Options

365 Portrait Lighting Project

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Day 4 - Rembrandt Lighting

There are two things that make up Rembrandt Lighting… A light on one half the face, and a triangle of light on the shadowed side of the face called a chiaroscuro.

So far, this has been the toughest setup of the project because getting the chiaroscuro right takes a bit of fussing around. Even with all my fussing, I'm not quite sure I got it. I also get the feeling that a person with a more prominent nose will be a bit easier.

I started with the key light in the normal 45 degree height position but it didn't work. It wasn't until I got the light just above head height that the triangle became distinct. I think using a smaller softbox or the large box in horizontal postion may have worked better. I tried it in horizontal position but it threw too much wrap around light on the opposite cheek and we were a bit rushed this morning so I ditched the idea and went back to vertical position.

2-Light Setup

lighting-diagram-1358996952-L.png

Key light - 30x60" softbox set to f/5.6
    Fill light - none
    Hair light - 30 degree gridded strobe set to f/5.6
    BG Light - none

1/250 @ f/5.6 ISO 100, 170mm focal length

DSC_8895-X2.jpg

Here is a second shot with only the addition of a 3rd light for fill. I used a 42" shoot-through umbrella set to f/3.5.

lighting-diagram-1358996456-L.png

DSC_8924-Edit-X2.jpg

Here is a pull-back of the setup.

DSC_8928-L.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    I'm just diggin the pics of you wife, wrong or right they dont get old! JK But Hackbones comments are great, and looks like you applied them well on this latest set. Awesome
  • Options
    PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Well done again!!! I like the first without the fill better I think. One down side to this thread... you are making me want a lot more gear than I have. Great setup and I am loving the pull-backs! Keep it up! Oh, Hackbones... were you suggesting the first or second pose with the hand on the hip comment above? Pose #2 here looks a little forced and much less natural than the first. Just curious as it was good feedback. The shoulders look much, much better.
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    PhilD41 wrote: »
    Well done again!!! I like the first without the fill better I think. One down side to this thread... you are making me want a lot more gear than I have. Great setup and I am loving the pull-backs! Keep it up! Oh, Hackbones... were you suggesting the first or second pose with the hand on the hip comment above? Pose #2 here looks a little forced and much less natural than the first. Just curious as it was good feedback. The shoulders look much, much better.

Don't I know the feeling of gear envy. Laughing.gif

As for the last two, I'm not sure how I feel about the first one. I like it but I think I can do better. Also, I don't know if it works to well for the shape of my wife's face. Rembrandt is typically used to shoot men. It's a more masculine light form.

I actually like the pose in the 2nd shot better. I like the shoulders and her head position. I also like her expression. Very natural for her.

One thing I should mention is that I'm not doing any adjustment of exposure, dodging/burning in these shots. My goal is to get that right in camera and the light meter is really making that quite simple. Post I've done all these shots is sharpening, a bit of the heal brush for a couple zits and also cleaning up of wild hairs. I've done a curve adjustment on a couple of the shots with the beauty dish to set black point because it spills a little and causes flare.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Beautiful, model, lighting, explanations, and photography.

What more can I say?

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    Sam wrote: »
    Beautiful, model, lighting, explanations, and photography.

What more can I say?

Sam

Thanks Sam. Hope to see you again this year when I travel up to your hood. I'll let you know.

BTW, we took today's portrait this morning. Can't wait to get home to see the shots on my puter. I didn't have much time to get a good look on the LCD but I think I got a couple good ones.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Alex, if you have time try another experiment. Point the box at a 90 degree to her, take a shot at the back of the box, have her take a step forward and do another shot, then another stop with shot all the way to the forward edge of the box (close to you). Keep your exposure the same and check out the differences. Great thread.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Alex, if you have time try another experiment. Point the box at a 90 degree to her, take a shot at the back of the box, have her take a step forward and do another shot, then another stop with shot all the way to the forward edge of the box (close to you). Keep your exposure the same and check out the differences. Great thread.

