Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Boy, is that ever nice! I see the lines and curves. I love the composition. This is one of the best flowers that's ever been posted in dgrin, IMHO.
    In spite of how nice it is, it does have a little blown out spot on the top right of the bud. Is there anyway to recover some detail there? Did you shoot raw? Maybe shadow/highlight? Maybe the L curve in LAB? It's worth doing a lot of work to fix.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Boy, is that ever nice! I see the lines and curves. I love the composition. This is one of the best flowers that's ever been posted in dgrin, IMHO.

WHY?

I don't get it. I mean I see the lines and curves, particularly the curves, and I have not followed the posting of flowers on dGrin, or most anywhere.

But why are you so excited about this one, Rutt?

ginger

Good idea to get close in Gubbs, that part excites me, I would get closer, but then I seem a bit ignorant on this flower thing. I don't even know how to spell ignorent/ignorant, I think you all ought to add a dictionary, at the least, in the choices up there.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    Went to the ballpark last night, took the small camera for some fun. Some heavy handed Photchopping, prolly too heavy handed. Just for fun and effect.

6744500-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    ginger, re: resizing shots
    ginger_55 wrote:

But I do have this concern re my photo, I am beginning to think of it as my orphan child. I notice that it is not as "tall" as the others, mine are not, mine are about 500 pixels, others run about 600, I think. And it is not framed, so I feel kind of like the poor picture needs something..... It is the whole shot, I mean it is not a cropped photo, so I can't add more to the top that way. (It fits all the criteria for last weeks assignment, except a small bit of clean up work with the clone tool, not much done at all. Composed in the camera)

when you resize a canon rebel image to 800px on the long side, the short side will be 533 px. that's why...

and i thought all the girls say: "size doesn't matter!"
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    andy wrote:
    when you resize a canon rebel image to 800px on the long side, the short side will be 533 px. that's why...

and i thought all the girls say: "size doesn't matter!"
    Thanks Andy, I have been trying to solve this mystery by talking to Snappy. And I have discovered that all digital is not created alike, or something. She talks resolution 72 with big size numbers, I talk resolution 180 or 300 with big or large numbers, equaling big enough prints. 72 is e-mail for me. She also has some setting called HQ or SHQ, I think I can decipher that. I just put it on the one where I get the fewest pictures per memory card. I think it is the one clear to the left, it is definitely an end setting. (See that is how my mind works)

But I have decided that this is a growing field, and until it is internationalized into one language, I will just go along...........talking only to those who own dRebels, and only those who will speak very slowly for me to try to understand the technology.

Oh, please, never tell me why, just how is fine. Once I know how, I can go back to "why" with some comprehension and much less stress. I operate kind of on a need to know basis.

I have decided that if I want taller horizontals, I am going to have to crop them to like a 4 X 5, then make the long side 800 and the other side will come along with me. I will wait to see if I find a photograph I want to do that to.

I might experiment on Rutt's daisy, it is a subject with limitless possibilities, IMO.

ginger

And why is that other flower, stick, better? Is it depth of field, species?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Went to the ballpark last night, took the small camera for some fun. Some heavy handed Photchopping, prolly too heavy handed. Just for fun and effect.

6744500-S.jpg
    Sid, I love it! You found Fog Man clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

It is nice.

ginger

(And Rutt will never know as I put all those annoying clapping people here)
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

6744500-S.jpg
    This is a wow, Sid. I get the heat. I get the game in the distance. The figure is very ambigious.

OK, since this is just for fun, B&W is very dramatic here. But what about the color? Show us. Perhaps that can be even more dramatic. Give me a chance to make the point.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    sid's stadium shot
    reminds me of the "mean joe green" coke commercial. eh?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    WHY?

I don't get it. I mean I see the lines and curves, particularly the curves, and I have not followed the posting of flowers on dGrin, or most anywhere.

But why are you so excited about this one, Rutt?

ginger

Good idea to get close in Gubbs, that part excites me, I would get closer, but then I seem a bit ignorant on this flower thing. I don't even know how to spell ignorent/ignorant, I think you all ought to add a dictionary, at the least, in the choices up there.
    What don't you get, Ginger. Did you like my daisy better? I want to go out and shoot some ore of them now.

Actually the flower thing is deceptively deep. Here is a homework assignment. See if you can get this book:
    b_ip01-02.jpg

Amazon has some used ones for as little as $50. I've been meaning to write an appreciation of Penn. He is probably my second favorite photographer after Cartier-Bresson. My books are all on the mainland, though, so I won't get to it until fall.

Anyway, just when you think something is simple, a genius like Penn can come along and open your eyes to the possibilities. This is a book that will change the way you see flowers. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Back to Gubbs flower. I think it was technically spot on. Composition perfect. Colors perfect. Well, there whas the blownout spot, but I think that could be fixed. The bud itself was perfect. I loved the selective focus. I like the way it fits in with the subject. I asked myself, could this be a Penn? Well, no. But closer than we usually get on dgrin.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    House Of The Rising Sun
    Fog Man does need a kid and a Coke, I loved that commercial, the best of all time.

