Options

365 Portrait Lighting Project

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2013
    Thats what I am looking for is really long strip boxes and I notices yours were really long. The link you sent me is that for both the softbox and grid? Thanks for the info Alex! Also did you mean they are or arent the easiest to break down and reassemble? I plan on taking these puppies on the road!

Yes. They come with the grids included. The grids are probably the most cheaply made piece the box but they do the trick.

And I meant they're NOT that easy to break down & reassemble. Typo sorry. It's not that they're horribly difficult. I'm just spoiled by the Paul C Buff boxes I have. The PCB boxes fold up just like an umbrella. The strips I have do so more like other boxes. They have a speed ring that attaches to the strobe. The speed ring has little holes all the way around it. The box has 4 "poles" that you slide into the the sleeves and then get inserted into the holes in the speed ring. It's almost like a putting up a tent. Everything is held up with tension.

I can imagine if you're a small person, it may be hard to maneuver the box around. I don't find it difficult at all though, just not as easy as the PCBs.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2013
    Ok so it wont be any different then my Photo Flex Octodome then. No biggy just making sure. Im 6-2 so I dont think these will be an issue!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2013
    I've got two Buff softboxes, the only thing I dislike about them is the material they are made of. It is some type of Heavy plastic material that I repeat is heavy. Maybe I have an older style. Larson has about the best but they are very pricey.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2013
    Day 22 - Her New Hat

So while at the mall, we picked up a couple of hats for her. My wife is not a hat wearer but she wants to start wearing hats. This is the one she liked the most and wanted to wear it for this portrait.

3-Light Setup

Key Light: AB800 in 2x2' soft box metered at f/5.6
    Kickers: 2 AB400s in large gridded strip boxes metered at f/5.6
    Fill: Large white reflector

diagram_medium.png?1360987868

DSC_9467-Edit-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2013
    Day 23 - She wasn't feeling well

She woke up feeling pretty cruddy but she was still up to taking our daily portrait for the project. Same light setup as the day before since I didn't want to fuss to much with her not feeling well. This was a one shot deal, literally.

3-Light Setup

diagram_medium.png?1360987868

DSC_9475-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2013
    Day 24 - Feeling worse

So she felt worse this day. We took a photo but on the condition I would absolutely not share it with anyone. So no photo for day 24. Sorry.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2013
    Day 25 - Feeling better

Decided to get a little more creative. Went with a jazzy, low key look. She's wearing one of my straw fedoras which has never looks so damn good.

2-Light Setup:

2 x AB400, each in a large gridded strip box about 2' behind her and 1.5 to the sides. Both metered at f/5.6.

diagram_medium.png?1360988612

DSC_9509-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC_9500-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2013
    Day 26

3-light Setup:

diagram_medium.png?1360990368

DSC_9529-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2013
    Day 27

Very similar setup as Day 26, except I added a round white reflector on her left side, right outside of the camera frame. I also lowered the main so it was at the same height as her head. In Day 26, it was about two feet over her head and pointed down.

3-light Setup:

diagram_medium.png?1360990796

DSC_9541-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2013
    Question for you all. Do you find the diagrams helpful or would you prefer for me to take and post a pull-back of the setup?

The pull-back would be much easier for me but I can continue doing the diagrams if you guys find them more helpful. Let me know.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2013
    pull backs for sure!
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2013
    Day 28

3-Light Setup:

Main: AB800 in 2x2' soft box metered at f/8 - camera left
    Fill: Round white reflector - camera right
    Kicker: AB400 in gridded strip box metered at f/5.6 - camera right
    BG Light: AB400 in gridded strip box metered at f/4 - camera left

Pull Back:

DSC_9622-XL.jpg

DSC_9602-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2013
    It's all about the kicker. It makes a big difference in a quality photography. Love the masculine lean and the facial pp.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2013
    Absolutely Hack. If I've learned anything from this project so far is that a kicker makes all the difference in the world. You mentioned earlier in this thread that most Pros have 1 or 2 light setups that they learn and master. Well, I've figured out that my favorite is the 3 light setup I've used on most of these shots. That combo, with varying light ratios, can give you a pretty wide range of professional looking shots.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    John!John! Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    Question for you all. Do you find the diagrams helpful or would you prefer for me to take and post a pull-back of the setup?

The pull-back would be much easier for me but I can continue doing the diagrams if you guys find them more helpful. Let me know.

