Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

cmr, I love the boots. Be nice if we didn't see the shooters at the top? And the first shot, is that about the lines... or the circles? naughty.giflol3.gif
    Course they are listening to their editor, "Whats with the shooter at the top" smilesmile2.gif

As for your second somewhat cheeky suggestion.... Seriously I didn't think that it was a good shot but it has something so I thought to bounce it off the grinners.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    As for your second somewhat cheeky suggestion.... Seriously I didn't think that it was a good shot but it has something so I thought to bounce it off the grinners.
    I guess the bottom line is whether the shot has enough assets to make it compelling.

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I guess the bottom line is whether the shot has enough assets to make it compelling.

rolleyes1.gif

Does for me, thankfuly it was not posted in a "no photoshop comp" way too many curves rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    So often when your images appear on the screen after the download I think wow and there's another one :D
    nod.gif I feel the same way. Wax, Ginger, Rutt, Baldy, and Andy consistently amaze.

There are others too, but I can't remember the screen names. No offense intended guys!
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Yes, pull out those colors!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have no idea what you, Sid and Charles are talking about. This is a different time of day, wild colors came out then.

I gotta go for now. ginger

How would I pull it out, Sid, Charles, I am not sure which one I used, I have about 50 or more of these things, but I liked the 3 D effect, I don't know what to do..........................so am going to leave home. HUH!

6619856-S.jpg

ginger,
    You may not know how you "pulled it out", but you sure did. Somehow you pulled out the colors on this thing and what great colors they are. Funny, I never would have thought, from the first shot, that there was so much color in it. I guess it was the light. Or, did you use some curves or something? Anyway, it's magnificent!
    thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Lines and curves on my brain coral. My first challenge entry, so be gentle with me.

mitch
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Only if this contest would have started a few days earlier. I took this shot for a photo challenge at fredmiranda.com. The theme was circles.

6540616-S.jpg

Any comments appreciated. I'm always looking to improve.

Thanks,
    Dave

I keep looking at this because I can smell the dust coming up from the floor.
    What are the blemishes in the shaddow to the right of the barrels?
    Crop right but leave some shaddow it gives the pic the mood and smell thumb.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    ginger,
    You may not know how you "pulled it out", but you sure did. Somehow you pulled out the colors on this thing and what great colors they are. Funny, I never would have thought, from the first shot, that there was so much color in it. I guess it was the light. Or, did you use some curves or something? Anyway, it's magnificent!
    thumb.gif

Snappy, Rutt, everyone, I guess nothing is as it seems in this world! I don't know where those colors came from, and tennis balls, well they are a scam, just a scam!

That thing, the time teller, whatever, it is a dull green.

Will tell you all later, am looking at my beach shots, not a lot of color in the curved shots, but good shots, just plain shots, good sky, not what would I do with that, may use the waves, want to look.

Later, was real pretty. A blue moon on Friday.

ginger (The moon comes up over the ocean, a full moon, at the same time the sun sets, and a blue moon is a second full moon in the same month. Won't happen again while I am alive, so ..............back to the beach.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Here are a couple of shots from yesterday.

(rant)
    It will be hard for me to get over not making the finalists in the last one and even harder to understand not having Rutt's entry make it. His might well have been the winner. Maybe we need to always have at least 10 or even better 15 entries. Certainly my picks of 10 to vote on would have been different. And I would rather have voted on them all.
    (/rant)

Charles, when did you get into doing photography with any studying, critiques, darkroom experience, etc.

It might make a difference on how you see things. I am noticing a pattern with Rutt's work, which is excellent. Last Challenge I got into the final ten using LAB Curves with Rutt helping me. Then when Andy critiqued mine, he mentioned that he would have liked some detail in the dark foreground. This time he mentioned, while critqueing Rutt's entry, he mentioned detail in the mtns, a bit far away for detail, but the same thing, detail in the dark areas.

In the old days of slides and darkroom stuff, that was a goal, detail everywhere, no blown areas, no dark areas with no detail. I do remember that. I did a couple of sunsets just to prove I could get detail in the foreground and in the sky. It is not easy, or was not, it required thought, and intent.

I asked Andy about that very thing, as I grew up, photographically, in the late sixties, and first half of the seventies. He said that it was different in digital. I got the feeling he was saying not to worry about it. I do think, now, that it is something to be concerned about, detail in the dark areas.

I, too, think it is very difficult with only 8 finalists, and I have some kind of terrible foreboding that the way things are going, we are going to keep cutting finalists until our finalist is only one, so would be our winner, Laughing.gif.
    I do not expect to be in the next "cut", if this progresses.