Makes sense Chuck. I will try that tomorrow or on the weekend. I have some ideas of how the changes in position relative to the box will affect how the light wraps but am really curious to see them "on paper". You know, this is really shaping up to be a very effective project for really understanding light. I've already developed a better understanding of how different the light properties are from a softbox and a beauty dish. One thing that I have yet to try but definitely plan to is to see the difference in output and quality of a shoot through vs. bounce umbrella.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    good job with the eyes this time around.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    Day 5 - Butterfly with Strip Box Kickers

Last time I did Butterfly with a beauty dish. This time I used my large softbox as the key light and added my two strip boxes as kickers. Really love the way this setup turned out.

3-Light Setup

Key Light - 30x60" Softbox set @ f/5.6
    Kickers - 2 x Large Strip Boxes set @ f/5.6

lighting-diagram-1359067011-L.png

DSC_8950-Edit-2-X2.jpg

DSC_8946-Edit-X2.jpg

I think these are my favorite shots of the project so far. Really love how soft the light is but yet it still has nice contrast.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    Like these a lot. This type of light position does accentuate the width of the nose. Do love the color. The darker clothing adds to it.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Love the look on these! Very nice indeed.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    Like these a lot. This type of light position does accentuate the width of the nose. Do love the color. The darker clothing adds to it.

I love her nose Chuck. I tell her it reminds me of a little "Kirby Vacuum". Laughing.gif

And yes, the colors really come together in this image. Again, something to pay more attention to in the future.
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Love the look on these! Very nice indeed.

Thanks Zero.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Wow. I love those..!!

Great job Alex.

Marcelo
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Better each day!
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    nice lighting study - tnx for sharing
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    Day 5 first image is my pick. It just has a different look/feel then the others which by the way are also great.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    Im curious. Are there uncovered windows in the room, or perhaps pictures on the wall. Her eyes have catch lights in the corners that don't seem to be accounted for by the lighting diagram. Perhaps your getting reflections from the rim lights bouncing off picture glass. Not that its an issue in the pictures mind you, just curious as it struck me as being ever so slightly odd.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Im curious. Are there uncovered windows in the room, or perhaps pictures on the wall. Her eyes have catch lights in the corners that don't seem to be accounted for by the lighting diagram. Perhaps your getting reflections from the rim lights bouncing off picture glass. Not that its an issue in the pictures mind you, just curious as it struck me as being ever so slightly odd.

Yes there are. Two camera right, about 8-10 feet from her, there is an 8x5' window but it's in pretty deep shade at the time we're shooting since it's still early or late and there is a large covered porch on the other side. There is also a large clock with a glass face on a wall, to camera left, facing her.

I don't see any catchlights that don't make sense but I didn't look too closely.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    Day 6 - Fashionista

OK... so I winged it a bit this morning. She came downstairs this morning wearing one of her kick-ass leather jackets so I switched things up to go for a fashionista-badass look. Not sure I nailed that but I like it. Really interested in what you guys think about this setup.

3-Light Setp

Key Light - 30x60" Softbox set @ f/5.6 to camera right
    2 Kickers - Large gridded strip boxes. Camera Left set @ f/4; camera right @ f/5.6

lighting-diagram-1359136958-L.png

We started with a cool red stool we have:

D700: 1/250 @ f/5.6 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 116mm
    DSC_8992-Edit-X2.jpg

But then I ditched it because I thought it was competing for attention too much:

D700: 1/250 @ f/5.6 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 102mm
    DSC_9016-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    Alex, you may not have known but most people have and open and closed side to their body. You can find which is the open/closed side by 1st drawing a line through...nevermind hehe.

killer stuff!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    Alex, you may not have known but most people have and open and closed side to their body. You can find which is the open/closed side by 1st drawing a line through...nevermind hehe.

killer stuff!

LMAO right now. You know why? And I'm being totally serious when I say this, my wife has absolutely no clue how beautiful she is. Don't get me wrong, she knows she's not ugly. But she just doesn't get it. When she saw these two photos, her comment was "Oh, I don't like the way my eyes look. You got my loppy eye." headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gifscratch SMH right now. But that's one of her endearing qualities. She doesn't take herself too seriously and I love that.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    Love the lighting....if you want to get picky she has an oval face and your lighting is showing it at its fullest due to the viewers left side kicker hitting the face and opening the shadows. I would move that back for more of a rim light on the body and bring some more shadow to the side of the face to slim it. For the future dark hair needs more of a kicker than a blond. The same amt of light for dark hair would blow out a blond.

