Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    6769209-S.jpg

I like this better than the road with the lights, but both are lacking hooks. The sluice is a technically perfect B&W image of wonderful historical artifact. But it doesn't express the love you probably feel for it. Compare this to your covered bridge shots, which really do convey great depth of feeling, peace, history, sense of place. This object deserves that, too. What's missing? Sumptious color (you knew I'd suggest that), great wood texture, an animal, an unusual angle? Some hook. As it is, it could be in a catalog of historical objects in Indiana, but not in National Geographic, if you know what I mean. But this thing has great lines and curves and the good news is it isn't going anywhere and your motorcycle is just sitting there.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    Calling all members...
    For challenge 16 there were 21 entries and Ginette would have made it 22, but was a couple minutes late. (What a bummer!)

For challenge 17 there were 20 entries.

Andy says we need more entries. The names that were missing last time were, Greaper, Surfphoto, Bryan, FreeUps, Ondrovic. Where are you guys? There could be 25 entries with just your input. (Make that 27 - there are two new people already on the list this time. Welcome HackyMoto and DJ-S1.) I'm sure you have some lines and curves around where you live. If you are reading this thread, please use it for ideas and go out and snap a few. Come on, join in. If I can do it, you can. "Just put two hills together and you have a curve". mwink.gif

Let's see your entry. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2039&stc=1

I have to agree with both you and Andy here. It is too busy and it is close. I don't think blur is the way to go here. Instead you want to figure out how to make the curve of the stream dominate the picture instead of the vegataion along the side. I think you should try to do this with global moves like curves and plate blending instead of with local moves like selections and the blur tool. A creative crop might also emphasize the curve.

What if you reshot in the sweet light of dawn or dusk? You might catch some color in the water and the vegatation would be darker. Perhaps a higher angle would also make the stream curve more apparent.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 3, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    6769209-S.jpg

I like this better than the road with the lights, but both are lacking hooks. The sluice is a technically perfect B&W image of wonderful historical artifact. But it doesn't express the love you probably feel for it. Compare this to your covered bridge shots, which really do convey great depth of feeling, peace, history, sense of place. This object deserves that, too. What's missing? Sumptious color (you knew I'd suggest that), great wood texture, an animal, an unusual angle? Some hook. As it is, it could be in a catalog of historical objects in Indiana, but not in National Geographic, if you know what I mean. But this thing has great lines and curves and the good news is it isn't going anywhere and your motorcycle is just sitting there.
    clap.gif

One solution would be to wait until fall and capture this with Falls colors - but I do not have that option for this Challenge - time is a consideration. I'll give this some more thought. There is no sumptious color at this site right now - but I'll give it another go. Thanks John, that rather accuarately reflects my thoughts also. I like your new career in fashion.rolleyes1.gif

I shot both the sluice and the lights with my eye on the topic assigned - Lines and Curves - rather than what really attracted me first, and then how do I display lines and curves. Hmmmmm.....Must be a message in here somewhere.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    clap.gif

One solution would be to wait until fall and capture this with Falls colors
    What if you shot it by moonlight with a tripod? Just a thought.

In B&W, the wood texture is critical. Some really advanced sharpening and B&W conversion techniques might save the day, but you have to get the light in the shot right. Maybe a couple of off camera flashes? Brush up on Dan Margulis "Sharpening with a Stelitto" and "Friend and Foe in B&W" chapters.

If the lighting on the wood is right, it will be beautiful in color, even if not bright.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    Thanks Ginette...
    AltPro wrote:
    6853680-S.jpg

Snappy
    ... I am so very glad that you are back... . I always look forward to seeing your work.. I really find myself drawn to the idea of the stairs. I've seen it done many times before, yet it always seems to work. I find myself wondering what surprising "thing" could be sitting on the stairs to draw the eye... Maybe a child, balled up... or a dog sleeping... Something round. You could even PS it in if you're good at shadows...
    6849832-S.jpg

And I like this one... Sort of "poster-ish," but no question regarding "lines & curves!" I see more lines and curves in the palm trees! Have you tried other color combos? Could be fun.

