Options

365 Portrait Lighting Project

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    When extracting try to use a bkg color that is not in the subject and watch out for your spill over on the subject, it can get bright and be difficult to extract. I really like Topaz Remask for extractions.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    Hack is right about the spill of the rim light. I was going to mention that and forgot. I've struggled many times trying to select someone and the bright rim makes it really hard. Especially in the hair.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    Well if helps I am planning on shooting either white or gray. Also he is black with really short hair so that part of the extraction Im not too worried. I didnt even think about the fact that if I shoot the umbrella half and half that it would bounce on the black half. I will have to cover the inside to get it to work. Strip boxes and grids are looking better and better. Any objection to just shooting it with a 7" reflector with a 20 or 40 degree grid?
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    Day 16 - Kind of blah

3-Light Setup

Key Light: 30x60" softbox to camera left metered at f/8
    Fill Light: large white reflector to camera right
    Rim/Kicker: large gridded strip boxes to camera left and right metered at f/5.6

diagram_medium.png?1360103722

D700: 1/250 @ f/8 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 86mm
    DSC_9303-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2013
    Day 17 - Went for an edgy look today

All this talk of Joel Grimes got me wanting to try something a little more edgy. Went with his typical setup of two rims and a key light, except I decided to go with a loop light pattern rather than his typical butterfly lighting. BTW, used a fan to blow the hair but I'm not exactly sure if I should leave the wild hairs or clone them out.

3-Light Setup

Key Light: 2x2' soft box to camera left metered at f/8
    Fill Light: large white reflector to camera right
    Rim/Kicker: large gridded strip boxes to camera left and right metered at f/5.6

diagram_medium.png?1360104114

D700: 1/250 @ f/8 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 82mm
    DSC_9321-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2013
    Not sure how strong of a fan you used, but it looks like only the small wispy hairs are blowing and not the main body of hair. Perhaps crank the fan up a notch or two?
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2013
    Got to love accent lights. Good job
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2013
    Thanks guys. I had the fan turned up higher but it was bugging her eyes so I turned it down. I'll try to reposition it next time to see if she's more comfortable.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2013
    Day 18 - Low Key

3-Light Setup

Key Light: AB800 with 7" reflector & 10° grid metered at f/8
    Rim/Kicker: AB400s in gridded strip boxes camera right & left metered at f/5.6

diagram_medium.png?1360202440

D700: 1/250 @ f/8 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 110mm
    DSC_9344-Edit-X2.jpg

For some reason the size is showing artifacts on the background. Not there when viewed at full-size. Also, I shot this with a 30° grid on the key light.

D700: 1/250 @ f/8 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 90mm
    DSC_9354-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    Not her best lighting pattern. Good to know the effects of different patterns and type of lighting.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    I agree Hack. One of the nice products of this project with trying to many light patterns on the same person. She told me this morning, she doesn't like how she looks with the "dark lighting setups".

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    Do the same set up but with a box for the main and keep in on the floor aimed up and the kickers just kissing the sides of her face. Main 1 to 2 stops more than the kickers. See if you like it.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Do the same set up but with a box for the main and keep in on the floor aimed up and the kickers just kissing the sides of her face. Main 1 to 2 stops more than the kickers. See if you like it.

Interesting. Will try. Should I use my large or smaller soft box?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    Go big young man, go big.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2013
    Lol.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2013
    Day 19

2-Light Setup

Key Light: AB800 in 2x2' soft box on boom on camera left metered at f/8
    Fill Light: AB400 in large gridded strip box on camera right metered at f/5.6

diagram_medium.png?1360380705

D700: 1/250 @ f/7.1 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 140mm
    DSC_9389-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2013
    Day 20 - Conjunctivitis

Had to get creative today. My wife has a pretty bad case of conjunctivitis in her left eye. It's totally bloodshot and really swollen. I had it in both eyes a couple of weeks ago so I guess I gave it to her. Just passing on the favor my niece passed on to me. My wife makes 6 people in our family that have gotten it now.

Nevertheless, I had to find a way to shoot her portrait but hide her left eye. A requirement she made for shooting her today. I'm pretty happy with results and her back looks pretty badass!

2-Light Setup

Key Light: AB400 in large gridded strip box set to camera right metered at f/5.6. Bottom half of the box was flagged with a large piece of black foam- core.
    Kicker/Rim: AB400 in large gridded strip box set to camera left metered at f/2.8

diagram_medium.png?1360381411

D700: 1/250 @ f/5.6 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 102mm
    DSC_9427-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2013
    Nice! I agree, the muscle tone and lighting on her back is badass! Black backdrop or just lit to be black?
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2013
    Thanks. It's actually the same seamless gray backdrop as the others, but with no light. The grids on the strip boxes really keep the light focused.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    Love the ratio. Why did you flag the main?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    I didn't really need to for the shot I posted in landscape but I originally wanted to shoot this in portrait and I was getting more light than I wanted on her lower back. I originally wanted to shoot this in portrait.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2013
    Day 21

3-Light Setup:

Key Light: AB800 in 2x2' soft box metered at f/5.6
    Kickers: 2 AB400s in large gridded strip boxes metered at f/5.6

diagram_medium.png?1360521392

DSC_9437-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2013
    Ok, so, if your using alien bees for kickers, is there any reason to buy to 10x36 strip boxes vs. using the 24x36 boxes and flagging them? Just wondering if the bigger boxes would be more generally useful since they are about the same price.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2013
    some possibilities......
    When you flag a light it does divert the light from hitting the subject but it has to go somewhere so it bounces around and then back possibly.
    Sometimes you don't have enough room on the side for a bigger box.
    There are times when you want a harsher shadow so you might want to use a smaller strip box. Various sizes are just part of your arsenal.
    Flagging material is alot cheaper than buying new kicker boxes.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2013
    Question for you Alex..........if main and kickers are at 5.6 why are the kickers brighter? There's a head scratcher.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2013
    Hmm... Good question Hack. Is it a trick question?

Couple things come to mind, although I'm not quite sure either is correct. First, the kickers are gridded so the light is much more concentrated coming out of the box. As such, I would assume the light is a bit harder. The key was not gridded so the light is feathered a bit more, make for softer highlights. Another thing is that the key was pointing at the top of the hat, so it's a tad diffused down on the face.

Lastly, although I'm just basing this on observation and nothing scientific, the light hitting the sides of her face could appear to be brighter because of the angle of the surface to the camera. Maybe something to do with light refraction on oblique angles... I noticed that highlights on edges always appear shinier/brighter than on flat surfaces.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2013
    Don't know the exact physics rule but light coming at you is brighter than light going away.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2013
    Hey Alex what kind of strip boxes with grids are you using? I am looking at picking up two
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2013
    Hey Alex what kind of strip boxes with grids are you using? I am looking at picking up two

My strip boxes are off-brand that I ordered through Amazon. I believe it's this one right here:

LINK EDITED

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G5VZ6C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had them for about 2 years now and they work great. No complaints on the materials. The only small nit I have is that they are the easiest boxes to break down and reassemble. At least not like my Paul C Buff boxes with the umbrella-style collapsibility (is that a word?). But I don't break them down so it's absolutely a moot point for me.

One thing I like about them is that they pretty long. Longer than most of the strip boxes I researched when I was shopping for them.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2013
    Thats what I am looking for is really long strip boxes and I notices yours were really long. The link you sent me is that for both the softbox and grid? Thanks for the info Alex! Also did you mean they are or arent the easiest to break down and reassemble? I plan on taking these puppies on the road!