Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Lines and Curbs what think ya?

To simple I dunno I kinda like it . But I have been known to have tastes that are bubble off plumb.rolleyes1.gif
    It is between this one and the one below I have not done a lot of shooting lately.

Tim
    Hi Tim.. for me its the streetcar the streetcar the streetcar..:D
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks for straightening the photo, I was turning them out like an assembly line.

Two simple pictures here, and I might be through for today. Tonight, I mean, have no idea it is 2:30 AM.

I love white on white. Simplicity, I also love the very complicated, busy one might say. Andy, I am afraid to look at the pictures of wide angles, am afraid I would try to copy them.
    Ginger I love your white on white faucet and I also love the fruit. I think the composition is great and the white is dramatic. Nice shots.clap.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    Shakey Tim - Streetcar thumb.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    6940673-S.jpg

Cool shot Sid, I liked how empty it looks, then Cletus planted a (very small) seed of doubt , maybe it needs that second draw that I think you mentioned somewhere?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Sid, this is a beauty. I'm jealous of your night shooting technique. Colors seem very true, which never happens to me at night. How you do that?

Thanks Rutt, no trick on the this one. I just shot in RAW, and in post I exposed the single shot two different ways - once for the signs, once for the rest. I was pleasantly surprised that the camera's auto white balance gave me true colors under the fluorescent lights.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Sid,

I don't know about this one. It's a good shot, the exposure is spot on, but it just doesn't grab me the way that most of your shots do ne_nau.gif

nod.gif Yes, I agree. As Gubbsie mentioned, it's lacking that secondary element. But I wanted to go back and do a better job of composing the scene. Thanks for the feedback, guys, it's nice to have one's instincts confirmed.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Lines and Curbs what think ya?

To simple I dunno I kinda like it . But I have been known to have tastes that are bubble off plumb.rolleyes1.gif
    It is between this one and the one below I have not done a lot of shooting lately.

Tim
    Train...Definately:D
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    Frames
    rutt wrote:
    I have to say, that as frames go, this on is pretty good. It's very simple, almost like HCB's (RIP) black borders with his signature outside. If I bought a print of this, I'd want a real signature, not just digital text. A real framer could work with this, though they really prefer plain white borders with signature pretty close to image, below. Simplify, simplify, simplify, no?
    Rutt, I have not been out in the real world selling prints, but this has been my assumption, and I think I am correct.

This is not the print he would sell, unless he were selling posters or something. This is a presentation for the internet: a whole new world.

I like that frame too, but one) he didn't lose space by using it. and two) his background was black which matched up with the background in the frame. If his background were another color, I am not sure.

I even noted the frame, before you mentioned, it, and thought about copying it, or the style, but I don't know how it would work for me.

I have pulled my entry from the Challenge, don't know what I am going to do anyway.

Oh, on the frame, the reason I think like I do re the real world, vs the internet, is that if I printed, a photograph of mine to have framed (I would have it commercially printed), it would be the size I wanted, the border would make no difference, if it existed, and it probably would as something to hang the mat on. Totally different situation.

I would not take it out of my computer and put it on my wall with a thumbtack, though I have done that. Stuck them in mirrors too.

I think the prints I see for sale around here are matted. Expensive ones are framed.

I am trying to get into that, but I can't afford to mat a print to say the least of framing it, and I don't want to start off cheap. I have a "friend" who knows everyone, Bill took her some of my photos Monday, while I was doing computer maintenance.

To those who want to know I was up after 2 e-mailing my geek son and another person who builds computers. My son said I am going to have to reinstall everything on the computer.

(For those not in the know, on top of all else, my CPU runs at 100%)

But that is the frame situation as I see it.

Nice photo, Rutt. You like daisys, I like mine in a vase in a clean room. And I can dream on, too.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Sid,

I don't know about this one. It's a good shot, the exposure is spot on, but it just doesn't grab me the way that most of your shots do ne_nau.gif
    Sid, it does grab me. and most of your others don't, hehe. Except the last one, and it took awhile.

but with Cletus remark, I thought this shot is sterile, spot on clean, pure design really.

That is not the way you usually shoot.

Just a thought.

ginger
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    Just throwing this out there......
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 5, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Just throwing this out there......
    I like it, but the right side is a little blown out. Can you reshoot and blend a light and dark image together? If not, you could do a duplicate layer on multiply to darken the highlights a bit, then mask it and brush off the multiply layer in the parts that were exposed correctly. I think Andy does a similar tutorial about this somwehre in the hall of wisdom. Pretty easy actually. I like the composition, so work with it a little!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 5, 2004
    Well, I keep coming back to cars. I stumbled on a little meet last night in the center of greenfield, ma. How's this one grab you?

6954269-M.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    Curve, line and hook, no sinker
    I am so tired, I cropped this, but totally forgot to do anything in post. Just forgot, so this is how it came out of the camera, but cropped. To make a point, hysterical laughter here at my own joke. g

6956237-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    Hey, I posted that photo on the Challenge, but that doesn't mean that I can't try other things out here, if I want, does it?

If it does, I will take it back down until Sunday night.

Part of the work on my ideas takes place by using this thread. Maybe that is not the best photo in the world, but if I had not put it on this thread, gotten a comment from Ginette, etc, I would not have gone and found another hook with a shadow that I thought would fit better.

So, if anything I do takes away from my being able to post here, I want to not do it.

ginger

Lynn, I did not work on the faucet, because I think it is a bit tilted and needs to be reshot. Easy to do, but not now. I was so thirsty at the time, and the picture looked fine in the little window. Now I will reshoot it.......next time I am there.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    posting in the main thread and the comments thread
    you can change your entry in the main thread anytime up until the end of the challenge (12noon NYC time Monday). Of course, you can still play in this sand box, for the entire fortnight! Keep doing what you're doing, ginger :D
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hey, I posted that photo on the Challenge, but that doesn't mean that I can't try other things out here, if I want, does it?