That left kicker is lighting her jacket and competing with her face. Tone that down.

I love the pose......but her ahems are leading out of the photo. I would bring her left arm around and rest her elbow on her leg to broaden the base and close the pose.

I know this is a lighting demo and for that it is super.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    Chuck,

Your comments are spot on. One of the nits I had and would change is that there isn't enough contrast on the face shadows, because of the kicker, like you said, opening up the shadows a bit too much. As for the hair light, I still struggle a bit with how much to add. From what I've read, the rule is that the hair light should be set at the same ratio as the fill to key. Here, I have it set to a 1:1 ratio to the key light, which is too much. I will tone that down some to maybe a 1.5:1 or 2:1.

As for the pose, I do have some shots with her left arm positioned how you mention. These two shots really stood out to me because her expression so I processed these. I will post one more of the other shots with the mod to the pose.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    With the accents don't worry too much about using the meter. Use it to get close but then chimp to get the effect your looking for. The ratio is tough to use due to dark hair and the face v/s blond hair and the face.

Your getting to the point that there is less to cc on for the lighting now start working on the posing. Get one or two light schemes that you like and stick with those, most photographers do.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    With the accents don't worry too much about using the meter. Use it to get close but then chimp to get the effect your looking for. The ratio is tough to use due to dark hair and the face v/s blond hair and the face.

Your getting to the point that there is less to cc on for the lighting now start working on the posing. Get one or two light schemes that you like and stick with those, most photographers do.

Yeah, I was reading about Monte Zucker, which you mentioned in an earlier post. He basically had one light setup that he used in all his studio work. That makes total sense and it really does simplify things. What I am realizing is that it's more about consistency and replicating what you do than knowing a bunch of different light setups. I guess it's good to know them for very specific cases but for your bread n butter shots, it's better to stick to one setup that you can nail every time.

I like the setup I used in the last two days. It's easy and effective in getting the look I like. And it can be changed with just slight tweaks to the position of the lights. I will definitely work on my posing more moving forward. I downloaded an e-book last night called "500 poses for photographing women". Its just that, 500 poses. Starting from head and shoulders and working to full length shots. Looks good and will work as a good guide till it's more second nature for me.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    LMAO right now. You know why? And I'm being totally serious when I say this, my wife has absolutely no clue how beautiful she is.

Baloney! she does, she's just being modest.. Lucky you.
  • Options
    PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    How did I miss a day... DOH, oh well. You day #5 shots are pure money. Absolutely amazing. Don't get me wrong, day #6 is superb as well, just like the earlier two better. I don't know how to do it all, I am having a hard time finding the time just to look at them all and process all the wonderful information in this thread!

Only comment I will make, the first shot from Day #5 really shows the makeup. Not really an issue, but it is the first one that I focus on it. Kind of like HD TV. The better the quality of image the more you can really see. Great work and keep it up... and yes, from your comments and photos I would say you have a keeper in that there woman. :)
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2013
    Day 7 - Headshot

So we were both quite busy all day today... her running errands and me doing yard work. We almost forgot to take today's photo. She was getting ready to call it a night but we were able to grab a quick headshot. The setup is very similar to yesterday's setup but I made some tweaks based on Hack's advice. Most notably is the move of the kickers and dropping the power on them a tad.

3-Light Setup

Key Light - 30x60" Softbox set @ f/5.6 to camera right
    2 Kickers - Large gridded strip boxes. Camera Left set @ f/4; camera right @ f/4
    Fill Light - Large round white reflector

lighting-diagram-1359260077-L.png

D700: 1/250 @ f/5.6 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 200mm
    DSC_9055-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2013
    I'm in love......with the lighting. for the heck of it try the exact same setup and pose just put the main on the left side but keep the exact pose. You'll get a short light and see if you like the results better.

this thread is super.