Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    Trolley Station
    6690946-L.jpg

I went back to the color original on this. It seems better than a B&W to me now. What do you think? Does it need more contrast? I don't want to lose the bottom part in the shadows.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    Or I have this one...
    Flying Buttress

6692422-L.jpg

Comments please.. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    FaithFaith Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2004
    Mewsette
    Here is my kitty. She loves iloveyou.gif my camera. Every time I take a picture of here she just has to find out what is going on.

I think her whiskers are wonderful curved lines and her ears are very nice curves. I feel like I am cheating because I just took a picture of her, but she is beautiful.

Is she too cute for a photo contest? My boyfriend thinks so.

6689208-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Comments Anyone? Process was USM, LAB, Curves, RGB, Convert to B/W, USM.

1_ni.jpg

It sounds like you did a lot of work on this and I think it was worth it.
    thumb.gif She looks lonley and I know how that feels.
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    Faith wrote:
    She looks lonley and I know how that feels.
    "Is she too cute for a photo contest? My boyfriend thinks so."

Sounds like time to dump the miserable boyfriend and find someone with a bit of of buzz for life.

You should pop down to 'wide angle' post a rant and maybe a photo of the 'loved one' and I'm sure you will get some good advice on how to deal with 'negative attitude'....

Your pic's are just fine.... thumb.gif

Bod...
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    #$#(* lines and curves
    It's like the reflection thing. Nothing going on and the next thing you know everything is lines and curves. Even when I'm trying hard to lead a balanced life and take some photos that aren't monomaniacal.

6698407-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    spockling wrote:

I like it very much, strong repeating theme and attractive/optimized tonal range. thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    Itchy Girl
    I entered this image, shot last night, just to remind myself to get busy in the coming days and shoot something better. Lynn, I can't crop less tightly because I shot it that tight (on purpose), but yeah, a bit more ear and leg would have been helpful. headscratch.gif Off to Auburn tomorrow for the 50th Tevis (endurance) ride, shooting it, hopefully I'll find something there more interesting. Like the No Hands bridge.

6687543-M.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Flying Buttress

6692422-S.jpg

Comments please.. ne_nau.gif

Snappy, I washed my hair :D, before that I stole your other photo and tried cropping it. I thought about it in the shower, I usually get ideas there.
    Nothing.

What I am really thinking is, "What are you trying to say?", "What are you focused on?". A city is teeming with things, people, rats, whatever, they are there. But they can't go in the same photo. Now I feel terrible.

I think I know what is happening. One, I think you see something I don't, but I think, IMHO, that you need to come in tighter and show it to me.

I read from some photographer sometime that when he goes somewhere "new" on a shoot, he spends the day before, the night before, whatever time he has, going around taking photographs just to get them out of his system, so he can settle down for the assignment.

I remember that a lot. For myself. I do it, I get somewhere, and I take photos on the first day that are not the better photos on the second day. I am nice to myself because I remember what that photographer said about "new" places.

You know your home so well, I was so jealous because all you have to do is put two hills, mtns, whatever, together, and you would have a really good photo. Now, remember, that is not the photo you would probably get, as I never get what I imagine. But I think it would be lovely, lots of curves, back rds, curving, all sorts of things. And you are so used to them and so bored that you would isolate them so I would know what you are trying to show me.

So, that is what I think. Basically, I think there is too much in your "city" scapes for me to "see" what you see.

Now, someone is going to come along and contradict me, I am sure. I hope they do, but I don't know what else to say. Sid said he shoots like I do, a gazillion photos to get the right one, and he is a city photographer, I think.

By the way, I do like that one photo better in color, smile, too.

ginger wave.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    Faith wrote:
    It sounds like you did a lot of work on this and I think it was worth it.
    thumb.gif She looks lonley and I know how that feels.
    Spockling, your picture of the girl, and lines, must be good, I am starting to feel very sad every time I see it.

Is she your daughter? Someone you know? Did you take away her favorite thing?

I am not seeing the lines as much as I am the emotion in the girl.

