only. some with both...

either or both, it's way ok with me deal.gif
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Yes, I do like it, and I also think that it is enough lines and curves, but then again I thought my kid shots were, too, and I also thought my waves were.
    So, what do I know, the problem is that if things are not clear and spelled out, there can be dissenting views, and I have seen people burned with that, as in left out of the final ten.

I love that shot, I don't know............ If I didn't think I could write "curves" with a pointed arrow, and then I don't even see the lines, but Andy said both were not needed together, in the same shot. I have relooked at his, and both are there in his. So I would play it safe. Or ask Andy, or put an arrow in with Lines pointed out and the same with Curves. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Or not!

Depending on my resources and on my goal. I do love that shot, and I do think there is enough of the assignment in there, but, as I said, people have been burned before, only so many finalists, and only so many winners.

ginger thumb.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    Nice Rutt
    rutt wrote:
    6688637-S.jpg

I like this a lot. A very nice line and curve. Leads me right in there. Lovely colors too. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    This is it Ginger...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    6681352-S.jpg

Sullivan's Island, SC
    Photgraphy by ginger

Stop right here! This is my absolute favorite. The light is beautiful and the textures are awesome. It's got lines, curves, mood, light, everything. Just put this in the entry thread and go on to your family thing. Please don't agonize over all the shots. This is great! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    Hey Lynn...
    wave.gif YooooHooo Lynn,
    You put some comments in the submission thread again. It's a no no. Put them in this thread. Or send a pm if you don't think the person will see your message. I'm just trying to help out. We said we wanted to keep the "entries" thread nice and clean. Just the pics. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    wave.gif YooooHooo Lynn,
    You put some comments in the submission thread again. It's a no no. Put them in this thread. Or send a pm if you don't think the person will see your message. I'm just trying to help out. We said we wanted to keep the "entries" thread nice and clean. Just the pics. deal.gif
    You are absolutely right Snap... where is my head today.. It's been like that all day actually.. methinks I'm losing it altogether. Thanks for the prompt.
    umph.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I did different ones, and one the same........... ???
    or
    6681352-S.jpg
    This one (last one)
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Stop right here! This is my absolute favorite. The light is beautiful and the textures are awesome. It's got lines, curves, mood, light, everything. Just put this in the entry thread and go on to your family thing. Please don't agonize over all the shots. This is great! thumb.gif
    Snappy, I plan to do exactly that............except for the not agonizing over my babies. I really like them all, all that you all have seen anyway, smile. And in each case they are not something I went with the expectation of getting.

I could bore you all with examples, but that is one of the surprising things to me, getting to a place, the picture is nowhere in sight, so I shoot because that is who I am........... and I end up with something nice, just not what I came to shoot, Laughing.gif.

If my PC holds up, I will put one on the Challenge when I know exactly................. something. Any feedback would be appreciated. I put one on, it is posted somewhere below this.

Thanks so much for all so far.

And I will be watching. Smile.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    I called it Mending Fence
    6691940-L.jpg

Photography by ginger

Sullivan's Island Beach
    South Carolina

(I know this is the critiques thread, I just put this up here to let you know, also, if you all have anything to say....... please do. I did clean it a bit, except I left in a little bit of two weeds, hard to see)
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    Comments Anyone? Process was USM, LAB, Curves, RGB, Convert to B/W, USM.

1_ni.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Yeah, I have a bike date right now, too. With a real beast. When I get back, I'll be tamed.

Don't do anything to the L curve. Make the A and B curves steeper, but still straight lines. Move the end points inward equally so the lines still cross the center point. Use the numerical input to make sure of this.
    My numerical input doesn't work, i don't think...

But I solved my math problem. I cheered, then my advisor said it should've taken me 15 minutes. umph.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    6691940-Th.jpg

Photography by ginger

Sullivan's Island Beach
    South Carolina

(I know this is the critiques thread, I just put this up here to let you know, also, if you all have anything to say....... please do. I did clean it a bit, except I left in a little bit of two weeds, hard to see)
    Nice one ginger, enjoy your break and wash your hair!!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    Very nice...
    spockling wrote:
    Comments Anyone? Process was USM, LAB, Curves, RGB, Convert to B/W, USM.

1_ni.jpg

Spockling, this is good, very good. You really made the black and white pop. However, it seems a bit tilted to me. I think you should line up that post at the point of the bench with the right side of the picture. The little girl is precious.