>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 3, 2004
    6770329-M.jpg

6786275-M.jpg
    rutt wrote:
    This looks like you might have settled into a deep LAB curve groove. True? Or it some other tool?

In any case, I also like the second one better. The first on has a blue cast (check the values on the asphalt, blue asphalt is an impossible color that is often the result of some sort of PS move), which makes me think the second was closer to the original. True? The ground just to the right of the lamp posts is a little disturbing. I'd either like to see this in complete shadow or be able to see more detail. Now it looks like it's in fog or something or perhaps just didn't get the attention it deserved (or perhaps too much attention). But somehow, it doesn't seem quite real.

I like the composition. Nice vertical wide angle.
    These two pictures are not as compelling as Rutt's Butt.ne_nau.gif Sorry. And as Rutt ruminated - I am using the LAB space for more and more color corrections, but not really here.

These are duotones of a sort. The two pictures are from the same original file, shot with a 250mm lens late on a grey overcast day. I wanted to emphasize the straight lines and the curves, and to foreshorten the distance between the poles. Both images were converted to B&W via LAB to greyscale. The plan was to emphasize lines and curves.

The blue version was then blended with a blue layer in an attempt to create a platinum print like look - which is why the road looks blue to Rutts eye.. The sky was then selected and a blue gradient dropped in for the blue of the sky. But I though there might be too much blue, and several posters preferred the orange.

The orange version was created from a B&W created via LAB to Greyscale and then blended with a yellow-orange layer to create a kind of sepia tone. The image was then brought back to RGB and the sky was selected and an orange gradient applied. I thought this might be a more acceptable image of a late afternoon sunset type of sky.

The images are sharp, but lack emotional interest? Like waxy says - It lacks that second hook? Maybe a bird in the sky, or a bicyclist on the road or what?? Any thoughts about the emotional content of this image? Rutt, Ginger, Waxy,Spockling, cmr164? Anyone prefer my sluice box instead?

6769209-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    Pathfinder, I hope you don't mind my commenting...
    pathfinder wrote:

6769209-S.jpg

I do prefer the sluice box. The black and white in this photo has more oomph. It has a bold line across the picture and all the legs/posts. Dare I say, I think that makes the lines a prominent feature of this picture. I really like the idea of the first two pictures. The orange tone does add a nice sunset type feeling to it. But, as you say, it does seem to need something to give it some emotion. It's allowable to bring in another element from another picture if you have one. Remember Andy's horse in the mist? Well, for what it's worth (not much at all) that's just my humble opinion.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    This has a lot of promise, Spockling. Those color bands are very interesting. The curvy path leading up to them is almost too much! It needs some tweaking and a minor cropping, IMHO, but has the makings of an excellent final product. Nice work. Where'd you shoot it?
    Spockling, I like this. As Sid said it has potential. I would put it that it is almost there.

And maybe Sid and I mean the same thing. I, too, was getting a bit caught up in criteria, scared to say anything constructive.

But your photo did catch my eye, in a nice way, when I first saw it. I love the colors, gosh what a abstract one could make, in addition to the straight shots.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    How sweet...
    AltPro wrote:
    Wow... Like I said earlier... this challenge is moving with all of the comments. Really have to work to keep up.

• STAN: I had sand on the sensor, the parachute would not keep still and I thought I was shooting RAW not JPEG. so not much went right for me but for what it's worth... let me know
    STAN... WoW on the parachute... Great lines, great curves, but what really makes it IMHO is the lighting. Very nicely done.thumb.gif

• Lynn: methinks this may be too "busy" but I thought I'd throw it up for grabs...
    Lynn... I like your water scene... I caught the vert. lines and the gentle curve of the creek... Also like the smooth surface of the water... Hmm, another reflection?clap.gif

Here are two copies of what I've been working on today... I'm fairly happy with the results, (although I realize that it may cause a few raised eyebrows at first. Things are often not what they may appear to be at first glance...)
    I am fairly certain that I prefer the tri-tone image... But I would really appreciate comments on this.

ginette

Color

6855876-S.jpg

Tri-Tone

6855878-S.jpg
    "RoRy's Bum"

Ginette, I like this one very much. Has nice curvie lines, even in the hand :). I think it's precious. IMHO And I think I like the subtlety of the toned version.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    And another one..
    I wouldn't think of entering this one at all. Lines are too subtle, but the masts do make lines.

6853676-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    You said, because of where I live, I can *just* go out and find two hills and I would have a curve. Well, It's not quite as easy as you might think, but here it is.

