>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    Lynn's waterfall
    lynnma wrote:
    another version.. I'm not sure...

I like both your new water falls better than the first version. You might try a polarizer to aid with the appearance of the water on the right hand side. It can help wipe out any hot spots, and can adjust the amount of reflection on the surface.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I ripped off the ankle brace and drove myself back to this waterfall and there were men fishing!!! so I pushed them in.. no just kidding.. I went back AGAIN and retook the shot. I'm not sure whether to crop the top out more.. is it any better?? and is it any good? don't worry bout my feelings.. it's all a learning curve for me..:D

Lynn, I like the first new shot of the falls. The detail in the still water is beautiful. The colors are beautiful. I don't care for the misty blur in the second shot. I think that may just be personal preference, but that's mine. You did a great job on that shot. Was it a different time of day? That's my problem, getting there when the light is best.

Nice work!!
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    Hey, it's a cool daisey...
    rutt wrote:
    Hey, I've gotten no feedback on this one. Does it really just not work? I thought it was a pretty cool take on the theme. My skin is thick, negative critiques are just as welcome as positive ones.

I like your flower Rutt, but I didn't comment because I didn't think you were serious. I don't think it's up to your usual quality for an entry. I would like to see the flower more perfect, unblemished. But, that's not the point. I just think you can be more creative. It's not a bad picture at all. Well done and all. Just give us more imagination. :):D
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    Flower
    rutt wrote:
    Hey, I've gotten no feedback on this one. Does it really just not work? I thought it was a pretty cool take on the theme. My skin is thick, negative critiques are just as welcome as positive ones.

Its ok, nobody commented on my kart tire picture either. :) I like your flower. I think it works very well. Flowers with a bit of water drops look cool to me. I also like the shallow DOF. The entire flower is in focus, but the background is completely void.

This is one rose I did about two months ago:
    5438787-M-2.jpg
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    The concept is good but the subject is too imperfect. (JMHO)
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    I like your flower Rutt, but I didn't comment because I didn't think you were serious. I don't think it's up to your usual quality for an entry. I would like to see the flower more perfect, unblemished. But, that's not the point. I just think you can be more creative. It's not a bad picture at all. Well done and all. Just give us more imagination. :):D
    A perfect reply. People weren't taking it seriously because I usually do better. Wow. Thanks! Flower shots used to be my big thing, but I guess you can't go home again. At least not quite. (Look at Irving Penn's flower shots sometime.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    6698407-S.jpg

OK, I'll bite......To me the dark yellow ring closest to the white petals is blurry/fuzzy and is distracting from the complete image. The water droplets work well as does the center of the flower. Also, the yellow is a bit muted. Any way of brightening/toning it up?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    Its ok, nobody commented on my kart tire picture either. :) I like your flower. I think it works very well. Flowers with a bit of water drops look cool to me. I also like the shallow DOF. The entire flower is in focus, but the background is completely void.

This is one rose I did about two months ago:
    5438787-M-2.jpg
    Beautiful rose.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    More backyard Nantucket lines and curves
    Perhaps the path with the trees and fence is still my best shot so far. I like the idea of trying to get the dog in it. Still, I though this was appealling, too.

6724498-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Hey darling... did'nt get to see your daisy.. I"m missing a lot these days.. including my brain.I love the daisy but I don't like the flaw on the right.. I love the ides tho.. can you reshoot???
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I like both your new water falls better than the first version. You might try a polarizer to aid with the appearance of the water on the right hand side. It can help wipe out any hot spots, and can adjust the amount of reflection on the surface.
    Brillient!!!! ask me where my polarizer was when I took this....

in the drawer.. at home..DRAT! rolleyes1.gif thanks for the input
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Perhaps the path with the trees and fence is still my best shot so far. I like the idea of trying to get the dog in it. Still, I though this was appealling, too.

Rutty dear.. I'm not keen on this tatty flower thing you have going..it's not you. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    Two new ones.. Thanks for the great critiques so far. This is the color version and I think I like this one.. I may use it for the challenge.. even if everyone hates itrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    and black and white conversion...
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    Thanks Merc and Snappy. you are right about the blur thing.. I'm addicted but in treatment for the cure. Yes it was a different time. The light was better. Should have seen me with my walking cast on trying to get the shot, staggering about in the bushes...rolleyes1.gif I'ts sooo great to be out ALONE in the woods. Driving was a breeze, bare foot. he he he
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Beautiful rose.
    Rutt, have you read Le Petit Prince? Well, I didn't comment, because I liked my beach flowers better, they were a grab, early morning last weekend, and they were wet with dew, I will try to find one or two for you. (I don't think a centered daisy would work in this assignment).

Mine is not perfect, but I loved all that natural dew, I even loved the imperfection, no I don't think it would work either, I think the only way the flower would work would be to not show it as a flower, but somehow make the emphasis on the design of curves.

6533720-S.jpg

This next one is probably better, but I am not an expert on flower photography. Just grab some to and fro, on the way to here and there.

6533704-S.jpg

I do like that composition better, but I saw some really cool photography of flowers last night in a book. I do like the dew here, almost feel I should show it to you large enough to see the dew.

6533704-L.jpg

Multiple comments on my flower shots? They are still, no matter how one cuts it, shots of flowers, and the curves are not good enough, IMO.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Rutty dear.. I'm not keen on this tatty flower thing you have going..it's not you. rolleyes1.gif
    It used to be, he said so!

HAHAHAHHAAAHAHAHA, rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I entered the fray, too.

Lynn, you are on a roll.

On the original idea, the colored shot, I agree with whoever said it, I like the first of the second try the best. The less cropped one.

gingerclap.gif

Rutt won't even read this with all the moving/jumping people.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Two new ones.. Thanks for the great critiques so far. This is the color version and I think I like this one.. I may use it for the challenge.. even if everyone hates itrolleyes1.gif
    Lynn, I would never hate any art you choose to give us. I think I like the other one, the water going over the thing, better.

But who knows.

(I am tempted to say I hate it,rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif )

One thing, I don't notice a lot of color, is there any way you could play around with bringing out the color a bit more. There is so little color in the rocks and water, I think that might be neat: more viewable color in the green and things. Maybe more saturated, just brought out more.

g
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    So, you all can kill me, it was something fun to do. I had problems with PS, so I didn't play too long. This was kind of what I was thinking when I mentioned macros earlier. I would be playing with them, if I were looking for something to do.

Rutt, sorry, I had to borrow your flower, I like it better like this, as a shape, not a flower. g

6728371-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    6728371-S.jpg

Thsi is a good idea, Ginger. Why didn't I think of it? Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    Lines making curves
    Differing shutter speeds convert the motion in different ways.

2342_spin_s.jpg

2344_spin_s.jpg

2338_spin_s.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    I missed this one...
    mercphoto wrote:
    My first submission to a contest. :) The circles are obvious (tires, brake, gears), the line is the axle, frame. I used to race these. A friend is keeping his kart in my garage for a month. Bad mistake... Working on some other interesting shots that one might not normally take of a car/kart.

Also first use of my new 50/1.4 lens. :) This was at f/4.

Bill, you said you got no comments on this, so I went back to look for it. I must have missed it earlier. I don't know about this one. It didn't grab me. I think the large Bridgstone label on the tire detracts from the curve line. The background is all blurred out so there is no context. But, that may be OK. It could be considered abstract art. But then, if it was to be an abstract, I would want to see the tire all alone and real sharp. I guess that's it. It needs to be sharp and bright to get my attention. I may not be the one to critique this, being a woman. Maybe men are more drawn to tires. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    Spockling, you wanted this turned 90 degress...
    I like it! It's a better composition. I was just hung up on keeping that dark line absolutely horizontal because it's a building. However, since it has become an abstract, it may not matter. Opinions anyone?

And one more thing, that dark line. The beam or whatever. I lightened it enough to make the detail visible, but I don't know. As an abstract, it could go all the way black. Or maybe lighten it as much as possible so it blends more with the rest. Comments anyone?

6725577-M.jpg

Or the original one...

6692422-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    I'm still playing with the trolley station...
    This makes a pretty good abstract too. It is simpler this way. That's the sun up in the left corner. I could clone it out. Used curves for the color and it brought out the sun, which was not visible before. Strange.

6726529-M.jpg

Or the original one...

6690946-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    Horton Plaza...
    Gubbs asked if it's a market. It's a shopping center with one whole level as a food court. Behind those windows are eating areas and bridges across to the other side of the shopping center. The place is huge. Seven levels, I think. There were plenty of people that day. I would have liked just one in a window, but when ever there was a person, they were right smack in front of my camera. Or else there are very few people. I may have to go back next week. Without people, it just looks like abstract art.

There's this one...
    6658658-M.jpg

Or this...
    6726603-M.jpg

Or this one - (has some people in the window)
    6658668-M.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 30, 2004
    rutt wrote:

John, I think Ginger is right - this flower is too dead center. I like the colors and the tonality, but too dead center.

And I strongly suspect that an ideal subject for lines and curves will be manmade rather than organic, Ginger's sandy beach fence may be an exeption to this rule.

Also I know what you said about shooting flowers in the past. But it is a lovely shot of a flower with nice soft light, and just needed to be cropped off center. A great shot, but not right for "Lines and Curves" I think.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 30, 2004
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2014&stc=1
    lynnma wrote:
    I ripped off the ankle brace and drove myself back to this waterfall and there were men fishing!!! so I pushed them in.. no just kidding.. I went back AGAIN and retook the shot. I'm not sure whether to crop the top out more.. is it any better?? and is it any good? don't worry bout my feelings.. it's all a learning curve for me..:D
    This is much, much better Lynn! I like the color and reflections in the surface of the water.thumb.gif

This should have been your entry for reflections too!clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    Architecture lines
    I am really flondering on this... here are some lines with a touch of curves

2337_qmkt_s.jpg

2457_govctr_s.jpg

2465_govctr_s.jpg

2464_govctr_s.jpg

2468_govctr_s.jpg
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    Clematis Bud
    6740897-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    6740897-S.jpg
    Boy, is that ever nice! I see the lines and curves. I love the composition. This is one of the best flowers that's ever been posted in dgrin, IMHO.
    If not now, when?