Also Thank You for presenting a comment on RoRy's Bum... Like I said in an earlier post, sometimes I feel as if I am banging my head and getting no where. One comment is better than none, I suppose.
    color]*~*~
    [/color]~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ginette

[/center]

Thanks Ginette, I appreciate the comment. But, I really didn't change the colors. I just selected adjustment layer> invert. It changed the blues to orange, the greens to purple, the red circles to aqua, and the blacks to white. It's nice in color, but doesn't really emphasize the lines. No matter what I do to it, I suspect the judges would not be impressed. Like my other buildings, it's just a building. Has no feeling, no emotion. I think it has great lines, as buildings go, but I doubt it's a good "contest photo". When I get "no comment" I figure there is nothing good to say. They don't want to hurt my feelings. I really think it's a great building. It's so dynamic. But, the only way to make a good "picture" would probably be to shoot it in some unusual way. With lightning overhead, at night, I don't know. I can't do night shots with my camera. Don't know how. I think it would be better to have a real photo, not a photshop conversion.
    Here it is in black and white. Anything?

6878362-L.jpg

I'll try to go back to those steps this week. I may be lucky. Otherwise, I just don't seem to have anything worthwile yet.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    Spockling, I love what you did to the fence...
    snapapple wrote:

the fence post - it's simplicity is wonderful. i love barbed wire shots and wooden fences. i like the background misty and soft. i'm not too good at spotting what different shots need for improvement, but i think the other guys may be able to be more constructive here. i don't do black and white too well. all i can say is i really like it, a lot.
    ... you've really been out there shooting. good for you.

I saw your entry. Looks great! :)
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    Snap, am at work now:cry , I want to try something to this picture tonight or tomorrow. Can you send me the link to the color one?

6878362-S.jpg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    try again
    Ive been here before...

6881742-L.jpg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    andy wrote:
    keep shooting and posting lines n curves! and keep helping others.
    I was thinking of some much less competitive activity. Bike racing, perhaps.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    yeah... you're right spock... I've lost the plot you see.. I'll have another go at it.:D thanks for comments.. appreciate it.

I hurt at the minute but I will not take it out on anyone, promise. One hour of drilling in the dentist's chair eek7.gif is enough. Lynn your original pic was all subtlety and I loved it. Yes, you have picked out the curve in the crop but the edges of the grass is not subtle. Anyway, beautiful as it is, don't change the wier submission.

Agronomist: one who advises on the economics of Agriculture, That'll make me a farmer then :)
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    6881753-S.jpg

Awesome, I got the top of the pic on the screen ( top of the page) and thought the bottom was a reflection as the page scrolled down
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    6769209-S.jpg

Rutt, you said that so well. Exactly what I was feeling. *And* exactly the problem my pictures have. No hook, no feeling. Thank you so much. I like Pathfinder's sluice box shot and I said so, but I knew someone else could say something more constructive. :D
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2004
    Sure Spock...
    spockling wrote:
    Snap, am at work now:cry , I want to try something to this picture tonight or tomorrow. Can you send me the link to the color one?

6878362-S.jpg

One color pic comming up:

before the crop:
    http://snapapple.smugmug.com/photos/6658673-L.jpg

after the crop:
    http://snapapple.smugmug.com/photos/6787385-L.jpg
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    This is the best I could come up with. I applied a gradient to it to emulate a sunset.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    Lines & Curves?
    SNAPPY...
    Here's one I had a little fun with...
    6913901-M.jpg
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    Ginette,
    AltPro wrote:
    SNAPPY...
    Here's one I had a little fun with...
    6913901-S.jpg
    ginette

Hey, cool colors. But, I don't know. I have a feeling, for a contest, the judges want to see our photography skills, not what our software can do. Yeah, we can use photoshop like crazy, but it probably shouldn't be obvious. Just a gut feeling here, I guess we could ask. I took this picture in midday light. That's the first problem. Early morning or late afternoon would have given better light.

