Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 28, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I don't know what to do about the blue thing, especially when there is that nice reflection from the cloud. Make it nice and the blue is "blue". I have a lot of photos with the same problem. What is evening supposed to look like. I can see the blue as it gets close to dark, but not just evening, dusk, pretty clouds and sky.

Ginger....
    After the sun goes down, there is an increasing amount of blue light, and as it gets dark out, the light turns really blue. Turn off AWB on the 300D when the sun is not shining and instead use the shade setting - that is the little building with a shaded side - this means you will have to shoot Tv,P,M, or Av.

If you shoot in the Basic zones ( portrait, macro, landscape,etc) on the 300D, you do not get to choose the color lighting setting. You get to choose only in Av,Tv, P, M or A-DEP. I think you will find the shady setting gives a much better color rendition than AWB. I found this to be true shooting snow scenes with the 10D also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    Fred Miranda is currently voting on their "Circles" challenge. Link. One thing I noticed, and the first comment in the thread, is that the vast majority of the finalists are still life images. I admire the shots, but don't feel my skills are anywhere near the level required to create a shot from scratch. Not to mention the lighting equipment that appears to be employed for some of the pics.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Ginger, that's simply beautiful. I love the lighting, the softness of the sand, the color of the image. Great work. thumb.gif
    Ditto with Wx Ginger... it's stunning! boy you are crankin out some lovely stuff girl clap.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Fred Miranda is currently voting on their "Circles" challenge. Link. One thing I noticed, and the first comment in the thread, is that the vast majority of the finalists are still life images. I admire the shots, but don't feel my skills are anywhere near the level required to create a shot from scratch. Not to mention the lighting equipment that appears to be employed for some of the pics.

You wouldn't need to make a still life. We could all rent a plane. There is some terrific stuff taken from the air. I see it is books all the time.

Still lifes are not your thing, and they are not mine. We would have to hire a cyber alien to make them for us, like in that movie, or the tabloids.

Gubbs could run over and grab a picture of Stonehedge (sp?)

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 28, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Gubbs could run over and grab a picture of Stonehedge (sp?)

ginger
    Shhhh don't tell him where to get the winning shot! :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Shhhh don't tell him where to get the winning shot! :D
    Stonehenge isn't far from me and I'm going down that way on the weekend after next, but I think that it would take more than a world heritage site for me to produce a winner! :D
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    I've been messing around with this one since last night

6657813-L.jpg
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Definitely lines and curves spock. How did you get up there anyway:D
    lynnma, I got up there this way...

http://calgarytower.com/mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Stonehenge isn't far from me and I'm going down that way on the weekend after next, but I think that it would take more than a world heritage site for me to produce a winner! :D

Don't forget to rent a plane. I am sure it looks better, more complete, by air.
    Our marshes are sensational from the air. I have only seen them that way in photography books by really good photographer, he is really good, because he goes up in planes, takes boats into uninhabited beautiful areas, one called the ACE Basin.

I bought his book to take to the mountains with me, his mtn book, last time. No instructions, but it isn't difficult to get the shots, he provided the inspiration for my non arial shots.

We need a little imagination, and a LOT of money, rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    At least I can do smileys in rules of thirds.

Oh, that photographer spends this time of year in Vermont.........taking pictures and preparing another book, what else.

ginger
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I've been messing around with this one since last night
    6657813-S.jpg
    Nice one!!!thumb.gif
    Only thing I'd say is maybe a little more light behind the people at the tables?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    ginger - re: nightshots
    have you tried some of the tricks in here ? just a thought. lots of things you can do when you shoot raw. did you shoot raw or jpg?
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Night shots with the Rebel are BLUE. I did very little to this, I like it and was afraid to hurt it, and time constraints, etc. I guess it was darker than I thought. My flash insisted on coming on. So I hope it is allowed. I like the effect here. ginger No I don't mind someone playing with my stuff, just don't post it on the Challenge, smile.

