Options

>>> challenge 19 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Thanks, Snappy, that was a great tutorial. I am going to print it out.

I just got through reading about 3 pages on how to do that, in Kelby's book I read it.

Much more involved than anything you just said. And you will be around to help me, too. Did you say what happens to the ...............it will probably work out, I will play with it.

Thanks, muchly,
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Is my 55.0mm shot from my Drebel too big for the challenge... is it sposed to be 50.0mm or less?
    thanks... lynn
    7531984-S.jpg
    Lovely shot Lynn. If the 55mm is already the 35mm equivalent you should be ok for the challenge, although Andy would have the final say. Whats a few mm's says me.headscratch.gif I think you should enter it. You might PM Andy just to make sure.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Sarha's Hair -- Winner Nantucket Sandcastle Contest - Creative Division
    21mm, but rotated 2.25 degrees and then cropped to make square.

7629868-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    rutt wrote:

7629868-S.jpg

That is a wonderful picture, Rutt.
    On the technicalities, I don't understand what you mean, but I don't need to, I just like the picture.

ginger
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Comments Please, on "MaTT's Distraction"
    rutt wrote:

7629868-Ti.jpg

RuTT
    :
    So cute. Great opportunity! Nicely balanced, I think.

Lynn:
    I think your Serenity image is wonderful. One of the best, you've entered of late! I really do like it! Kudos.

Here's one last "Wide Angle Image" for me. Shot late this evening before I locked onto the gymnastics competition of the 2004 Olympics.

"MaTT's Distraction"
    7634612-L.jpg

Shutter: 1/14 Aperture: 4.0 ISO: 800 No Flash No Crop
    Focal Length: 8.90mm x 1.6 + 14.24mm

Comments? Please?

ginette

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    The list of superlatives goes on and on and on... WoW!
    WoW Lynne... This one is gorgeous!!! clap.gif
    Fabulous sky, and color... But even more is the composition, the detail in the shadows, movement in the mane, and your "baby's" rapt attention on something out there we can't see. bowdown.gifWoW!!! bowdown.gif So Lovely!
    ginette

7635628-S.jpg

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    Nice correction, Snappy
    snapapple wrote:
    Re the lion tower shot. The tall buildings on both sides lean in and the central tower's horizontal lines lean to the right. I opened it, clicked on Image>transform>distort. I pulled both of the top corners out until the buildings lined up with the sides. Then I clicked Image>rotate>free rotate layer. I put a grid over the picture and rotated it until the horizontal lines of the tower were level with the grid. I ended up with a tiny space at the top and on the lower left side. I cloned in the sky and the left side. I didn't crop at all. This is what I ended up with.
    Nice correction, Snappy... Really makes the image work!thumb.gif
    ginette
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Thanks Snappy and Rutt. Hopefully I did this right......
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Comments? Please?
    ginette

7634612-S.jpg
    I have a comment.

Stunning. The expressions, the poses, the lighting, the framing, the subject matter... all perfect. Gracious, what a nice photo.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Is my 55.0mm shot from my Drebel too big for the challenge... is it sposed to be 50.0mm or less?
    thanks... lynn
    7531984-S.jpg

Lynn, That's a beautiful image. I like the colors and the lighting very much. I'll leave it to Andy, but I suspect you're right. 55mm x 1.6 magnification factor = 88mm. Or are you including the maginifcation facotr in the 55mm?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    Ginette: Enter it!

Great use of that wide angle lens.clap.gif
    And the subject, words fail me, I just woke up, but it is a WOW!

ginger
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

RuTT:
    So cute. Great opportunity! Nicely balanced, I think.

Lynn:
    I think your Serenity image is wonderful. One of the best, you've entered of late! I really do like it! Kudos.

Here's one last "Wide Angle Image" for me. Shot late this evening before I locked onto the gymnastics competition of the 2004 Olympics.

"MaTT's Distraction"

Shutter: 1/14 Aperture: 4.0 ISO: 800 No Flash No Crop
    Focal Length: 8.90mm x 1.6 + 14.24mm

Comments? Please?

ginette

Stunning is right.. I love this picture. Everything about is perfect congratulations Ginette!!!clap.gifclap.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif7634612-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Lynn, That's a beautiful image. I like the colors and the lighting very much. I'll leave it to Andy, but I suspect you're right. 55mm x 1.6 magnification factor = 88mm. Or are you including the maginifcation facotr in the 55mm?
    no, it's no good... have to find another.. no matter, another learning curvethumb.gif
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    no, it's no good... have to find another.. no matter, another learning curvethumb.gif

Oh no! Are you now submitting the foamy one?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    That's too bad, Lynn. That is what happened to the dog picture that you liked, the one peeking over the rocks. Exact same mm, 55.

g
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Oh no! Are you now submitting the foamy one?
    yeah.. the foamy one, which I actually don't really like much but what I do love is learning from this forum. Now I have a REAL understanding of wide angle, focal length etc.. or at least a better one. Every challenge pushes us a little further to be creative and learn and I love that..
    Now for the song titles??? that should be a lot of fun for us all. I love how this challenge forced us to compose through the lens.. something I used to not pay too much attention to.. now I do. :D
    Good luck everyone!

clap.gif
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Considering a last minute entry change here. What do you think?