About Rory's bumm - that's a beautiful idea. I think you need to work on the skin like Rutt did. Soft lighting, a little glamour blur to smooth the skin. I think you've got a real contender there. Go for it. :)
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    Spockling, great work, thanks...
    spockling wrote:
    This is the best I could come up with. I applied a gradient to it to emulate a sunset.

I think you're on the right track here. I feel like the color version is a good choice if we can overcome the flat light. Maybe I need to reshoot at sunset. I like the crop too. Just a few of the those buttresses make a better picture. Thanks a bunch. :)
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    I think you're on the right track here. I feel like the color version is a good choice if we can overcome the flat light. Maybe I need to reshoot at sunset. I like the crop too. Just a few of the those buttresses make a better picture. Thanks a bunch. :)
    OK it was too tempting. What do we think of this version?

6916223-L.jpg

I took the opposite approach from Spockling and hit it hard with shadow/highlight to open up the storefronts under the building and the detail in the trees. Then I took it to LAB and made the curve very steep in the highlights to darken the sky and add detail to the surface of the building. Steepened both A and B curves and pulled them both toward the warm sides to try to get away from the noon light. Lastly used the sharpen tool on the storefronts and a few other places. Could easily get some pink in the sky with RGB curves before LAB. What me to try that?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    Oh, I was so taken with the color theory part that I didn't notice Spockling and Ginette's excellent crops. But you can take something like my color correction and their crops.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    OK it was too tempting. What do we think of this version?

6916223-S.jpg

I took the opposite approach from Spockling and hit it hard with shadow/highlight to open up the storefronts under the building and the detail in the trees. Then I took it to LAB and made the curve very steep in the highlights to darken the sky and add detail to the surface of the building. Steepened both A and B curves and pulled them both toward the warm sides to try to get away from the noon light. Lastly used the sharpen tool on the storefronts and a few other places. Could easily get some pink in the sky with RGB curves before LAB. What me to try that?

Thanks Rutt, nothing like a meaty problem to smoke you out. I'm not sure if I can duplicate what you did. I got Richard Lynch's book, " The Hidden Power of Photosho Elements 2" with it's CD of add-ons. It does have curves and I've played around a little. But, I haven't finished reading the book. I do like your idea. I think pink in the sky is a good thing. Give it a try. Is it allowed for me to submit your picture? :) kidding
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    Just throwing this one out there...

6909416-L.jpg
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Just throwing this one out there...

6909416-S.jpg
    Nice!

Good composition, good color, good exposure. Do you have access to Photoshop or any other photo editing program? If so you might try and see what you can do to make the rainbow jump out a bit more. One technique I might try would be to select the sky (including the rainbow) and play around with some adjustments (curves, levels, etc..) and see what might bring the rainbow out a bit more.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Nice!

Good composition, good color, good exposure. Do you have access to Photoshop or any other photo editing program? If so you might try and see what you can do to make the rainbow jump out a bit more. One technique I might try would be to select the sky (including the rainbow) and play around with some adjustments (curves, levels, etc..) and see what might bring the rainbow out a bit more.
    I agree with Cletus dugmar.. nice shot :D
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    Lines, a curve and a hook
    6931677-L.jpg

Not Me
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    South Carolina (not) 's bum, only ones I, not me, have seen.

6931055-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    Bums about to fall............better move!

6931048-L.jpg

Nobody, any complaints, it nobody did it.

And Who is on first!
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Bums about to fall............better move!

6931048-S.jpg

Nobody, any complaints, it nobody did it.

And Who is on first!

Not fruit!! No comment. Not me. Uh uh no way.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    South Carolina (not) 's bum, only ones I, not me, have seen.

6931055-S.jpg

And a very curvaceous bum it is. Needs a little glamour blur I think. Hehehe