Sunrise

6849829-S.jpg

Even though I really need some rest, I just couldn't stop myself from taking pictures. I'm still hanging in there. :)

Snappy, I am so glad to see this photograph. And so glad to hear your "voice"!

You know why you are taking pictures, hehe, because you are an artist and a photographer.

On the repetitve line shot, I think I saw it in a book, without the background at the top. And at about 2 o'clock, or at some strategic point, one person was sitting. Quite striking.

If you put someone at a strategic point in that photo, no one would ever know that anyone had ever done it before, lol. (Everything has been done before, but not by us)

I love that you are here, and the mtns, the mtns. You mean great mtn shots are not easy. Yours is very good, maybe a bit of tweaking to separate things, but it is so good to "see" you. Thank you for the mtn!

ginger (Is the sun coming, or going?) iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Anything?????

lines8.jpg
    lines9.jpg
    My thoughts... The curves and lines are there but I think you were to far away, a focus on the architectual design might have worked better here. I look at it and see great angles that might have been pursued. Now that said I may have taken 50+ pictures at the same spot and have nothing materialize . But I see the potential.:D

Steve I might have gone more down and focused more on the right hand side of the bridge looking up.Or I might have focused on the arches with sweet light and hope for some activity if possible.
    I think the location has possible killer potential. Just that the photo is to broad in scope.
    Savy?

Tim
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    Ginger, the title is "Sunrise"
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Snappy, I am so glad to see this photograph. And so glad to hear your "voice"!

You know why you are taking pictures, hehe, because you are an artist and a photographer.

I love that you are here, and the mtns, the mtns. You mean great mtn shots are not easy. Yours is very good, maybe a bit of tweaking to separate things, but it is so good to "see" you. Thank you for the mtn!

ginger (Is the sun coming, or going?) iloveyou.gif

Yes, some tweaking. I used levels or something on the dark area to bring up the detail, but it doesn't show up here. I see more on my monitor. There are a bunch of houses there, so I really don't want to see too much of them. Just a hint. I can try some more.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    Last one for today...
    This may be way off on the colors, but I did think it showed off those lines. Have to make them scream and shout...

Convention Center

6849832-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    This may be way off on the colors, but I did think it showed off those lines. Have to make them scream and shout...

Convention Center

6849832-S.jpg

Snappy, I really like this. You have been busy haven't you. Sorry I didn't notice the Sunrise title, it is later here. That is my best excuse.

I do like this, the background does make the lines and curves snap.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    Ginger,
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Snappy, I really like this. You have been busy haven't you. Sorry I didn't notice the Sunrise title, it is later here. That is my best excuse.

I do like this, the background does make the lines and curves snap.

ginger

I just noticed, it's past 1 AM where you are. Don't you ever sleep? Yawn... I'm so tired. It's just past 10 and I'm dead. Thanks so much for being there and saying something, anything, about my pictures. It means a lot to me. I haven't even had time to go back and read this thread. There must be 10 pages since I last looked. I can't keep up. Don't have the time. Must rest. Thanks again Ginger. Good night. Until tomorrow. :sweet
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    andy wrote:
    rutt- i'm so glad you are learning and find this worthwhile. we're going to keep this format for a while. pioneering - i like that. well, let's get some more cowboys and girls on this here trail ride! we've got horses (lynnsite) and half-butted, half-nekkid women! what an adventure!

your benevolent host has spoken....

OK, benevolent host...I might withdraw the latest horse shot in favor of the first of these three:
    6860546-M-1.jpg
    6861784-M-1.jpg
    6861945-M.jpg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    6769209-S.jpg

I like the colour one. The extra detail gives you a couple of clues about what's going on. I think "context" is the word I'm looking for :D
    Is the sluice supplying a water wheel?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    6769207-Th.jpg
    "I was shooting at ISO 800"
    I am really pleased with my Oly 8080, but when I see the clarity you guys get at high iso's it makes me think that I should have gone for a DSLR... oh well!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    s0me nice curves here
    i like the simple elegance of this shot, and the pastely colors of the sky. you got some fine d.r. in the shadows, too, snapapple, congrats on a fine photo.

snapapple wrote:
    You said, because of where I live, I can *just* go out and find two hills and I would have a curve. Well, It's not quite as easy as you might think, but here it is.

Sunrise

6849829-S.jpg

Even though I really need some rest, I just couldn't stop myself from taking pictures. I'm still hanging in there. :)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    thanks chas ...
    cmr164 wrote:
    Would you like to meet for coffee or drinks? There are a lot of us here in Beantown.

perhaps next time! i'm just jammed today.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    snapapple wrote:

Convention Center
    6787386-Ti.jpg
    I like this. A lot. Those lines pop for sure.