Replacing this...
    7399263-M.jpg

With this:

7649919-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

Replacing this...

With this:
    Gota run but I think I like the wing better.. this one looks a little faded out, unless you can bump up the colors a bit.. I'll be interested to hear other comments..
    lynn
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Gota run but I think I like the wing better.. this one looks a little faded out, unless you can bump up the colors a bit.. I'll be interested to hear other comments..
    lynn
    Yeah, I'm still in that slump Lynn. Just not getting any shots that I want to get. Just not seeing what I should be. I need a photography vacation I think.

Doug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    tick - tock ....
    entries close in just under two hours, at noon nyc time today, monday august 23rd.

deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

Replacing this...
    7399263-M.jpg

With this:

7649919-S.jpg

Dug:
    While I really think your bouys on the barn wall is cool, there is something about the wing image that causes me to go back to it. The angle, the muted gray against the vivid blue sky... Were I in your place, it would be the wing.
    ginette
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004

7634612-S.jpg

Perfect child and pet portrait. I love the skin tones.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    OK, for obvious reasons, I'm was gonna enter this one. As Ginger said, it's a cliche, but I'd been hankering to do this shot, and finally did.

7414673-L.jpg

Ol' Ginger came after me pretty strong to enter this one instead. I like it, but I'm fond of my cliche. Ginger, this was a tossup even as I was writing this post. Doesn't much matter, neither will win, there are some awesome shots in this challenge.

7644438-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    Ah heck, I can't make up my mind.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    A little emergency advice please
    Whoever is out there, I have 4 very different candidates that I like for different reasons. They are so different. I need some advice in the next 40 minutes or so:

Lighthouse self portrait:

7272647-S.jpg

The Optimist:

7506155-S.jpg

Miller Time for the Nantucket Commercial Fishing Fleet:

7594496-S.jpg

Old South Warf:

7594502-S.jpg

Sarah's Hair:

7652112-S.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Lighthouse Self-Portrait is beautiful.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, for obvious reasons, I'm was gonna enter this one. As Ginger said, it's a cliche, but I'd been hankering to do this shot, and finally did.

7414673-S.jpg

Ol' Ginger came after me pretty strong to enter this one instead. I like it, but I'm fond of my cliche. Ginger, this was a tossup even as I was writing this post. Doesn't much matter, neither will win, there are some awesome shots in this challenge.

7644438-S.jpg
    OK, Sid, I'll help you if you help me. (Actually, I'll just help.) The first shot is a perfect postcard. I'd buy it and send it. The second shot is both more and less. It's not perfect becase the wide angle distortion does has an odd effect on the background on the right. It's backlight which is hard, but very dramatic in this case. There are great shadow details which is very hard in a shot like this.

I think either shot could make the finals. (But you know how bad a judge of that I am). IMHO, the second shot is a better personal statement. Enter it. WTH. FEITCTAJ
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

Dug:
    While I really think your bouys on the barn wall is cool, there is something about the wing image that causes me to go back to it. The angle, the muted gray against the vivid blue sky... Were I in your place, it would be the wing.
    ginette
    Thank you, I agree. Although neither one is representitive of what I'm capable of. I'm really getting frustrated.

Doug
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:

Whoever is out there, I have 4 very different candidates that I like for different reasons. They are so different. I need some advice in the next 40 minutes or so:
    rutt wrote:

Lighthouse self portrait:

Perfect light..different subject..i just keep looking at it; my number 1!

The Optimist:

I know it was a personal challenge to get the colours right..and you did, but it just doesn't keep my attention.

Miller Time for the Nantucket Commercial Fishing Fleet:

Like this one; nice colours and light, but it's not as memorable as the first one. This is very personal; it has too much of a postcardstyle..something i so desperately want to get rid off! :D

Old South Warf:

Nice light -again. I can see why you like the place, i miss some people in it though.

Sarah's Hair:

This one is so cute but to be honoust i'd like it even more if it was just the girl; then the simularity in hairstyle would be more obvious.

My 8 cents. :D
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    My car is dead, and so is my phone, so I have been dealing with problems, and I have not been on here.

The entries are so awesome, I am just floored. I feel like I have personally agreed to vote for about 4 or 5 of them, any of which I would love to vote for.

I have never, outside of a natl contest, seen such entries, or such a dilemma.

I am sure it is going to be difficult enough to pick the finalists, but then to vote on the winner.............

And I see that Sid went with "ginger", floored me there.

I wasn't sure you were going to enter, Sid.

I hope all of you win, hehe.

And I hope I have a car and a phone.

ginger, this one in SC

(Sid, I love it, and I love that Rutt agreed, and Rutt, I would have chosen the window shot, too. Love it!)