Options

>>> challenge 19 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Andy... Negative ec???????? I'm asittin here muttering negative ec, hmmm negative ec....I"m sure I know what it means... don't I???headscratch.gif
    p.s. fabulous shot of the bridge.. I'm gonna get me a shot like that one day...
    I'm thinkin exposure compensation.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Resting in Camp

7533700-S.jpg

Lynn, the subject matter doesn't really grab me, but I'm wild about your B&W technique! This looks fantastic.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Serenity
    7539019-S.jpg

This is a really cool shot, Lynn. Is the horizon slightly tilted to the left?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    One more......

IMG%208233.1_ni.jpg

I quite like the effect, spockster. I know Ginger says she doesn't care for its artificiality, but I'm not caring too much about that. It just looks interesting.
    Sid.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Lynn, the subject matter doesn't really grab me, but I'm wild about your B&W technique! This looks fantastic.
    Hey! thanks sid.. only took me about four hours...rolleyes1.gif
    four hours of channel mixing.. curving, more mixing etc etc etc....
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    This is a really cool shot, Lynn. Is the horizon slightly tilted to the left?
    it is... I shall fix it...
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Serenity
    7543313-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I knew that...yea right.. rolleyes1.gif what else could it be..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    7543313-S.jpg

Mucho great! I like the one you entered, the foamy one, too.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I quite like the effect, spockster. I know Ginger says she doesn't care for its artificiality, but I'm not caring too much about that. It just looks interesting.
    Sid, Spockling re city photo. You know when I first saw that photo I thought it was doctored to make the colors look real.

That is why I said that. Then just before I ran out the door, I peeked at it again, and I thought, geez, it is suppose to look fake. But my husband was waiting for me, etc. So I didn't have time to say anything.

It just struck me then, which is better than saying what I think now, because I have no thoughts right now.

But it struck me then that the reason I thought it was supposed to look real was because so much of it was colored. What if there was less color in certain areas, then accents that stood out, so it was a city, yet a design.

And that is probably what it is now, but I really have no thoughts left. At the time I was thinking if the grass and the sky weren't both colored, or something like that.

Sid, I love that little girl at the ball game. Are you going to put that one in the Challenge, or not. I am waiting for it. I think it is a classic.

Technically the shot of the city with the ball game is perfect, and all, but for my heartstrings there is that little girl with the lighting and all. I will tell you honestly that when I first saw it, I thought, "darn, there go my chances". I was jealous. Now there is so much good stuff, well, jealousy would eat me up, if I got upset at all the good stuff.

But I love that little girl. It is a life magazine heart tugger classic. (Is that enough??)

(I hope I have the right names with the right shots.)

Good luck to both of you, Spockling and Sid.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    7543313-L.jpg
    Very nice, love the composition. Your exposure is great with preservation of the shadow details. bowdown.gif

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2004
    Wide Still Lifes
    "Diving Board" 27mm 1/350 F13 ISO 400 - comments appreciated

7582936-L.jpg

"Tree Swing" 29mm f/19 1/15 ISO 800

7582937-L.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:

Don't see too many of these around anymore.
    I love it Thomas, I mean I really do. Brings back the memory, singular, of the one time I went to the top of one of those, didn't even jump, though I had a daughter going off at the age of 4, regularly.

You captured the old diving board feel perfectly.

ginger

You are going to enter it, I assume. You should, it is IMO a winner.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love it Thomas, I mean I really do. Brings back the memory, singular, of the one time I went to the top of one of those, didn't even jump, though I had a daughter going off at the age of 4, regularly.

You captured the old diving board feel perfectly.

ginger

You are going to enter it, I assume. You should, it is IMO a winner.
    Glad you like it Ginger. Its getting down to the wire.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    All Photos taken at apprx 14mm
    Lynn:
    WoW! That's what I have to say about your Lake Scene (Serenity?). WoW! I Love the Color, the fog on the mountains, the reflections on the still water, the grass, and the boulders! WoW! It's a reall wall image. WoW.
    Lake Scene

JohnnyD:
    You suceeded in transforming a mundame fire escape into a terrific image. Great handling of the color & composition, the shadows and graffiti really play well into the shot. Very Nice.
    Fire Escape

Shakey:
    Wonderful handling of the movement of the water. The colors, the composition... Wonderful!
    7447907-S.jpg

Spockling:
    I really like everything about your City Scene.
    The color, the crispness, the shadows, the traffic on the roadway.
    Very Nice.

RuTT:
    I am still really pulled to your image of the small boat in the big water. It just seems to work. The clouds, the composition, the colors, details... Just great.
    7506155-S.jpg

ginette

I've been out there taking photos as I can this week... Did a few more today, and will post a few... Please... Comments...
    Thanks,
    ginette

"Country Store-Driver, Virginia"
    7587116-L.jpg

"Grain Hoppers-Windsor, Virginia" V.1
    7586929-L.jpg
    "Grain Hoppers-Windsor, Virginia" V.2
    7586905-L.jpg

Comments... Please...

ginette

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Glad you like it Ginger. Its getting down to the wire.

I liked both of those, Thomas! How're you going to choose?