Doug
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    These don't qualify since both old, but I think they fit the theme... Maybe they will inspire someone, who knows. I'm on a car kick this week - must to get out and shoot - must get out and shoot...

2945279-L.jpg

3580513-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Sunrise

6849829-S.jpg
    This is a very attractive photo. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    6860546-S-1.jpg

Time to work some photoshop magic. The patterns and subject matter are great in this one, very attention getting and provocative. Cool shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    OK, benevolent host...I might withdraw the latest horse shot in favor of the first of these three:
    6860546-Th-1.jpg
    6861784-Th-1.jpg
    6861945-Th.jpg
    I love all three of these. The luggage shot is funny in a way we don't usually see. The last one screams lines and curves. The middle one is probably the nicest picture, but I think you might be in danger of not being on message (but I just don't seem to be able to nail this down, as you probably know.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    A couple more.....
    lines10.jpg
    lines11.jpg
    lines12.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Time to work some photoshop magic. The patterns and subject matter are great in this one, very attention getting and provocative. Cool shot.

Cool shot Lynn. The lines are not screaming at me, but I see them. That aside, the picture is well seen. It has a story to tell.

Sid, what photoshop magic do you have in mind? I'm curious. What does it need?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    spockling, i like the fence post...
    spockling wrote:
    A couple more.....
    lines10.jpg
    lines11.jpg
    lines12.jpg

the mown grass is right on topic, i'd say. the lines and curves are prominent. but, something is just not right. i think it may be too sharpened. the bright green seems too bold. the things in the background have bumpy edges. i think unsharp mask may be the culprit. try keeping it soft and just use some levels and curves on it. i see lots of potential here.

the fence post - it's simplicity is wonderful. i love barbed wire shots and wooden fences. i like the background misty and soft. i'm not too good at spotting what different shots need for improvement, but i think the other guys may be able to be more constructive here. i don't do black and white too well. all i can say is i really like it, a lot.

the last one has great curves. still needs something though. it's not quite grabbing me yet. gosh, i wish i could put my finger on it. i'll look at it some more. i'm not an expert like some others. still trying to learn myself, but i want to let you know i see some good things here. you've really been out there shooting. good for you.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    Thoughts and comments...
    6853680-S.jpg

Snappy
    ... I am so very glad that you are back... Nice to see that you did not just run away. I always look forward to seeing your work.. I really find myself drawn to the idea of the stairs. I've seen it done many times before, yet it always seems to work. I find myself wondering what surprising "thing" could be sitting on the stairs to draw the eye... Maybe a child, balled up... or a dog sleeping... Something round. You could even PS it in if you're good at shadows...
    6849832-S.jpg

And I like this one... Sort of "poster-ish," but no question regarding "lines & curves!" I see more lines and curves in the palm trees! Have you tried other color combos? Could be fun.

Also Thank You for presenting a comment on RoRy's Bum... Like I said in an earlier post, sometimes I feel as if I am banging my head and getting no where. One comment is better than none, I suppose.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Lynnesite... This one is very pretty, and to my minds eye, right on target! Brings up memories of my Grandparents home, and the fencing around the back yard... A restful image, to sey the least. Very cool in tone. I like the blade of seeding grass, too.
    6861945-S.jpg
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    RuTT... I played around with your "BuTT" shot... Had fun... Still, I think I may like the original best.?. Again, Great Shot!
    6871910-M.jpg

6871885-M.jpg

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    what do we think of this after some ps. Is it any good for lines and curves?
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

Lynn, I like what you have done with this shot!! The original was nice, but didn't grab my attention. By softening the margins, you really bring focus to the curve of the stream. Good effort and improvement with PS.

mitchthumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Lynnesite[/color][/b]... This one is very pretty, and to my minds eye, right on target! Brings up memories of my Grandparents home, and the fencing around the back yard... A restful image, to sey the least. Very cool in tone. I like the blade of seeding grass, too. ginette

Thanks, it was the fence around a graveyard in Foresthill, CA (near Auburn ).

I really liked your cannon wheels shot, and wonder if you tried it in bw or sepia? Really strong on the theme, and an all around contender IMHO.

Lynne
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Lynn, I find the areas in red to be distracting as they seem blurred. Don't know if it can be fixedne_nau.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Lynn, I find the areas in red to be distracting as they seem blurred. Don't know if it can be fixedne_nau.gif
    yeah... you're right spock... I've lost the plot you see.. I'll have another go at it.:D thanks for comments.. appreciate it.