It is a very compelling photo.

ginger:D
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    Kart Tire
    My first submission to a contest. :) The circles are obvious (tires, brake, gears), the line is the axle, frame. I used to race these. A friend is keeping his kart in my garage for a month. Bad mistake... Working on some other interesting shots that one might not normally take of a car/kart.

Also first use of my new 50/1.4 lens. :) This was at f/4.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Snappy, I washed my hair :D, before that I stole your other photo and tried cropping it.

What I am really thinking is, "What are you trying to say?", "What are you focused on?". A city is teeming with things, people, rats, whatever, they are there. But they can't go in the same photo. Now I feel terrible.

I think I know what is happening. One, I think you see something I don't, but I think, IMHO, that you need to come in tighter and show it to me.

So, that is what I think. Basically, I think there is too much in your "city" scapes for me to "see" what you see.

Now, someone is going to come along and contradict me, I am sure. I hope they do, but I don't know what else to say. Sid said he shoots like I do, a gazillion photos to get the right one, and he is a city photographer, I think.

By the way, I do like that one photo better in color, smile, too.

ginger wave.gif

I'm sorry Ginger, what do you mean. Which picture do you think needs cropping. Certainly not the one in your post. It is already cropped down to two lines and two arches. I'm trying to show the bold line of the roof here, with two colorful arched windows.

The other photo you like better in color, do you mean the trolly station. What I am trying to show you is the many lines of the steel structure, including curves in the roof. The subtle color of the lights add to it, I think. The two people walking at the bottom right give it scale. Do you think this needs more cropping? Please explain.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    Spockling, I tried a little rotation here
    spockling wrote:

I just tilted it to the left a little and cloned in the wall and the ground to fill in. What do you think? I love the picture, regardless of the lines, which are good, the girl is great. There is a story there.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    spockling wrote:

I just tilted it to the left a little and cloned in the wall and the ground to fill in. What do you think? I love the picture, regardless of the lines, which are good, the girl is great. There is a story there.
    Hey, Snappy, you really did something good with that picture. It was good in the first place, but now I am seeing the lines better. Even the girl fits better however you did it.thumb.gif

Yes, the one I liked better in color is the trolly one, I think that is what you called it.:D

I don't know what I mean. You know, I am going to hang up the computer, but I did want to say something, but I didn't know what to say.

So, I wouldn't pay that much attention to it. We all know I am photography "tired", glad to be taking a break.

I probably won't be able to think of a single photo in Wide Angle, but I will be glad to slap one lens on, if I can't get it with that, and on the short end, haha, it isn't eligible.

But for now I am through, so I was just trying to meddle in everyone else's photos. I am going to rest. Tennis tomorrow.

You know, it kind of takes away from the "blue moon" trip not to know that I have to take photos. I mean I can, but I don't Have to. Maybe it will rain, and I will watch a DVD, or torment the rest of you while waiting for my husband to come home from his weeklong "away" work thing.

ginger
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    I'm finding this challenge quite difficult.. I'm muttering "lines and curves, lines and curves" where ever I go... Is anyone else?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    That's an awesome shot Lynn...yeah!
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm finding this challenge quite difficult.. I'm muttering "lines and curves, lines and curves" where ever I go... Is anyone else?
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Mitch...
    WoW.... Your brain coral is absolutely beautiful! Excellent first submission!

I like the color, and the texture of the coral... Good example of lines and curves. I might mess around a bit with cropping just to see if it would work.

ginette
    Thanks for your kind comments. I would be interested in any cropping advice to make this more interesting.

mitch
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    I am seeing a strong moire pattern that is distracting. You might try dropping the first USM.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    Waterfall
    I like how your photo is calm on the right, then gets into motion as the water falls, then into chaos on the left.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    Wow!
    lynnma wrote:

Lynn,
    That's quite a line. It looks like a good one for wide angle too. Heheheh.
    Great shot thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 29, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I think your shot of the dam has real potential appeal, Lynn, but I do find the large blown out areas distracting. I examined your image and have outlined where there is no information. All pixels are 255,255,255 inside the red lines I drew on your image.

