Options

>>> challenge 19 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    7343737-S.jpg

7343206-S.jpg
    Ginette, the boy kissing the kitten is adorable, but I'd be so tempted to crop the shot. The second one is great - I especially like the perfect composition. Perhaps a little more depth and saturation? Or some Andy toning? It needs a little something extra to make it special, I'm thinking. It's a fun shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    7349961-S.jpg

Classic shot, Ginger. The church came out really well. But this gets to one of my issues with some of the shots in the refelctions challenge - it only works one way. The reflection is great, but there's nothing interesting about the ground around the puddle. I think for such a shot to be truly effective, it has to work both ways - the background and also the reflection. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    Been stuck in side and evacuated my home to avoid hurricane Charley. Not much wide angle shooting for me. Finally ventured out to the beach today and the clouds were nasty.

mitch

Mitchell, I really like your first shot. It's the combination of the heavy skies and angry sea.... with the beach that's empty save for the sandals. Lots of implied stories there, great stuff.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    7355639-S.jpg

Wow, your camra really captures the color well, and it's so sharp. Nice shot. Missing a little magic, perhaps?

7355649-S.jpg

This one's really nice, sorta caught between being backlit and just having a rough time with the lighting.

7355663-S.jpg

My favorite, because of the kid. But by trying to get the kid and the plane, the composition doesn't feel quite right. others may disagree... but I've made this kind of shot many times, and always felt that I got the composition wrong. Maybe lower and closer to the kid, so the plane's more of a background? ne_nau.gif

Nice shots, man, and I still really like the kid one.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    7362763-S.jpg

Pathfinder, this one's beautiful. Lovely sky, soft green grass and great composition. Sweet shot.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    7378275-S.jpg

If he were closer to the lower third of the image, it would be really strong. I see what you mean about using the wide angle to create large space.

7378424-S.jpg

Like this one. Maybe it's only me, but there's something I really like about the small boat in the big water.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    7377720-S.jpg

Great fun, Cletus, and I think the framing works really well. I can see why you entered it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    Market Day 18mm by ginger
    7454749-L.jpg
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Dog's Life 18mm by ginger
    7454947-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks snap.. this is with some curve in lab.. I'm not sure what I'm doing tho...
    Lynn, this second version of the shot is terrific, mostly because of the reflEctions. Cool image!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    7445130-S.jpg

Shakey, this one's fantastic. I'm not a big fan of sunrise/sunset shots, but this one's a standout, with the colors, landscape rays of light. Outstanding image, old son.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    7403244-S.jpg

Wow, you've been at it, Shakester. this is also great. Unusual, grainy, nice compo, colors - cool shot.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    flowers 18mm by ginger
    7454997-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    A good market for them 18mm by ginger
    7455159-L.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    Took a moment to check out the challenge shots.. some really lovely stuff going on there. Snappy I like your after the fire shot and shakey your sunset is beautiful.. very different take on the usual as Sid says. Everyones shots are great! this is going to be a tough one I think. Ginger I love your doggie shot.. but then you and me and suckers for dogs. Seems like I don't like taking shots of peoplerolleyes1.gif all I seem to do is wander around in the forest taking shots of treesrolleyes1.gif ... Oh well..

Lynn
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Took a moment to check out the challenge shots.. some really lovely stuff going on there. Snappy I like your after the fire shot and shakey your sunset is beautiful.. very different take on the usual as Sid says. Everyones shots are great! this is going to be a tough one I think. Ginger I love your doggie shot.. but then you and me and suckers for dogs. Seems like I don't like taking shots of peoplerolleyes1.gif all I seem to do is wander around in the forest taking shots of treesrolleyes1.gif ... Oh well..

Lynn

You wander around shooting trees and I just shoot horses. It's sooo hard not to crop. Last night we had a spectacular cloud formation that appeared as if it was a lava eruption from a volcano, positioned perfectly above a local hill--I would have had to be 5 miles closer to frame it correctly for a wide shot. Waaaah.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    7455159-L.jpg
    Wonderful photograph ginger, it tells a story.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    I've changed my shot in the challenge.. if anyone happens to be in there I'd appreciate a comment (good or bad) in this thread.:D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    shakey - lose the b&w this time
    the color version is * w-o-w * holy smokes i like it.

should the horizon be leveled or am i not seeing it properly? i'm on my craptop so that's why i'm asking.

it's a stunning shot, tim. stunning. did i say it was stunning?
    Shakey wrote:
    7445130-S.jpg

Tim
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Wonderful photograph ginger, it tells a story.
    Thanks, Thomas. You nailed me right there. I am a story teller!

I second Andy's reaction to Shakey's photo, the mtns. Yes it needs leveling, in order to be level.

However, I would ask the question, does one want it level? Seriously, I have given thought to some of this composition stuff. In these things we call flaws, I often find they add an indefinable tension to the photograph.

Artist's call. Shakey, I would try leveling the photo, and putting it side by side with the other one, this one that is not quite level, and see which you will like better. You will lose a bit of the photo by leveling it.

And, for the rest of you, Andy, Harry, Sid, et al, have any of you given thought to the added tension, sometimes good, added by what some would call a flaw. I do not alway level a photograph. It is usually a vertical. But it is a thought I am having more and more.

Like my decision re the lighting on my entry this time. Not perfect lighting, not razor sharp. The story I want to tell, I think is better told with the imperfections.

Thoughts, in general.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Lynn, YOOO HOOO, I am here, at least now. I do like your "new" entry. However, before entering it, I would bring out the color on the boat and the paddle.

If that is impossible, I would go back to the clothesline.

Unless we could all enter Tim's photo. A WOW photo.

A tough Challenge.

I am proud of my entry and to be in this company. Andy must be proud of his "group".

ginger clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    Something I have learned this Challenge
    Remember, I did get in trouble cropping, it was inadvertent. I had on my 18 to 55mm lens, I came in to get a really good shot of my dog, Katie, a Yorkshire Terrier, terribly difficult to photograph. And this was not for the Challenge. I forgot and left it on 55 one shot, too many. So I understand wanting to crop.

This is just a story, again, with a photo, as it is I telling the story, and it is about photographs. I had taken a shot of this sunset at the Coast Guard Station on Sullivan's Island. We were leaving, and we left by the "old" way, the causeway, the same place I took my rainbow shot. I was watching, in this big company van that Bill was driving. He never stops when I tell him, and he can never "fit" the van anywhere. I warned him ahead of time to watch for the sunset. We saw it, Red Sky. Nowhere to pull over, then I saw a place, and a miracle, he pulled over.

His words were, you can't get anything with that lens. He knew I was shooting at 18mm for the week. I have my entry to the Challenge, and yet I am still, until Monday, shooting at 18mm, never can tell what I will find, I guess.

OK, it looked dismal. The skyline of Charleston was over there to my left. No way was the wide angle going to get it, and it didn't. To make this a tad shorter, I ended up with, for instance, this shot.

Desperately, I shot towards the road, never do I do that. I am a story teller of people, hope for sadness, poverty, etc. Don't get it often, but that is my dream shot kind of thing. I have been that since I was 8 yrs old. But in scenics, I try to make them pretty, as did my father before me. Don't let people see the real world, it is boring in a scenic, that has been my way of thinking.

I like this scenic, here, this sunset. It is the real world, the road I have traveled for 20 years, my safe place, but it is the ugly part of it, the road, with the cars. And, because of this "silly" wide angle fetish, I have a shot to cherish. It is my real world, the beautiful things of god, nature, what have you over powering the manmade intrusions.

So, I have learned when life hands you lemons.............. truthfully, even with a wide angle lens, you can make lemonade. Not your beverage of choice, maybe, nor your usual beverage, but you can get a picture, one you will love, outside of your box.

Remember, though, I was in an area I love, makes a difference, shooting with your heart. If you hate it, shoot as though you hate it, if you love it, shoot from the heart always.

Sorry, was very tired today, have done nothing, did sleep a bit. Feeling philosophical, but I really do believe in what I have said.

We can all shoot wide if we let go of our preconceived ideas, and a flawed shot is sometimes a perfect shot.

That is the essence of my two posts. Here is my sunset, unchanged, not worked up, that I remember, not straightened at all, no energy for that.

g
    7451649-L.jpg

Sullivan's Island causeway 2004 Photography by ginger
  • Options
    johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    One more. I don't think it's THE shot, but comments would be appreciated.

IMG_6202.jpg
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    One more. I don't think it's THE shot, but comments would be appreciated.

IMG_6202.jpg
    I really like that, Johnny! I mean it has something, a story, something to say. Not sure what, but I like it. wondering re the picture the MLK picture, is it on both things, the wall and the other thing, reflected, imposed, ???

ginger
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2004
    but I digress
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Remember, I did get in trouble cropping, it was inadvertent. I had on my 18 to 55mm lens, I came in to get a really good shot of my dog, Katie, a Yorkshire Terrier, terribly difficult to photograph. And this was not for the Challenge. I forgot and left it on 55 one shot, too many. So I understand wanting to crop.
    <snip>
    Remember, though, I was in an area I love, makes a difference, shooting with your heart. If you hate it, shoot as though you hate it, if you love it, shoot from the heart always.

Good advice. I couldn't resist, had changed lenses to capture my "mock volcano" last night...no way could I have driven close enough for the wide to work--just wanted to share it. No cropping, shot at <blush> 160mm @200ISO 180@f9.5. Forgive me for clogging the thread.:cry
    7483879-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2004
    It was actually stenciled on both objects. I think what I like most about it is the plurality of the images, the nitty grittynes of the wall at the point of the left MLK stencil, and the rich dark colors. I just don't think it's the one though. I just took a bunch more shots this evening that might be it. We'll see. Thanks for the comment.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    Good advice. I couldn't resist, had changed lenses to capture my "mock volcano" last night...no way could I have driven close enough for the wide to wor7483879-S.jpgk--just wanted to share it. No cropping, shot at <blush> 160mm @200ISO 180@f9.5. Forgive me for clogging the thread.:cry
    That is beautiful, thanks for sharing. Yes, it would have been a bit difficult to get to that place.

It is a beautiful shot. The mtns and the clouds.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    Good advice. I couldn't resist, had changed lenses to capture my "mock volcano" last night...no way could I have driven close enough for the wide to work--just wanted to share it. No cropping, shot at <blush> 160mm @200ISO 180@f9.5. Forgive me for clogging the thread.:cry
    7483879-M.jpg
    Cool, very cool.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I really like that, Johnny! I mean it has something, a story, something to say. Not sure what, but I like it. wondering re the picture the MLK picture, is it on both things, the wall and the other thing, reflected, imposed, ???

ginger
    Cool composition, edgy, I like it.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2004
    Uh-oh now I've done it. Here's 7 more shots in the mix. I have a really hard time telling which photo is the best as far as content, composition, etc goes. Take a gander. I caught some good moments this evening... I think. So I guess really what I want to know is which one is YOUR favorite?

IMG_6207.jpg
    IMG_6222.jpg
    IMG_6235-2.jpg
    IMG_6235.jpg
    IMG_6257.jpg
    IMG_6298.jpg
    IMG_6325.jpg