And on a different subject, to see about size, you know proportions. And I tried to make this into a blk and white, too, but my PC quit.

6746645-S.jpg

Maybe I should blur the petals, just pretend I wanted them soft, but I want to see the proportions here, worked it up as a 4 X 5.

g

Heck, it looks like some kind of strange bird. I have to get dressed to leave home for awhile..............can play more later.

Mean Joe Green, were those the good old days?

I don't like the picture, but I do like the name and the concept, so I made it into a small size so that when I come back, I can work on these curves some more.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    6746645-S.jpg

Ginger, you take up a lot of air time, but you do have a great eye. Get the Penn book. You'll be in hog's heaven (not exactly the great sensation I wanted to say that you would have, but I was trying to stay on the right side of the PG thing.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    Flowers can be very sexy in composition.

Anonymous, and out the door, commonly called,
    Cuttin and Runnin', hehe

later

lots of curves there, can't afford a used copy. no way, will check at the library, but not right now.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    6740897-S.jpg

I really like the bud's light and texture but the picture does not reach out and grab me. Wish I could figure out why and offer something more constructive.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I really like the bud's light and texture but the picture does not reach out and grab me. Wish I could figure out why and offer something more constructive.
    And I don't know why I like it so much. It looks like one of God's best works.

Gubbs, perhaps you need to give this the LAB curve treatment and then steepen the black curve in CMYK? That would give it more pop. You can still sharpen in LAB afterward; no info is lost in the LAB->RGB conversion (unlike converting to CMYK from anything.) After that, perhaps others would see what I see in it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    And I don't know why I like it so much. It looks like one of God's best works.

Gubbs, perhaps you need to give this the LAB curve treatment and then steepen the black curve in CMYK? That would give it more pop. You can still sharpen in LAB afterward; no info is lost in the LAB->RGB conversion (unlike converting to CMYK from anything.) After that, perhaps others would see what I see in it.
    Thanks for the comments, I'll give that a try Rutt, but It'll probably be in the morning now,

Here's another couple I took this morning...

weeping cherry leaves
    6748019-L.jpg

and some water droplets on my fennel plant

6748018-L.jpg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    Another clematis bud
    6748943-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    Lines Reflected
    So I actually put this one as a submission... but I really would like some comments. I know this combines the last theme with the new one, hopefully that is ok.

2476_govpuddle_sf_S.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    OK, since this is just for fun, B&W is very dramatic here. But what about the color? Show us. Perhaps that can be even more dramatic. Give me a chance to make the point.

OK. naughty.gif Here's the color, as it came out of the camera, no RAW adjustments made. The pic is a link to the Original, if you wanna play. As you can see, it's off kilter, blown highlights... not a shot I'm happy about displaying! If you can make a better color version than B&W, I'll be very impressed indeed. rolleyes1.gif

6750232-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, I'll give that a try Rutt, but It'll probably be in the morning now,

weeping cherry leaves

Hi Gubbs.. I like you weeping cherry leaves.. the fennel drop did'nt really move me as much as most of your shots. The color coming through the leaves is lovely.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    gubbs wrote:

weeping cherry leaves

6748018-S.jpg
    I don't really like the one droplet that has a white blurry component so I played with the cropping. I think there must be 1/2 dozen good shots there, just waiting to be cropped.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    Nobody liked my lines- so...
    I was having a hard time chosing between the Trolley station, Horton Plaza, and the roofline of the convention center. I didn't get any input on my last post, so I guess you guys didn't like any of them. I worked hard on them too. Couldn't make anything good out of the black and white. Oh well, so much for the lines. How about some curves?

I noticed you guys were shooting flowers, so I went outside. Not many flowers since we've had a long stretch of 100 degree heat. But the fruit is starting to ripen.

Fig and Leaf:
    6753135-M.jpg

Persimmons:
    6751310-M.jpg

Lime:
    6751311-M.jpg

Are any of these worth anything? Better or worse than the buildings?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    OK. naughty.gif Here's the color, as it came out of the camera, no RAW adjustments made. The pic is a link to the Original, if you wanna play. As you can see, it's off kilter, blown highlights... not a shot I'm happy about displaying! If you can make a better color version than B&W, I'll be very impressed indeed. rolleyes1.gif
    I forgot it's supposed to be color.. messed up again but might as well post it now I've been working on it instead of working on my own rolleyes1.gif

p.s. whats all that stuff going on in the right hand corner rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    I was having a hard time chosing between the Trolley station, Horton Plaza, and the roofline of the convention center. I didn't get any input on my last post, so I guess you guys didn't like any of them. I worked hard on them too. Couldn't make anything good out of the black and white. Oh well, so much for the lines. How about some curves?

I noticed you guys were shooting flowers, so I went outside. Not many flowers since we've had a long stretch of 100 degree heat. But the fruit is starting to ripen.

Fig and Leaf:

Persimmons:

Lime:

Snappy! I think your buildings are wonderful!! I've been away in and out so I must have mised commenting but I think they are wonderfu. These shots however move me. The first two... and the persimmons I think are beautiful. Color texture, beautiful.. I'll have to look at them a few more times to process (brain is slow) and look back at your buildings.. but these are just gorgeous. I'd like to hear what some of the others have to say about these.
    clap.gif
    Snap.. I just went back and looked at your buttresses (that does'nt sound very nice does it) and the shot it a great shot.. it fits the challenge perfectly.. I don't want to steer you wrong though cos it may be a winner.. it does not move me though. The persimmons do.. and it looks to me like it fits the criteria. Whats your gut feeling snap. (one more edit, #3) When I scrolled over the persimmons I said "Oh" out loud.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    OK, Andy's begging for more people to submit stuff for the challenges. (It's kind of embarassing actually... geez Andy, where's your dignity?) So here's a beginner's effort for you, inspired by Ginger I might add.

Don't spare the criticism please, I'm a big boy and I have no illusions about my skilllllz! :D I lurk here to learn.

6753246-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    Lynn, thanks for the kind words...
    lynnma wrote:
    Snappy! I think your buildings are wonderful!! I've been away in and out so I must have mised commenting but I think they are wonderfu. These shots however move me. The first two... and the persimmons I think are beautiful. Color texture, beautiful.. I'll have to look at them a few more times to process (brain is slow) and look back at your buildings.. but these are just gorgeous. I'd like to hear what some of the others have to say about these.
    clap.gif
    Snap.. I just went back and looked at your buttresses (that does'nt sound very nice does it) and the shot it a great shot.. it fits the challenge perfectly.. I don't want to steer you wrong though cos it may be a winner.. it does not move me though. The persimmons do.. and it looks to me like it fits the criteria. Whats your gut feeling snap. (one more edit, #3) When I scrolled over the persimmons I said "Oh" out loud.

I like the persimmons too. When I opened the file, I said "Oh" too. It was still kind of dull, the way they come out of the camera. But, I liked the soft colors. I used a little levels and curves to brighten and bring out the touch of orange. I like the composition too.

I do like the fig and leaf. Strong lines and unusual composition. But, good enough for the challenge? Can't compare to yours and Gingers.

I felt good about the buttress too. The bright colors and strong line got my attention. That's why I put that one on the challenge. I didn't need to do a lot of fixing. Just a little boost to the color and brightness. It was composed in the camera. No cropping. Then someone said I should turn it 90 degrees. That does help the composition, but then there's the dark line at the bottom. I hate trying to chose between pictures that each have a flaw.

I feel like fruit and flowers are so common. But I did shoot them in new ways. For me anyway. Especially the fig and leaf. It's good to get out and shoot lots of pictures. I shot 60 pictures this morning. Got about 5 keepers.

So hard to decide.
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    Great, I love it...
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    OK, Andy's begging for more people to submit stuff for the challenges. (It's kind of embarassing actually... geez Andy, where's your dignity?) So here's a beginner's effort for you, inspired by Ginger I might add.

Don't spare the criticism please, I'm a big boy and I have no illusions about my skilllllz! :D I lurk here to learn.

6753246-S.jpg

This one fits in a category called, "Things that make us Smile". But it certainly fits the "Lines and Curves" challenge. Great lines in the deck and texture. The composition is right on. The tennis ball is right in the sweet spot, and has great curves. Plus it shows outstanding *creativity* and *imagination*. clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    re Tennis Ball and Deck
    snapapple wrote:
    This one fits in a category called, "Things that make us Smile". But it certainly fits the "Lines and Curves" challenge. Great lines in the deck and texture. The composition is right on. The tennis ball is right in the sweet spot, and has great curves. Plus it shows outstanding *creativity* and *imagination*. clap.gifclap.gif
    Most important, the ball is almost yellow, as close as one can get it IMO.clap.gif

Has anyone done a comparison between brands of tennis balls, hehe, Rutt?
    Yes they used to be white, it is funny as I am sure that is what I learned with, I am sure the change over was traumatic, but I have no memory of that. I have spent more years of my life not playing tennis, than I have playing.

To the point of this thread, the deck and the ball certainly do meet lines and curves, with a smile.

gingerthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    gubbs wrote:

weeping cherry leaves

6748018-S.jpg

Gubbs, I like your other one, above this, but this is my favorite of all time here, hehe, Rutt, I guess to each his own vegetation, smile.

But I love color that isn't, really I do. Fog, love it. I did not like this in the big size, maybe those otherw were different crops, don't know. Just know that for light, color and water, I like this a lot.

Can you keep working on it, along with everything everyone else has told you to do, lol

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    Home Again
    Snappy, you came home and found yourself. I love those pictures. My favorite is the first one, the fig and something.

WOW! Succulent, so nice to live where you do.

ginger

I am not going to mention the city pictures, but I love these! So I must be half nice. You are all nice, clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    i'm impressed with the leaves/fruit. nice work. exposure, focus, water interest, all spot-on. but - they don't scream "curves" to me. i like them, though, as photos that stand on their own :D

snapapple wrote:

Fig and Leaf:
    6753135-S.jpg

Persimmons:
    6751310-S.jpg

Lime:
    6751311-S.jpg