6633312-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Resting Spot: Beach Umbrella
    6660849-L.jpg

Photography by ginger
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    Made a trip downtown....
    Here are some lines and "Golden Arches"
    6644081-L.jpg

The Mall
    6644083-L.jpg

Some very colorful geometrics
    6644084-L.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    have you tried some of the tricks in here ? just a thought. lots of things you can do when you shoot raw. did you shoot raw or jpg?
    Andy, I have never shot raw, not that I am dying to do it. I shot that jpeg.
    I like it, even though it is blue, as I think it was blue. I would like to "save" it, does anyone have a suggestion on that: saving the pictures I shot.

I am going back to that beach on Friday for the blue moon, but I am going by myself, and I am probably taking the dogs who are not allowed to run free at that time. I can use some of the stuff I read.

Doesn't raw put a lot more on your hard drive? I am having a major problem there anyway. In two months I have gone from 50% free to 19% free.

I actually love that picture, I am not good at curves, I destroy everything in curves, but I wouldn't know what to do anyway.

I use levels, what would anyone suggest doing. I could turn it into a blk and white, but I would like to save some of the color.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Power Point - at the San Diego Convention Center
    6644089-L.jpg

This young man stopped here to put on his jacket and arrange some papers in his brief case. I assumed he was preparing for a conference inside as he was standing outside the Convention Center.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    The Round House, Sullivan's Island, South Carolina
    6661130-L.jpgPhotography by ginger
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    A vertical line with a curve....
    The sky was completely cloudless. I suppose the simplicity is best for what I am trying to show here.

6644085-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Trolly Station
    6658651-L.jpg

Another view. I used levels to brighten up the shadows. Is this too light now? Does it need more contrast?

6658653-L.jpg

This one is actually in color. I kind of like the warm light.

6658657-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Boy At The Beach
    6660848-L.jpg

Photography by ginger
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Old Lace At The Shore
    6667483-L.jpg

Photography by ginger
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Alone
    6661127-L.jpg

Photography by ginger
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    Wow, I go away for a day and boom! There are some really good shots here. I'm impressed. The quality of these challenges just get better and better. We are all obviously improving a lot here.

I'll get out there this weekend and see what I can come up with. Lots of ideas here.

Doug
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Night Beach, Sullivan's Island, South Carolina
    andy wrote:
    I just did this in LAB Curves, I have the book on it, but no time. Thank you so much for the tutorial, I just printed it out. Since I did not do it in raw, I will have to figure it out for me. Also I think there ought to be a simple dictionary for photographers trying to talk to other photographers, or understand would be more what I mean. I never use technical language, or not much, and I have no idea what white balance means. I see it mentioned everywhere, but when it is mentioned, the assumption is that I know what it means. I don't. Anyway, this is my best effort tonight. At least I have plenty of shots to work with.

ginger

6667488-L.jpg

Photography by ginger
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Boy in a big Curvy Hat
    6669658-L.jpg

Photography by ginger
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

6632615-Th.jpg
    ginger I really like the colours & textures but I'm not sure about the fence, have you got any other angles/perspectives??
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:

I'll keep on trying!! I've always loved the lines on this leaf.

mitch
    Mitchell, like the way the leaf has a weird landscape feel to it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Some very colorful geometrics
    6644084-Th.jpg
    Cool building Snappy, is that a market behind there?
  • Options
    FaithFaith Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2004
    Hi, I'm Faith and I'm new to the site. My boyfriend got me a Sony 838 (?) and I like it. He doesn't like my photos though :( Do you like them? I really need feedback.

6679926-M.jpg

6679928-M.jpg
  • Options
    FaithFaith Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2004
    Ginger, all you pictures are so beautiful. You must have a very hard time choosing between them. I like some of my pictures, but I wish I could take pictures that look more like yours. My boyfriend says I just need experience.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    Faith wrote:
    Ginger, all you pictures are so beautiful. You must have a very hard time choosing between them. I like some of my pictures, but I wish I could take pictures that look more like yours. My boyfriend says I just need experience.
    Hi Faith.. welcome to Dgrin Forum. You'll be able to pick up all sorts of great information here. There are many experts in all fielda who are more than willing to help. I like your shots but they are coming up very dark on my monitor. What are you using for software to process your pictures.. ie Photoshop? or some other? wave.gif