Lynne
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 22, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Its getting down to the wire.
    Right you are Thomas. So here are a few new images for discussion....ne_nau.gif

28mm in 35 per smugmug
    7409907-L.jpg

24mm in 35 per smugmug
    7486160-L.jpg

28mm per smugmug
    7484298-L.jpg

19mm per smugmug
    7523386-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    Comments, Please.... (all 14mm apprx)
    Couple More?

"1957 Chevy: V.1
    7586254-L.jpg

"1957 Chevy: V.2
    7586369-L.jpg

"1957 Chevy: V.3
    7586565-L.jpg

"the Cronies" Country Store- Driver Virginia
    7587202-L.jpg
    All photos at appx 14mm
    Comments, Please....
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Right you are Thomas. So here are a few new images for discussion....ne_nau.gif

28mm in 35 per smugmug
    7409907-S.jpg

28mm per smugmug
    7484298-S.jpg

19mm per smugmug
    Path:

I see that I am not the only one up well into the night... at least were you on the East Coast... Ditto on feeling the pressure of coming down to the wire! Still hope tomorrow?

I like the two above photos.
    Find humor in the mural.

The Cemetary Photo, is beautiful, even if bittersweet. The sunset colors beautiful, nice handling of the fore to background.
    Nicely done.
    ginette
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    I've been out there taking photos as I can this week... Did a few more today, and will post a few... Please... Comments...
    Thanks,
    ginette

"Country Store-Driver, Virginia"

"Grain Hoppers-Windsor, Virginia" V.1
    7586929-S.jpg

Comments... Please...

ginette

Ginette, This is my choice. thumb.gif It is simple, but it "goes" somewhere. Only thing that bothers me is the side of the rail car and the rail. Are they blown? Any way of "toning" them down?headscratch.gif

p.s. Thanks for your comments....Don't know if that's my entry yet. Have another one I'm working on.....:D
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    7531984-Th.jpg

I really like this one Lynne..very calming, I prefer the colour version too!
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Spockling, I think the orange toning on the cityscape is cool thumb.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Aboard the Piera
    Here is a different kind of sailboat. The Piera is a 50 year old 45 foot wooden sailboat. I can ride on it when things are near becalmed.

21mm, but cropped a little to get the horizon straight (no mean feat through the viewfinder in this situation.)

7593863-L.jpg

This next one might not be elegible, I had to rotate it 8 degrees to get the horizon straight and then I cropped appropriately. Still it give a good feeling for this wonderful boat.

7594443-L.jpg

Here it is rotated, but not cropped:

7594656-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    7582937-S.jpg

The diving board might be more evocative, but this is a better composition and a more interesting angle. Colors are working as well. Would be better with some hint of the children who play with it, IMHO.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    7531984-Th.jpg

I really like this one Lynne..very calming, I prefer the colour version too!
    I have to agree. Taking this one to B&W seems *very* arbitrary when it is so beautiful the way it is. What is gained by the B&W conversion in this case? Really. The color in this shot adds so much. It gives a time of day and year. It lends a sense of peace. In B&W, it could be an artic scene or an ice skating pond or a nuclear winter. What was the point?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I have to agree. Taking this one to B&W seems *very* arbitrary when it is so beautiful the way it is. What is gained by the B&W conversion in this case? Really. The color in this shot adds so much. It gives a time of day and year. It lends a sense of peace. In B&W, it could be an artic scene or an ice skating pond or a nuclear winter. What was the point?
    I know... I struggled with that.. I kept thinking that I was not adding anything by converting it to black and white. Thanks for your comments Rutt.:D
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    7587116-S.jpg

Interesting idea, but too busy, I think. Maybe if you open up the shadows and do something startling with the colors, you can overcome this. But I know how you feel, I have a basement *and* a garrage like this.
    7586905-S.jpg

This is the better of the two train shots IMHO. Naturally, I have questions abou the B&W conversion. Doing this to train shots is something of a cliche. It's easy to understand why people do it... trains, yesterday, the bygone era of steam and B&W. But it seems to be the first thing people think of with trains. What happens if you go for the best color you can get in this shot? Is something important lost?

Even if you do opt for the B&W, I think you can do a better job. Black could be blacker and the white freight car could have some sort of tone. Have you read "Freind and Foe in Black in White" from Dan Margulis's "Professional Photoshop".

I'd figure out how to sharpen more and bring out the details in the machinery under the cars.

I like the composition here a lot; it's worth fussing with.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Here is a different kind of sailboat. The Piera is a 50 year old 45 foot wooden sailboat. I can ride on it when things are near becalmed.

21mm, but cropped a little to get the horizon straight (no mean feat through the viewfinder in this situation.)

This next one might not be elegible, I had to rotate it 8 degrees to get the horizon straight and then I cropped appropriately. Still it give a good feeling for this wonderful boat.

Here it is rotated, but not cropped:
    Hi Rutt, I like the rotated version if it's elegible, can't see why not really.. do you think the colors need to bump up a tad, bring out the wood and sky a little more?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:

"Tree Swing" 29mm f/19 1/15 ISO 800
    I like the diving board out of these two.. I think it need a tad of curve maybe but I seem to be curving everything these days even if it does'nt need it rolleyes1.gif