Could you shoot again and try to hold some detail here - I know there are specular highlights in this image, but this big an area has to be dealt with I think. Like I said, I like the composition and the golden color of the water, but would like to be able to see some of the water surface also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    My Little Girl

Thanks to all who responded. With your comments in mind I made some changes. This is actually a different picture than the first. I took the advise of losing the first USM and voila! Moire gone. (That's a new for me). I straightened up the picture using a different reference point. The first time I used the flagpoles. Thought they'd be straight. By the way...she didn't do anything wrong, or have anything taken away. This was on the way out the zoo this morning and she just posed this for me.iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    6688637-Th.jpg
    Lovely shot Rutt, it would be good to see you and your dog walking down that road
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Lynn,
    I agree with pathfinder, and if you do get a chance to reshoot, I wondered what it would be like if you got more of the calm side in to help dramatise the waterfall and rocks. Maybe a 50/50 diagonal split ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    6688637-Th.jpg
    Lovely shot Rutt, it would be good to see you and your dog walking down that road
    That's a good suggestion, but I don't quite know how to accomplish. Will work on it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think your shot of the dam has real potential appeal, Lynn, but I do find the large blown out areas distracting. I examined your image and have outlined where there is no information. All pixels are 255,255,255 inside the red lines I drew on your image.

Could you shoot again and try to hold some detail here - I know there are specular highlights in this image, but this big an area has to be dealt with I think. Like I said, I like the composition and the golden color of the water, but would like to be able to see some of the water surface also.
    Yes you are right Path. I need to look at the raw again or reshoot completely. I was in denial about the blown out parts:D

I just looked at a the raw again and there's no hope.. it was late in the day and the light was low but I think it might be worth a return trip? what do you think is it? it's not too hard to get to which is appealing :D By the way Path. Thanks for taking the time to critique so well, it's so helpful.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Yes you are right Path. I need to look at the raw again or reshoot completely. I was in denial about the blown out parts:D
    Lynn, it's very likely that you can recover the blown parts via raw conversion , highlight/shadows, plate blending, and curves. The whole battery of Dan Margulis type moves. Just ask if you need some help. Clue: convert very dark and then do highlight/shadows, LAB curves.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Lynn, it's very likely that you can recover the blown parts via raw conversion , highlight/shadows, plate blending, and curves. The whole battery of Dan Margulis type moves. Just ask if you need some help. Clue: convert very dark and then do highlight/shadows, LAB curves.
    I dunno Rutt.. I just looked at it and it's pretty blown out in RAW but I may have a go later. Do you want to have at it?
    I'm loading it up in Smugmug.. this is right up your alley. But I'm going to reshoot for the challenge maybe. I'll pm you.:D
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:
    "Is she too cute for a photo contest? My boyfriend thinks so."

Sounds like time to dump the miserable boyfriend and find someone with a bit of of buzz for life.

You should pop down to 'wide angle' post a rant and maybe a photo of the 'loved one' and I'm sure you will get some good advice on how to deal with 'negative attitude'....

Your pic's are just fine.... thumb.gif

Bod...

My boyfriend is really really nice. He's just a little hard to please sometimes. Last night he showed me how to use photoshop to crop my pictures and some other things that I'm still trying to understand. Do you like my kitty better now?

6715240-L.jpg
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    My Little Girl

Thanks to all who responded. With your comments in mind I made some changes. This is actually a different picture than the first. I took the advise of losing the first USM and voila! Moire gone. (That's a new for me). I straightened up the picture using a different reference point. The first time I used the flagpoles. Thought they'd be straight. By the way...she didn't do anything wrong, or have anything taken away. This was on the way out the zoo this morning and she just posed this for me.iloveyou.gif
    Glad my suggestion vis a vis the USM/moire worked. Probably straightening the image also helped. As a general rule moire patterns are caused by interactions between varying angles of straight lines. In images the stepping of pixels can make moire patterns leap out at you. Anything that reduces the resolution or which increases inter-pixel contrast increases the possibility of a moire pattern. Jpeg compression and USM both decrease true resolution by reducing image content and USM's mechanism is to increase inter-pixel contrast. So you never gain by doing USM until the last step. It is more work but you will get much better final images if you turn off the in camera sharpening.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph