Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    6965570-S.jpg

I like this graphical image as well - I wonder if he has tried it in a sepia tone or a duotone?

It's actually a photograph, a silhouette. I shot this while I was messing around waiting for the sun. But I kinda like it. I haven't messed around with sepia, but I did try lots of things with the background.

I also tried this, just for fun.

6973166-M.jpg

And then this.

6973223-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    6971248-S.jpg

That's a beautiful shot. Terrific lighting, really nice colors, graceful composition, the bristles look great and so does the background blur. I really like the color version.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    And here is one with a hookthumb.gif

6969514-S.jpg
    For my money this is an excellent B&W exposure. Great tonal range and texture.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    6971248-S.jpg

Sid and I totally agree. This is beautiful and better in color. Normally I'd LAB steepen anything like this, but either you already did, or it doesn't need it. Great technique.

6969514-S.jpg

I'd enter this one. It's you, Jim. It shows the respect and love you have for objects of a certain age, even if they are humble. You've captured the texture of the wood and metal in a exqusite way. It nails the theme on more than one level. It's a step on the road to that most valuable of photographic assets, a recognizable personal sensibility.

Even though I haven't seen the original (I'd like to), it's pretty clear that the B&W conversion has enhanced this particular image.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I like this a lot, but agree with Eric that we can make it jump with a little post work.

How about this version:

1. Adujstments->Shadow/Highlight. 19/31/85/0... Color correction +20, clipping both .01 This brings up the details in the water and person.
    2. Mode->LAB
    3. Adjustments->Curves
    Here are the curves I used:

What's going on here? The L curve is doing almost exactly the same job it did for Ginger in the Turner Sky picture. I have made it very steep in the highlights in order to bring out the sky details (the rainbow in this case.) Then my problem was to bring it in for a soft landing, flatten it so the whole image didn't end up being too dark. I sacrificed some shadow detail in order to keep the curve fairly steep on the water surface. The detail in the trees is distracting anyway, IMHO.

I started off by just steepening the A curve by 12 in each direction as well. But the boat is some hi-vis color that is already very magenta. Steepening the magenta side of the A curve where the boat lives, just put it over the top, out of gamut, almost an impossible color. So I had to treat the two sides of this curve differently. I definitly wanted the green side steep to make the forest look alive and make the lilly pads jump. But I had to bring the magenta side in for a soft landing. The middle of the magenta side needed to be steepend to make the rainbow colors more vibrant. But we had to put things back on track before the boat colors in the deep magenta.

The B curve is simpler. I just steepened it by 12 on the left (yellow) side and 15 on the right (blue) side. I used this asymetric steepening in order to move the sky and water a bit toward the blue side. They were pretty neutral before. This curve has made the forest a bit yellow for my taste. Perhaps the yellow side of the curve should be softened a bit (as I did with the magenta side of the A curve.)

Is this working for this image?

The B curve was just steepened, but a little asymetrically. The left end (yellow) came in by 12, but I brough
    Wow! Thanks, I will mess around. I've been away for a couple of days, I really appreciate this.

Doug
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    WoW!!!!
    6969517-L.jpg

6969514-M.jpg

WoWbowdown.gif... I really LOVE these. B&W works beautifully!!!!
    I think the grass is my favorite!
    clap.gif

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 6, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    6971248-S.jpg

Sid and I totally agree. This is beautiful and better in color. Normally I'd LAB steepen anything like this, but either you already did, or it doesn't need it. Great technique.

6969514-S.jpg

I'd enter this one. It's you, Jim. It shows the respect and love you have for objects of a certain age, even if they are humble. You've captured the texture of the wood and metal in a exqusite way. It nails the theme on more than one level. It's a step on the road to that most valuable of photographic assets, a recognizable personal sensibility.

Even though I haven't seen the original (I'd like to), it's pretty clear that the B&W conversion has enhanced this particular image.
    Rutt - I said last night that I finally found the sweet light last evening. Grabbing the images was relatively easy, once the light was right. Both subjects just were glowing. Side lighting was the ticket for both of these, with on camera fill flash dialed back about 1 1/3 stop. I have said previously that the light is frequently much more important than the subject, but I have to continue to learn this lesson over and overand over. (I sometimes think I am a slow learner when it comes to seeing images!)

These were shot with a nice camera, but could have been captured by almost any digicam with a good macro function, as I was using a macro lens for both of them. The lighting, not the camera was the ticket. Maybe I can capture one of these with the G5.

I prefer the image of the grass and I prefer it in the quasi-sepia, but it may not be best represented with just 800 pixels and it may suffer on a monitor unless they are fairly bright. The full size image has very nice detail and I think may be better than the color. I didn't even hear you holler about the white border eitherrolleyes1.gif .
    I shot the hook mostly as a gag for Ginger.Laughing.gif But it is a nice study in surface texture, perhaps should be decentered more? laugh for Ginger..
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    think may be better than the color. I didn't even hear you holler about the white border eitherrolleyes1.gif .
    I shot the hook mostly as a gag for Ginger.Laughing.gif But it is a nice study in surface texture, perhaps should be decentered more? laugh for Ginger..
    Thanks for thinking of me, Pathfinder.

Maybe we should have a challenge called "the hook", rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I like the grass, also.thumb.gif

ginger, smile, and good morning
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    It's been a hectic week, but things are getting back on track. I am throwing this out there for comment.

6984418-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    Looking for "How To" on Andy's framing, and response to Sandy
    Sandy, is there any way you could separate out different elements of your rollercoaster shot. Right now, it is kind of busy, just in my opinion.

I am frantically looking for Andy's info on how he makes his frame. I know it is in here, or there, somewhere. I have done searches........... does anyone know where it is, so I could just go to "here".

I want to try making a frame like Andy's. I now realize it is slightly less intrusive than the ones I have been making.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    It's been a hectic week, but things are getting back on track. I am throwing this out there for comment.

6984418-S.jpg

Cool shot Sandy. IMHO the composition and the subject matter are very good. It suffers from the midday sun syndrome: everything's lit equally and directly, no shading, shadows or soft light to give it depth and relief. I think Ginger's comment is essentially saying the same thing. Time to pull out your image software bag of tricks!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Cool shot Sandy. IMHO the composition and the subject matter are very good. It suffers from the midday sun syndrome: everything's lit equally and directly, no shading, shadows or soft light to give it depth and relief. I think Ginger's comment is essentially saying the same thing. Time to pull out your image software bag of tricks!
    I think this is a subject with limitless possibilities if the lighting is cooperative. Try late afternoon/early evening with some aggressive cropping to clarify what you want your viewer to perceive, and you can capture a dynamite picture. This image is a just little busy and I don't easily grasp the visual center. What waxy saidthumb.gif

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    frames / brush / copyright
    right here baby. mwink.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    Pews
    Anything?

6988869-M.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Anything?

6988869-M.jpg
    On camera electronic flash? Lighting, lighting, lighting is everything. Try sidelighting or backlighting as an alternative I think.

• Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    Thank you I can appreciate the comments. I was in San Diego with relatives and had no time to actually get the best angle for the shot. Since it's 3 hours from here, I can't go back, but will try to do some mastery as suggested.
    wxwax wrote:
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

And I can even tell you that it's in the Etruscan style of horse art, have a little casting of one around here somewhere. eek7.gif
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    Tramlines
    Something else to offer, this has been a tough assignment, and they aren'tgetting any easier :cry

6992522-L.jpg
    1/100 sec F8 34mm DOF
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    Something else to offer, this has been a tough assignment, and they aren'tgetting any easier :cry

6992522-S.jpg
    1/100 sec F8 34mm

Let me know
    Stan, good shots, I think you need to apply the rule of 1/3's with the horizon, i love the golden fields!! graet shot thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Stan, good shots, I think you need to apply the rule of 1/3's with the horizon, i love the golden fields!! graet shot thumb.gif

I saw your entry in the challenge after i posted my landscape. A beautiful shot and not easy to get when the wind blows the trash the wrong way for the light 9 time out of 10 thumb.gif

So I chopped off the sky. Does the rest have to remain in a standard format as 8 by 10 or 800 600 pix?
    6995494-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    You mean, Gubbs, to take some off of Stan's sky that I am seeing?