Personally, I prefer pull backs.
    John

"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2013
    Day 29

3-Light Setup:

Main: AB800 in 2x2' soft box metered at f/8 - camera left
    Fill: AB400 in gridded strip box - not metered, adjusted to taste
    Kicker: AB400 in gridded strip box metered at f/5.6 - camera right

Pull Back:

DSC_9666-L.jpg

DSC_9659-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2013
    Day 30

3-Light Setup:

Main: AB800 in 2x2' soft box metered at f/8 - center
    Kicker left: AB400 in gridded strip box metered at f/5.6
    Kicker right: AB400 in gridded strip box metered at f/5.6

Pull Back:

DSC_9688-L.jpg

DSC_9683-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2013
    Alex - I was reading the reviews on the strip boxes you sent me the link to and they say they dont really fit the Alienbees very well. Have you had any problems with them? I have an Einstein as well and it is a tad bit smaller and I am worried it wont fit.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2013
    After her viewing all of these which side of the face does she fancy as her good side?

Question for you as a photographer photographing a client, which side do you feel is the lesser side?
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2013
    Alex - I was reading the reviews on the strip boxes you sent me the link to and they say they dont really fit the Alienbees very well. Have you had any problems with them? I have an Einstein as well and it is a tad bit smaller and I am worried it wont fit.

I just went through my order history on Amazon and realize I listed the wrong link. It's actually this set of strip boxes on I own. They were sold as a pair. I don't have any issues with the speed ring fitting my ABs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G5VZ6C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OH... and I will go back an edit the other post in case someone else stumbles on it.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    After her viewing all of these which side of the face does she fancy as her good side?

Question for you as a photographer photographing a client, which side do you feel is the lesser side?

I don't think she has a preference. For me, I think I like her right side more than her left.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2013
    I just went through my order history on Amazon and realize I listed the wrong link. It's actually this set of strip boxes on I own. They were sold as a pair. I don't have any issues with the speed ring fitting my ABs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G5VZ6C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OH... and I will go back an edit the other post in case someone else stumbles on it.

Thanks Alex. Sorry for all the questions, but when it says 2 front screens and one baffle is it referring to the inner difusion panel, the front diffusion panel, and the grid?
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2013
    Thanks Alex. Sorry for all the questions, but when it says 2 front screens and one baffle is it referring to the inner difusion panel, the front diffusion panel, and the grid?

I'm looking at the link now and I'm not really sure. It's been a long time since I ordered them but I recall the grids being specifically mentioned in the ad and also pictured. I'm not sure if they changed the ad but I don't see it now.

When I ordered them, they came with an inner diffuser (baffle), the front diffuser and the grid. I think they may have also come with a nylon bag too but not sure.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Day 31

3-Light Setup:

Main: AB800 in 2x2' soft box metered at f/8 - left

Pull Back:

DSC_9708-XL.jpg

DSC_9700-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Day 32

3-Light Setup:

Fill: Large round reflector - right

Pull Back:

DSC_9725-XL.jpg

DSC_9721-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Day 33

3-Light Setup:

Main: AB800 in 2x2' soft box metered at f/8 - center
    Fill: Large white reflector - below but not pictured

Pull Back:

DSC_9726-XL.jpg

DSC_9750-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    I'm no expert by any means, but I find myself gravitating towards Day #31 and the shadows the setup produced. I think it really did your wife's skin tones justice. Definitely like it more than Day #32. As a side note, I've very much enjoyed your posting these and the setups. Seeing the results has been very educational.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Glad you're enjoying the thread. I was starting to worry that people have had just about enough of my photos of my wife. Laughing.gif

Yeah. I agree with you on Day 31 compared to some of the recent ones. Although, I really do like Day 30 as well. I actually have Day 30 set as my wallpaper on my phone. With that said, I think today's photo, Day 34, is pretty damn great. Haven't uploaded it yet. Will do later today. Just need to take the pull back shot which I forgot to do this morning but I still have everything setup.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2013
    Day 34

3-Light Setup:

Fill: Large white reflector - right

Pull Back: I forgot to take it, sorry guys

DSC_9782-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2013
    Day 35

3-Light Setup:

Fill: Large white reflector - directly under main

Pull Back:

DSC_9793-XL.jpg

DSC_9799-Edit-X2.jpg