Want to upload my beach shots.

ginger
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    ...(The moon comes up over the ocean, a full moon, at the same time the sun sets, and a blue moon is a second full moon in the same month. Won't happen again while I am alive, so ..............back to the beach.)
    The next blue moon will be May 2007; I for one certainly hope you will be alive and shooting photos (and sharing them with us) for much longer than that! (Here's the full scoop on blue moons)
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    A snail because someone has got to

I like the slime

More curves, less slime

Any feedback is good feedback

IMO, slime is best. Hate slime, but in this case, artistically, well, I gotta like it, it looks better.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    How I did the time thing, will remember the name Sun Dial, I did it the same way I do everything............... you all can refer back, I just did more of it!

If I usually nudged something, in that case I pushed it, kicked it over.

Etc.

later,
    ginger
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    My daughter's dogs Clover and Daisy. Lots of lines here.6627339-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    Lines and curves on my brain coral. My first challenge entry, so be gentle with me.

mitch

Mitchell, welcome to the playpen! wave.gif

Love the colors and the shape. It's always dangerous offering suggestions - I've done it a few times already, and I think I'm full of it. So take any feedback with a nice pinch of salt, and think about developing your own aesthetic... what you think looks like nice shot.

I was in my boss' office today, and suddenly became acutely aware of how three different light sources were beaming light in the dark-ish room. Rightly or wrongly, I thought I was seeing the light the way the camera might capture it. First time I've ever 'seen' light in that manner, it was kind of cool.

Anyway, back to the brain at hand. It looks a wee bit soft? Maybe a little sharpening, if you have the software? You might want to play with the light levels, or shoot it/light it so you can get some interesting shadows. And right now it's sorta dead center of the image. I dunno what the tank looks like (it's in a tank, right?) but maybe you can give it a little context, assuming the technical obstacles aren't too great?

Just some thoughts, man. And please don't worry about posting stuff here. I personally shoot about 100 truly awful photos for every halfway decent one. And I shoot everything six ways from Sunday, because you don't know what will make a good shot until you've tried it a few (hundred!) times.

God bless digital photography. Without the ability to shoot unlimited shots, I wouldn't be shooting today. No way I could afford film, the way I pile up the frames.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

6619856-S.jpg

Ginger, I hope you don't mind, I had some fun with your image. A possible composition? Just tinkering, I'll remove this if you object.

6629491-O.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Charles, when did you get into doing photography with any studying, critiques, darkroom experience, etc.
    ginger
    I am also an old timer in B/W darkrooms, mixing my own chemicals, using potassiun-ferro(i)-cyanide for things like intensifying negatives. I did not get to do much color darkroom work but I did my own E4 and E6 slides in 35mm and 2 1/4. So I do remember the seeking of detail that you describe.

I will put my further comments in the thread about the challenge mechanisms.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    In the old days of slides and darkroom stuff, that was a goal, detail everywhere, no blown areas, no dark areas with no detail. I do remember that. I did a couple of sunsets just to prove I could get detail in the foreground and in the sky. It is not easy, or was not, it required thought, and intent.

I asked Andy about that very thing, as I grew up, photographically, in the late sixties, and first half of the seventies. He said that it was different in digital. I got the feeling he was saying not to worry about it. I do think, now, that it is something to be concerned about, detail in the dark areas.
    ginger
    Us old timers that remember color slides and black and white printing have got to stick together Ginger.lickout.gif I don't mind a silhouette some times.

Keeping a good grey scale though out all tone values has always been challenging whether with slide film or digital files. It drove Galen Rowell and other landscape photographers to use neutral density gradient filters for sunrises and sunsets to keep tonality in the dark foreground without blowing the highlights in the much brighter sky - Like this for example, taken in Page Arizona a few months ago.

4479372-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Looking to the night beach and ocean at SI
    Night shots with the Rebel are BLUE. I did very little to this, I like it and was afraid to hurt it, and time constraints, etc. I guess it was darker than I thought. My flash insisted on coming on. So I hope it is allowed. I like the effect here. ginger No I don't mind someone playing with my stuff, just don't post it on the Challenge, smile.

6633312-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    On this blue thing, I don't know how it is supposed to be. Levels makes it a brighter blue which I "tone down" or try to. Tried the different colors in levels and ended up with green waves. Probably should try curves, but I really don't know how this stuff is supposed to be. I don't mind the blue here and in the other one, but some of them............ are blue. (The wave is a curve)
    ginger (I am going to bed, have tennis tomorrow and have pushed to get this stuff on.)

6633314-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Curves..........
    I like this better than

6634305-L.jpg

This. I don't know what to do about the blue thing, especially when there is that nice reflection from the cloud. Make it nice and the blue is "blue". I have a lot of photos with the same problem. What is evening supposed to look like. I can see the blue as it gets close to dark, but not just evening, dusk, pretty clouds and sky.

6632614-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Us old timers that remember color slides and black and white printing have got to stick together Ginger.lickout.gif I don't mind a silhouette some times.