You go right ahead, Stan. That is a darn gorgeous shot as it is IMO.

Tough competition.

I would not touch a hair of that sky, if it were mine.

To answer your question. The shape of the entry does not matter, it can be a square, or a line, I guess, as long as the "longest" side does not exceed 800 whatevers. There can be 4 long sides, or it can be flat on the ground, so to speak.

ginger
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    I saw your entry in the challenge after i posted my landscape. A beautiful shot and not easy to get when the wind blows the trash the wrong way for the light 9 time out of 10 thumb.gif

So I chopped off the sky. Does the rest have to remain in a standard format as 8 by 10 or 800 600 pix?
    6995494-M.jpg
    different opinions :D but I think that's an improvement, lovely lines, shadows & colours either way.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    Thanks Pathfinder, you nailed it...
    pathfinder wrote:
    On camera electronic flash? Lighting, lighting, lighting is everything. Try sidelighting or backlighting as an alternative I think.

The lighting was terrible, my flash was on auto and I didn't have time to do it over with no flash. There was a ton of people coming in. I won't have time to go back this week, so there's no chance for this one. Maybe another time.

Here's another try at salvaging it.

6998256-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    I like the panorama effect...
    gubbs wrote:
    different opinions :D but I think that's an improvement, lovely lines, shadows & colours either way.

Stan,
    Raising the horizon does help the composition, but there is too much smog in that sky after you chop off the good part. How about a new sky and a slight tilt to straighten the horizon. Just an idea.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    The lighting was terrible, my flash was on auto and I didn't have time to do it over with no flash. There was a ton of people coming in. I won't have time to go back this week, so there's no chance for this one. Maybe another time.

Here's another try at salvaging it.

6998256-S.jpg
    Snappy, you already have two to choose from this time. Maybe you could come back and do this for wide, I have no idea how. Just get your flash turned off, tripod, or not, put on your wide lens and walk around, maybe you will get something, or several things.

Wish we could start this tomorrow.

Oh, Snappy, I put my shifting sands back up. I couldn't follow Andy's directions for the frame thing he uses. Lots of layers, missing words, words I don't know, and none of my books were helping me. Cletus, you hear, would you please have a thing on doing frames like Andy's. You know so we can ask dumb questions til we get it.

Anyway, I finally just went to my Elements program and put on a small, very small, but definite, shadow box frame from their program. Then I posted it in the Challenge, below yours, where my other one with the hook had been.

Snappy, it is great. Not only does yours look good, but mine is no longer dwarfed by those giants on the first page. And I had gotten the wrong one, one without any frame. But it looks so good, I just left it.

I had written a tiny poem, kind of, at the bottom, since the darn site makes you write something. I thought that was why it looked better, more balanced. Then I realized that, too, it was in a much better place now. Thanks. And yours looks great, too.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Stan,
    Raising the horizon does help the composition, but there is too much smog in that sky after you chop off the good part. How about a new sky and a slight tilt to straighten the horizon. Just an idea.

Wow I Like that. The view looks towards Cambridge hence smog. The shaddow is cast by the setting sun so the sky is a little bright but an American Sky on an Engligh landscape... have you seen Door 110's thread rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2004
    [PHP]I would not touch a hair of that sky, if it were mine.[/PHP]
    Thanks Ginger
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks Gubbs

Snapple, I will try to improve the sky a little, your sky is beautiful. thank you for giving me a vision
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2004
    Snappy, nice job on the PS.

Stan, I can't believe that Cambridge produces that much smog. It's a beautiful shot.
    Sid.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    I was up early this morning... My images are boring me lately. Kind of in a slump of sorts. Just not seeing whats around me.

Doug

7016110-L.jpg

7016111-L.jpg

7016112-L.jpg

7016113-L.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    I was up early this morning... My images are boring me lately. Kind of in a slump of sorts. Just not seeing whats around me.

Doug

Me too dug... I'm in a slump too..umph.gif we'll slump together..rolleyes1.gif