Options

>>> challenge 19 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I like the diving board out of these two.. I think it need a tad of curve maybe but I seem to be curving everything these days even if it does'nt need it rolleyes1.gif
    I want to add that I like the diving board best. Definitely. Lynn, I like yours in color best (the quiet one, the one up there now). Spockling, I think it is yours, I like the color in your shot now, as I have gotten used to it, in fact when I see it now, I don't see it as the same shot I first saw, and it is. Rutt, I like the Optimist. Ginette, all your train shots are good, will leave to others to decide which one. Color might be interesting. Oh, the cemetery shots, I guess I like the blk and white best, but that is a tough call.

I can't remember what else, am doing this off the top of my head, have to get ready for church.

Will check later.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    Ginette, I like The Cronies. I think that is yours. I could give you all the reasons if I had time, but it is definitely a wide shot and not the cliche of the railroad, it is nostalgic, ...........

g
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    Rutt, I think those large sailboats are very difficult to do, unless you are in another sailboat shooting at the one you were in, sails out, or end of day, or something. But while in them, they tend to overwhelm, IMO.

I still like the Optimist, and that is maybe why. More of "a story", simple, etc.

g
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    Rutt, if you go out in the big boat today, try to simplifiy. I did that stuff for two years in the eighties, very difficult.

A shot that works, wheel and person, wheel as the subject, hoizon level if poss, the sail, various sail shots, isolated, some with rigging, some without. Also people shots, sitting, but the empasis on the people.

Those are the ones I think of. Shoot lots, don't hate me for posting this, just trying to help, in 80s went out on a boat like that a lot for at least two yrs. very difficult.

But pick a subj matter and narrow down. Color is a subj, doing that on the sail, even if white, that is a subj, the color of the sail.

Wheel is a subj, and people, but not all at once, and the boat is kind of agonner, look for other boats, don't have a long lens, look for when it is tied up with foreground element, but some story to be told.

Sorry, maybe others will really like the ones you have done, I just did it so intensely for a bit of my life. Had no idea, would have said something.

gotta go,

luck, ginger
    maybe as I said, they are woderful as they are, I was wrong re Spocklings, hope I am wrong. I still like The Optimist a lot.

The marina itself gives a lot of possibles
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Is my 55.0mm shot from my Drebel too big for the challenge... is it sposed to be 50.0mm or less?
    thanks... lynn
    7531984-S.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 22, 2004
    [QUOTE=tmlphoto comments appreciated
    [img][/img]7582937-S.jpg

"Tree Swing" 29mm f/19 1/15 ISO 800

[/QUOTE]I agree with Rutt - I think this is the better composition and I think the color is used much more effectively. I am always a sucker for a good diagonal line1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Old South Warf at 7pm
    I've taken this shot a lot of times at all hours of the day, but this one is particularly nice.

21mm

7594502-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Here is my other shot I've been working on....
    IMG_8234.3_ni.jpg

Is it too much?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I've taken this shot a lot of times at all hours of the day, but this one is particularly nice.

21mm
    Rutt I LOVE this shot.. has so much in it.. and I'm a sucker for water and reflections...clap.gif7594502-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    spockling wrote:

Is it too much?
    I really like it.. is it tilting a little to the right? you can crop just a tinsy bit to straighten or use perspective tool.. Nice colors:D
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    Miller Time for the Fishing Fleet
    These days it's mostly flounder and (believe it or not) conch. They get $9/pound for conch in the shell from the "italians". They say it makes better chowder than clams.

21mm.
    7594496-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    IMG_8234.3_ni.jpg

Is it too much?
    Try opening the shadows with showdow/highlight if you have PS/CS. Start from values like 24/70/40 and play around. Then you will probably have to correct again with curves in LAB or CMYK to reestablish black and wite points. Do you really want the slight magenta cast in the sky and bridge?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    These days it's mostly flounder and (believe it or not) conch. They get $9/pound for conch in the shell from the "italians". They say it makes better chowder than clams.

21mm.
    I like this one too... but I love the first..
    7594496-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004

Ginette I missed this somehow!! what a great shot... I love it.. wonder what it looks like in black and white....:D
    7587202-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    rutt wrote:

21mm.
    7594496-S.jpg
    Rutt, I just got home. I prefer this one to the other one. Doesn't matter to me, but I worry on the other one about the boat cut off on the left on the other one. One strong reason to worry about that might be that Andy pointed out what would have been a perfect shot of mine, except for a person who was cut off, kind at the back of one of mine, on the left.

This is just my opinion. I do like these photos better than the boat. I like Miller time particularly better. That is independent of the boat being cut off in the other one, I just prefer this one, but that is just me here.

g
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Is my 55.0mm shot from my Drebel too big for the challenge... is it sposed to be 50.0mm or less?
    thanks... lynn
    7531984-S.jpg
    The one that everyone had a fit about, was disqualified, and Dave asked me to please take it off the Challenge, post haste, it was a dRebel 55mm. I thought it was 18mm, but it turned out that I was mistaken. Long story.

Anyway, I was disqualified with a 55mm digital dRebel, would have converted to about 80 something, I think. I don't know if you are talking about the 55mm being digital or the converted figure.

I looked to see if there were any comments, looked very fast just now, as just walked in the door.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I agree with Rutt - I think this is the better composition and I think the color is used much more effectively. I am always a sucker for a good diagonal line1drink.gif

This is the one I care about. So I guess I am going to say one more time, and it is just my opinion, but I still prefer the diving board which I think is close to a genius idea, and to get the rust with it. The composition does not bother me at all, in fact I thought it was good.

I get vertigo just looking at that shot.

Also, the one Sid took of the little girl at the ball park/game. I haven't seen it for a while, but I so much like the diving board that you did, Pathfinder, and the little girl that Sid did.

I don't want to be responsible, though, for anyone losing out because of my opinion, but want to make sure that I really get it across.

In the end, I hope everyone makes their own choices, I did.

ginger
  • Options
    penelopepenelope Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2004
    Wonderful Entries
    As guest judge for this challenge I thought that I'd better go have a look at the entries so far, and I must say that I am really impressed with the high standard of your photos. It's going to be a really tough job to choose the finallists.
    clap.gif Great work you guys!
    ....Penelope
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    penelope wrote:
    As guest judge for this challenge I thought that I'd better go have a look at the entries so far, and I must say that I am really impressed with the high standard of your photos. It's going to be a really tough job to choose the finallists.
    clap.gif Great work you guys!
    ....Penelope
    Thanks, Penelope, we try:D That was an outstanding photograph that you did, the shot under Andy's, the one that won another Challenge, on dPreview, I think.

I was very impressed with your shot.clap.gif Thanks so much for previewing our shots. I know there are more great shots to be posted on our Challenge, before noon tomorrow.

gingerbowdown.gifiloveyou.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Thanks Rutt. Without PS/CS though I could only manage this. I did remove the duotone however.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Thanks Rutt. Without PS/CS though I could only manage this. I did remove the duotone however.
    Ssssshhhhhh, spockling, i like it better, now, ssssshhhh.

I feel so bad about saying bad things before, but I do like it better now.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    Ginger I put your tutorial up. deal.gif:D
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Ginger I put your tutorial up. deal.gif:D
    Thanks, Lynn!:D thumb.gif I just got done printing it out, it is great with your little circles and all. I have kind of tried that before somehow. I remember it as being difficult to find the dark areas, I ended up just moving the dropper around, until the effect was good, then did the same with the other. I am so untechnical, I improvise, then when that doesn't work, I forget about the whole thing. Will work harder on it next week.

Do you have any of his other books? There is one, something about tricks and things, I was interested in that. And there is another book I have been interested in. It is Photoshop Classic Effects. I liked the looks of it, but it was the one book I wanted that I didn't order. I just kind of imploded from the rediculous idea that I was really going to read everything or could afford it. Now I am waiting for what I did order to come from slooooow shipping and other money saving tricks.

Has anyone liked any of his other books? And what about Photoshop Classic Effects? Anyone?

ginger
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Great Spockling...
    I like this a lot now. But, it still bothers me that it's slightly tilted. Can you straighten it a bit? It's a great image.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    I like this a lot now. But, it still bothers me that it's slightly tilted. Can you straighten it a bit? It's a great image.
    Hi, Snappy, and I owe you, too. I don't think he, you, Spockling, can take any more off, the lion is already very close to the edge.

I just looked to see why eveyone was saying tilted, are you talking about the perspective? If so, you are the expert. I practiced twice, kind of got it once and failed the second time, so I am still learning to fix the perspective, but don't you have to crop some to do that and where would Spockling crop?

Just thinking,
    ginger
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Don't go halfway. What is the color accomplishing now? Take it all the way to B&W or fix the color. You can probably fix the shadows with just the right L curve.

Even more than B&W conversion, selective color makes a huge statement. And unlike B&W it isn't interwoven in photograhic history. It's sort of a fad. OK, use it when you are using it to say something very specefic and want to underline it and put exclamations marks after it and dress it up in hip huggers and tatoos. But don't just fall into it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    [
    28mm in 35 per smugmug
    7409907-S.jpg

Jim, I love this subject and I think the color is sublime. The composition doesn't grab me. I think I liked the older vertical graveyard shot better. Maybe you have to take a page from your own book and have a strong foreground element. Or pay closer attention to the negative space.

24mm in 35 per smugmug
    7486160-S.jpg

This shot with the beautiful color of the previous would be a winner. B&W graveyards are like B&W trains. Been done too many times.

28mm per smugmug
    7484298-S.jpg

This is a great find, and the off center color is very interesting. So retro. It repays a lot of looking and I think you should enter it.

19mm per smugmug
    7523386-S.jpg

As Lynn once told me about something or another, Jim, it's not you. Use the retro shot from just above, or perfect the graveyard.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    Jim, I agree with Rutt, the second one from the bottom.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    Ginger & Spockling...
    Re the lion tower shot. The tall buildings on both sides lean in and the central tower's horizontal lines lean to the right. I opened it, clicked on Image>transform>distort. I pulled both of the top corners out until the buildings lined up with the sides. Then I clicked Image>rotate>free rotate layer. I put a grid over the picture and rotated it until the horizontal lines of the tower were level with the grid. I ended up with a tiny space at the top and on the lower left side. I cloned in the sky and the left side. I didn't crop at all. This is what I ended up with.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    Jim, I agree with Rutt and ginger...
    The mural on the brick wall is a very interesting shot. A unique find. Much more interesting than the cemetary. Go for it. thumb.gif