Options

365 Portrait Lighting Project

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2013
    Day 80

3-Light Setup:

Main: 2x2' soft box directly above and metered at f/11
    Fill: 3 pieces of white foam-core below left, center and right
    Kickers: Large gridded strip boxes on left and right metered at f/9

Pull Back:

Same as day 63

Shot:

DSC_1971-Edit-X2.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2013
    Day 81

3-Light Setup:

Backdrop: Bare SB900 centered on backdrop and feathered.

Pull Back:

DSC_2005-XL.jpg

Shot:

DSC_1989-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2013
    Day 82

3-Light Setup:

Pull Back: Same as day 81 but with different backdrop

Shot:

DSC_2028-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2013
    Day 83

3-Light Setup:

Shot:

DSC_2032-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2013
    Do love the shots, colors and all. If you want to play put the background light behind the thin cloth bkgs and even try a gel to see what effects you get.

You are doing a spectacular job with you kickers......just a kiss of light!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2013
    Thanks Hack. Love that kicker light. Really makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have several thin cloth backdrops. Gonna try placing the light behind them. See what develops.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    See, once your basics are grounded it becomes easier and you can work faster. Folks might appreciate hearing what you do for skin tones/color.

Yes indeed! We have traded messages and you have given me some good tips that I think others would benefit from.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2013
    Gaby617 wrote: »
    Yes indeed! We have traded messages and you have given me some good tips that I think others would benefit from.

Would love to share. As far as skin tones, the first important thing is getting white balance correct. Since I shoot in the same environment/lighting all the time with these shots, I have presets in LR setup for my 3 light setups. I find that my different modifiers have slightly different color casts and that's why I have 3 different presets. However, to get those correct, I simply shot a gray card and did custom WB in LR from it. I do this as well when I shoot outdoors.

Now, I think what really brings the skin tones to life is a little trick I do with layers and black white in Photoshop. Once I get the image the way I want it (i.e. healing, smoothing, curves, sharpening, etc.), I make a stamp visible layer (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E) and then import it into Nik Silver Efex Pro. I have a couple presets saved that I use to convert the shot to B&W. From memory, I have contrast at 7 or 10, structure at 20 or 25 and then the yellow and red channels tweaked. I don't remember which way right now. I simply select the preset and convert. The B&W gets returned to PS as it's own layer.

I now take the new B&W layer and place it below the Stamp Visible layer I created. I then take the Stamp Visible layer and change the blending mode to Color. What happens is that the image now takes on the tonal properties of the B&W but with the color applied from the top layer. It really makes the skin tone come to life. I finish things off by adjusting the opacity of the B&W layer to any where between 40-85%. Just depends on the person and the shot.

Just as an FYI, I use this technique with landscapes and other types of shots. You can use other blending modes as well, like Overlay, Soft Light, Multiply, but they don't work as well for portraiture. OH... and if you don't have Nik Silver Efex, you can simply make a new B&W adjustment layer in PS the same way.

I will post a shot with and without the B&W layer technique later so you guys can see the difference. Hope you guys find this helpful.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    Thanks Alex or that explanation, can't wait to give it a shot.
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2013
    I was told this technique by someone a few month back. Pretty cool, I tried it a few times and it just wasn't working for me... i'm sure it was me not the technique! lol
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2013
    What happened to the "Sticky" of this thread?
  • Options
    LubinskiLubinski Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2013
    Bump, sticky it!

*ahem*

We want moar we want moar
    ~Lubinski
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2013
    If it ended now it would be a fantastic thread... but is it done?
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2013
    I'm just re-subscribing Alex.

Aside from your lighting I just cannot get enough of Mrs. Alex.iloveyou.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2013
    This is an awesome thread, Alex please keep posting.

Marcelo
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2013
    Would love to share. As far as skin tones, the first important thing is getting white balance correct. Since I shoot in the same environment/lighting all the time with these shots, I have presets in LR setup for my 3 light setups. I find that my different modifiers have slightly different color casts and that's why I have 3 different presets. However, to get those correct, I simply shot a gray card and did custom WB in LR from it. I do this as well when I shoot outdoors.

Now, I think what really brings the skin tones to life is a little trick I do with layers and black white in Photoshop. Once I get the image the way I want it (i.e. healing, smoothing, curves, sharpening, etc.), I make a stamp visible layer (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E) and then import it into Nik Silver Efex Pro. I have a couple presets saved that I use to convert the shot to B&W. From memory, I have contrast at 7 or 10, structure at 20 or 25 and then the yellow and red channels tweaked. I don't remember which way right now. I simply select the preset and convert. The B&W gets returned to PS as it's own layer.

I now take the new B&W layer and place it below the Stamp Visible layer I created. I then take the Stamp Visible layer and change the blending mode to Color. What happens is that the image now takes on the tonal properties of the B&W but with the color applied from the top layer. It really makes the skin tone come to life. I finish things off by adjusting the opacity of the B&W layer to any where between 40-85%. Just depends on the person and the shot.

Just as an FYI, I use this technique with landscapes and other types of shots. You can use other blending modes as well, like Overlay, Soft Light, Multiply, but they don't work as well for portraiture. OH... and if you don't have Nik Silver Efex, you can simply make a new B&W adjustment layer in PS the same way.

I will post a shot with and without the B&W layer technique later so you guys can see the difference. Hope you guys find this helpful.

Thanks Alex for this insight. Is there any way to do this only in Lightroom? I think all of the Nik software has integration with Lightroom. Not sure with all of the continuous improvements in LR that I want to bite the Photoshop bullet.

Thanks again, great thread.

Jim
  • Options
    juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    Great work and challenge. Keep on going!. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2013
    I just love the colors and tonality of this one. What a great shot. Portraits of this type are going to be my summer project I think. This really is great and I need to learn it. Keep it coming!! thumb.gif
    Day 82

3-Light Setup:

Shot:

DSC_2028-Edit-X2.jpg
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2013
    You out there, Alex? You've been mighty quiet. A tad worried. Hope everything is ok in AnonymousCubanoLand. iloveyou.gif