If it does, I will take it back down until Sunday night.

Part of the work on my ideas takes place by using this thread. Maybe that is not the best photo in the world, but if I had not put it on this thread, gotten a comment from Ginette, etc, I would not have gone and found another hook with a shadow that I thought would fit better.

So, if anything I do takes away from my being able to post here, I want to not do it.

ginger

Lynn, I did not work on the faucet, because I think it is a bit tilted and needs to be reshot. Easy to do, but not now. I was so thirsty at the time, and the picture looked fine in the little window. Now I will reshoot it.......next time I am there.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    6965570-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Rutt, no trick on the this one. I just shot in RAW, and in post I exposed the single shot two different ways - once for the signs, once for the rest. I was pleasantly surprised that the camera's auto white balance gave me true colors under the fluorescent lights.

I liked this one very much. Pleasing angle, no distraction, just the essentials, and works very well in color.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    Sid, am I confused? In the right place?

Interesting, ginger

I just went to the FM site, where I pay 5.00 a month, that place really confuses me, and just doesn't look friendly.

Now I come here, interesting horse, smile.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    you pay $5 a month at fm for what? i didn't realize they have a pay option.. what do they give your for $5....

thanks
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Sid, am I confused? In the right place?

Interesting, ginger

I just went to the FM site, where I pay 5.00 a month, that place really confuses me, and just doesn't look friendly.

Now I come here, interesting horse, smile.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    andy wrote:
    you pay $5 a month at fm for what? i didn't realize they have a pay option.. what do they give your for $5....

thanks
    You don't have to pay. But you can pay for FM's hosting and upload service. Probably inferior and certainly more expensive than smugmug. Ginger, just put your smugmug URL in your FM post and it will just work. That's what I do.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    andy wrote:

thanks
    Andy, I wish I knew. It is an upload feature. When I joined I thought it was mandatory, but it is not. I printed all the info out tonight.

It is called an Image Upload Subscription. Says that with it, I won't need to have a web page or have to join a photo service to show my images on FM.

The problem is, slow as my mind is going, I haven't really figured out why I would want to upload an image, nor do I want to go around resizing everything. I was told that I didn't have to except for the contests, but it sure looks like I do from what I have printed out.

I don't like that place, but then again I am tired. I think this is much easier to understand, or maybe it was the time I joined. I didn't know how to use the link to smugmug, here, for awhile.

Right now I can't figure out anything about FM, except that everything is a different size. It is $4.90 a month. Or $45 a year.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    You don't have to pay. But you can pay for FM's hosting and upload service. Probably inferior and certainly more expensive than smugmug. Ginger, just put your smugmug URL in your FM post and it will just work. That's what I do.
    I hate to sound slower than I usually am, but what url, the same as I do here, for each photo. Then what size do I use? It is quite explicit about 640 pixels.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    ginge

sounds like you should be cancelling, since you have all the image hosting you need at smugmug.

if you want to post at fm, even for the contests, you can link from smugmug.

cheers,

andy
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Andy, I wish I knew. It is an upload feature. When I joined I thought it was mandatory, but it is not. I printed all the info out tonight.

It is called an Image Upload Subscription. Says that with it, I won't need to have a web page or have to join a photo service to show my images on FM.

The problem is, slow as my mind is going, I haven't really figured out why I would want to upload an image, nor do I want to go around resizing everything. I was told that I didn't have to except for the contests, but it sure looks like I do from what I have printed out.

I don't like that place, but then again I am tired. I think this is much easier to understand, or maybe it was the time I joined. I didn't know how to use the link to smugmug, here, for awhile.

Right now I can't figure out anything about FM, except that everything is a different size. It is $4.90 a month. Or $45 a year.

ginger
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 5, 2004
    Sid - I think this is a great shot and is nicely surrounded by darkness...
    6940673-S.jpg

I have been shooting in the garden looking for lines... Here are a couple for comments ....

6969519-M.jpg

6969517-L.jpg

And here is one with a hookthumb.gif

6969514-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sid - I think this is a great shot and is nicely surrounded by darkness...

I have been shooting in the garden looking for lines... Here are a couple for comments ....

6969519-M.jpg

6969517-L.jpg

And here is one with a hookthumb.gif

6969514-M.jpg
    Pathfinder, you got yourself a hook and lines. Great. I am not eventually entering my hook, so don't let that be an influence.

I do like the photo above it. I wonder about the crop? I like the prcikly lines.

Nice photos, ginger
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    6969517-M.jpg
    Wow, I love this one. Simple and clean, the graceful arc next to the spikes really makes it for me. thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    6965570-M.jpg

Well, I like the curves, the lines behind, and even the tight crop. And yeah, the subject matter. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Wow, I love this one. Simple and clean, the graceful arc next to the spikes really makes it for me. thumb.gif
    Thanks for the kind words - I finally got out and found some nice light for a change - finding the sweet light sure makes a difference at the end of the day.

And I know that Rutt always wants to see the color rather than the B&W, here is one in color

6971248-L.jpg

• Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    6965570-M.jpg
    lynnesite wrote:
    Well, I like the curves, the lines behind, and even the tight crop. And yeah, the subject matter. mwink.gif
    I like this graphical image as well - I wonder if he has tried it in a sepia tone or a duotone?

• Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    And yeah, the subject matter. mwink.gif
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.