Keeping a good grey scale though out all tone values has always been challenging whether with slide film or digital files. It drove Galen Rowell and other landscape photographers to use neutral density gradient filters for sunrises and sunsets to keep tonality in the dark foreground without blowing the highlights in the much brighter sky - Like this for example, taken in Page Arizona a few months ago.

That picture was wonderful, Pathfinder clap.gif . I really know very little technical stuff, never wanted to. But I was aware of what I "should" bring into the photography club, and I did it. I did not do slides much as I had a darkroom for black and white. When I look at it now, it seems so amateurish compared to the digital stuff I am doing. (And they say digital can't handle it, smile again)
    Gotta go to bed! ginger
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    Lines and curves/sand and fence by ginger

6632615-L.jpg
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Mitchell, welcome to the playpen! wave.gif

Love the colors and the shape. It's always dangerous offering suggestions - I've done it a few times already, and I think I'm full of it. So take any feedback with a nice pinch of salt, and think about developing your own aesthetic... what you think looks like nice shot.

I was in my boss' office today, and suddenly became acutely aware of how three different light sources were beaming light in the dark-ish room. Rightly or wrongly, I thought I was seeing the light the way the camera might capture it. First time I've ever 'seen' light in that manner, it was kind of cool.

Anyway, back to the brain at hand. It looks a wee bit soft? Maybe a little sharpening, if you have the software? You might want to play with the light levels, or shoot it/light it so you can get some interesting shadows. And right now it's sorta dead center of the image. I dunno what the tank looks like (it's in a tank, right?) but maybe you can give it a little context, assuming the technical obstacles aren't too great?

Just some thoughts, man. And please don't worry about posting stuff here. I personally shoot about 100 truly awful photos for every halfway decent one. And I shoot everything six ways from Sunday, because you don't know what will make a good shot until you've tried it a few (hundred!) times.

God bless digital photography. Without the ability to shoot unlimited shots, I wouldn't be shooting today. No way I could afford film, the way I pile up the frames.
    Sid,
    Thank you for your comments and warm welcome to the board. I've always loved the lines and curves of that brain coral. It is in my own tank at home. I agree that the picture looks too clinical. My first thought was a tight macro shot, but I was concerned that nobody would know what they were looking at! A wider shot giving context with the rest of the tank just loses the theme of this challenge.

I'll keep on trying!! I've always loved the lines on this leaf.

mitch
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like this better than
    This. I don't know what to do about the blue thing, especially when there is that nice reflection from the cloud. Make it nice and the blue is "blue". I have a lot of photos with the same problem. What is evening supposed to look like. I can see the blue as it gets close to dark, but not just evening, dusk, pretty clouds and sky.

6632614-Th.jpg
    Ginger, I,ve read somewhere on here that the rebel's auto white balance struggles in certain circumstances, it could have been Charles when he borrowed one for a weekend???
    You could try the manual settings or try shooting in raw then adjusting the WB on the computer when you get home. Hope I'm not leading you up the wrong path here, but I'm sure someone will correct me if that's the case.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'll take a different tack. I think it needs more context, not more cropping. Have the end of the building only jut 2/3 into the frame, rather than the 3/4+ it does right now. Also, the horizon needs to be straightened a wee bit, no?
    Thanks guys, this was just a snapshot. Saw it, picked up the camera and snapped it. Didn't really put much thought into it.

Doug
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Ginger, I,ve read somewhere on here that the rebel's auto white balance struggles in certain circumstances, it could have been Charles when he borrowed one for a weekend???
    You could try the manual settings or try shooting in raw then adjusting the WB on the computer when you get home. Hope I'm not leading you up the wrong path here, but I'm sure someone will correct me if that's the case.
    No. I was the one qvetching about the dRebel's AF. JimF who actually owns the beastie was the one who was discussing the WB failings. I think he only shoots raw as a result.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

6632615-S.jpg
    Ginger, that's simply beautiful. I love the lighting, the softness of the sand, the color of the image. Great work. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'll take a different tack. I think it needs more context, not more cropping. Have the end of the building only jut 2/3 into the frame, rather than the 3/4+ it does right now. Also, the horizon needs to be straightened a wee bit, no?
    yes please - thats one of those that is just so borderline off horizon that its making me a wee bit queezy rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 28, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    No. I was the one qvetching about the dRebel's AF. JimF who actually owns the beastie was the one who was discussing the WB failings. I think he only shoots raw as a result.
    Yup, i usually do the same. Unless I want weird affects, then i pick the wrong WB and shoot away.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 28, 2004
    6632615-S.jpg
    wxwax wrote:
    Ginger, that's simply beautiful. I love the lighting, the softness of the sand, the color of the image. Great work. thumb.gif
    I agree here, waxy, I think this is a lovely image. I like the grainy look too. How did you get that grainy look Ginger?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin