Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    Faith wrote:
    My boyfriend is really really nice. He's just a little hard to please sometimes. Last night he showed me how to use photoshop to crop my pictures and some other things that I'm still trying to understand. Do you like my kitty better now?

6715240-S.jpg
    I like this quite a bit now. Before you cropped it the background was distracting and I think your beautiful cat was a little lost in a sea of white with and some other stuff. You also seem to have gotten better details in her fur (I'd like to know what your boyfriend showed you how to do.) I have found it hard to get animals to pose this well, your cat is clearly curious about the camera, and that makes this an interesting picture even though there are zillions of cat pictures out there.

Lines and curves? I see them. Whiskers, ears, fur in ears. But you really can't listen to me on this; you need some other feedback here. I'm famously bad at seeing contest elements in shots where the judges don't.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Glad my suggestion vis a vis the USM/moire worked. Probably straightening the image also helped. As a general rule moire patterns are caused by interactions between varying angles of straight lines. In images the stepping of pixels can make moire patterns leap out at you. Anything that reduces the resolution or which increases inter-pixel contrast increases the possibility of a moire pattern. Jpeg compression and USM both decrease true resolution by reducing image content and USM's mechanism is to increase inter-pixel contrast. So you never gain by doing USM until the last step. It is more work but you will get much better final images if you turn off the in camera sharpening.
    Thanks again Charles. I don't think I can turn off the in camera sharpening in my little A75 thoughrolleyes1.gif .
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    snapapple wrote:

I went back to the color original on this. It seems better than a B&W to me now. What do you think? Does it need more contrast? I don't want to lose the bottom part in the shadows.
    Hey Snap, I'm finding in the trolley picture there's just too much to look at. It seems too busyheadscratch.gif
    6690946-S.jpg

As for the Flying Buttress, I think(newbie again) that it's needs to be rotated like this.....to give it a different angle.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 30, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Hey Snap, I'm finding in the trolley picture there's just too much to look at. It seems too busyheadscratch.gif

6690946-S.jpg
    I have to agree with Spock here... but you did ask earlier about the bottom. I would have cropped out the light part, so that it ends in the shadows. It would give a good gradient from the light up top, to shadows down below. Heck, I might even crop off most of the bottom and turn this portrait into a landscape of just that curved roof.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    Ok I have lines6219075-M.jpg

Here I have curves5549096-M.jpg
    I guess these two have both????
    5549233-M.jpg
    5552083-M.jpg

I aint going to get better if I dont start submitting right?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    winger wrote:
    Here I have curves
    5549096-Th.jpg

I like this one thumb.gif

Problem is, once you start, you can't stop :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    i shot lines and curves last night
    i'm in sf again, and i went up to the marin headlands and shot the gg bridge, and the city, again. was hoping for a moonrise but alas, the city's famous fog settled in. i settled for this:

6716755-L.jpg

some lines, some curves for ya. shot with my 10d, 16-35L f/2.8 aboard, 10 secs at f/4.5

cheers all!
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I like this one thumb.gif

Problem is, once you start, you can't stop :D
    Well this site is so image heavy that the good news is I can only access it on campus so that will keep me from spending too much time here. ( I live in the woods and only have dialup at home)

The last three photos are from Austin Texas, the First one was Muskegon MI
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    Ok, I tried this one again:

6718954-M.jpg

I like the colors better, little USM, now something still doesn't look right. If you take a look at the Large version (http://doctorit.smugmug.com/photos/6718954-L.jpg) does it look like the edges are weird? Or like a weird graininess came in? I don't know what I did, or maybe I've been staring at this one too long.
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    winger wrote:
    Ok I have lines6219075-M.jpg
    Yo Winger - I liked this one when you showed it to me a few days ago. BUT, fix the horizon that tad bit, brighten up the sky, put some more contrast on those pole shadows, maybe add some detail to the sand.

Got it? Good that should keep you busy all weekend. Come borrow my Photoshop book if you need it...

rolleyes1.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Ok, I tried this one again:

6718954-M.jpg

I like the colors better, little USM, now something still doesn't look right. If you take a look at the Large version (http://doctorit.smugmug.com/photos/6718954-L.jpg) does it look like the edges are weird? Or like a weird graininess came in? I don't know what I did, or maybe I've been staring at this one too long.
    I think it's the asphalt! It turned really grainey (?) for some reason.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    I think it's the asphalt! It turned really grainey (?) for some reason.
    Probably this was USM. What were the values? Try looking at a 100% zoom while USM'ing. First turn amount up all the way and threshold down all the way and play with radius until it's as big as you can get it without obscuring detail anywhere. Then adjust threshold upward so that you aren't getting sharpening you don't want, like on the asphalt or whatever but still are sharpening things you do want. Lastly, turn down amount until it actually looks good.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    Andy, are you here/there? Attn:
    andy wrote:
    i'm in sf again, and i went up to the marin headlands and shot the gg bridge, and the city, again. was hoping for a moonrise but alas, the city's famous fog settled in. i settled for this:

6716755-S.jpg

some lines, some curves for ya. shot with my 10d, 16-35L f/2.8 aboard, 10 secs at f/4.5

cheers all!
    Hey, Andy, I am now inspired, and I will run right out there and take that photo, or one just like it. HEHE I was going to mention that I went through books last night and big bridges make very good curve subjects. Have you tried stopping in the middle of the bridge, might get some dramatic photos, I saw one in the book, cool. (Here we would be arrested)

Also macro. I would have tried some macro shots, not my normal thing, but I would have. And staircases, I think one of those is mandatory.

But I do have this concern re my photo, I am beginning to think of it as my orphan child. I notice that it is not as "tall" as the others, mine are not, mine are about 500 pixels, others run about 600, I think. And it is not framed, so I feel kind of like the poor picture needs something..... It is the whole shot, I mean it is not a cropped photo, so I can't add more to the top that way. (It fits all the criteria for last weeks assignment, except a small bit of clean up work with the clone tool, not much done at all. Composed in the camera)

Andy, I have a serious question. Maybe others might like to know and maybe they wouldn't, but I would. Why do you frame your photos? I mean just personally why? Not whether we should, but why do you?

Also, do you frame them for the contests that you enter, in any way.

I am really bothered by my little fence shot, sure looks good in a frame, better, I think, but I lose "size" if I frame it. Though, I do think that if I use the browser, it does not appear to lose size and they have a bit of black around them, then white outside that. I think it makes the pictures look even bigger. That is by not going through Smugmug, I think. The picture right above mine has that effect.

Do you really like your frames as a presentation method, or is it to get your name on it or what? Do you frame for contests?

ginger

Thanks, I would really appreciate it if you would address this issue in your thinking, not what we should do, but why you do whatever, and what you have heard on it.

6721176-S.jpg

6691940-S.jpg

I feel like such an idiot, agonizing over this each Challenge.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    Don't wait for....
    One rotated and one rotated/cropped....

2577_ducks_sr.jpg

2577_ducks_csr.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    How bout these? I think I like the duotone on the second one.
    lines1_ni.jpg
    lines2_ni.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 30, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    6688637-Th.jpg
    Lovely shot Rutt, it would be good to see you and your dog walking down that road
    Or maybe just the dog with its famous camo green ball?Laughing.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 30, 2004
    winger wrote:
    Ok
    Here I have curves5549096-M.jpg

I think this is a very dramatic image if you can capture and display the tonalities in the lighter and the darker areas equally. This may require more than one shot to combine them in PS or may require two shots created from one RAW file to capture the detail in the highlights and the shadows.

This is an edit from home - We need to be very careful how we evaluate images because at work the dark part of this image seemed without detail, but on my calibrated monitor at home this is quite lovely as is. My apologies for my previous statements.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Probably this was USM. What were the values? Try looking at a 100% zoom while USM'ing. First turn amount up all the way and threshold down all the way and play with radius until it's as big as you can get it without obscuring detail anywhere. Then adjust threshold upward so that you aren't getting sharpening you don't want, like on the asphalt or whatever but still are sharpening things you do want. Lastly, turn down amount until it actually looks good.
    i kinda like the grainy asphalt - its on a seperate layer from the mini at this point. So I USM'd them differently. Maybe I'll try again, but I think I'm through with this one. I start to hate my photos when I mess with them too much. Plus, I'd rather go out and shoot more than beat this one to death. But as usual, thanks for the comments.
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    Erik, I think you just made my head explode with all the photoshop stuff. Maybe you could show me sometime while I am work :D.
    I guess I should stop be scared of it and just sit down and play with it.

As for the texas state capital dome shot, I have only been shooting in Jpeg, cause the Raw stuff scares me even more than photoshop. And lately I have been doing most of the stuff on my laptop, which I also need for school so I dont want to make it blow up just yet.

Here are the ducklings the other way. hehe. I should go back to Boston with my camera and go on a spree (especially since I maybe moving out of the area soon.

3408244-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    winger wrote:
    Erik, I think you just made my head explode with all the photoshop stuff. Maybe you could show me sometime while I am work :D.

As for the texas state capital dome shot, I have only been shooting in Jpeg, cause the Raw stuff scares me even more than photoshop. And lately I have been doing most of the stuff on my laptop, which I also need for school so I dont want to make it blow up just yet.
    1. keep giving me pizza and i'll show you a few things (not that I know all too much)

2. its ok that you don't have it raw. you can still "develop" the picture 2 ways and then combine them, harder, but similar process.

Mostly, dig through here for tips. The Digital darkroom challenges are a great place to start. That'll get you going with selecting those dark areas and light areas in your dome shot.
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    One rotated and one rotated/cropped....
    Charles, Iike your marching ducks, rotated and the second one, too.

ginger
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    winger wrote:

Here are the ducklings the other way. hehe. I should go back to Boston with my camera and go on a spree (especially since I maybe moving out of the area soon.
    Yea, I took them from that direction also but the curve of their line shows better from the rear view (IMHO)

Ginger;
    Thanks. Which do you like better, cropped or just rotated?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    How bout these? I think I like the duotone on the second one.
    Spockling, I like the duotone, also. What is the difference between a duotone and sepia?

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    winger wrote:

3408244-S.jpg

I like this one best, but I am confused. Are these community ducks?
    On the rotated vs straight, I like the rotated best, something different, and the white is like a frame, and remember I am the framing maniac.

ginger
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    I ripped off the ankle brace and drove myself back to this waterfall and there were men fishing!!! so I pushed them in.. no just kidding.. I went back AGAIN and retook the shot. I'm not sure whether to crop the top out more.. is it any better?? and is it any good? don't worry bout my feelings.. it's all a learning curve for me..:D
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I ripped off the ankle brace and drove myself back to this waterfall and there were men fishing!!! so I pushed them in.. no just kidding.. I went back AGAIN and retook the shot. I'm not sure whether to crop the top out more.. is it any better?? and is it any good? don't worry bout my feelings.. it's all a learning curve for me..:D
    I like the new version Lynn thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    ginger's question on framing
    this has come up a lot, and i'm happy to address it.

i'm not a fan of fancy frames, the ones that mimic what a real picture frame looks like.

but i do feel like "finishing off" my shots for web presentment in some manner. i feel that a simple white border, and a small bit of shadowing, enhances the viewing effect. now some like it, some don't, that's okay becuase the great thing about our art is that it's very subjective. to me, when i frame it the way i do, it says: okay folks, here's a shot i'm happy with, proud of, and want to share it with you (or via my public website). i also put my name stamp on it and company id so that the image is declared as mine.

in the end though, it's really a matter of personal taste mwink.gif

thanks for asking the question. did i answer it well enough for you? holler if you'd like more ....

ginger_55 wrote:
    Hey, Andy, I am now inspired, and I will run right out there and take that photo, or one just like it. HEHE I was going to mention that I went through books last night and big bridges make very good curve subjects. Have you tried stopping in the middle of the bridge, might get some dramatic photos, I saw one in the book, cool. (Here we would be arrested)

Also macro. I would have tried some macro shots, not my normal thing, but I would have. And staircases, I think one of those is mandatory.

But I do have this concern re my photo, I am beginning to think of it as my orphan child. I notice that it is not as "tall" as the others, mine are not, mine are about 500 pixels, others run about 600, I think. And it is not framed, so I feel kind of like the poor picture needs something..... It is the whole shot, I mean it is not a cropped photo, so I can't add more to the top that way. (It fits all the criteria for last weeks assignment, except a small bit of clean up work with the clone tool, not much done at all. Composed in the camera)

Andy, I have a serious question. Maybe others might like to know and maybe they wouldn't, but I would. Why do you frame your photos? I mean just personally why? Not whether we should, but why do you?

Also, do you frame them for the contests that you enter, in any way.

I am really bothered by my little fence shot, sure looks good in a frame, better, I think, but I lose "size" if I frame it. Though, I do think that if I use the browser, it does not appear to lose size and they have a bit of black around them, then white outside that. I think it makes the pictures look even bigger. That is by not going through Smugmug, I think. The picture right above mine has that effect.

Do you really like your frames as a presentation method, or is it to get your name on it or what? Do you frame for contests?

ginger

Thanks, I would really appreciate it if you would address this issue in your thinking, not what we should do, but why you do whatever, and what you have heard on it.

6721176-S.jpg

6691940-S.jpg

I feel like such an idiot, agonizing over this each Challenge.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    andy wrote:
    this has come up a lot, and i'm happy to address it.

i'm not a fan of fancy frames, the ones that mimic what a real picture frame looks like.

but i do feel like "finishing off" my shots for web presentment in some manner. i feel that a simple white border, and a small bit of shadowing, enhances the viewing effect. now some like it, some don't, that's okay becuase the great thing about our art is that it's very subjective. to me, when i frame it the way i do, it says: okay folks, here's a shot i'm happy with, proud of, and want to share it with you (or via my public website). i also put my name stamp on it and company id so that the image is declared as mine.

in the end though, it's really a matter of personal taste mwink.gif

thanks for asking the question. did i answer it well enough for you? holler if you'd like more ....
    Yes, Andy, you could not have explained yourself better..........from my perspective. I only frame the ones I am proud of, not the ones I am trying to prop up, I overwork those until they are too weird to show.

Thank you very much for putting my thoughts into words.

Ginger

(Not usually at a loss for words, think I may have been intimidated by all the great photographers here. Yet, the creative side of my brain would not let the other side alone, or something like that. I just wanted that frame, in my gut, and I thought it was wrong........ as a serious photographer, on the other side of my brain.

I feel so good when I finish a photograph and present it, but only the really good ones, IMO, do I frame. That is my message that I really like it, and that is what you said.)

In fact my signature, Photography by ginger, says a lot from me. I don't think people pick up on that, but it is very important to me.

In a disagreement with my husband over something with my photography, I said, "I sign my pictures", not meaning that literally, but somewhere, if it is serious stuff, there are the words, Photography by ginger, note the small "g", everything means something to me. And that means, I take responsibility, am proud of it, etc. So he had to learn not to make decisions for me with other people.

I just couldn't get a handle on the framing thing..........thanks, muchly

ginger
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I like the new version Lynn thumb.gif
    another version.. I'm not sure...
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    It's like the reflection thing. Nothing going on and the next thing you know everything is lines and curves. Even when I'm trying hard to lead a balanced life and take some photos that aren't monomaniacal.

6698407-L.jpg
    Hey, I've gotten no feedback on this one. Does it really just not work? I thought it was a pretty cool take on the theme. My skin is thick, negative critiques are just as welcome as positive ones.
    If not now, when?