Options

365 Portrait Lighting Project

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2013
    Hmm... The edit is a bit much for my taste but it could be that you're working with a low res copy. I try to use a light hand on PP because I'm always afraid of going over the top. I will do a little more PP on the shot I took today and post tomorrow.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2013
    I did warm it up a tad too much. If your ever on the East Coast please give me a shout out, oh, you've got to bring her along.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I did warm it up a tad too much. If your ever on the East Coast please give me a shout out, oh, you've got to bring her along.

We're joined at the hip Hack so it's a packaged deal. Kind of like if you buy a diamond, they throw in a free polishing rag. rolleyes1.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2013
    I have to disagree here. There are some good things here that Charles did, but I think the original looks good. I think the re-edit went too far over the top honestly.

Obviously there is room for personal preference, and I respect your right to have yours, but have you ever seen Vogue magazine?

i-HQMZb8Z-L.jpg

i-44CzQGH-L.jpg

i-c6HxXDG-L.jpg

All Photos copyright there respective owners.

http://www.vogue.com
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2013
    I will see if she's willing to do that 2nd cover shot. Maybe next weekend. Stay tuned.

I hope she is expecting me to get her the necklace! Laughing.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2013
    I'm just sayin...

i-SNzhsqC-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2013
    Day 58

So Hack asked me to step up my game as far as PP work. I spent a little bit more time with today's shot. Did a little more skin work, mainly to even the skin tone, cleaned up the hair a bit more than usual and I added a bit more contrast than I usually do through a couple curve layers. One to set the black point, which I always do and a second to increase the highlights and shadows on her face.

It looks pretty good on my monitor. Doesn't look over the top but definitely dramatic. Not sure if it translates the same on your end though. ne_nau.gif

3-Light Setup:

Main: 2x2' soft box directly above and metered at f/11
    Fill: 2 piece of white foam-core below left and right
    Kickers: Large gridded strip boxes on left and right metered at f/9

Pull Back:

DSC_0495-L.jpg

Shot:

DSC_0696-Edit-X3.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2013
    Day 59

3-Light Setup:

Pull Back:

DSC_0495-L.jpg

Shot:

DSC_0715-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2013
    Day 60

Had more time this morning so had a little more fun with this shot. Again, doing a little more post work since Hack set the challenge. I de-saturated this a tad and added a high pass filter layer to bring out a little more local contrast between the highlights and shadows. I also added a bit of texture/clouds to the backdrop.

I know this may be a bit too much for some people but it's not a shot that's intended for a family album.

3-Light Setup:

Pull Back:

DSC_0495-L.jpg

Shot:

DSC_0738-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Did you have this latest photo in it's own thread? I thought I remembered seeing it somewhere else. Anyway... This is the first one I have seen from you that I think I don't really like. Not that I don't like your wife in a bra... I would have to be dead for that. But something looks odd in the face. I am not sure exactly what it is or even where, either the expression or maybe just eyes. Regardless something seems off to me. It could have to do with the processing, but I don't think so.

Well, there you have it. I am still loving this thread and am amazed how how much you have improved just looking back over the last two months. Keep it up!!!
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • Options
    RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    PhilD41 wrote: »
    Regardless something seems off to me. It could have to do with the processing, but I don't think so.

Well, there you have it. I am still loving this thread and am amazed how how much you have improved just looking back over the last two months. Keep it up!!!

I'm with Phil. Not sure what, but part of it is the shadow on her left (right side photo) jawline where the hair comes in. Gives a funny edge to the side of her face almost. Like it's a little caved in. I've admired enough of your wife's pics to know her face probably isn't caved in though. rolleyes1.gif

I have no problem with the processing, as I'm kind of a fan of the look. Especially on really physically fit women.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    the shadows around her eyes mismatched
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2013
    I don't disagree with you guys. I think it's her expression. She has her lips pursed or something that makes her look a bit off. I was going to mention it in the post but I thought I'd hold back to see if you guys would see it too.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    the shadows around her eyes mismatched

Man... you guys are good. I actually composited and flipped her right eyeball onto her left eyeball. Her right eyeball was completely covered by hair from her bangs. Looked even more odd than my composite.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Man... you guys are good. I actually composited and flipped her right eyeball onto her left eyeball. Her right eyeball was completely covered by hair from her bangs. Looked even more odd than my composite.

Now if I could only be as good WITH a camera, I'd be set! I'm a great armchair quarterback though. More beer that way. :D
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2013
    No matter how good you are in photo shop, eyes are the worst to do. The only time I'm successful is the same shot with glasses I get the glare and I tell them don't move and take another without glasses and then paste the eye in.

I don't like what the high frontal main does to her nose line. I don't think that is her best lighting pattern.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2013
    Love the portrait that was used on the Vogue cover. Like your version and also POP version on the cover.
    Less is always more with eyes, doesn't take much to make them look "off".
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2013
    Day 61

I changed up the setup ever so slightly. I added a center reflector (foam core). This adds just a bit more fill from directly below that fills the shadows under the nose and chin very nicely. One "side effect" of the tri reflector that I didn't anticipate is the cool catchlights it creates in the lower part of the eye. It adds texture and lightens the eyes.

3-Light Setup:

Fill: 3 pieces of white foam-core below left, center and right

Pull Back:

DSC_0776-XL.jpg

Shot:

DSC_0771-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2013
    Day 62

Same setup as the day before. Today was gym day and she wore her hair up in pigtails. She hasn't done this in years and I seriously could not wipe the smile off my face because she looked so adorable. We decided to shoot the photos right after the gym, before she got ready for work. I couldn't decide on one shot so here are the 4 frames I shot.

3-Light Setup:

Pull Back:

DSC_0776-XL.jpg

Shots:

DSC_0778-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC_0785-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC_0787-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC_0794-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2013
    Three screams!!!
  • Options
    PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2013
    Ha!! Love these. The last of the three is my favorite! She just looks like she is having so much fun. Great job!
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2013
    Day 63

My wife like the shot of Kate Upton on the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition so it inspired today's shot. She doesn't own a white parker (yet) like Upton wore so we went with black.

3-Light Setup:

Pull Back:

DSC_0776-XL.jpg

Shots:

DSC_0798-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Absolutely love the hand pose .
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Thanks Hack. Since they were so prominent in the photo, I made sure I paid close attention to their placement and pose.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Love how the wrists are pushed in. There is an old Texas rule in posing....If it will bend, bend it......if it won't, break it!!
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Hack,

You have me focusing a bit more on post work now and with the recent "Retouch" post, I thought I try a go at being a PS MUA:

DSC_0798-Edit-Edit-2-X3.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Nice!!
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    At the risk of giving you the impression that I have been staring at your wife's breasts... My only nit is the fur, presumably, sticking out around the left breast. Just feels a bit odd to me and breaks the flow of the smooth skin.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    At the risk of giving you the impression that I have been staring at your wife's breasts... My only nit is the fur, presumably, sticking out around the left breast. Just feels a bit odd to me and breaks the flow of the smooth skin.

Laughing.gif. If I had a dollar for each guy I caught staring at my wife's boobs, seriously, I'd have thousands. Costco is the best place for this. I don't have a jealous bone in my body so no worries man. It would be silly for me to share images such as this latest if I was going to get bent out of shape for guys admiring her assets. Laughing.gif

But yes, you are right. She actually pointed it out when she saw the photo. Said it look like her boob was growing hair. I left it because it didn't bother me too much. These things don't most often but now that you pointed it out, I will probably clean it up.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Really like 4 in the post above. Lots of energy.
    The rework in your last shot is spot on. Very nice portrait.